Menu

Goodnight Moon--Why do people like this book?

mo2

At least it's not that uber-creepy book, "I'll Love You Forever". (shudder)

Yeeeeeeah, a mother-in-law driving to the home of her GROWN SON AND DAUGHTER-IN-LAW....breaking and entering using the ladder she has cleverly brought with her.....in the wee hours of the night.....climbing into his window and rocking him to sleep?

CREEEEEEEEEEEEEPY!!! :eek:

:scared:

PAGING DR. FREUD!!

We're Good Night Moon lovers in our house.... A comb, and a brush, and a bowl full of mush.

I have always thought the little bunny was procrastinating his sleep time by insisting on saying Good Night to every item he could name. ;) I also love the transition in the art from bright to dim.

It's a great demonstration of a wonderful bedtime routine.

Love You Forever is a book I love to hate.

At least it's not that uber-creepy book, "I'll Love You Forever". (shudder)

Yeeeeeeah, a mother-in-law driving to the home of her GROWN SON AND DAUGHTER-IN-LAW....breaking and entering using the ladder she has cleverly brought with her.....in the wee hours of the night.....climbing into his window and rocking him to sleep?

CREEEEEEEEEEEEEPY!!! :eek:

:scared:

PAGING DR. FREUD!!

Bwahahahaha! My thoughts, exactly! Thank the Lord I never bought that book; just read through it at a bookstore back when it was first published and everyone was raving on about it. It made me shudder. Bleh.

Goodnight Moon is sweet, but was never a favorite here, either. Mine preferred DK Publishing's "PB Bear" books. And I can still recite DK's "Teddy Bear ABC" by heart. LOL Oh, and Corduroy...man my oldest just loved that story. It'll be fun to see what my newest son likes as he gets a little older.

I've never cared for it either, but I've learned to repress the gagging and retching long enough to read it to my 3-year-old (and her brother before her) on occasion.

While it does have its own sort of loose rhythm, it is jarring and clunky overall. "Moon" does not actually rhyme with "moon"--it's the same word. The illustrations are too garish for my taste; predominant ugly shades of orange and green throughout is a color scheme better calculated to induce nightmares than pleasant sleep.

That's my two (or maybe twenty-five) cents. :tongue_smilie:

I'm not a fan, although my toddler likes the rhythm of it.

I do, however, find the parody Goodnight Goon quite hilarious. :D

This author also does The Runaway Mummy and Furious George (which my kids and I love, since George is, in part, furious because people keep calling him a monkey, when his lack of a tail proves that he is clearly an ape :lol. This is something that has infuriated my scientific and detail oriented oldest about Curious George since he was a wee one!)

We love Love You Forever here.

I'd much rather read Good Night, Moon than this. First of all, it's over much more quickly. Second, I find the mother crawling across the floor to be beyond creepy especially when she has to break into the son's house to do it! If I saw my mil crawling across my floor I would totally flip out!