Menu

Just had to perform CPR

I just had to perform CPR on a victim of a massive cardiac arrest. It happened at a restaurant, with all four of my kids watching. It was the scariest thing I've ever had to do in my life. I never thought I'd have to use my very ancient CPR training...not ever. I was wrong.

If you've never been certified or have let your certification lapse, please go get certified. Don't wait. You don't want to get into a situation like I was in tonight...the only one who knows CPR, but the training is so old you aren't sure you are doing it right. Something is better than nothing, I know, but how much better if I'd been more sure of what to do! Here's a link for how to perform it, but don't depend on this info. Go get certified, please!

http://www.mayoclinic.com/print/first-aid-cpr/FA00061/METHOD=print

And, in case you were wondering, I don't know if he made it. They were still working on him when I had to get my kiddos out of there, and it didn't look good.

I just had to perform CPR on a victim of a massive cardiac arrest. It happened at a restaurant, with all four of my kids watching. It was the scariest thing I've ever had to do in my life. I never thought I'd have to use my very ancient CPR training...not ever. I was wrong.

If you've never been certified or have let your certification lapse, please go get certified. Don't wait. You don't want to get into a situation like I was in tonight...the only one who knows CPR, but the training is so old you aren't sure you are doing it right. Something is better than nothing, I know, but how much better if I'd been more sure of what to do! Here's a link for how to perform it, but don't depend on this info. Go get certified, please!

And, in case you were wondering, I don't know if he made it. They were still working on him when I had to get my kiddos out of there, and it didn't look good.

Oh, wow. Thank you for doing that. And thanks for the reminder.

Please do continue the prayers for this man and his family. His son was there with him and thinks it was his fault (I guess they'd been moving something). They came screaming into the parking lot, so I don't know how long he was down before I got there, but he was already blue.

I'm so scared still, I think I might be sick. Thanks for listening...no one else is here right now but sleeping kiddos!

And how are you all doing now that the situation has passed? Is your adrenaline subsiding a little?

I remember sprinting shoeless and in the dark to the neighbor's house when she came over asking for help because her 19 mo old, a child I frequently babysat, was choking on a peanut m & m. He was dusky when I got there but was breathing okay (after I hung him upside down and thwacked him) by the time my mother's 911 call was transferred from our house to the family's house. I was 17 at the time and have always wondered how parents don't have this kind of training. Now that I'm older, I wonder why everyone doesn't have it.

It's been about eight years since I last certified. I think it's time for me to go sign up and take my two older children along -- my littlest is well-controlled on seizure meds but about a year ago we witnessed a teenager having his first seizure in a store. It's stuck with them all. Thanks for the timely reminder.

Hugs to you, prayers for your family and for the person you helped.

:scared: Not what you expect AT ALL when going to a restaurant with your family!!

So glad you had the presence of mind to remember what you did.

(((Hugs))) to you and your kids.

Praying for this man now. Hope they'll let you know how he does.

And how are you all doing now that the situation has passed? Is your adrenaline subsiding a little?

Still feeling green around the gills, 3 hours later. I'm pretty sure he didn't make it, and I'm wishing I could have done more for him. I know that God is in control of these things and had a purpose for me being there, whether it was for the man or his son (who helped with the rescue breathing...maybe he'll remember someday that he did all he could). My very human side is just wishing I'd have been superwoman and been able to make the situation magically better.

We didn't get his name, so I'm sure I won't find out what happened unless there is an obit.

I just got certified a few months ago. It is different. Now the procedure is to breathe twice and pump thirty times fast for 5 cycles.

Good for you for having the presence of mind to apply what you know in such an emergency. Not all of us can respond as well as you.

my littlest is well-controlled on seizure meds but about a year ago we witnessed a teenager having his first seizure in a store. It's stuck with them all. Thanks for the timely reminder.

My brother stopped breathing the time he had his first seizure. We were all glad we were at home and that Dad knew CPR because brother stopped breathing. No one else in the household knew CPR but Dad. I was 13 at the time. What a fright and what a blessing Dad was there. I got my "Heart Saver Card" the next year at school (CPR training in health class).

Mary

Guest Amy in MS

Wow, TwinMom,

Good for you. My heart started racing just to see the title. I had to perform MtM once on a young boy and afterward, I was totally terrified. I still have shivers when I think about it.

I hope you and your children are doing well--and the gentleman and his son also.

Amy

You rock.

Having worked as a camp conselor, after school nanny, preschool teacher, van driver for the elderly, and now hospice nurse - I have been certified for years. It is amazing how often they change the ratio of chest compressions to breaths. I think it is 15 to 2....or maybe that's what it was in the begining and so I just can't get it out of my head.

I would have to know if he was OK. I once was first person to do anything at a car accident (just pressure to an open wound) - apparantly I was good b/c the cop told me to stay til the ambulance got there. It was years ago - the same night River Phoenix died. My man and his buddy lived....I went to the hospital the next morning to find them.

Twinmom - you are so brave and clear thinking in a crisis. How many cc to breaths did you do?

edit - i'm a bad nurse - it's 30 to 2!

i wish they would make up their minds once and for all. 15 to 2 sounds better. give me more air in my lungs!

Have you heard the newest thing in CPR, that the breathing part is not necessary?

How many cc to breaths did you do?

I hadn't heard that...good, since in the beginning he was sort of gasping and so I didn't do any immediate breathing. He was wedged in a car seat and I couldn't reach both face and chest...had to choose between compressions and air, so I just started constant compressions. As soon as I could, I had his son climb into the back and start breathing for him. I had him give two breaths to five compressions after that to try to "catch up" a bit. The paramedics arrived soon afterwards, so I let them take over.

It's really bugging me not to know what happened, but no one was in a position to exchange names. DH went back after we ran the kids home, and he believes the man was dying or already dead. They did take him to the hospital, so maybe not, but after a couple of shocks on scene they were only able to get a brief heartbeat...nothing stable. The son said he'd had heart problems before.

God bless you for doing that.

Have you heard the newest thing in CPR, that the breathing part is not necessary?

Mary

I checked on the heart association guidelines, and it says to use hands-only CPR, "if the bystander is unable or unwilling to provide rescue breaths."

They are not saying the breathing part is not necessary any longer. They also stipulate that hands-only CPR is best used when you see a person collapse. "Call 911 and then start hands-only CPR immediately."

The AHA set up the new guidelines because they found that most bystanders are worried that they might do something wrong or make things worse.

The brain can only live for a very limited amount of time without oxygen (4 minutes?), so just pumping the blood around won't help for long.

The brain can only live for a very limited amount of time without oxygen (4 minutes?), so just pumping the blood around won't help for long.

I always thought though, that all the compressions on the chest would naturally cause some air to be constantly going in and out of the lungs...wouldn't it?

How scary. My training is ancient as well... I've heard that they've updated what you are supposed to do (just chest compressions -- 30 a minute or something) hoping that more people will learn it and be more willing to do it (since they [on the news report anyway] say you don't even have to do mouth to mouth.)

It's so good that you were there though... something is indeed better than nothing. I hope he made it.

I always thought though, that all the compressions on the chest would naturally cause some air to be constantly going in and out of the lungs...wouldn't it?

Maybe a tiny bit, must with only chest compressions I doubt the air would be moving into the alveoli- it would only be moving in and out of the bronchial tubes- so no CO2/O2 exchange would be taking place.

I read the first few pages of this article by the American Heart Association (click on automatic download button), and it looks like hands-only CPR is just as good, if not better than traditional CPR if you are doing this for less than 6 minutes. After 6 minutes, the residual oxygen level in the blood goes too low. However- in the first 6 minutes it seems to be more effective to not pause compressions to give a breath!

That really surprised me, but it makes sense.

Thank you, Mary, for mentioning this- I had not been aware of changes in CPR recommendations. Time to renew!

Maybe a tiny bit, must with only chest compressions I doubt the air would be moving into the alveoli- it would only be moving in and out of the bronchial tubes- so no CO2/O2 exchange would be taking place.

I read the first few pages of this article by the American Heart Association (click on automatic download button), and it looks like hands-only CPR is just as good, if not better than traditional CPR if you are doing this for less than 6 minutes. After 6 minutes, the residual oxygen level in the blood goes too low. However- in the first 6 minutes it seems to be more effective to not pause compressions to give a breath!

That really surprised me, but it makes sense.

Thank you, PiCo for posting this. I appreciate the detail about the lungs. I also appreciate the research.

The first six minutes it's more effective to not pause for a breath, huh? Wow.

That really surprised me, but it makes sense

Thanks for that research! Funny, how that comforts me, since it was the choice I had to make under the circumstances. I know it's not even logical to think this, but I keep on thinking that I killed him because I didn't breathe for him at first. (Either that, or my compressions weren't hard enough and that did it!) However, we did get some breaths in (thanks to the son) before the paramedics arrived, and I know they were there in less than 4 minutes. I just don't know how long he was down before I got there.

I'm going to try to find out what happened, but I'm betting I won't be able to unless there is an obit.

Twinmom

I want to say thank you for doing what you did. Sending you cyber hugs.

To all those who don't think they could do it if faced with the situation: YES, you can -- the strength comes from the depths of your soul, but you CAN.

My dad had a heart attack last month while my son and I were visiting him. How on earth I got an unconscious 200-pound man out of a chair and to the floor to start CPR is beyond me -- but I did. You have strength beyond your imagination in situations -- emotional and physical strength.

Also, as a reminder, if anyone is ever faced with a situation like this and has not had CPR training (like me!) calling 911 is the way to go because they will walk you through it. That's how I helped my dad. My brave son was helping me and we were to the point that he was going to hold the phone to my ear as I was receiving further instruction, but the paramedics arrived at that moment.

Twinmom, your bravery today reminded me that I need to get CPR training. I've been lost in all my emotional stuff since I returned home, and I had forgotten that very important task.

All will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Wow, I'm going to go renew my CPR training as soon as I can after reading this, especially if the guidelines have changed. It's been over 8 years since I had my training, and I can't imagine having someone's life rest in my hands.

Twinmom, you're my hero! It really shows someone's strength of character, what they do when there's no time to think. Here are more hugs coming your way.

:grouphug:

Thanks to all for the encouragement, etc. that I received in response to this post. Since you all were so kind, I wanted to let you know that I found out today that the gentleman did pass away. So very sad for all involved. He was 62, married and was a father and grandfather to many.