Menu

How many PNW'ers or Oregonians are here?

I see a number of people located in Oregon or our region, but am curious as to how many there are exactly. I'd love to know where you live too.

I live in Yamhill, 30 miles SW of Portland, Oregon. How about the rest of you?

Blessings,

Lucinda

I feel like a country cousin... I am about 20 miles south west of Roseburg OR. Our gravel road doesn't have a name, just numbers for the logging trucks! I grew up in Texas but have been here 11 years and this is definitely HOME for me. I love it! (Hubby has been here 30 years).

chimed in. Are you coming north for the WHO homeschooling fair in June? SWB is speaking, as well as others. If there is interest, I'll have snacks and drinks afterwards. I live a stone's throw from the location.

I'll have to consider this. Thanks for letting me know! It would be cool to meet some of the forum members, not to mention SWB.

Blessings,

Lucinda

I feel like a country cousin... I am about 20 miles south west of Roseburg OR. Our gravel road doesn't have a name, just numbers for the logging trucks! I grew up in Texas but have been here 11 years and this is definitely HOME for me. I love it! (Hubby has been here 30 years).

I was born in Roseburg and grew up in Winston. Whenever I see a logging truck it feels like I'm back home!

Actually, I have lived in the Portland area the longest and that is where my heart is now. Yamhill is just about 30 miles SW, so we can go into the city whenever we want.

Blessings,

Lucinda

Okay, I just have to know WHERE! I grew up in Myrtle Creek!!!:)

I was born in Roseburg and grew up in Winston. Whenever I see a logging truck it feels like I'm back home!

Actually, I have lived in the Portland area the longest and that is where my heart is now. Yamhill is just about 30 miles SW, so we can go into the city whenever we want.

Blessings,

Lucinda

Same here. And since so many logging companies have gone out of business, I see log trucks from Roseburg and Myrtle Creek most frequently. It really does remind me of home.

Blessings,

Lucinda

I grew up in an oil town in Texas. The whole feel of Winston (blue collar, outdoor industry) strangely reminds me of small towns there. OH yeah, except for the giant trees!

Okay, I just have to know WHERE! I grew up in Myrtle Creek!!!:)

Oh no way!!:)

OK- We live off the grid south of Dillard (which is just south of Winston). Apparently my neighborhood is fairly well known- a bunch of California hippies settled some acreage in the hills in the early 70's, and we bought some of those acres in the late 90's. It's very beautiful, and the neighbors are a diverse mix folk. There still must be some great rumors about it, because when folks in town see my driver's license they ask if I live at the "nudist colony" :lol:.

I think Myrtle Creek is so pretty! What a lovely place to grow up! Though I must admit Portland as my favorite city in OR.

I grew up in an oil town in Texas. The whole feel of Winston (blue collar, outdoor industry) strangely reminds me of small towns there. OH yeah, except for the giant trees!

You've been to Winston? Maybe it feels like Texas because a LOT of southerners moved to Oregon post WWII looking for jobs in the lumber industry. I grew up with a lot of them.

:001_smile:

Lucinda

OK- We live off the grid south of Dillard (which is just south of Winston). Apparently my neighborhood is fairly well known- a bunch of California hippies settled some acreage in the hills in the early 70's, and we bought some of those acres in the late 90's. It's very beautiful, and the neighbors are a diverse mix folk. There still must be some great rumors about it, because when folks in town see my driver's license they ask if I live at the "nudist colony" :lol:.

I think Myrtle Creek is so pretty! What a lovely place to grow up! Though I must admit Portland as my favorite city in OR.

I went to Dillard Elementary during most of my early school years! I also remember the hippies out there in the boonies. Its a beatiful place anyway...but I too love Portland the most. :D

Blessings,

Lucinda

You've been to Winston? Maybe it feels like Texas because a LOT of southerners moved to Oregon post WWII looking for jobs in the lumber industry. I grew up with a lot of them.

:001_smile:

Lucinda

That makes a lot of sense! No wonder I feel so at home. Since I am almost a Winston resident, (PO box is in Dillard) I can keep you abreast of all the latest news! :)

I could talk about this all day, but I'll just post my random thoughts. I agree, Myrtle Creek and the surrounding area is beautiful. As much as I love the Willamette Valley, it doesn't compare to So. Douglas Cty. in that regard. I have several relatives in your neck of the woods. Some of my relatives live out your direction (can't remember the exact road). Their last name is Smith.

You're right about the diversity ;) You're either a Redneck or a Hippie, or in rare cases, a strange mix of the two. I love those "You Might Be A Redneck if" jokes. Know why? Because I *know* people like that. I *lived* it when I was growing up. So I am laughing with them and at *myself* when I hear them.

One last interesting tidbit: In the 1980s, my parents' bank had a special benefit for their members. For $1.00 you could check out a pass to Wildlife Safari and it got a whole carload in for that price. I've been there so many times. I literally cringe at what it costs now.

My parents were originally from the midwest, and we noticed that there were a lot of rednecks and lumberjacks around us. Sometimes it was downright scarey! I knew some women that chewed tobacco, and way too many people that had rifles in the back window of their pick up trucks! I knew a lot of decent, wonderful folks too, but when I was 18 I moved to the city and never looked back. (Eventually my parents moved to the city too.)

:auto:

BTW...I was in high school when the Animal Safari was built. We used to tease because the kids that smoked used to go to a certain place behind the school that eventually was back to back with the Safari. The thought was that they'd better be careful out there...now in the present I would like to take dd through the park, but it is so darn expensive!

I still have an uncle in Roseburg and go down 2-3 times per year to see him.

Blessings,

Lucinda

I mostly grew up in Roseburg and went to Roseburg High ('89). The first house I bought was in Green and we lived there for 6 years until we moved to Vancouver in 2000. Dh grew up in the area too. Both of my children were born in Roseburg. We still have a lot of ties to the area, but we are much happier in the city (Vancouver/Portland).:001_smile:

To anyone watching this thread who doesn't know the area Roseburg, Winston, Green, Myrtle Creek, and Dillard are all within 20 minute drives of eachother. :auto:

It is just downright COOOOOOLlllD! :rolleyes:

Its not sticking here yet, I hope it doesn't we just took the ice tires off last weekend!

Tap, Tap, Tap,

Are you in Vancouver? Is it snowing at your house yet? :)

I still have an uncle in Roseburg and go down 2-3 times per year to see him.

OK That settles it! A redneck-style reunion is in order. Next time any of you are this way, let me know and we'll chew some tobacco together. :tongue_smilie:

Seriously- though i am a city girl at heart I love it down here, and you are welcome to stop by anytime!

• 1 month later...

I lived in Corvallis in the mid 90's. I made it through Linn-Benton Community College and was going to go to OSU, but didn't quite make it on account of a little someone came along. (See signature line!)

We loved it there, being from California. Dh tried to find a job there but it was too hard as his industry is based in larger cities. So we packed up and moved back to the Bay Area, CA. We miss it so. When we go up to Portland this summer, we are going to go through Corvallis and reminisce. Those were the days! If I had the chance to move back, I am pretty sure that I would.