Menu

s/o of wedding dresses....

When the strapless, princess, ball gown, tulle skirt look came into fashion. When brides to be were spending time at the gym working out so their biceps and upper body were toned and looked great.

When the bride and groom had already been living together b4 the wedding and the wedding dress became a gorgeous, se*y dress b/c that was the role they had taken on as a couple and they were comfortable with that.

When brides were footing the bill for their own dresses.

I don't know - pick one. I think it is a combination of many things.

I like your question and my answers are not given in a snarky tone at all.

Wedding dresses do seem at some weddings to be much more sophisticated these days (older brides?)

I haven't been to any weddings lately, but my dd enjoys watching "Say Yes to the Dress" on TLC. It is a bit flabbergasting that they can have 1,000+ different wedding dress styles, for all shapes, sizes and budgets, but no sleeves anywhere in sight :001_huh:. Very strange.

Even for those who aren't concerned with modesty (while I find that hard to imagine on such a sacred occasion attended by elderly relatives and respected family friends), not every woman's shape lends itself to wearing strapless dresses. Oh well :tongue_smilie:.

I guess I was ahead of my time. I got married in 1992 and my dress was sleeveless (but not strapless). It was the same one (unaltered) my mother wore in 1957.

Maybe it's not so much the sleeveless issue as the strapless issue, kwim?

My former sister in law selected a sleeveless gown b/c the dress was $150. less without sleeves. The gown was beautiful, modest and sleeveless.....and $150. less than it would have been with sleeves.:)

Maybe it's not so much the sleeveless issue as the strapless issue, kwim?

My former sister in law selected a sleeveless gown b/c the dress was $150. less without sleeves. The gown was beautiful, modest and sleeveless.....and $150. less than it would have been with sleeves.:)

I think that is it. Most wedding gowns these days don't have much fabric on the shoulders at all.

(and I am not saying that EVERY strapless dress in the world is indecent. I'm saying that some of the ones I've seen recently in weddings are pretty trashy.)

With the economy in Michigan being worse than rotten, bridal stores are carrying probably less than half the stock they used to so there isn't much choice. Every dress we've seen in the past six months has been strapless, low cut, lightly embroidered bodice, picked hem with some tulle underneath to give it that princess look, and they all look like they were cut from the same cookie cutter. Blah...but the stores are not willing to take the risk of stocking something unique and then getting stuck with it. Even the florists are cutting back on what they offer because business is slow and the brides all want the cheaper flowers. Except for the color of the bridesmaids' gowns or the grooms' vests or cumburbunds, there just doesn't seem to be any variety.

I'd like to know what the fascination is with flower girls looking like mini-brides. I never had any desire to have the little girls in my wedding look like me! But, every single flower girl dress I see these days is a replica of the bride's gown.

DD was commenting on the "boring" look of weddings these days and lamenting that she really wanted something unique. My mom will make the dress so it will be one-of-a-kind...I have NEVER seen a dress that resembled mine nor have I seen one that is the equal to her sewing. My niece's Vera Wang was a real disappointment for sewing quality...the hem was letting loose as she walked down the aisle. Sheesh...you'd think that for $12,000.00 (yep, that's what she spent on the dress) one would get something that can at least last a day!

Faith

With the economy in Michigan being worse than rotten, bridal stores are carrying probably less than half the stock they used to so there isn't much choice. Every dress we've seen in the past six months has been strapless, low cut, lightly embroidered bodice, picked hem with some tulle underneath to give it that princess look, and they all look like they were cut from the same cookie cutter. Blah...but the stores are not willing to take the risk of stocking something unique and then getting stuck with it. Even the florists are cutting back on what they offer because business is slow and the brides all want the cheaper flowers. Except for the color of the bridesmaids' gowns or the grooms' vests or cumburbunds, there just doesn't seem to be any variety.

I'd like to know what the fascination is with flower girls looking like mini-brides. I never had any desire to have the little girls in my wedding look like me! But, every single flower girl dress I see these days is a replica of the bride's gown.

DD was commenting on the "boring" look of weddings these days and lamenting that she really wanted something unique. My mom will make the dress so it will be one-of-a-kind...I have NEVER seen a dress that resembled mine nor have I seen one that is the equal to her sewing. My niece's Vera Wang was a real disappointment for sewing quality...the hem was letting loose as she walked down the aisle. Sheesh...you'd think that for $12,000.00 (yep, that's what she spent on the dress) one would get something that can at least last a day!

Faith

:iagree:When dd30 was planning her wedding (and bless her, she did not want anything extravagant - she was going to have med school tuition that was $48,500. a year) she looked at a $12K Vera Wang dress and shrugged her shoulders and decided no. (And I have to say, it was gorgeous to look at). Anyway, $222.50 later, I scored her a trunk show wedding dress on ebay. I brought it to a gown restoration place and there I learned that it was an Eve of Milady dress and with about $1200. of work on it (part of which were alterations) it would be close to its probably original price tag of $10,000. We have the dress - preserved -- I could not bring myself to sell it as it was such a find. Even if it is never worn again, it was such a find. And it is gorgeous (if I must say so myself).

I would post a photo but I cannot find any.:001_huh:

I had the hardest time finding a dress that wasn't strapless or sleeveless (I didn't want to have bare shoulders in church). I had it custom-made, but even finding "inspiration" dresses that I liked in bridal magazines was impossible--I remember going through stacks of them at the bookstore. I am pretty petite, so I knew that I'd look like a snowball in a fairy princess ballgown.

We ended up using Renn costume paterns at my wedding. Those dresses were much kinder to full figures.

I agree that cost is a huge issue and I think the concept of pretty/beautiful is often equated (now) with sex appeal. All the same, except for the gypsy wedding photos, I don't see much along the lines of trashy. They do, to me, seem more like prom dresses.

We ended up using Renn costume paterns at my wedding. Those dresses were much kinder to full figures.

I agree that cost is a huge issue and I think the concept of pretty/beautiful is often equated (now) with sex appeal. All the same, except for the gypsy wedding photos, I don't see much along the lines of trashy. They do, to me, seem more like prom dresses.

possibly then, it might be something to do with the women wearing them...not that I am assuming that all the brides I've seen are trashy, but in the bridal magazines, the models are very slim, not exactly "buxom". When you put a full figured girl in a certain style of dress it looks different on her than on a less curvy gal.

All I know is that my dh was embarrassed at a few of these weddings.

:)

We had one son get married in March of this year, and the 2nd one will be October lst. I was not involved in the dress selection for the 1st wedding, but I am the mother of the groom and bride for the 2nd wedding. (Her mother will be at the wedding, but lives in another state and is having very little to do with the wedding planning except to show up.l)

Both brides chose sleeveless dresses, but when they put on something with shoulders in it, the plunging necklines were much worse than the sleeveless, strapless dresses they both wore. When my oldest daughter got married 12 years ago, there was no problem finding a dress with sleeves. 2nd daughter got married 7 years ago, she chose a dress with think straps, and I was not thrilled, but realized that most brides were choosing that style from then on. I did see plenty of dresses with sleeves when we were shopping, but they are not very popular choices these days.

A good seamstress can add shoulder thingy to dresses to make them more modest.

It isn't just wedding dresses either. I had a really hard time finding my daughter a 1st communion dress this year that had sleeves. We still ended up with a sleeveless one but bought her a shawl to go over it. I personally don't feel spaghetti straps etc are appropriate for church and certainly not for 1st communion. Add to this that my dd hates wearing anything that doesn't cover her shoulders and we have issues.

possibly then, it might be something to do with the women wearing them...not that I am assuming that all the brides I've seen are trashy, but in the bridal magazines, the models are very slim, not exactly "buxom". When you put a full figured girl in a certain style of dress it looks different on her than on a less curvy gal.

All I know is that my dh was embarrassed at a few of these weddings.

:)

You're right. On a clothes hanger the dresses might look stunning, but when you start filling the dress out it can end up..... a little..... Vegas :lol:

When I was married seven years ago, in a sleeveless dress with the straps at the tip of my shoulder, my photographer commented that it was nice to see a dress that didn't require the bride to constantly hike up the bodice all day :lol:. I think at all three of my cousins' weddings (all in the past two years) the dress was strapless, but modest (not showing cleavage, anyway).

It's hard to find just plain old CLOTHES! :tongue_smilie:

Well, actually, THIS is SO true. Yesterday afternoon, dd30 and I were walking around Target waiting for her prescriptions to be filled and there were quite a few 'back to school' shopping trips going on. After the 3rd 8 year old 'lady gaga' dress-alike walked by us, dd30 said to me in a very low tone of voice: 'I am so glad you never dressed me and S that way and that you will never dress E and M that way.'

Long live LLBean, Talbot's Kids, and Lands End.

So when did wedding dresses stop having sleeves?

Most of the weddings I've been to in the past five years, the bride is showing major ummmm....body parts. My dh has to practice the whole "look away" thing.

I think its because a strapless dress is easiest to alter ... no shoulders, armholes or sleeves to fit.

I haven't been to any weddings lately, but my dd enjoys watching "Say Yes to the Dress" on TLC. It is a bit flabbergasting that they can have 1,000+ different wedding dress styles, for all shapes, sizes and budgets, but no sleeves anywhere in sight :001_huh:. Very strange.

Even for those who aren't concerned with modesty (while I find that hard to imagine on such a sacred occasion attended by elderly relatives and respected family friends), not every woman's shape lends itself to wearing strapless dresses. Oh well :tongue_smilie:.

We're fans of the show too and I'm glad to see I"m not the only one who wondered about this. They seem to fit all shapes and sizes into sleeveless. I guess I was more old fashioned than I thought, not only did I have sleeves, but long sleeves at that. (I did get married in San Fancisco though.)

When I was married seven years ago, in a sleeveless dress with the straps at the tip of my shoulder, my photographer commented that it was nice to see a dress that didn't require the bride to constantly hike up the bodice all day :lol:.

LOL At my niece's wedding a few years back a group of us were dancing and another niece had to keep hiking up her strapless dress. My younger son, then about 6 or 7, was dancing with her and started copying her "dance moves", dress hiking and all! I thought my hubby was going to fall over he laughed so hard!

It isn't just wedding dresses either. I had a really hard time finding my daughter a 1st communion dress this year that had sleeves. We still ended up with a sleeveless one but bought her a shawl to go over it. I personally don't feel spaghetti straps etc are appropriate for church and certainly not for 1st communion. Add to this that my dd hates wearing anything that doesn't cover her shoulders and we have issues.

We had trouble finding a 1st Communion dress with sleeves 7 years ago! I finally had to settle for the tiniest little cap sleeves!

It's hard to find just plain old CLOTHES! :tongue_smilie:

:iagree:

I had sleeves, short ones, on my wedding dress but would have liked a backless or semi-backless dress. Yes, I know but my back is the one part of my body I like. I married a Catholic man but did not have a Catholic service (which I regret in some ways now) and it was outside in the middle of October beside a waterfall at an old Inn. The dress was perfect for the location, but I still enjoy wearing dresses with no back or semi-backless.

My sister had a GORGEOUS gown with LONG sleeves made entirely of lace. Those sleeves are now a christening gown and never made it to the down the aisle. She had them chopped off when they decided on a summer wedding instead of a fall or winter wedding. My mom payed less than 75% off of retail for the dress, so it wasn't like it was a $3K dress being hacked.

I don't think I've seen any wedding gowns with sleeves in any wedding albums I've seen from friends weddings. I think strapless can work if it fits well so the person wearing it isn't hiking it up every 5 seconds.

Personally, I'm going for an off the shoulder look. http://www.davidsbridal.com/Product_Off-the-shoulder-A-Line-with-Side-draped-Bodice-T9861

I think that sleeves can work for some women, but many women I know have spent lots of time working out and don't want to hide their newly-toned arms from the world.

I think its because a strapless dress is easiest to alter ... no shoulders, armholes or sleeves to fit.

I did bridal alterations back in the 80's at the height of shoulder pads, puffy shoulders, long sleeves..

I would much rather alter a dress with sleeves and shoulder than a strapless one. They are engineered to stay up, boning and all that. I find them really putsy and futsy to alter.

My wedding dress had cap sleeves. The place I bought it at would also add sleeves to pretty much any dress, for a fee of course.

I really don't know why they don't have sleeves. Perhaps they're just copying the formal dresses (prom etc.)...those don't have sleeves either.

My dress was a lot like that 10 years ago, but with the tulle skirt. I had wanted a modest neckline because I am large chested, but I looked like I was smuggling balloons in the dresses with higher necklines. Plus if they ft around mu chest the waist was huge as was everything else. I would have had to basically remake the dress.

Danielle