Menu

Billy Bookcase or EXPEDIT?

Which would you choose?  

1. 1. Which would you choose?

• EXPEDIT
    • Billy

We have that Expedit and I really like it. With the 'cubbies', each shelf is really strong, so there is no bowing even when completely stuffed with books.

The top two shelves of ours are filled with books, the bottom three rows have totes and toys.

We have the dark brown/black finish and that matches most of our other furniture but it definitely shows more dust than the lighter finish would. :tongue_smilie:

We have a one-shelf-wide Billy, and like it. It's solid hardwood and very sturdy. But if it's for kid/school stuff, I'd go with the Expedit. We have the big one you linked to and it's great! Some shelves have books, others baskets. The shelves are nice and deep, too, and if you want you can stand it with an end to a wall rather than a side, making it more versatile.

Where's the option for both?

We're big Ikea fans here, and have 6 Billys and 1 5x5 Expedit. I love them all. I have one Billy's shelves adjusted to hold binders in our school room. The Expedit holds games on the other side of the room. We also have a Stockholm bookcase, but it is only useful for holding "regular" sized books.

Why do you have to decide?:)

GardenMom

Edited by MomsintheGarden
Killed another kitten

Where's the option for both?

We're big Ikea fans here, and have 6 Billy's and 1 5x5 Expedit. I love them all. I have one Billy's shelves adjusted to hold binders in our school room. The Expedit holds games on the other side of the room. We also have a Stockholm bookcase, but it is only useful for holding "regular" sized books.

Why do you have to decide?:)

GardenMom

I picked Billy, but really - why not both?

What are you going to be putting in the book case? Books? What kind (kids' picture books, hardback adult works, etc)? Toys? Games? I think if you have a lot of bulky stuff, Expedit would be better. And you're making me want an Expedit.

I am going to be putting EVERYTHING in it:tongue_smilie: Books, binders, teacher manuals, dvds, cds, games, etc. Whatever I can get in it, its going in lol

I've got both.

The Billy is great for regular sized books, you can adjust the height and add an extension bit to the top for even more storage. :)

The Expedit is great for things other than standard paperback-sized books like files or bigger, deeper books. Or boxes of lego. :) Looks neat from front or back and the 4x2 size can be put on its side and still looks neat. Not adjustable, though.

Min

I've got several Expedits and I love them! They are perfect for holding banker boxes (in which I keep science supplies, art supplies, etc.). I have one in our school room that holds a bankers box for each of the kids. On the front of the box I clip their weekly schedule. Inside the box I put all the books and such they'll need for the week. I've got an Expedit for my sewing supplies as well. :)

I have both. The Billy are in our schoolroom. I prefer them b/c they are more flexible. I've added extra shelves--on one bookcase I added 5 glass shelves, close together for paper, then covered it up with door to hide the mess. :001_smile: I do have binders on the Billy shelves that stick out slightly. I don't think it's a big deal. I put all the binders in one spot, and it's in the corner so the overhanging binders aren't so noticeable to me.

My Expedit shelves look messier b/c I have some boxes and binders that don't fit the cubes perfectly.

ETA: I'm attaching some pictures, in case seeing some more real shelves will help you decide.

Edited by bonniebeth4

Expedit pros: deeper shelves. Very sturdy. Can secure entire thing against a wall (with no shelves that will pull out). Cubes are very convenient for organizing & many bins fit well.

Cons: not adjustable in any way (width, etc).

Billy pros: can fit wider items (board games) & taller (vases, etc) items etc b/c it is adjustable.

cons: shelves more prone to sagging. shallower shelves. Fewer baskets/bins fit the shallow shelves.

I have sets of each. . . I love the Expedit the most. . . If it fits the space & what you want to store in it, I'd go for that.

Last month we did a major overhaul of all my storage with IKEA. I have five tall wide Billys, three narrow tall Billys, a 5x5 Expedit, two 2x2 Expedit, a 2x4 Expedit with a desk, and a whole bunch of Besta. Right now all we have are the bookcases/cabinets, but later on we will be putting on doors.

The Billy's work great for books. Very wide books and binders won't fit without sticking out. I also have one that I bought extra shelves for that I put dvds in. You can get doors for these.

The Expedits have fixed shelves and are very sturdy. No doors, but you can buy the little drawer and door inserts. That could get pricey though, depending on how many you want. I had the 5x5 for a room divider, but when the children would put things on the shelves, things would fall out the back. I've moved it and now use it to store unused curriculum on.

I would also recommend you check out the Besta. The shelves are deep enough for binders and are adjustable. You can stack several units to get the height you need, and they have doors.

Out of the three, we like the Expedit the least. The desk Expedit and the smaller units are good, but the 5x5 just doesn't work for us. For us, it's just not as flexible as the others and dh doesn't want to spend the $500+ to buy the door inserts.

Blessings,

Melinda