Menu

Who has given up on BFSU?

HappyGrace

I had RSO for about a year, and finally started using it, and the ease of use compared to BFSU made me giddy with excitement! The labs have been fun, and I love all the included lab worksheets. I love the introduction to read aloud for each unit. Sooo much easier.

We will be supplementing with a few books per chapter. I made a list of the books we'll use.

I also found Nancy Larson science and I think we'll use that after we're done with RSO Life. It looks like it has *everything* prepared for you, including kits and books, and it might have more meat to the program. I guess I'll find out after I order it.

I gave up on using it as our only Science program. I'm still planning to use it and it will be the primary program for some topics (our first one is gravity) but I'm also getting RSO Life and RSO Earth/Space to provide some more direction to it. I also have a variety of Evan Moor books (Giant Science Resource Book and Science Experiments for Young Learners).

The hardest thing I found about BFSU was that so many topics didn't have well defined activities to do. There was a lot of "look for teaching opportunities in every day life". I'm REALLY bad at that and I would have a really hard time remembering all the "teaching opportunities" we were supposed to be looking for. (I'm lucky I remember to put shoes on the kids before we leave the house). I need a simple description, clear-cut activities and extra reading lists or things just won't get done.

I bought it and was so overwhelmed by it that I barely touched it.

:iagree: I had very high hopes for it, but in reality the sheer volume of organization I would have to do was overwhelming. We're switching to a combo of child-led, Bill-Nye-the-Science-Guy videos, and hands-on.

We switched to Elemental Science this year. I'm not quite sure I'd say I gave up on it, as we used it quite extensively last year. I definitely like having it as a reference for myself, to make sure that I can answer questions and such.

I knew from the beginning, though, that I wanted to do more of a WTM approach (i.e., one discipline at a time) for 1st through 3rd or 4th. I will be buying the second book (and probably the third) when they're available, but I suspect that they will be either resources for me or supplements rather than the spine for our science. If nothing changes (yes, I know how likely that is :tongue_smilie:) I'm planning to move from the ES sequence into Singapore's My Pals Are Here, which will allow us to pursue multiple disciplines at once.

Nancy Larson's stuff looks interesting, but, yes, for $225 for year 1, it should be easier to use than BFSU!

I haven't started using it yet, so I am disappointed that people have found it so hard to use. Sigh.

Me too. Sometimes it's not a good idea to read here!

But I love the idea of BFSU, so we're giving it a real go!

I bought it and sold it. My kids are either too old or too young for it right now. I can see myself revisiting it when my youngest dd is older. I highly doubt I will use it as is and follow THE PLAN. I will likely use it like I do my other experiment books. I will pull info and experiments from it that relate to what we are already studying.

I haven't started using it yet, so I am disappointed that people have found it so hard to use. Sigh.

FWIW, I have been using BFSU since January, and I am reading this thread feeling a bit :confused:. I feel like BFSU is pretty open and go. I read the lesson the night before or the morning of, and then I teach it. Most of what we need for labs I already have. If I don't have it, I don't do it, and I add in something else, usually from the list of suggested activities. When I have time, I get the books from the library, but they are just extras--not necessary for the lesson. Maybe I am completely missing something.

I'm surprised by the responses as well. I feel like BFSU has been a breath of fresh air. It seems very open and go. The BFSU yahoo group is wonderful. I have been especially impressed with all of Mr Nebel's input and help. We have just started using it, but I am very happy so far. In fact, I just ordered Bernard Nebel's Elementary Education book....I've been really inspired by his advice.

I'm surprised by the responses as well. I feel like BFSU has been a breath of fresh air. It seems very open and go. The BFSU yahoo group is wonderful. I have been especially impressed with all of Mr Nebel's input and help. We have just started using it, but I am very happy so far. In fact, I just ordered Bernard Nebel's Elementary Education book....I've been really inspired by his advice.

I have been very impressed by Dr Nebel's input on the yahoo group.

My problem with the program was using it with a 4th grader, who is pretty advanced in science. I had to supplement with library books, etc. for him, which made it not open-an-go. I didn't want to use separate programs for both kids. So, while I love the program in theory, it didn't work for us.

I bought it, sold it and just bought it again! When i first bought it we were just beginning our formal HS journey and i just found the thought of organising it and preparing ahead completely overwhelming. Now i am in a different place. I am really looking forward to using it as our spine next calendar year. I will be getting the RSO books and we will supplement where we need to. Some of the topics we have already covered through SL Sci K which we have done this year. Also i have a gifted DD who probably needs G4 or 5 science and whilst i would love to have waited for the next book from Dr Nebel i do think it is important to start at the beginning. I am really looking forward to it now!

This is the beginning of my second year of home educating, and we have been using BFSU for the past four weeks. I decided to use it because it was so different from anything else I've seen. Instead of just covering science "topics" or "content", it addresses fundamental scientific truths and properties. What amazes me is that Dr. Nebel does this in a way that kids can handle. As far as I understand classical education, the grammar stage is not the time for a lot of critical thinking. For this reason, I hesitated to use BFSU. So far, though, the lessons lead students to conclusions based on demonstrations/lab experiments or things that they have already experienced in every day life. My biggest problem is trying to "reign in" my kids after some of the suggested activities! I hope it will continue to work well for us because I am very impressed with the content and with the aims of this type of science education.

In fact, I just ordered Bernard Nebel's Elementary Education book....I've been really inspired by his advice.

Oh, you are going to love it! I just bought it and am completely enchanted with it--well, the first two chapters, anyway. I am really excited to implement some of the ideas.

We're still using it :) Granted it's only been a few weeks, but so far, so good. I just take it as I can, sorta like the Activity Guide for SOTW. If I don't get to everything, that's okay. And I don't think science, as a topic, lends itself to severe organization--and I think that's why many people (including myself) struggle with it. We WANT it to be clearcut and organized and understandable, but it's got a lot of fuzzy edges. That's the way it is, and I am trying to roll with it. :tongue_smilie:

FWIW, I am starting a new blog roll on Fridays called "Yes, we did Science!" Fridays where people who actually completed some science that week can post links to their blogs and share with others. Hopefully, it will motivate people!!! BFSU or not, in general I find science harder to get to than other topics....

. FWIW, I am starting a new blog roll on Fridays called "Yes, we did Science!" Fridays where people who actually completed some science that week can post links to their blogs and share with others.

:lol: That is hilarious! I am glad that I am not the only one that has trouble getting to science. But with a science teacher dh, perhaps I feel the pressure more!

I'm doing parts of it in conjunction with WinterPromise's Animals and Their Worlds for our science program and I really like it. It takes some extra planning work, but my son is really enjoying the activities. I will probably continue to use it as a supplement.

Diane W.

married for 22 years

homeschooling 3 kiddos for 16 years

What a great idea on the I Love Science Fridays! See, that would intimidate me if I was still using BFSU, where we never wanted to do science. But using a different science now that's so much easier and fun, I totally am looking forward to it!

I am glad I purchased Nebel's first book, and will gladly purchase the second, but I think I'll be the only one in this family that will read them. Oh, and one more thing that totally took the last of my excitement out of BFSU, he was avoiding the topic of evolution in his next book, when I was really thinking he'd include it...

I have been very impressed by Dr Nebel's input on the yahoo group.

My problem with the program was using it with a 4th grader, who is pretty advanced in science. I had to supplement with library books, etc. for him, which made it not open-an-go. I didn't want to use separate programs for both kids. So, while I love the program in theory, it didn't work for us.

Did you know that he just came out with the next level book(or it's coming out this month??). I believe it's geared for 3rd-5th grade.

• 1 month later...
FWIW, I have been using BFSU since January, and I am reading this thread feeling a bit :confused:. I feel like BFSU is pretty open and go. I read the lesson the night before or the morning of, and then I teach it. Most of what we need for labs I already have. If I don't have it, I don't do it, and I add in something else, usually from the list of suggested activities. When I have time, I get the books from the library, but they are just extras--not necessary for the lesson. Maybe I am completely missing something.

Me too! This is my third year with BFSU! What I did was, I really used it as going from K-2. I combine it with Nature Study a la Charlotte Mason, topics at a a time. This year we're doing 6 weeks each on Wildflowers, Electricity, Rocks and Minerals, and Insects. It really works for us. The one thing that I haven't been able to implement consistently has been nature walks. The fact that this Summer it was incredibly hot doesn't help either. Goal for this year: at least one weekly nature walk. This breezy October is helping :)

Now we're in Second Year, we're completing the last 12 weeks or so of BFSU. If we don't have all the supplies, no worries. We just watch the equivalent experiment on Happy Scientist or if he doesn't have it, some other source. Easy to find. As long as ds gets it. He likes it, too, and if we have many discussions. He narrates what he's learned and sometime will write in his notebook (I didn't know what to do with all those little books we made in K and 1st! They are lost somewhere, and although they were cute, they took a lot more time, as ds' writing skills were not up to par yet - I can see him using this in grades 3-5).

How would you store those little books?

I really like BFSU here, and I'm buying the next volume fo' sho! :tongue_smilie: :D

Edited by sagira

He narrates what he's learned and sometime will write in his notebook (I didn't know what to do with all those little books we made in K and 1st! They are lost somewhere, and although they were cute, they took a lot more time, as ds' writing skills were not up to par yet - I can see him using this in grades 3-5).

How would you store those little books?

I really like BFSU here, and I'm buying the next volume fo' sho! :tongue_smilie: :D

There was a thread somewhere not that long ago about what to do with those little books. Maybe it was on the Yahoo group? I don't remember what they said, because we aren't doing them (yet). But someone found a way of keeping them all together in a way that was more accessible, and the kids enjoyed going back through them from time to time.