Menu

My grandfather with be 94 years old this Sunday.. what should I bring him?

He and my grandmother (93) still live independently on their farm.. they are retired from farming, but they still live there without help.. Anyway, any ideas on what to bring my grandfather for his birthday? His mind is still there, his sight is so-so, and his hearing is so-so. He gets around okay, still drives short distances (in our small town). He is diabetic and I was thinking of bringing him a diabetic treat, but I have celiac disease so I can't make anything with gluten in my house. If anyone has any wonderful ideas that are safe for him to eat and me to prepare.. please share! My grandmother can't cook anymore so food would be perfect if I could just figure something out that is safe.

Any other ideas? They already have plenty of Snuggies and socks :lol:

I don't know if you're a scrapbooker or not, but my grandfather's favorite gift ever (he said) was the year I took a big box of his old photographs and put them all in a scrapbook for him. He actually cried when I gave it to him, and he wasn't a very emotionally expressive man.

I know you said it is your grandfather's birthday - but is he sentimental about any special flower? Maybe a nice bouquet of sunny daisies?

What about a digital photo frame, loaded with pictures?

Gift basket of cheese and crackers? Nice assortment of coffees?

Some homemade soups that can be frozen and reheated as needed?

How about a blessing jar? Write down good memories you have of him, quotes you think he'd like, Bible verses if he'd appreciate those. And ask other family members to contribute to it, too.

You could also put in things like a coupon to go to a park w/you or pictures your kids have drawn.

What a blessing to still have your grandparents at those ages!

I was going to suggest a letter telling him how he has impacted your life and what some of your favorite memories are.

If you want to take diabetic snacks, I would just go to the grocery store and stock up on premade. I did that once for my grandpa-a big basket filled with cookies, crackers, and assorted junk food (he loved junk food LOL) and he would always tell the family he wanted another one at his next gift receiving occassion LOL.

Subbing for ideas. Marc's grandmother just turned 92 and her party is tomorrow. We always give her Scotch, because she drinks a glass or two every night, but that is such a predictable gift at this point. And since it's a gift, we usually give her the expensive stuff, which she recently told us is a waste of money since she doesn't mind the cheap stuff that comes in the gallon jug! :lol: I need a new idea so I don't have to resort to buying cheap liquor!

Marc's grandmother just turned 92 and her party is tomorrow. We always give her Scotch, because she drinks a glass or two every night, but that is such a predictable gift at this point. And since it's a gift, we usually give her the expensive stuff, which she recently told us is a waste of money since she doesn't mind the cheap stuff that comes in the gallon jug! :lol: I need a new idea so I don't have to resort to buying cheap liquor!
Thanks for the giggle and memories this morning. My grandmother passed away six years ago and she loved a bit of Scotch in the evening, too. I miss her dearly.

Since you're there every Sunday, maybe make up some cute certificates which he can redeem for chores which need doing. Then spend one of those Sundays, or a different day, with the whole family doing some things that need doing there. You can also buy some pre-made diabetic treats so you don't need to have any of the ingredients in the house. :)

On edit: Here's some: http://www.amazon.com/Josephs-Sugar-Free-Cookies-Assortment/dp/B0008JF9FY/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&s=grocery&qid=1282400907&sr=8-8

Edited by Teachin'Mine

I know that when I hear a song from when I was about 20 years old, it takes me right back to that time. If I'm counting correctly, that would be 1936 for your g'pa. Here's a list of popular music from that year. How about a downloaded cd? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1936_in_music

Here's a link to the greatest films of 1936: http://www.filmsite.org/1936.html

Perhaps your g'pa saw some of these in a theater and would like to rewatch on DVD?

I recently attended an art showing of a restored copy of the 1948 movie, The Red Shoes. I expected the theater to be filled with hipsters, but no, it was filled with senior citizens remembering when they had watched the film the first time in their youth!

H

Any other ideas? They already have plenty of Snuggies and socks :lol:

Do they have DVD or VCR? My dad enjoyed the favorite movies of his younger days like It Happened One Night, Front Page, Some Like It Hot, etc. He knew the plot, caught the references (which he would miss in a modern movie), relived more lively times...

Could you cook something there, like a cheese souffle?

This would actually be a present for next year, but you could start working on it now: what I'm doing for DH's 80-yo uncle is videotaping him while tells his life story. I do a little every week (the stories are all out of order, he just talks about things as they occur to him), and eventually I will edit it all together in chronological order in iMovie, add in stills of different people/places/events, add some stories about him from other relatives, etc. and put it all on DVD. It will probably be a multi-DVD set, given how much he likes to talk and what a good memory he has! :D

The biggest impact of the present for the recipient is knowing that their lives will never be forgotten and their grandchildren, great-grandchildren, and even as-yet-unborn great-great-grandchildren will get to "know" them and hear their stories. I soooo wish we had done this with my FIL; he had such an amazing life and so many stories to tell, and my kids hardly knew him. :(

Jackie