Menu

A reason to own chickens

I LOVE our chickens! Everyone should own chickens.

"Jurisdiction over eggs has been scrambled :lol: between numerous government agencies for the last 20 years, resulting in enormous delays in addressing the hazard posed by salmonella," she said.

It's always MY favorite foods that this happens with. First the spinach, then the peanuts, now the eggs.

I've been saying for years that I want chickens. Do you realize how many eggs it takes to make breakfast for a family of 5+? I need a cow too!

It's always fun to watch the expressions on the realtor's faces when you ask if the property is permitted to have farm animals. I don't think they hear that question very often.

I am afraid of chickens.

I buy pasteurized eggs.

Eggs and salmonella: What you need to know

"Are pasteurized eggs free from salmonella?

Pasteurized eggs are safe, LeJeune said. "I highly recommend pasteurized eggs for people at risk for severe illness from salmonella or for people who are healthy and choose to use raw eggs in ice cream or hollandaise sauce," he said. Liquid egg products sold in cartons are also pasteurized and free from salmonella."

"How do eggs become infected with salmonella?

Salmonella enteritidis can infect the ovaries of healthy-looking hens and contaminate the eggs before the shells are formed. External fecal contamination of eggshells from animals and birds is rare." [it doesn't sound like owning your egg source is all that helpful in making sure the eggs aren't contaminated.]

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-eggs-qa-20100820,0,1204661.story

Edited by RoughCollie

Have you heard of Mike The Headless Chicken?

I saw this on PBS one night when I couldn't sleep. I finally fell asleep in the wee hours of the morning. When I awoke I was certain the whole "Mike" story was a dream. Nope.....

http://www.bing.com/videos/watch/video/mike-the-headless-chicken/dedd01bbccf4e5d479aadedd01bbccf4e5d479aa-166290654313?q=mike%20the%20headless%20chicken&FORM=VIRE1

Poor little chicken. I hate how he died.

In our home town we have a statue in honor Mike the Headless Chicken, along with a whole weekend of festival in honor of Mike. So, yes, I can attest that it's true, if tacky. Our family raises chickens for meat and eggs, but we're very careful to be humane in how we dispatch them.

I LOVE our chickens! Everyone should own chickens.

"Jurisdiction over eggs has been scrambled :lol: between numerous government agencies for the last 20 years, resulting in enormous delays in addressing the hazard posed by salmonella," she said.

I noticed that cute play on words. Maybe Ms DeWaal should have been a writer! :lol:

But seriously, do people really still get sick from store bought eggs? Why on earth eat them raw?

Nonetheless, it was big exciting news this week when one of our pullets started laying (at 4 mos!).

Cookie dough.

Oh yeah that... I completely forgot. I guess I haven't baked in a while. :blushing:

Truly, sugar is pretty antibacterial--salmonella from cookie dough would have to be pretty rare (unless you ate half the bowl or something).

Maybe the people getting sick like their eggs runny. (I have also eaten some undercooked eggs in restaurants. :ack2:)