Menu

Ladies over 40, lets talking hormones.

Happy, felt great, energenic for a few weeks. . Me the past few days:tongue_smilie::glare::001_huh::lol::willy_nilly::ohmy::svengo: You get the picture.... Last few days, hit a brick wall, no energy. No amount of caffiene helps. Can't snap out of it, at all. I feel a tick off. I am trying to stay in my routine, exercise, eat well etc. Is this what I have to look forward to for the next few years? Ideas, suggestions. Thanks so much

I wish I could be of help, but I think I'm in the same boat. For the last six months or so I've been having panic attacks and in fact just had pack up the ds and dh to leave a friend's house because I was hit with one. I hate it. The only thing that makes sense is hormones and I don't know what to do about it.

You described me also. No energy, no motivation. I eat very well. Grass fed beef, pastured chicken, whole grains, water, no pop, no white anything, exercise moderately and I feel like I have hit a brick wall. No energy for about a month now. I keep hoping its just this hot over 100 degree temperature we have been having day after day but I don't know. I feel miserable. I'm sorry you feel awful too.

Get this book-do what it says. It will change your life:

http://www.amazon.com/What-Your-Doctor-About-Premenopause/dp/0446673803/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1281905303&sr=8-1

I was going through a HORRIBLE time, researched, read the book, got tested like he says, got progesterone cream, started it two wks ago, and I am myself again. (Side bonus, my skin is as soft as a baby's!)

You can also do searches for previous posts about this on this board, which is how I got started in researching this. Best of luck! It can be a tough time but now there are things to help us!

After several years of feeling terrible (severe mood swings, exhausted constantly, itchy/crawly skin, panic attacks out of the blue, skin thinning out) I went to a doctor that specializes in female hormone issues. My progesterone level was something like .5, when it should have been over 25. (Or 50. I don't have the paperwork in front of me, whatever the number should have been - the doctor said I had the progesterone levels of a 70-year-old. :001_huh:) Anyway, I went on progesterone supplements and within five weeks felt like a new woman!

I also went on vitamin D supplement, per test results.

In hindsight, I wish I had gone to the doctor much, much sooner! (So does my DH. :lol:)

I'm not having tiredness, but my periods have definitely changed. I will spot for a few days, go really heavy for 2 days, then almost stop, then start again. Thankfully I don't have any pain with them.

This month I was a little later, did the whole thing up until the almost stopping thing, but this time I actually did stop. I'm wondering if it's lurking around the corner, due to come back at any time.

I do have some hot flashes from time to time as well. I might look into the book.

You are definitely showing signs. You will like the book. In the meantime (while you're waiting for the book/reading the book), get a head start on asking around locally to try to find a doc that specializes in bioidentical hormones. If you can find a compounding pharmacy near you, they may be able to put you in touch with a doctor that works with bioidenticals.

In hindsight, I wish I had gone to the doctor much, much sooner! (So does my DH. :lol:)

Yup. Simple blood test can check your hormone levels, along with thyroid. Helpful to know where you are on the spectrum. And in my case, ha! that funny bleeding? Not perimenopause, like I suspected! Instead, my uterus underwent some surgical scrutiny. Ahhhh, it is so fun to bo over 40:001_huh:

Natural progesterone helped me for 2 years. Wonderful. Then I felt to go off it, and whenever I try it again...it really mucks me around, so I dont take it and cant take it any more. I trust that.

I think it is a good time to remember that we are not meant to be emotional wrecks part of the month. We are out of touch with nature, with cycles, with a natural diet, with the earth under our feet, with sunlight, with ourselves. Our forties are a great time to get back in touch, to really take care of ourselves. I am not saying that herbs and vitamins etc cant be good..obviously they can...but I think if we use them as "drugs" instead of as helpers to get more healthy on all levels...we will at best mask deeper symptoms.

I try and see it as a good thing. When things come up at certain times of the month (anger, tears etc), I try to see them in perspective (dont always succeed though) and I write a journal to try and process them. I think since our wombs are where we are vessels for creation, its important to be in touch with our creativity as we get older and especially as we no longer are bearing children. Its time ot put more energy into our own self expression and passions, whatever that is for us. Whatever we have put off for the kids' sake, its time to start it, in some small way at least.

I think our hormones go out of whack because we live in an out of whack society, not because they are meant to. We have to find out own ways back to having healthy feminine energy/hormones.

• 4 weeks later...

I agree with what Peela says, as I pretty much always do:D. We are living in a very imbalanced world and need to take greater care of ourselves.

Here are the standard textbook-ish tips and info.

You are officially in menopause only after you haven't had a period for a full year. Perimenopause can begin 10 years before menopause, as your hormones begin to fluctuate.

Lots of the symptoms overlap. Some women find the symptoms worse in peri than they do after the "pause."

• Unusually heavy, irregular, or long-lasting periods

• Bleeding mid-cycle, when periods had been regular

• Getting your period again after not having had it for 6 months or more

• Difficulty concentrating and/or mood swings

• Unexplained insomnia, sweating, and/or joint or muscle aches at night

• Frequent urination

• Vaginal pain or dryness that does not improve with home treatment

Do a salivary hormone test at least once a year to see what needs to be supported and watch the numbers. Stress will impact the progesterone which may account for the fact that progesterone, unless you are already taking a topical creme, is so universally deficient.

There's a book by Ann Louise Gittleman that's said to be good - Before the Change. I haven't read it.

Just to be on the safe side, at least take an estradiol/progesterone salivary hormone test so your ratio can be assessed. 300:1 is considered desirable, in favor of progesterone. Most individuals are very progesterone deficient and are overweight, have a sluggish metabolism, are depressed, and have problems sleeping. The difference when a physiological dose of progesterone is given, according to your age and stage, can be life-changing.

HEALTHY EATING

Avoid spicy foods, especially in the evenings

Cut out refined sugars and processed foods in favor of whole grains

Increase your intake of fresh fruits and veggies, as well as good-quality fasts (such as olive oils)

Eat cold-water fish for fatty acids

Cut back on alcohol and caffeine

Crunch cruciferous veggies – broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower – they have compounds that help the liver flush out artificial estrogens that collect in the body from external sources like pesticides. Aim for 2 servings per day.

Leafy greens (including arugula and other salad greens, collards, spinach, and Swiss chard) are high in calcium, magnesium, and vitamin K, so important to bone health, as well as the phytochemicals, lutein and zeaxanthin, that protect both cardiovascular and eye health. If you’re perimenopausal or menopausal, eating your greens—rich in folic acid—can even fight hot flashes and the blues.

SUPPLEMENTS

Look into a liver-cleansing supplement, such as milk thistle or dandelion tea, to help rid your liver of stress-causing toxins.

Multivitamin that includes calcium for bone health and omega-3 fatty acids for your heart. Omega-3s also appear to alleviate some of the anxiety and mood swings caused by fluctuating hormone levels.

PHYTOESTROGENS are plant-based estrogens that curb hot flashes, weight gain, and other complaints.

Look for a multiple-herb formula with

• Chaste-tree berry (normalizes hormone secretion and helps balance estrogen and progesterone) – 40 mg daily

• Black cohosh

• Red clover

• American ginseng

• Milk thistle

Nothing has been found to be nearly as effective for menopause symptoms as Black Cohosh. Many Black Cohosh supplements are less potent than they appear. You need to get 540 mg daily. Studies have shown that in sufficient doses, this herb can help alleviate menopausal symptoms in as little as 4 weeks. Puritan’s Pride Black Cohosh 540 mg

One study found that women who took Black Cohosh were 47 percent less likely to have breast cancer.

Black cohosh can reduce hot flashes by 85%. 40 mg daily of Remifemin

Black cohosh treats hot flashes, night sweats, headaches, vaginal dryness, and anxiety

OVERALL RELIEF

Daily Balance Harmony

Enzymatic Therapy AM/PM Menopause Formula

Gaia Herbs Phyto-Estrogen

NOW Foods Menopause Support

Solgar Herbal Female Complex

VAGINAL DRYNESS

Culturelle Probiotic

New Chapter SC Omega 7

Home Health Vitamin E Oil

STRESS AND ANXIETY

Garden of Life Oceans 3 Healthy Hormones – also good for overall relief

Source Naturals L-Theanine

DEPRESSION

Rainbow Light Complete Menopausal Support

Barleans Omega Swirl Fish Oil

Nordic Naturals Omega 3D

HEAVY BLEEDING

The goal is to reduce estrogen levels and increase progesterone levels. Flaxseed and bioflavonoids help modulate or regulate estrogen production, and essential fatty acids, beta-carotene, and lutein help promote healthy ovulation and progesterone production in the body.

Bioflavonoids (buckwheat, citrus fruit peels and pulp) when combined with vitamin C, moderate estrogen levels and strengthen blood vessels to reduce heavy menstrual bleeding

1500-3000 mg bioflavonoids and 1000-3000 mg Vitamin C daily

HERBS – These herbs, alone or in combination – can alleviate or at least mitigate – your menopausal challenges.

WILD HOPS reduces hot flashes and night sweats, anxiety, and helps muscles relax. Wild hops can help you sleep

30-120 mg at bedtime

Has to be dried to have any medicinal effect

Often used in combination w/valerian and lemon balm.

ASHWAGANDA. Called “mood food”, this herb calms nerves and lifts spirits

SEA BUCKTHORN is also called Omega-7. It combats vaginal dryness and regenerates thinning mucus membranes

GINKGO increases circulation and eases depression and brain fog

LICORICE ROOT is mildly estrogenic, stimulates the adrenals, and may ease depression. Don’t use if you have high blood pressure.

Black Licorice Tea has adrenal-rejuvenating properties – Traditional Medicinals Organic Licorice Root Tea – only have 2 well-brewed cups every other day since licorice can cause a fatigue-inducing potassium imbalance. After 6 weeks, take a 5-day break before repeating the regimen. 1-3 cycles of this helps most women. Do not consume if you’re pregnant or have high blood pressure.

RASPBERRY LEAF eases cramping and tones the uterus

MOTHERWORT is a lovely herb to calm anxiety. It also helps promote restful sleep.

WILD YAM ROOT - Add ¼ cup wild yam root (purchase it cut and sifted) to one pint of cool water in a saucepan. Bring to a simmer, cover, and cook 15 minutes. Remove from heat and steep an additional 15 minutes. Strain, cool, and pour into an ice cube tray. Freeze. Then place one ice cube in a mug, pour a cup of boiling water over it, and drink the diluted mixture while it’s still warm. Take 1 cube 3 times a day as needed.

Wild yam root, well known as a hormone regulator is most often used to treat symptoms of menopause. The root is nutritious and anti-inflammatory. Don’t use this remedy if you’re pregnant or taking birth control pills.

SAFFRON promotes calmness and reduces irritability and hot flashes

1 pinch stirred into hot, cooked food daily

EVENING PRIMROSE

Relieves peri-menopausal symptoms

Helps with mood swings, cramping, tiredness during periods

Take up to 500 mg EPO 2-3 times daily

INCREASE ZINC TO INCREASE PROGESTERONE PRODUCTION and curb the copper from water pipes, tea, coffee, cocoa, chocolate, and soy. Excessive copper equates to estrogen dominance while low progesterone usually correlates with not enough zinc. Copper and zinc need to be in a ratio where zinc is 8 parts to copper's 1. Bring on those zinc supplements (Zinc Plus sold through Uni Key) as well as organic beef, eggs, and natural pumpkin seeds.

VITAMIN D plays a key role in the synthesis and metabolism of estrogen and progesterone.

If you're under 50, take at least 2,000 IU per day.

If you're 50 or over, take at least 5,000 IU per day of vitamin D3.

Always take your vitamin D with a fat-containing meal to ensure absorption.

Your need for vitamin D3 is affected by age, skin color, and the severity of any deficiency

MAGNESIUM helps the body break down excess estrogen and ease stress. Load up on almonds, spinach, black beans, and dark chocolate. Or get 600 mg from a supplement. Let me know if you need me to tell you the type of magnesium. Magnesium is a key mineral that most of us are lacking in.

REGULAR EXERCISE can improve your mood, lower stress levels, and help you sleep.

Increasing your level of activity can reduce hot flashes.

Many yoga poses and the regular practice of yoga help relieve menopausal symptoms

Practice deep breathing. Inhale deeply through nose, allowing your belly to rise. Exhale slowly and forcefully through the mouth, letting your belly fall. Repeat for 5 minutes 3 times daily, or whenever a hot flash strikes.

Once the hot flash passes, ensure the body relaxes fully by inhaling one last time, holding for 3 seconds, and releasing forcefully.

POSITIVE ATTITUDE is, of course, key

OTHER TIPS

Sleep on right side. Sleeping on right side prompts relaxation and decreases blood pressure – which can help calm you during hormone-related symptoms such as hot flashes.

Soak your feet in cold water to prevent hot flashes during night

No tiredness here but my period is so different from it used to be. I am still regular but I used to be on a 28 day cycle and now it is every 21 days. I have cramps and mood swings like I never had before (my kids know to stay away from the momster). Now it starts off light, gets heavy for 2 days, light, disappears, comes back for another day. I am ready for menopause.

Here it is:

Magnesium is a key mineral that many are deficient in.

Anything that is tight, irritable, crampy, and stiff -- whether it is a body part or an even a mood -- is a sign of magnesium deficiency. The list of deficiencies and benefits are very long.

Take equal amounts of calcium and magnesium. For most people on a healthy diet, 500 mg of each supplement should be enough.

If you have symptoms of magnesium deficiency – if you’re feeling edgy, have muscle cramps, suffer insomnia, crave chocolate, or notice increased urination, adjust your calcium-magnesium ratio, so that you’re taking at least as much magnesium or—ideally—twice as much magnesium as calcium.

400-1200 mg daily of Magnesium is helpful but use according to bowel tolerance. Your body knows how much magnesium you can tolerate from bowel tolerance – take as much magnesium as your bowels can tolerate

Add 100 mg of magnesium to your nutritional supplements, and increase it by 100 mg every few days until your stools are soft, but not uncomfortably loose.

Take in divided doses and with meals to ensure optimal absorption – preferably more at night – and preferably not with calcium

Calcium, magnesium, and many other minerals are best absorbed when they are bound to an acidic carrier such as citrate, aspartate, picolinate, or amino acid chelate. Minerals need an acidic base to break down and get used.

The most absorbable forms are magnesium citrate, glycinate taurate, or aspartate, although magnesium bound to Kreb cycle chelates (malate, succinate, fumarate) are also good.

Avoid magnesium carbonate, oxide, sulfate, and gluconate. They are poorly absorbed (and the cheapest and most common forms found in supplements).

Side effects from too much magnesium include diarrhea, which can be avoided if you switch to magnesium glycinate.

Most minerals are best taken as a team with other minerals in a multi-mineral formula.

People with kidney disease or severe heart disease should take magnesium only under a doctor's supervision.

You should have your iron levels checked. I think Dr's tend to go right to the hormones after 40. But because our bodies are changing so much, and our periods have changed, being iron deficient is very common.

I had mine checked, and I only had a ferritin level of 8.(Iron storage). Normal should be at LEAST 25-150 during childbearing years.

My hemoglobin was low as well.

Iron deficiency anemia can cause depression, hair loss, fatigue, memory loss, muscle aches, shortness or breath.

You have to get a full panel done, inclusing getting intrinsic factors checked and B12's.

After two IV iron infusions and changing my diet, I have noticed a difference.

Oh, and Negrin thanks so much for posting all of that information!!

I had mine checked, and I only had a ferritin level of 8.(Iron storage). Normal should be at LEAST 25-150 during childbearing years.

Iron deficiency anemia can cause depression, hair loss, fatigue, memory loss, muscle aches, shortness or breath.

You have to get a full panel done, inclusing getting intrinsic factors checked and B12's.

Yes, iron is important. I avoid iron supplements. Peela mentioned Spirulina. I'm going to look into a good brand soon - organic or something. I also prefer to try to get iron from foods and to eat iron-rich foods with vitamin C, which, apparently, increases absorption.

Iron is a double-edged mineral for women. Menstruating women lose iron-rich blood every month, plus pregnancy, nursing, and strenuous physical exercise dramatically increase the need for this mineral. But later in life, excess iron, which accumulates in the body after menopause, may increase women’s risk for cancer and heart disease.

If you’re over 50 or have experienced early or surgically induced menopause, see your doctor for a hematocrit, hemoglobin, and/or ferritin test to determine if you need iron. The ferritin test, which assesses stored iron, is most important here.

If your levels approach anywhere from 150 to 200 ng/mL on the ferritin test, do avoid extra iron in supplements, iron-enriched grains, and cut down on red meat. You might want to consider an iron-free multivitamin

Studies indicate that iron can help improve short-term memory loss and concentration. If you aren't using iron cookware regularly, you may wish to take 10 to 15 milligrams of elemental iron a day.

Jarrow Formulas IronSorb Elemental Iron From Protein Succinylate -- 18 mg - 60 Vegetarian Capsules - is said to be good.

Iron oxidizes. If you take too much iron, it can lead to cancer. This is why there are few multivitamin formulas for postmenopausal women that contain iron.

If you have had cancer, or if there is a high incidence of cancer in your family, you may want to take a formula without added iron unless a blood test determines that you are iron-deficient, in which case, natural sources may be far superior.

Iron supplements should be avoided if you have arthritis.

Too much iron can increase the production of free radicals in your brain cells and the tiny blood vessels in your brain, thereby increasing the risk of stroke. If your iron levels are too high, your brain cells can release a neurotransmitter called glutamate that can trigger chemical reactions causing brain-cell death.

Stored iron normally increases as we age, but in a few people, it is very high. The next time that you have a blood test, ask that your ferritin level be tested. It’s a simple and inexpensive aspect of stroke protection.

You should have your iron levels checked. I think Dr's tend to go right to the hormones after 40. But because our bodies are changing so much, and our periods have changed, being iron deficient is very common.

Oh, and Negrin thanks so much for posting all of that information!!

Well that might explain some of this! I tend to run anemic at the end of my pregnancies and I rarely take vitamins:blush:so perhaps nursing a toddler has drained me? I have noticed a bit more hair loss and I feel like my mind is going. I have trouble concentrating on stuff and I feel like I am unable to "learn". Does that make sense?

First off, I'd stop the coffee. It really doesn't help in the long run. Giving up coffee was one of the best things I did. Granted the first couple days are tough, but I felt better after that. Cut out the junk processed sugar. It also does not help in the long run.

Be a wise consumer about hormones. Everything I read said I should be progesterone deficient. But, according to my labs, I had too much progesterone and it was the estrogen that was way (way) too low. Everything must be in balance, including the thyroid.

Get a good checkup. Talk options with your doc. Get into a solid routine of exercising, stretching, eating well, etc. And understand your body is changing tremendously.

I agree with what Peela says, as I pretty much always do:D. We are living in a very imbalanced world and need to take greater care of ourselves.

Here are the standard textbook-ish tips and info.

You are officially in menopause only after you haven't had a period for a full year. Perimenopause can begin 10 years before menopause, as your hormones begin to fluctuate.

Lots of the symptoms overlap. Some women find the symptoms worse in peri than they do after the "pause."

• Unusually heavy, irregular, or long-lasting periods

• Bleeding mid-cycle, when periods had been regular

• Getting your period again after not having had it for 6 months or more

• Difficulty concentrating and/or mood swings

• Unexplained insomnia, sweating, and/or joint or muscle aches at night

• Frequent urination

• Vaginal pain or dryness that does not improve with home treatment

Do a salivary hormone test at least once a year to see what needs to be supported and watch the numbers. Stress will impact the progesterone which may account for the fact that progesterone, unless you are already taking a topical creme, is so universally deficient.

There's a book by Ann Louise Gittleman that's said to be good - Before the Change. I haven't read it.

I am so glad you posted this. I have been wondering for a a few years now about this. I just turned 31 and I am already having the lack of a period for up to 9 months without being pregnant, then it will come back for a few months or sometimes only one. Then gone again.

I have also had uncontrolled weight gain during all this, lack of energy etc. I have had my thyroid checked and checked again,but nothing.

Now I am off to go research this some more.

Thank you.

For the last six months or so I've been having panic attacks and in fact just had pack up the ds and dh to leave a friend's house because I was hit with one. I hate it.

If you're drinking coffee or caffeine, you may want to try giving it up. I was able to drink coffee for years, and last February I started having panic attacks and feeling like I was going to jump out of my skin. It would happen anytime even if I hadn't drank coffee since the early morning. I gave up the coffee and it went away. It does take a while to get the caffeine completely out of your system, but I noticed improvment each day.

I can't even have trace amounts of caffeine from even decaff tea. I became that extremely sensitive to it. Decaf tea and coffee will still have a small amount.

I switched to Teechino to replace my coffee in the mornings and love it now.

BTW, I'm 42.

Yes, iron is important. I avoid iron supplements. Peela mentioned Spirulina. I'm going to look into a good brand soon - organic or something. I also prefer to try to get iron from foods and to eat iron-rich foods with vitamin C, which, apparently, increases absorption.

Negrin/Peela

Where do I find Spirulina?

I am refusing my next Iron IV infusion if I need one, and do not want to take any supplements(The Iron IV made me very sick, and the second one bottomed out my BP causing me to pass out).

I take two TBS of Blackstrap Molasses a day, plus a Vitamin C pill. I also eat raisins.

I am going in for bloodwork on Wed, with a f/u with the Hematologist next Monday to check my levels.

Thanks for mentioning this!!:lol:

Well that might explain some of this! I tend to run anemic at the end of my pregnancies and I rarely take vitamins:blush:so perhaps nursing a toddler has drained me? I have noticed a bit more hair loss and I feel like my mind is going. I have trouble concentrating on stuff and I feel like I am unable to "learn". Does that make sense?

Yep. Makes perfect sense. I would def. have your levels checked. It is a simple blood test. :)

I have also had uncontrolled weight gain during all this, lack of energy etc. I have had my thyroid checked and checked again,but nothing.

You, and so many of us, may benefit greatly from Iodoral. See my post on this thread. I'm now taking 3 a day and am feeling much better than before. My thyroid tested normal also. This is from that thread: I think it was Dr. Nan Fuchs who wrote: “I've had women come into my office who look like the poster child for underactive thyroid. They're overweight, they're losing their hair and eyebrows, their skin is dry, and they tell me they feel cold all the time. Yet when their doctor gave them a thyroid test, it came back normal!

When I put these women on iodine supplementation, their conditions improve dramatically. Their skin improves, they stop losing their hair, and they finally lose that excess weight — and keep it off.”

If you're hesitant, you may wish to read all the reviews on amazon. I have seen Iodoral recommended by alternative/integrative physicians as well as regular endocrinologists - that is by experts on both ends of the spectrum.

IODORAL.jpg

I switched to Teechino to replace my coffee in the mornings and love it now.

Does it give you an equivalent buzz? Thanks for posting this.

Where do I find Spirulina?

I take two TBS of Blackstrap Molasses a day, plus a Vitamin C pill. I also eat raisins.

Vitacost has some. I'm sure amazon does also. I like vitacost because oftentimes they have more reviews. I would get organic. I'm not sure if the capsules are as effective as the powder. I think Peela mentioned that it tastes foul. If that's the case, hopefully the capsules are equally effective. If not, I'm wiling to eat pretty much anything if I know it's good for me. ;)

Organic, grass-fed beef liver should be great also. I bought some yesterday. We don't eat it often enough. It's not organic here, but at least it's local - and not imported.

Good luck on your bloodwork on Wednesday. :grouphug:

Does it give you an equivalent buzz? Thanks for posting this.

Teechino doesn't give you any buzz because it's completely caffeince free. That is an adjustment coming off the quick buzz from caffeine. It was easy for me though because of the terrible side effects caffeine was starting to have on me. Nothing was worth that feeling! I missed waking up to that hot creamy drink waiting for me in the coffe pot and this at least helps with that.

I too have been ying yanging between feeling fine and extreme fatigue. I just turned 43. I'm also chronically anemic and have been taking iron supplements. If I skip iron tabs for 2days, I notice the difference. The Drs have been looking for autoimmune disease but perhaps I need a hormone workup. In all of my pregnancies, my progesterone has always been very low. Thanks for the info ladies!

I'm re-reading this thread, which is not necessarily a good thing, since I do tend to write overly long and overwhelming posts. I'm going to post some stuff on fatigue.

For the last six months or so I've been having panic attacks.

If you need tips on panic attacks, let me know. :grouphug:

EAT MORE

Eat real food, as close to nature as possible. A great book is “Food Rules” by Michael Pollan.

food-rules-an-eaters-manual.jpg

Think close to nature, think Mediterranean diet.

Studies show that breakfast-eaters enjoy more energy and stay in a better mood throughout the day than their breakfast-skipping counterparts. But we're not talking just any breakfast. Muffins, granola and croissants are energy zappers. They're high in sugar, sodium and less-healthy fats, providing carbs but rarely protein. So you get super high in the morning, and two hours later you're picking yourself up off the floor. Instead, aim for an energy-balancing mix of high-quality carbs, lean protein and healthy fats -- oatmeal with a serving of almonds, an egg white omelet with a slice of avocado and a side of berries, or even last night's leftovers.

Stay hydrated - I drink water first thing in the morning, plus after each bathroom trip. I stop drinking an hour before leaving the house to go somewhere. And I stop drinking at around 6 or 7 PM at night. Ideally, your urine should be clear.

Dark chocolate contains the stimulant theobromine, which boosts energy without the jitters that can come from caffeine. Choose chocolate with at least 70 percent cacao and eat it with a little protein -- a dab of organic nut butter atop about one ounce (three squares) of chocolate.

Where dehydration goes, fatigue follows. But staying hydrated involves more than drinking lots of water. You also need potassium -- the mineral that helps regulate fluid balance in the body. Even mild dehydration can slow metabolism and sap your energy. To stay hydrated, besides drinking water and eating water-based fruits and vegetables throughout the day, aim for at least one serving of a potassium-rich food or drink -- such as avocado, coconut water, or a banana -- each day.

EAT LESS

Limit processed sugars and processed foods

Try going gluten-free for at least 3 weeks. See if you notice improvement. Many do.

SUPPLEMENTS

I try to take Carlson's Fish Oil daily. I don't know if this has any direct effect on energy, but I have read that it helps. I know that it's amongst the very best supplements that one can take for overall health. A good fish oil, such as Carslon’s is one of the best supplements you can take.

Green foods boost the body’s energy production. Many feel better by starting the day with a green drink. Green Magma is a great one. I get mine from vitacost.com

If you're under 50, take at least 2,000 IU Vitamin D3 per day.

If you're 50 or over, take at least 5,000 IU per day of vitamin D3.

Always take your vitamin D with a fat-containing meal to ensure absorption.

Your need for vitamin D3 is affected by age, skin color, and the severity of any deficiency

B Complex

Have not tried the following yet:

Eleuthero is a relative of ginseng, that’s proven to keep you going. This herb gives people mental stamina in situations that would normally burn them right out.

800 mg- 2 or 3 grams daily of dried eleuthero to aid concentration

Rhodiola rosea is an excellent addition to any stress-reduction program – along with exercise, daily meditation, prayer, more rest, a healthy diet, and specific supplements

• Increases energy

• Alleviates depression

• Helps with weight loss

• Relieves mental and physical fatigue

• Improves function of the thyroid, thymus, and adrenal glands

• Helps chemotherapy patients deal with depletion and exhaustion

• Stimulates brain chemical production – norepinephrine, dopamine, and serotonin – which all help you think and feel better

• Improves sleep

• Improves mental alertness

• Improves short-term memory

• Enhances weight loss

Reduces heart palpitations

A group of male doctors were given 170 mg of R. Rosea extract just one a day for 2 weeks. They had a great reduction in fatigue compared with doctors who took a placebo

Chemotherapy often leads to depletion and exhaustion.

150 mg of R. rosea extract twice a day can help relieve fatigue and normalize red and white blood cells

The amount of Rhodiola you need to take is not critical.

High or low amounts of this her both work.

Not all Rhodiola supplements are equally effective.

Any Rhodiola you buy should be standardized extract and say Rhodiola roesa on the label.

Nature’s Way

Planetary Formulas

HerbPharm

American ginseng (Panax quinquefolius)/Panax Ginseng:

Fewer tension-related aches and pains

Feeling more happiness

Better blood sugar control

Deeper sleep

Boost in brainpower

Heightens energy

Nourishes the entire Central Nervous System, helping it cope with changes in cortisol, estrogen, progesterone and other troublemaking hormones.

100-600 mg daily

Cancer patients who took 1000 mg daily for 8 weeks reported energy levels that were twice as high as those on a placebo.

Or ask your herbalist for a formula that combines all three of the above.

OTHER TIPS

Healthy lifestyle changes:

exercise regularly – an outdoor walk helps immensely. Being outdoors is energizing. Do what you like, what you enjoy. For overall energy, the best are anything outdoors, rebounding, and yoga.

sleep well - melatonin and other supplements help

manage your stress

• Having a thankful heart and positive attitude

• Avoiding negative thinking and complaining

Loss of energy is one of the many symptoms of a congested lymphatic system. Things that help to clear up the lymphatic system:

• Daily Rebounding

• Deep Breathing every day

• Dry Body Brushing every day - either before showering OR before exercise, whichever comes first

• Massage and/or Reflexology

Many yoga poses and the regular practice of yoga help relieve symptoms of fatigue. There are specific yoga poses that help deal with fatigue.

Don’t exercise within 2 hours of when you plan to sleep.

Acupuncture is a great way to relieve stress and improve function. Most people say they feel calm yet energized after acupuncture.

Slap on a smile. Apply some bright lipstick. Wear a crisp, clean outfit instead of sloggy sweats. If you fake energy until you feel it, soon enough your body will catch on. The face you show to the outside world sends a message to the brain. Research suggests that simply smiling, for instance, releases endorphins and boosts serotonin, which actually lead you to feel the emotion you're projecting.

Clutter is a great big drag on your energy -- and not just because of all the stuff taking up space. So much of what ends up as clutter are tasks that we haven't finished or obligations we haven't been able to meet.

GOOD BOOKS TO LOOK INTO

Revive: Stop Feeling Spent and Start Living Again by Dr. Frank Lipman - have not read this, but have heard very good things about it

Food Rules by Michael Pollan

The Anti-Cancer Book is an excellent overall health book for everyone – not just for those who are concerned about cancer

456 Rules by Dr. Nan Fuchs

The Diet Cure by Julia Ross

TO GIVE INSTANT ENERGY

Brush your teeth when you feel tired. The minty-fresh feeling may help wake you up.

Drink a glass of water. Dehydration is often related to fatigue.

Jumping Jacks

Walk around the block

Lie on bed with your head hanging off if you KWIM. Get all the blood circulating to your head.

Rinse for as long as you can tolerate in the coldest water that you can tolerate. Feels really good when the cold is on your back and spine. I would often jump in for a quick shower when I was tired during my student years. You can also alternate between hot/warm and ice cold.

Dunk your wrists in a bowl of water with ice cubes OR run them under a very cold faucet.

Peppermint oil-infused air reduces fatigue. Inhaling peppermint causes capillaries to constrict and then dilate, sending a rush of blood through the body, and, as a result, a rush of energizing oxygen.

Listening to whatever music you love

1 spoon of honey – honey will give you energy quickly and keep it there