Menu

For all of us who are holding all of our paper based books with all our might

Even my 75 yr old aunt got a Kindle! It does worry me, from a freedom perspective-Farenheit 451 and all that. And from a financial perspective; like I told my aunt, why would I get a Kindle and have to PAY for books when I can read all I like for free from my excellent library system? I like the option to be frugal and not be forced to pay for my books. :) Not to mention just the sentimental feel of a book in my hand.

I can't argue with the library/not paying for books aspect (though obviously they are not totally free, that is paid for by taxpayers). But from a freedom aspect, I think the internet covers that completely -- anyone who feels the desire to become an author can type up a document and publish it on the internet for much less expense than publishing a book. They don't have to go through a publishing house or through Amazon. The author can charge whatever he or she considers appropriate, from $0 to $1,000 or more. And if there is an audience for this book, at this price, the audience with e-readers can read them, instantly! Isn't that nifty?!?

I disagree. I think that there will always be a place for a beautiful picture book at bedtime and a paperback in a bubble bath.

Also, I don't think it will be long before studies show that 1. all of that screen time is bad for our eyes and 2. words read on a screen are processed in a different way in our brain/ bad for our IQ/ leads to depression. I think at least the first already exists and maybe parts of the second.

I think that e readers will have a place but I don't think real books will be gone forever anytime soon.

I really, really want to think you are right. But technology generates so much money and people are all over anything that "makes my life a little easier", that I honestly think books will be obsolete and at best antique well before our kids' lives are over.

Makes me appreciate my parents' beef with the jump from records to 8 tracks to cassettes to cds to mp3s. Or from corded rotary phones to mobile phones to cell phones that take pictures. Or heck, from the radio to plasma tvs.

Admit it, who else wanted to start diagramming the sentence from the Hobbit? In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit. Or have I been listening to SWB too much?:lol::lol:

I'm a book hoarder. I believe there will be less books in the future. I don't think the beach novel or kids picture books will become outdated. IMO, it's the non-fiction, non classical fiction that will go away.

My friend's high school student doesn't have textbooks, everything is on the school supplied laptop. Great for the backpack, but I have mixed feeling on it.

I like browsing with a book, I read the encyclopedia as a child. If it all goes digital there's a lot that will be missed without random flipping. The internet is great for research, but it's too easy to get distracted, too easy to find what you want, and then check facebook. I think a lot of associated learning will be lost.

I have other feelings on it, but I can't quite articulate them right now. I plan to have a large personal library, so if books do go away, you can always come to my house and hang out. I'll keep the comfy chairs out and the coffee pot on.

I feel like I don't read as quickly or thoroughly from a screen. I don't have an ipad or kindle, though, just talking about ebooks on a laptop.

Are the readers easier on the eyes?

Yes, they are. When I'm reading a novel on my Kindle, I totally forget that it's not a paperback.

For things like reference material, books are much easier to navigate, though.

Edited by bonniebeth4
added info

I really, really want to think you are right. But technology generates so much money and people are all over anything that "makes my life a little easier", that I honestly think books will be obsolete and at best antique well before our kids' lives are over.

I have thought about this since the arrival of the Kindle, and I've had very engaged discussions with friends who own Kindles, especially the ones who consider themselves die-hard readers. I know it's just my opinion, but to me, a die-hard reader treasures books. It's beyond reading to these people (I consider myself one). The actual book has a life of its own, from the feel of the cover, to its smell, to the typset on the pages. Reading is so important to me. The process of choosing a book to read brings me pleasure. The smell of books brings me joy. It may sound silly to some, but the thought of losing something that is such a part of our culture truly saddens me. I hope and pray that my children's children will have the joy of surrounding themselves with real, solid books. Unfortunately, the practical side of me realizes that such a large portion of society is more pleased by the instant gratification technology can bring, so for this, I am fearful for the fate of books.

I have thought about this since the arrival of the Kindle, and I've had very engaged discussions with friends who own Kindles, especially the ones who consider themselves die-hard readers. I know it's just my opinion, but to me, a die-hard reader treasures books. It's beyond reading to these people (I consider myself one). The actual book has a life of its own, from the feel of the cover, to its smell, to the typset on the pages. Reading is so important to me. The process of choosing a book to read brings me pleasure. The smell of books brings me joy. It may sound silly to some, but the thought of losing something that is such a part of our culture truly saddens me. I hope and pray that my children's children will have the joy of surrounding themselves with real, solid books. Unfortunately, the practical side of me realizes that such a large portion of society is more pleased by the instant gratification technology can bring, so for this, I am fearful for the fate of books.

:iagree: A physical book can be sensed with sight, touch, smell, and even hearing the pages turn. An e-reader can't recreate that experience for me. I have a hard time reading from a screen too.

Same here. I felt this the moment I first heard of a 'kindle'. Scary.

Eleg Lion, I will do likewise. Maybe we can have an underground book society.

The actual book has a life of its own, from the feel of the cover, to its smell, to the typset on the pages. Reading is so important to me. The process of choosing a book to read brings me pleasure. The smell of books brings me joy. It may sound silly to some, but the thought of losing something that is such a part of our culture truly saddens me. I hope and pray that my children's children will have the joy of surrounding themselves with real, solid books. Unfortunately, the practical side of me realizes that such a large portion of society is more pleased by the instant gratification technology can bring, so for this, I am fearful for the fate of books.

I have to agree with you here, but I can't really imagine that books could be done away with. As much as I like my Kindle, it's secondary. I use it for books that I can get for free, books that I don't think will be worth valuable shelf space in my house, and books that I want to carry with me in a convenient format to read during soccer practice. I would always choose a beautiful hardback if I could, but the reality is, I have limited financial resources and limited shelf space. My kids' school books and beautiful picture books take precedence for shelf space. Other things, I can get away with digital format.

Edited by bonniebeth4
clarification

Honestly I'm finding that I don't remember what I read as well when I read from a screen.

They will have to pry my paper based books from my cold dead hands.

:iagree: I need to print out to read & understand difficult things.

I also can't edit my own writing on the screen. I have to print to read it & then all the mistakes & word abuses leap out. On screen, they just don't show up & I scroll past the same dumb errors over & over again.

Guest Alte Veste Academy

:iagree:

to me, a die-hard reader treasures books. It's beyond reading to these people (I consider myself one). The actual book has a life of its own, from the feel of the cover, to its smell, to the typset on the pages. Reading is so important to me. The process of choosing a book to read brings me pleasure. The smell of books brings me joy. It may sound silly to some, but the thought of losing something that is such a part of our culture truly saddens me. I hope and pray that my children's children will have the joy of surrounding themselves with real, solid books. Unfortunately, the practical side of me realizes that such a large portion of society is more pleased by the instant gratification technology can bring, so for this, I am fearful for the fate of books.

I totally agree: a book is an aesthetic object and a sensory experience. And in its materiality, it's also historical -- you find books with marginal notes, dedications, inscriptions, doodles... You can see how the pages of very old books needed to be cut by the buyer, how people collected pamphlets and had them bound together. You can see how books changed owners, how people treated them (stains, water marks, rips, folded pages). You can feel the weight in your hands shift as you have more pages read (thus on the left side) than yet to go on the right.

I still prefer analog clocks, too. I like my clocks to tick and their hands to move. I even like it when they slow down and suffer from time lag.

Guest Cindie2dds
Honestly I'm finding that I don't remember what I read as well when I read from a screen.

Even my 75 yr old aunt got a Kindle! It does worry me, from a freedom perspective-Farenheit 451 and all that. And from a financial perspective; like I told my aunt, why would I get a Kindle and have to PAY for books when I can read all I like for free from my excellent library system? I like the option to be frugal and not be forced to pay for my books. :) Not to mention just the sentimental feel of a book in my hand.

I get free ebooks through my library for my Nook. And if they don't have a digital version for me, I still check out and read the paper version. It's not an either/or situation. :001_smile:

It's because I consider myself a die-hard reader that I love my e-reader so much. Our family is very mobile and it has become impossible for us to move one to two thousand books ourselves every year. When we've lived overseas, we only had the books we could carry in our suitcases, and that wasn't really very many. It was always a struggle to find enough books to read.

But now, finally, I am able to easily carry my library with me. Maybe others don't think it counts, or that it's not as good as their library. But it's a lifesaver for me and I wouldn't trade it for anything. And I can still check books out of my US-based library for free.

I also think that owning a lot of books is a luxury that many in the world don't have. But I think it's likely that e-readers will become inexpensive enough in the next few years that many people could own one (like cell phones did). I have friends in many countries who would love to be able to download ebooks from the internet just for the cost of a 10-minute visit to an internet cafe.

I'll always love paper books and I certainly don't think they'll become obsolete. But I don't think digital books are any less real or worthwhile than paper books. They're just different.

:iagree: I need to print out to read & understand difficult things.

I also can't edit my own writing on the screen. I have to print to read it & then all the mistakes & word abuses leap out. On screen, they just don't show up & I scroll past the same dumb errors over & over again.

Ditto. Ditto. Ditto.

It's one reason I'm done with ebooks of any kind. I spend more time, effort and money with paper and ink, because if it's detailed in any way, I have to print it out.

...But I don't think digital books are any less real or worthwhile than paper books. They're just different.

I wouldn't argue that digital books are less real or worthwhile. But so much popular wisdom argues the opposite - that it's printed books that are less worthy, and becoming obsolete. I strongly disagree with the statement from the linked article that "The Age of Books is ending."

It's funny that I just finished reading the book Tipping Point. Every epidemic (social or physical) has a tipping point, but all of them have a saturation point too. The sales of Kindles will eventually slow down again. I predict printed books and e-books will reach an equilibrium. They will both be useful tools in their own right.

The question is how long can some of us remain immune? What will be the argument that finally sucks us in?

I still don't have a cell phone.

:hat: