Menu

Star Wars grammar - was that ever developed?

klmama

Ha! I'd buy it in a heart beat because that would be a subject that would get done. :)

If they made a whole unit study curriculum centered on Star Wars, my son would get straight A's. LOL!

Dee in FL

ps I'll be following this thread, I just have to know:lol:

Haha Suzanne!

Oh, I wish this would happen somehow in spite of trademarks and legalities. My almost 8 yo is all about Star Wars. The kid remembers every tiny detail and even pointed out to me that in a book about the making of Revenge of the Sith the color of Kit Fisto's lightsaber is wrong in a sketch.

• 3 months later...

We have a book on the connections between classic myths and Star Wars. I think you could do a whole study based on that theme. My ds was comparing which SW character was like which character in myth, just based on a casual conversation.I don't have the book right in front of me, but I'll check later and post it if anyone is interested.

We have a book on the connections between classic myths and Star Wars. I think you could do a whole study based on that theme. My ds was comparing which SW character was like which character in myth, just based on a casual conversation.I don't have the book right in front of me, but I'll check later and post it if anyone is interested.

Yes, please post! My son is an average 8 yob who LOVES Star Wars!!! He would also have all A's if the subject was Star Wars!

Haha Suzanne!

Oh, I wish this would happen somehow in spite of trademarks and legalities. My almost 8 yo is all about Star Wars. The kid remembers every tiny detail and even pointed out to me that in a book about the making of Revenge of the Sith the color of Kit Fisto's lightsaber is wrong in a sketch.

LOL! This sounds like my ds. Quite the detail oriented one. :)

Yes, you can have many discussions comparing Star Wars and classic mythology. Another subject you can tie in is science. Thinking as to how to do a grammar program is very interesting indeed.

I saw a documentary about tying in SW & Classical Mythology on the History Channel, maybe? Very interesting!

I would say upper elementary at least. It goes well with Bulfinch, if I remember correctly.

There is Star Wars the Legacy Revealed from the History Channel (with cool extras)

http://www.history.com/minisite.do?content_type=Minisite_Generic&content_type_id=54079&display_order=1&mini_id=54078

Lucas learning makes some cool computer games for little kids- lesson plans available on the site

http://www.lucaslearning.com/

ETA: Here's some free science stuff

http://www.mos.org/starwars/doc/1861

I would say upper elementary at least. It goes well with Bulfinch, if I remember correctly.

There is Star Wars the Legacy Revealed from the History Channel (with cool extras)

http://www.history.com/minisite.do?content_type=Minisite_Generic&content_type_id=54079&display_order=1&mini_id=54078

Lucas learning makes some cool computer games for little kids- lesson plans available on the site

http://www.lucaslearning.com/

ETA: Here's some free science stuff

http://www.mos.org/starwars/doc/1861

Oh, Jedi Master you're timing is perfect. We are doing Bulfinch this year for literature. My padawan (although now he hates to be called that) will love that.

August 15th, Clone Wars movie, will be a perfect tie-in. :D

I second using SW for Science as well, but not SW technology. I'm going to use the Star Wars Essential Guide to Aliens and Speicies and the Star Wars Essential Guide to Plantes and Moons when we do classification/habitats/animal studies this year.

I haven't got the plans down exactly, but the species essential guide breaks down each species type: cephalopod, cetacean, feline, canine, gastropod, reptialis, avian...etc. And the moons and planets one does the same for habitats.

I was telling someone that they could laugh if they want, but Star Wars really is a classic in every sense of the word. If you really stop and think about it you could use Star Wars as your only curriculum (or mostly as your only) and cover pretty much everything: philosophy, mythology, literature, art, architecture, math, science, plant studies, animal studies, ship building...George Lucas are you paying attention!

I was also going to use the Star Wars and Mythology book DK has when we study Ancient Greece & Rome later this year. And then in 9th gr. revisit the Star Wars mythology thing in more depth with that history channel special.

Sheesh, now I'm rambling. Umm can you tell where ds gets his Star Wars fanatisicm from?

All 4 of mine love anything Star Wars related. OK, being honest, my hubby and I love it, too. I never thought to incorporate it into school, though. I am so bokmarking this thread. Yoda grammar! LOL!!! Someone email George Lucas and let him know he has a HUGE untapped market of homeschool moms who will line up for lesson plans,etc.

Love this thread!

Wow, there's some really great links posted here. Thanks. I was just going to post the book that I mentioned, but I see someone already put up a link to amazon. That is the same book--the DK one. I definitely want to check out some of the other links. I may need to work this into our myth/history curriculum this year.

Star Wars and Mythology book DK has

We have that. It is a great book & we'll be working it into some of our lit discussion times.

This is the type of thing we tend to do over lunch -- read a page or two, then just discuss....

Love this Star Wars thread! :001_smile:

Guest April K

Academy of Jedi Arts----I love the grammar sheets you made.

My children are also Star Wars fans. We are wanting to try to do our own unit study this year for Star Wars and also Legos(these go together around this house)

This links will be helpful. A complete curriculum based on Star Wars really would be priceless!