Menu

Prepare ahead breakfast

Ooh! I forgot how many kids you have. That's some serious assembly line cooking there, and I'm very impressed. I hope other people have ideas to add to the pile. We usually do do cold cereal here, and/or yogurt and fruit; at least, in the hot weather. Once it turns cool I bake more, and then I'm mostly looking for whole grain recipes, but I've been thinking about breakfast burritos for a while. So, you take them out the night before, and they go in the oven in the morning? They don't get soggy? How long/what temp. do you reheat?

~~So, you take them out the night before, and they go in the oven in the morning?

~~They don't get soggy?

~~How long/what temp. do you reheat?

I would like to add to her questions. ;)

~~Do you put these in zip lock bags for freezing?

~~How do they stay rolled up?

Thanks so much for this!! My dd is getting married in Dec and we are wanting to have some freezer meals for the frantic days and company. Although I know the flour tortillas will taste better, I am considering doing this with corn because we are avoiding gluten for my dd's sake. Thanks again! These sound wonderful!

Awesome, mama!!

I have a make ahead muffin mix that my oldest can do by herself, so we can have fresh muffins in 20min.

I make huge batches of granola and the kids use it on yogurt or with milk for quick and easy breakfast.

I'll post recipes on my blog later today!

Guest aquiverfull

Great idea Tina! I need to take notes on this thread. :D

So anyone with any other "make ahead" breakfast ideas, please post them.

Ooh! I forgot how many kids you have. That's some serious assembly line cooking there, and I'm very impressed. I hope other people have ideas to add to the pile. We usually do do cold cereal here, and/or yogurt and fruit; at least, in the hot weather. Once it turns cool I bake more, and then I'm mostly looking for whole grain recipes, but I've been thinking about breakfast burritos for a while. So, you take them out the night before, and they go in the oven in the morning? They don't get soggy? How long/what temp. do you reheat?
We used to enjoy cold cereal, but as the kiddos get older, it doesn't keep them full long enough and unless it's high protein (and generally expensive) they burn right through it and lack energy in about an hour and a half.

I wrap them in meals in foil, put them in the toaster over on 425 for about 15 min. Admittedly, they are not quite as wonderful as freshly made, but they are still quite tasty and the time in the oven takes away any soggy.

I would like to add to her questions. ;)

~~Do you put these in zip lock bags for freezing?

~~How do they stay rolled up?

Thanks so much for this!! My dd is getting married in Dec and we are wanting to have some freezer meals for the frantic days and company. Although I know the flour tortillas will taste better, I am considering doing this with corn because we are avoiding gluten for my dd's sake. Thanks again! These sound wonderful!

Congrats on the wedding! How exciting. As I wrap them, I set them in a dish (casserole or cookie sheet), rolled spot down; then I set them on foil and wrap tightly. This way, they're ready to go directly in the oven. If you wanted to use bags, you could use a toothpick to hold them together. I've done that before.

Great idea Tina! I need to take notes on this thread. :D

So anyone with any other "make ahead" breakfast ideas, please post them.

Please. I'm always looking for other ideas. I saw a wonderful breakfast bar recipe last week that I will try this weekend. If we like them, I'll add them to my blog. Keep those ideas coming! We're always open to variety!

Awesome, mama!!

I have a make ahead muffin mix that my oldest can do by herself, so we can have fresh muffins in 20min.

I make huge batches of granola and the kids use it on yogurt or with milk for quick and easy breakfast.

I'll post recipes on my blog later today!

I'll be reading those! We giggle with our friends who have all little people. I remember sweet breakfasts of granola and yogurt; lunch of half sandwiches, popcorn and carrot sticks. Those are all considered snacks now. We have gone to beans and rice, spaghetti and meatballs, soup and sandwich, etc. for lunch. I try to cook those things ahead and sometimes allow myself the cheater sauces and canned beans. Depends on budget and attitude :) I have really tried to push that easy button lately, as spending more than 15 minutes preparing meals is out of the question with all my teaching responsibilities.

Breakfast Cookies

1 cup sugar (can be cut in half)

1 cup oats

1 cup peanut butter

3 eggs

1/2 cup coconut

1/2 cup nuts (of your choice; pecans, almonds, etc)

1/2 cup raisins

1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda

1 teaspoon vanilla

Mix all.

Drop all by the tablespoon fulls on a greased cookie sheet.

Bake 350 deg for 8-10 min.

Makes about 24.

Breakfast Cookies

1 cup sugar (can be cut in half)

1 cup oats

1 cup peanut butter

3 eggs

1/2 cup coconut

1/2 cup nuts (of your choice; pecans, almonds, etc)

1/2 cup raisins

1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda

1 teaspoon vanilla

Mix all.

Drop all by the tablespoon fulls on a greased cookie sheet.

Bake 350 deg for 8-10 min.

Makes about 24.

you had me at cookies

We do baked oatmeal, bagel sandwiches, the traditional eggs and sausage, muffins and fruit, and freezer biscuits that I can make some easy sausage gravy to go over. We are getting rid of doing cereal this year because of the cost and the fact, as Tina said, it just doesn't keep them full.

Looks fabulous Tina! Thanks for the ideas!!

I make mini-quiches in a muffin tins with whatever I have on hand. Eggs, milk, veggies, turkey sausage, cheese, shredded potatoes. Kids love microwaving these in the morning. ;)

I also make smoothies with vanilla yogurt, fruit, peanut butter, flax oil. It's not a make ahead meal though.

Edited by lisabees

Fantastic! I need to do this. What do you wrap all those burritos and mama mcmuffins in for the freezer? Do they need to be individually wrapped?

Oh, and I was think breakfast cookies sound wonderful, but here's two ways to make it easier or faster. Option 1)Form cookies into balls and freeze on plate. After they are fully frozen toss them into a big ziplock bag. Bake off in the morning as need. Option 2) Spread in pan and cut into bars.

Tina, you are amazing and inspiring!!

Ok, here's my contribution:

Oatmeal Breakfast Cake

6 cups quick oatmeal

4 tsp baking powder

1/2 tsp cinnamon

1 cup brown sugar

1/2 cup white sugar

1/2 cup vegetable oi'

1/2 cup applesauce

2 cups milk

4 eggs

Combine all ingredients, sprinkle a little cinnamon/sugar on top and bake in a 9X13 pan at 350 for 35-40 minutes.

This cake is easy to vary. I sometimes replace the applesauce with mashed banana (about 1 cup) and add mini choc chips, or canned pumpkin and pumpkin pie spice, or blueberries and a little nutmeg.

Experiment and enjoy!!

I eat Kashi cereal with skim milk (my fave is Warm Cinnamon Heart to Heart) for breakfast or a smoothie. The cereal and milk gives me 14 g of protein.

Nathan likes: scrambled eggs (which he makes), oatmeal or honey and butter toast with a cheese stick.

Ben likes: leftover popcorn, Kashi cereal, fruit, cucumbers, peanut butter, banana and honey sandwich on whole wheat, cucumbers, smoothies.

I have no idea what John and Aaron eat in the morning other than Aaron eats yogurt sometimes, and they both eat muffins if I have them. I always have about six healthy cereals to choose from. I stock up when they are on sale. I stock up like crazy when they are on sale AND I have a coupon.

I cannot serve meat in the morning. We're strange. ;)

I also make mini muffins a lot, esp. to use up aging bananas.

I am definitely going to try the oatmeal cake.

Edited by nestof3

Awesome thread!

This is our traditional Christmas morning breakfast because I can make it on Christmas Eve, put it in the fridge overnight, pop it in the oven when we wake up, and breakfast is ready by the time we are finished opening presents. But, it's good other times of the year too. ;)

BREAKFAST CASSEROLE

2 lbs. pork sausage (1 hot, 1 mild)

3 c. milk

1 tsp. salt

1 1/2 c. shredded cheddar cheese

9 eggs, beaten

1 1/2 tsp. dry mustard

1 sm. bag Ore Ida hash browns

Cook sausage over medium heat until done, stirring to crumble. Drain well on paper towels, set aside. In same skillet, brown hash browns, over medium heat. Combine sausage, hash browns and remaining ingredients, mixing well. Pour into a well greased 13 x 9 x 2 inch baking pan. Refrigerate covered, overnight. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour.

Makes 8 to 10 servings.

All I can say, is where can my kids send their thank you cards? LOL. Seriously, they are going to be excited with the ideas you guys have offered up for breakfast. The oldest especially since I have a hard time getting him breakfast made before he goes off to school (he leaves the house by 6:30).

I eat Kashi cereal with skim milk (my fave is Warm Cinnamon Heart to Heart) for breakfast or a smoothie. The cereal and milk gives me 14 g of protein.

Nathan likes: scrambled eggs (which he makes), oatmeal or honey and butter toast with a cheese stick.

Ben likes: leftover popcorn, Kashi cereal, fruit, cucumbers, peanut butter, banana and honey sandwich on whole wheat, cucumbers, smoothies.

I have no idea what John and Aaron eat in the morning other than Aaron eats yogurt sometimes, and they both eat muffins if I have them. I always have about six healthy cereals to choose from. I stock up when they are on sale. I stock up like crazy when they are on sale AND I have a coupon.

I cannot serve meat in the morning. We're strange. ;)

I also make mini muffins a lot, esp. to use up aging bananas.

I am definitely going to try the oatmeal cake.

I love Kashi :) it's just too expensive to give to the whole lot (8 kids is a lot of Kashi!) *I* eat it often and I add almond milk :) YUM!