Menu

Confession

Nicely done. I have been very tempted to do this myself.

Further, why do writers of signs mix fully-spelled words with symbols and abbreviations? "PC"? Obviously it's "piece". "#" instead of "number", "&" and "and" etc... I have a horrible pet peeve about ALL CAPS too. They are so much harder to read!

Hey, you are trying to save lives! Tell your husband that. :D

FTR, I am so nervous about posting on this forum b/c of all you grammar vigilantes. :tongue_smilie:

I really do not judge people posting on forums such as these. It's easy to make mistakes in casual writing like this. I think signs and businesses should be held to a higher standard, it's unprofessional. eta: I am just trying to help out a little with my sig, some people seem really intent on adding apostrophes everywhere, lol.

You have seen this blog, haven't you?

The blog of unnecessary quotes

Yes! It is one of my favorites. :D

Nicely done. I have been very tempted to do this myself.

Further, why do writers of signs mix fully-spelled words with symbols and abbreviations? "PC"? Obviously it's "piece". "#" instead of "number", "&" and "and" etc... I have a horrible pet peeve about ALL CAPS too. They are so much harder to read!

Also, why the ellipses at the end? Was there more to say on the subject? Did they lose their train of thought?

I am a grammar vigilante. Before and after photos.

DH threatened to confiscate my red sharpie. :tongue_smilie:

*Whew*. I'm so glad I edited my incorrect "it's" on the women in church leadership thread just now, before you saw it. :D

So true. It was a truly heinous sign. You must tell us though; do you really just keep a red sharpie in your purse?

Well, I keep a sharpie in my purse for labeling boxes at the post office. It just so happened it was red yesterday and the opportunity presented itself. :blushing:

I agree that in quickly typing something, it hardly matters unless it twists the meaning but when a company or someone trying to apply for a position cannot make the extra effort to either have the material proofread or use at the very least the grammar section of the dictionary, it shows they don't care a whole lot - to me anyway.

Also, why the ellipses at the end? Was there more to say on the subject? Did they lose their train of thought?

Well, I am a serial ellipse abuser.

I just don't feel happy about the finality of a period. There's always more to say, more to think, more to consider....... It seems gentler to just trail off......

I just don't feel happy about the finality of a period. There's always more to say, more to think, more to consider....... It seems gentler to just trail off......

I use them a lot while posting. I utilize a lot of tricks to convey tone of voice and thought process in a lazy way. I just don't see the point of it at the end of that sign? "If we think of any other rules we'll let you know...maybe?" :lol:

I'm queen of the ellipses... Usually when I use them while posting it means I'm thinking of what to say next and want to convey the thinking process. :D

Then again, I never proofread what I post on online message boards. However it comes off the keyboard is how it gets posted. I do enough proofing for my school assignments, this is my place to relax!! But I promise... I generally have good grammar! :leaving:

:lol::iagree::lol:

Welcome to my world! I am afraid I am guilty of the same thing...;)