Menu

If you have naturally curly hair, post a pic!

I had to go back to find the fat rolls. Those are NOT rolls.

Here's what I'm currently attempting to do with mine. Cowlicks and all. It just kind of does what it wants. I'm happy when it's this flat.

[ATTACH]2951[/ATTACH]

I LOVE LOVE LOVE the short cut! If I didn't have a round face, I would totally try out a pixie cut!

You know, Moira's (nmoira) daughter has a round face and just got a pixie cut, and it looks awesome on her. I'd go for it.

I need to grow mine out to shoulder length. My face is just too long for this haircut.

Oh I remember seeing those pics. I need to go search and see if I can find it. Thanks!

So, funny that you say that. I have fought my hair for years and just in the last year or so I have finally embraced my curliness. Although the itch to pull out my flat iron strikes me now and then.:D

My very straight, very fine, very lifeless hair has given me fits all my life. I just think curly hair, and long like yours and Dawn's and Nakia's is so sexy and feminine. Then Dragon's hair is so adorable and modern and looks so easy to wash and go.

So, yeah. Jealous. Of all of you. *sigh*:tongue_smilie:

My very straight, very fine, very lifeless hair has given me fits all my life. I just think curly hair, and long like yours and Dawn's and Nakia's is so sexy and feminine. Then Dragon's hair is so adorable and modern and looks so easy to wash and go.

So, yeah. Jealous. Of all of you. *sigh*:tongue_smilie:

Wow, thanks. I just got mine cut, but my husband would definitely agree the long version is much sexier. :D

This is me before I found someone who knows how to cut curly hair:

post-9249-13535083759451_thumb.jpg

This is me after I found a good stylist. I like it better long but I can't find a good pic of when I had a good stylist and long.....:tongue_smilie:

post-9249-13535083759542_thumb.jpg

My husband definitely likes it longer, too. But, shorter is sooo much easier!

post-9249-13535083759451_thumb.jpg

post-9249-13535083759542_thumb.jpg

Nakia, my hair looks almost exactly like yours when it grows out!

This is it in its current, shorter state.

Cool, a hair twin! Is your hair fine? My individual strands are fine, but I have a ton of hair!! I get it thinned out several times a year.

Cool, a hair twin! Is your hair fine? My individual strands are fine, but I have a ton of hair!! I get it thinned out several times a year.

Exactly! I also get mine thinned. Oh, the tangles with LOTS of fine hair :D. I used to whine so much when my mom brushed my hair as a little girl that she broke a glass table with one of those big, pink plastic Avon brushes. She was close to hitting me upside the head, but caught herself and hit the table :lol:.

Wow - totally jealous here, too!

Nakia, my hair looks almost exactly like yours when it grows out!

This is it in its current, shorter state.

I just have to say that A) You sure don't like like "almost 40"! and B) while the hairstyle you were asking about in another thread would look fantastic on you, the waves are really working well in your current cut! Not even on a good day have my waves looked that good :glare:.

What kind of product do you use? Your waves look so easy and nice!

I know you weren't asking me, but I totally think we should share our favorite products and/or routines too!

I have tried all the expensive salon stuff, and I always go back to Herbal Essence shampoo and conditioner, usually either the Hello Hydration or Hydralicious kind. I only wash my hair about twice a week and just wet it the other days. I use either no frizz Aussie gel or, my forever favorite, Loreal melting gel.

Me and part of my sister's hair (I edited her out:tongue_smilie:). I have 3 sisters, 3 of us are curly and one is not. We're American Indian and Irish, this came out slightly differently in each of us.

I love seeing all the curly heads who choose not to fight it! :)

eta: Nakia, I use Deva Curl's no-poo and conditioner (when I'm feeling cheap, I use Aussie, it works pretty well too), whatever high-end-leave-in-spray-conditioner is on sale, soy renewal healthy serum and curly sexy hair curling creme.

Edited by Mrs Mungo

I have naturally curly hair but since I am always the one taking the pictures, I don't have a picture of myself and my lion's mane of curls. I have dozens of cowlicks, 3 types of curls (tight curls along my hair line, medium-sized bouncy in the middle, and large bouncy curls along my crown area). I have not been able to find a decent stylist since I moved to our small town. I use garnier fructis for conditioner every day, even the days I don't wet my hair and shampoo it only on Sundays. My hair is very coarse and thick. The longer it gets, the curlier it gets. My favorite conditioner is green, green, virgin olive oil. My hair soaks it up and it makes it feel so smooth. I dream of a pixie cut but have a long face that needs long hair to keep it from looking out of balance.

***I found one, finally. This was about 5 months after getting it cut into a layered bob. I didn't like it as much as I thought so I'm still growing it out. I find even with short cuts, I still have to pull it back out of my face since all my curls curl and fall forward.

post-17218-13535083761387_thumb.jpg

Edited by runmiarun

In shower:

Aussie Moist Shampoo

Aussie Moise Conditioner

Aussie 3-Minute Miracle

(I comb through my hair while conditioner is on and keep in a shower cap while I wash).

Out of shower:

2 pumps of Beyond the Zone Noodle Head Curling Cream (makes the curls separate)

http://www.sallybeauty.com/curl-cream/BTZ10,default,pd.html?cgid=Hair04-13

A quarter size of Sebastian Potion 9 (makes it really soft)

http://www.outblush.com/women/images/2008/10/sebastian-potion-9-wearable-treatment.gif

A tiny, tiny bit of my son's Got 2 B Glued Spiking Gel (makes it just a tad bit crunchy)

http://www.overstockdrugstore.com/product_images/v/052336341456.jpg'>http://www.overstockdrugstore.com/product_images/v/052336341456.jpg

Then I blow dry a little with a diffuser.

Then I spray this on -- it makes my curls keep form and wards off the frizzies better than anything I've ever tried.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/4188GFLPb1L.jpg

http://www.overstockdrugstore.com/product_images/v/052336341456.jpg

I know you weren't asking me, but I totally think we should share our favorite products and/or routines too!

I have tried all the expensive salon stuff, and I always go back to Herbal Essence shampoo and conditioner, usually either the Hello Hydration or Hydralicious kind. I only wash my hair about twice a week and just wet it the other days. I use either no frizz Aussie gel or, my forever favorite, Loreal melting gel.

I just have to say that A) You sure don't like like "almost 40"! and B) while the hairstyle you were asking about in another thread would look fantastic on you, the waves are really working well in your current cut! Not even on a good day have my waves looked that good :glare:.

:blush:Thanks! You're sweet. I cannot lie, I *am* 40. No almost about it. As far as the hair, it's been driving me bonkers for 2 days, but I think it's the humidity and the fact that I have a troublesome DEEP wave growing in on the left side of my head:glare:.

You made my night.

Here are two of the front.

Here's the back of mine with a barette:

picture.php?albumid=172&pictureid=796

Dawn,

I love your hair. It is just what I have always wanted. Instead I have straight, shiny but flat hair. It looks asian except for the dried out splint ends and it doesn't matter what I try to do with it. It has a mind of it's own.

What an awesome thread! Maybe that's where I'm going wrong with capitalizing on my wave - by not using the right products. I'd love a wash and go 'do, but I look like a witch if I do, so I don't. (ETA - That's not actually me in my avatar :lol:) The only products I use are Paul Mitchel Freeze Shine hairspray every once in a while and Retro Hair Shine Drops to kill the frizz, and that's AFTER I've curled the wave out.

So much stuff I learn on this forum! :tongue_smilie:

Dawn,

Your hair is gorgeous! I wish I could grow mine out. However, every time I try, it just overwhelms my face. Plus, I fear wind - seriously!

:iagree: I can't stand my hair when it gets longer. The wind creates so much frizz, it looks crazy. It's not coarse enough to stay in place.

What an awesome thread! Maybe that's where I'm going wrong with capitalizing on my wave - by not using the right products. I'd love a wash and go 'do, but I look like a witch if I do, so I don't. (ETA - That's not actually me in my avatar :lol:) The only products I use are Paul Mitchel Freeze Shine hairspray every once in a while and Retro Hair Shine Drops to kill the frizz, and that's AFTER I've curled the wave out.

So much stuff I learn on this forum! :tongue_smilie:

Yeah, if you want to capitalize on the curl (in my experience) you need 1) little shampoo, 2) a good conditioner (aussie is a good, cheap one), 3) a leave-in conditioner, 4) an anti-frizz/shine product and 4) a gel, mousse or curl cream of some kind.

Yeah, if you want to capitalize on the curl (in my experience) you need 1) little shampoo, 2) a good conditioner (aussie is a good, cheap one), 3) a leave-in conditioner, 4) an anti-frizz/shine product and 4) a gel, mousse or curl cream of some kind.

Great advice. Definitely don't wash every day with shampoo! It dries your hair out and causes all that frizz! Just an FYI, if you have fine strands, but thick wavy hair, like mine, you might not need as much conditioner. I don't use a leave-in. I love gel, but I had a hard time finding one that didn't make my hair sticky and/or crunchy (just make sure to keep your hands out of your hair until it's completely dry and then scrunch out the crunch). I've been thinking about trying some curl creams.

I could swear oaths on John Frieda Frizz-Ease when my hair is long.

Right now it's pretty much just wash (tiny bit of shampoo), tie under a hankerchief. When it gets some length I'll go back to using a smidgin of hand lotion in it. If you use too much it just looks greasy, but if you use the right amount it functions just like curl cream.

I'm loving these tips! I shampoo everyday. I'm thinking maybe I should cut back on it!

One product that I like is Herbal Essences None of your Frizziness Smoothing Leave-in Cream. A little bit in wet hair holds curl and wave, adds shine, and gets rid of the horrid frizzies!

Did anyone ever use that vanilla curl cream from Body Shop? Oh my gosh, it smelled SO good and I LOVED it! But, they stopped making it and then they were bought out by L'Oreal so I can't shop there anymore. :(

I am almost afraid to ask because I love that Loreal melting gel, but what is the reason you can't shop for any Loreal products?

This is my curly hair. I really have wavy hair but I can trick it into being curly. Nothing like the beautiful ringlets I'm seeing posted. I keep it shorter because it doesn't curl up as well if it gets too heavy and then I end up with messy hair.

I use Pure Abba Curl Prep.

Or a curling creme by TIGI Catwalk. (I can't find it on the web :confused: )

I blow dry and scrunch.

Sometimes I use creme (like a hair paste) after to further define the curls.

ACK! That picture is HUGE!!!!

post-10731-13535083762486_thumb.jpg

post-10731-13535083762486_thumb.jpg

This is me before I found someone who knows how to cut curly hair:

[ATTACH]2966[/ATTACH]

This is me after I found a good stylist. I like it better long but I can't find a good pic of when I had a good stylist and long.....:tongue_smilie:

[ATTACH]2967[/ATTACH]

My husband definitely likes it longer, too. But, shorter is sooo much easier!

Oh my, what a difference a good stylist makes! You look like a completely different person!

Barb

My hair is just wavy since having kids..it was curlier beforehand!

My dd took all my curls, and some!

She looks after hers well, since we borrowed Curly Girl from the library 2-3 years back now. She rarely washes her hair with shampoo. She wets and conditions her hair daily though. And spends waaaaay too long in the shower daily :) As for brands of conditioner....we try different ones regularly. We do find the Bedhead ones to be excellent. She needs a good quality thick conditioner. I wash my hair every 2nd day...the Curly Girl regime doesnt work for me as my hair is so fine, that leaving conditioner in it makes it too heavy.

post-2779-13535083762905_thumb.jpg

post-2779-13535083763008_thumb.jpg

post-2779-13535083763235_thumb.jpg

post-2779-13535083762905_thumb.jpg

post-2779-13535083763008_thumb.jpg

post-2779-13535083763235_thumb.jpg

I have naturally fine, obnoxiously wavy hair that just frizzes instead of curls. The youngest has curls but they never seem to grow because she matts and breaks off the hair on the back of her head. Any suggestions? The front is cute but the back resists all attempts to keep it soft. Also, what is up with the straight bangs?? Is this normal? She is my only curly haired kid.

8fd6f115.jpg

019ebf28.jpg