Menu

Any new h/s this year-what are you using?

bbrandonsmom

I feel lost on this board some days :) Are there any other "newbies" here? We'll be doing a mix of k/1st.

I've just borrowed WTM and so far like what I'm reading. I'm looking at the different programs to go over. I liked what I saw w/ Calvert, but I don't know if it fits w/ classical. Though it seems families do use it here. This is almost a "trial" for us, since dh is not entirely on board w/ hs. So I sort of need to use a curriculum, where if he wanted to "test" him into a grade later, he would fit. Though in reality, I think he would "test" above it, and maybe then dh would see h/s is better.

I looked at HWWT yesterday. I haven't looked at the Phonics Pathway(?) one yet. I wish these were at the bookstore to actually look at.

I haven't seen spelling yet, or maybe I haven't come to it yet in WTM. I had looked at The Phonics road to reading and spelling, due to the emphasis on good spellers and the Latin that is brought into it, but am not going to use it. I was thinking to have the boys do spelling based on the words they have learned so far, in reading? We tend to do a lot of singing w/ spelling. Like we'll be talking about colors and I'll say, "How do you spell RED?", and ds will think about it and spell it. I am a horrible speller. I'm not sure the method my public school taught spelling.

Anyhow, that's just some of our stuff so far. I'm also trying to figure out how to fit in a 3yr old into the schedule. I can break up the approx 3hrs of "school", right? Though ds does have a better attn span for "book" work in the a.m, he's geared more for reading in the p.m, which I thought I could do during nap time, but we all will need a rest at some point in the day.

I feel lost on this board some days :) Are there any other "newbies" here? We'll be doing a mix of k/1st.

Hi! Newbie here myself. :) My girl is officially in kindergarten, but really I'm just following her pace with things. We are using a mix of curricula because I wanted to use this year to try out a bunch of different things and see what fits.

We are using RightStart for math, which so far we love love love. Math is fun, she's totally "getting" it, and I love how it teaches mental math and an intuitive sense for numbers and is very low on "busywork."

For phonics/reading/spelling, we are using All About Spelling. I personally think it is great to use as a reading program, and she loves doing the lessons, even though they are long and challenging. Again, the hands on nature of the program has been a big hit.

We are doing The Story of the World Vol. 1 for history, even though it is "supposed" to be used in first grade. My DD has a real interest in ancient history, myths, etc., so I decided to capitalize on that natural interest and jump right in this year. She's loving it and it does not seem too advanced for her.

For science, we are just checking out lots of library books, doing experiments, doing nature study, and just following her interests. Since it's K, I really just want to introduce her to all the fun areas of study within science. I think this is the easiest subject to cover without a "curriculum."

I am also schooling with a two-year-old underfoot, so that can be a challenge at times. :) We do the lessons that most require focus during little brother's naptime, and include him in as much as we can. I think the thing that has surprised me most has been how much he is learning and picking up by osmosis -- it has really been fantastic for him.

Good luck! This board can be overwhelming at times, but there is an unbelievable wealth of knowledge here. :)

My DD is in 1st grade, having done K in a parochial school.

We're doing

Sonlight for History and LA, with various supplements here and there and a lot of tweaking.

Scott Foresman Spelling and phonics

HWOT/Copywork

Singapore Math

Local Homeschool Science class and Life Science unit studies/lapbooking (mostly from Currclick).

Elementary Spanish 1/2

We're finishing up SSL, having started it this summer, and I have LfCA, but I'm thinking we'll just do the chant CD to learn some of the words, and save the books for later. We also have SSG, because my DD wanted to try it when she saw the cute bird in her SSL book, so we're going to try that.

She's taking Kindermusik, Dance, and tumbling classes, so I consider that to cover her fine arts and PE. I'm still looking for an art class that's more than "make cute crafts" but doesn't put all kids age 6-12 together and expects them to do the same projects. I think being with kids that much older and trying to draw would drive my little perfectionist crazy!

I am right there with you as a newbie, but I've been planning (and buying) stuff all summer now. We start on Monday :D. This is our trial year too. Dh likes the idea of homeschooling just like I do, but we are withholding judgement on future years till we see how this year goes. I read TWTM after I chose our curriculum, but I think it will fit in nicely since TWTM doesn't start the history rotation till first grade. If we continue, it is what I will use as the framework for future years.

Dd is not reading yet, she knows all her letter sounds, but has not naturally developed blending. We are using phonics pathways (bought from amazon) and supplementing with bob books, starfall, and reading a-z (regret the purchase, but might as well use it since I bought it). Phonics pathways is VERY systematic (some might say boring), but I think it will give her a really solid foundation to work from. Depending on your son's reading level you wouldn't have to do any extra spelling work. Once we get to cvc words dd will have a weekly "spelling list" from the words she is working on in the book. After you pass cvc words the book teaches spelling rules, really great stuff I was never taught in school. (If you want to look before you buy you can always order at Barnes and nobel and look at it in the store, also if you oder online you can return it to the store)

We are using horizons K math, I know sonlight has placement tests for some of the most popular math programs if you aren't sure what math level to start at.

We are using Five in a Row as our main program. You read a picture book five days in a row focusing on a different subject and how the story fits it every day. Each day they get a review of previously lessons and learn new things. There is a WONDERFUL free site to go along with the lessons called Homeschoolshare. The program includes a lot of geography and social studies work. I'm adding a timeline (found on homeschoolshare). It is very easy to tweak for different levels and I really think that dd will have a fun and interesting K year with the program. The program includes science, but I am also using Building Foundations of Scientific understanding for a stronger science background. This is not strictly speaking classical, but I think it will give dd a really good foundation to start a history rotation next year.

I have a 2 1/2 year old and because of advice from a different list I am starting our day with a lesson for him. We will be doing Before Five In a Row (dd can join in or I will have independent work for her). After that I will be using Tot Trays when I will need to work with dd on her own. A lot of what we are doing, ds can join in (like the hands on math lessons, a lot of what we will be doing in the HWT program, and the FIAR lessons). We will be doing reading when ds takes a nap because I don't want any distrations for that lesson, but hopefully everything else will work with ds being around.

So that is what we are going to try for this year, hope it helps some.

I'm no newbie, but I'm lost some days, too :)

FYI, The Phonics Road (PR) does lots of singing :)

I've just borrowed WTM and so far like what I'm reading. I'm looking at the different programs to go over. I liked what I saw w/ Calvert, but I don't know if it fits w/ classical. Though it seems families do use it here. This is almost a "trial" for us, since dh is not entirely on board w/ hs. So I sort of need to use a curriculum, where if he wanted to "test" him into a grade later, he would fit. Though in reality, I think he would "test" above it, and maybe then dh would see h/s is better.

I looked at HWWT yesterday. I haven't looked at the Phonics Pathway(?) one yet. I wish these were at the bookstore to actually look at.

I haven't seen spelling yet, or maybe I haven't come to it yet in WTM. I had looked at The Phonics road to reading and spelling, due to the emphasis on good spellers and the Latin that is brought into it, but am not going to use it. I was thinking to have the boys do spelling based on the words they have learned so far, in reading? We tend to do a lot of singing w/ spelling. Like we'll be talking about colors and I'll say, "How do you spell RED?", and ds will think about it and spell it. I am a horrible speller. I'm not sure the method my public school taught spelling.

Anyhow, that's just some of our stuff so far. I'm also trying to figure out how to fit in a 3yr old into the schedule. I can break up the approx 3hrs of "school", right? Though ds does have a better attn span for "book" work in the a.m, he's geared more for reading in the p.m, which I thought I could do during nap time, but we all will need a rest at some point in the day.

That's good to know about the PP. I wanted something that included song or rhyme. I feel like the kids learn so much through song. I can't sing worth crud, but my boys don't seem to mind :)

I haven't even looked at math yet. I have a few k-2nd workbooks/cds from family who purchased them for us. But it's basic. I need to look at some of the math programs to see if they are similar to the stuff I have.

I would ideally like a curriculum to sort of follow until we get on our way, which is why I was looking at those. I like to follow schedules as much as possible-but I am relaxed about it too.

I am new this year too. My ds is 8 and we are going to give third grade a try. I have been looking into home education since he was about three, but for one reason or another we never started. I feel I have been planning for years, it is scary that it is now starting.

We did 3 weeks as soon as he finished his school year as we were both excited to see if it would work. We then took 3 weeks off, while I went over everything to see what worked and what didn't. Spectrum Spelling was a no go, and we are going to give AAS a try.

We are using:

SOTW3 - Story of the World 3

Evan Moor History Pockets

FLL - First Language Lessons 3

WWE - Writing with Ease 3

AAS - All about Spelling 1

LC - Latina Christina

Rosetta Stone Spanish (he has already done 3 years of Spanish)

Singapore Math

Christian Studies 1

Getty-Dubay italics

Adventures with atoms and molecules

We are going to start doing 2 days a week for the rest of the summer, and then dive in fully September.

Last year was my first year, but I still feel like a newbie. :)

To be honest, WTM completely intimidated me for my first year. I didn't use any of it for my K year. We mostly read, did Handwriting Without Tears, Singapore Earlybird for Math, and lots of science experiments last year. I don't feel like school actually started working for us until about February, and we started in August.

This year, I've done a little more planning. Reading aloud has become habit, so I think we'll have a good schedule going. DS is decoding enough that we can work on some more difficult phonics. (Check to see if your library has a copy of Phonics Pathways - mine did. It was nice to be able to look through it at my leisure.)

Here's what we'll be using:

Math Mammoth 1 + RightStart Math Games

Evan-Moor Daily Language Review 1

I'll be using the Usborne Encyclopedia of Ancient History as a History spine, adding in library books to supplement each week. Science will be library books covering the Animal Kingdom, Human Body, then Plants.

I'm using worksheets from ABCteach & some great flashcards to cover phonics digraphs & blends.

That's it. It really doesn't look like much written down, but I know it will be a lot when we actually do it. We spend at least an hour a day reading good library books, and that's where the bulk of our learning really happens.

This is our first year HS'ing. :) My DD will be doing 1st grade, and we're pretty much sticking with all the WTM recommendations. :)

For Language Arts we're using:

All About Spelling 1

Writting With Ease 1

Ordinary Parents Guide

First Language Lessons 1

For Math we're using:

Math U See Alpha

Math Mammoth (for suppliment)

For Science we're using Elemental Science Biology

For History we're using Story of the World 1 with the Activity Guide

I want to order Artistic Pursuits for our art study, but haven't yet. August is going to be our "finding our groove" month, and I'm planning to stick to the core subjects until we've got our feet under us, then start adding some "electives" (art, possibly teaching her to play the recorder).

We decided to homeschool DD after she finished her Kindergarten year at public school, so I had an entire school year to get ready. I am chomping at the bit to get started. :lol:

newbie here, too!! I seem to be in a different spot than most of you. I have dd(10) finished ps 4th and dd(7) finished ps 1st grade. they both did montessori for the primary level. we just 'started' after-schooling in early june.

I am 'doing' (well, very sparsely now in the summer as I work for Girl Scouts Summer camp)

sonlight core 3 with both of them and loving it (Borrowed from a friend)

Teaching Textbooks (3) and (5). we do try to keep this up regularly and are about 25% done with these levels.

Shurley (2) and (5) Loving the Level 2!!! still waiting for the (5). bought it off these forums last week.

We will do apologia astronomy and swimming creatures. I let each child choose the area that interests them and will do both this year. haven't purchased any of this yet. they sell for almost new price on the used forums. so need to get my order together soon..

I have a latin program but not sure i will start it until after christmas.

my oldest does piano and my little one will start in september.

they both dance.a lot. We will be at the studio 4 hours on wednesday and 2 hours on thursday..

both are in scouts

Robin in NJ

This will be my first year soon. My son will be doing 3rd grade and he wants to do so much that I am having trouble fitting it in.

He's doing (and not all every day; we may spread some out a semester at a time):

Handwriting- cursive and print practice

Spelling- A few workbooks but nothing big because he's a good speller when he tries.

Grammar- Grammar Island series and editing worksheets

Math- Math Mammoth

Science- Winter Promise Body/Forensics (we're really excited about this!)

History- Mystery of History Vol. 1

Spanish- La Clase Divertida

Greek- Code Cracker

PE- taekwondo (he's been doing this 4+ years already) and Yoga

Music- guitar lessons

Art- Artistic Pursuits

Geography- Games

Reading and Writing- Assignments from me.

He also wants to learn Korean. I have a book and CD but it looks intimidating!

And he wants to do a musical theater class but I think it may be too pricey

and he wants to do community theater

and he wants to start a pooper scooper business.

He has big plans!!

My 3yr old will be home and around but she will probably just play and color a random worksheet to make her happy. My 6yr olds will be in public school 1st grade and I'm just hoping and praying that they don't get too much homework.

I'm new.

Tentative plans for K.

Math: Saxon 1

Phonics: Ordinary Parent's Guide to Teaching Reading (Wise) along with

suggested magnetic board and magnetic letters

Reading: I check out all the listed readers suggested by Sonlight and

Veritas Press from library. Try to read together about 45

minutes/day (about 30 minutes with me; 15 with daddy).

Art: Drawing with Children (Brookes)

Handwriting: Zaner Bloser along with Startwrite software program for

more practice

Bible: The Bible and Child's Story Bible (Vos)

Music: listening to my piano playing (hymns, etc.)

I'm new - though I've been lurking for 6 months just gathering ideas. My son will be 4.75 in the fall (and would have missed the cutoff for K by 5 days if we would have sent him), so we are doing an Early K/K program this year and seeing how it goes. I also have a 2.5 year old who will come along for the ride when appropriate.

My plans are:

Reading: The Reading Lesson + some Montessori-inspired LA activities (and early readers, of course!)

Math: MEP Reception and math games

Science: Interest-based explorations in science using Read and Find Out and DK books as the spine + activity ideas from various blogs (first up: Dinosaurs & Prehistoric Creatures - as a family we are going to try to construct a dinosaur model from chicken bones - wish us luck) + Nature studies (using Sharing Nature with Children)

Culture/Handwork- Earthschooling curriculum; fairy tales and short stories from around the world

Music: Listen to CDs from one musical genre a month; exploration with instruments at home; live performances (when we can - we live by a university with a great Musical Society that hosts family days)

Art: Experimenting with wet-on-wet watercolor (and whatever else strikes us) + art classes at a local children's art studio

Religious Studies: Godly Play + reading from the Message and Letter of the Week/Bible Verse activities from Impress Your Kids

What do you think?

- Slojo

I have been a Kindergarten and Pre/K teacher for the past 8 years. I am going to hs my dd-5/05, dd-8/07...

We are going to follow different Kindergarten programs for my dd whom is 5 and watering down the programs for my little wiggly dd whom is about to be 3...

ELA/Phonics-Mcruffy???, Dr. Jean for sure!!

Math-Like the idea of Singapore, but think that dds learning styles would better fit Mcruffy or Horizon, Everyday counts calendar

Writing-Lucy Calkins

Handwriting-following a curriculum from a school district that I loved

Biblical-Funshine Express, Daily Devotions

Science-Mcruffy??, Sonlight??, From mudpies to magnets

any thoughts?:confused:

I've got about six months under my belt here but I still feel new. That said, I've learned a lot in the past months for sure! We're in K material (started in January, year round schooling) and moving toward 1st grade this coming year.

Our curriculum:

Phonogram based Phonics (Orton Gillingham w/some Spalding style from free resources and BRI readers) leading to Phonics Road I when we can.

Handwriting Without Tears K is completed and we're doing copywork now though I may get the 1st grade workbook for one child who needs a lot of work in this area.

RightStart A and MEP math.

Salsa Spanish

Heart of Dakota--Little Hearts for His Glory K and will move on in that I think in 1st. I've got Karen Henley bible materials and Grapevine studies too we use and/or will use in 1st. I also purchased How to Teach Art to Children way back when which we're going to do in 1st I think.

Lots of read alouds, video treats like Liberty Kids and Magic Schoolbus and youtube clips of all sorts, play together, exploring, etc. I'm working on some specific learning differences and special needs areas with one kiddo so that takes a significant amount of time/energy on my part.

Edited by sbgrace

I have been a Kindergarten and Pre/K teacher for the past 8 years. I am going to hs my dd-5/05, dd-8/07...

We are going to follow different Kindergarten programs for my dd whom is 5 and watering down the programs for my little wiggly dd whom is about to be 3...

ELA/Phonics-Mcruffy???, Dr. Jean for sure!!

Math-Like the idea of Singapore, but think that dds learning styles would better fit Mcruffy or Horizon, Everyday counts calendar

Writing-Lucy Calkins

Handwriting-following a curriculum from a school district that I loved

Biblical-Funshine Express, Daily Devotions

Science-Mcruffy??, Sonlight??, From mudpies to magnets

any thoughts?:confused:

Your kids will benefit from your experience! My kids are getting a first year teacher! :tongue_smilie:

I feel silly making suggestions for someone who probably has a much better idea of where she wants to go and what will work than I did starting with mine! I'm not sure what learning styles they have that fit McRuffy but if you like the conceptual math/Asian math of Singapore but they need more hands on, manipulatives, games, etc. you might check out RightStart. I really love it for beginning math because it's solid/conceptual and fun. We're enjoying MEP math too which is free for printing, conceptual, and colorful at least at the Reception (K) year I'm using. McRuffy looks fun and active too! But if you want conceptual math like Singapore there are other options as well. I'm not sure what to suggest on science because I didn't find anything I've loved but I think active and experiential is what you want at these ages.

This is our first year actually using curricula and making a schedule. Before now we've been schooling at DD's whim and using units I put together myself. DD is 4.5, so officially this is her prek year.

We are using:

Singapore 1A and Miquon

All About Spelling

Progressive Phonics and BOB Books

Elemental Science - Intro to Science

L'Art De Dire (French)

Song School Latin

We are possibly also adding Lollipop Logic, Galloping the Globe, and 1 semester American History/1 semester prehistory.

Even with all that scheduled, we still school for less than 3 hours a day, and that includes 30 minutes for "PE", 30 minutes of read-aloud chapter books at night, fun stuff like a "tea party" each week, art projects, watching a movie once a week in French, writing letters and cards to friends, etc. I'd say for the actual "school" stuff, you could probably trim it to 2 hours a day. I just need to schedule everything because of our busy schedules.

You may want to check into Progressive Phonics, it is a free program. Works well as a supplement also. Also, check out Elemental Science. It is written by a mom on these boards to follow the WTM method. From the samples, it looks like a great program, and I'm sad I have to wait until September to get it!

Check your library for Phonics Pathways so you can try it for free. My favorites for teaching reading and spelling are McRuffy and Alphabet Island. I also like Galloping the Globe for a gentle introduction to world geography, animals, and ecosystems.

I suggest breaking up sessions and taking it easy in the early years. 3 hours is a lot of time for a young one. I think the most important focus for K and 1st is learning to read and write, simple math, and having a fun and positive experience with learning. Nourish their interests and make school fun!

I started HS in April after I pulled DD out of our church school 3/4 of the way through K. I just went into more of a 1st grade curriculum when we started stuff at home.

I started with the WTM and jumped on the band wagon of all the stuff written by the authors. I stuck with it for about 3 months and found it so dry that it was boring me and DD both. (I know some people really love it, it just wasn't a good fit for us) So back to the researching I went to find something that I thought would fit better.

DD likes workbooky stuff which I know is not in the classical mindset but I have to pay attention to her learning style. I do not like stuff that only involves me reading to DD with no written participation from DD (ie FLL, Ordinary Parents Guide to Teaching Reading) I also have a 18month old DD tagging along so sitting down and reading EVERYTHING to DD all day long didn't work well for us.

I have our current choices in my siggy.

Though ds does have a better attn span for "book" work in the a.m, he's geared more for reading in the p.m, which I thought I could do during nap time, but we all will need a rest at some point in the day.

We do math at night and most other things in the am. Home schooling is great, huh?? You can do stuff when it's best for your kiddo!!

This is our first year- if she were going to school, she'd be starting Kindergarten at the end of the month!

We're required to cover certain subjects here, so we'll be doing:

English- working more on reading. I'm torn about whether to finish OPGTR or not, as she doesn't seem to get much out of it anymore and prefers to read actual books. I think I may simply focus on making sure we get through the I See Sam advanced readers. She'll also be working on Getty-Dubay handwriting.

Math- Miquon and MEP. We love both of them here.

Social Studies- Geography, which I'm putting together myself.

Science- Lego robotics, geology, animals, things that tie into our geography study.

Art- Drawing, lots of visits to art museums, participation in the National Gallery's free "Stories in Art" program, whatever else comes up.

Music- Piano lessons with Dad, Classics for Kids

PE- Swimming, soccer, running around at the playground.

Health- Magic School Bus Germs experiments.

German- Saturday school program, Einstern's Schwester workbooks, German TV shows, read-alouds & conversation at home.

You can probably guess that German is the non-required subject.

Another newbie with a K/1st grader. My DS should be starting K next week, but was too advanced for K but not mature enough to go into 1st. So we decided to homeschool for at least this year (trial for DH, but I'm sure we will homeschool at least all of elementary school)

We are using

Phonics - Ordinary Parent's guide to reading, Explode the Code

Spelling - All about Spelling - Level 1

Reading - Bob books, Nora Gaydos readers, and other library books that are at his level.

Handwriting - HWT 1st grade book

Math - Singapore Standards Ed 1A

Logic/Critical Thinking - Lollipop Logic, Logic Links A, Random workbooks on sequencing

Geography - Evan Moor Beginning Geography to learn map skills and then moving into Galloping the Globe around Christmas

Science - 2 classes a month at local science museum, plus random experiments to explain things he asks about and lots of science books from the library. We are also doing worm composting, gardening.

We started school back in mid-June (DS couldn't wait to start his books once they arrived) We do Math, Reading, Phonics and Handwriting everyday and Spelling a couple of times a week. Everything else is when we have time or feel like doing them.

We did preschool last year, but I consider this our first "real" year.

Our plan is the following:

Reading: Sonlight readers

History: Sonlight K

LA: CLE LA 1

Bible: Sonlight pre-k Bible... repeated from last year

Math: Singapore 1 and Miquon

Science: Classical Conversations and Mudpies to Magnets

Art: Classical Conversations

Music: Classical Conversations

Memory work: Classical Conversations

I sorta want a felt board for Bible stories. They are pretty expensive, though.

Newbie here too. I have a kindergartener. We're doing this:

Phonics: Signs for Sounds

Bible/History: Little Hearts for His Glory

Reading: some FIAR (If we own the title), some Moving Beyond the Page, and a lot of lessons based on what she chooses from what I provide. I'm following Stephanie Harvey's Strategies That Work. and also using a lot of different things in my files. DD is reading about the 3rd-4th grade level so my focus is keeping her loving it while building vocabulary and comprension.

Math: I'd purchased Math on the Level but am finding that I would prefer to some other things first. I'm going to do a lot of Math Their Way stuff. (google math their way summary newsletter and blackline masters and you'll find a gold mine of free printable stuff, fyi). Also doing lots of games I have in my files.

I have a 4yo and an almost 2yo.

Science--TBD

We just had our first official day today! I have a 4th grader, a 1st grader and a 2 year old. I feel like we did ok, but the lessons didn't take as long as I anticipated so we were done really fast. Is that normal? Anyway, here is what we are doing for now:

DS 9 years old:

Math Mammoth 4

MCT Grammar Island

Writing with Ease 2 (he has never done any narration or dictation in PS)

All About Spelling (zooming through level 1 so he knows all the rules)

Story of the World 1

Elemental Science Earth/Astronomy

Lots and lots of reading!

Artistic Pursuits

DD 6 years old:

Math Mammoth 1

First Language Lessons

Writing with Ease 1

All About Spelling

Story of the World 1

Elemental Science Earth/Astronomy

Artistic Pursuits

Lots of reading!

I just realized we don't have a handwriting curriculum and I don't know what to do for that. I think I would like to try a separate Geography as well, maybe Map Trek?

We just had our first official day today! I have a 4th grader, a 1st grader and a 2 year old. I feel like we did ok, but the lessons didn't take as long as I anticipated so we were done really fast. Is that normal? Anyway, here is what we are doing for now:

I just realized we don't have a handwriting curriculum and I don't know what to do for that. I think I would like to try a separate Geography as well, maybe Map Trek?

Yes, I find that we can breeze through some lessons to but if you think about a teacher in PS, they have 30ish kids they have to teach to and you only have 2, that is the way I look at it. You don't have to make sure 30 kids understand it.

On the handwriting, if they know how to form their letters and just need practice I would incorporate some sort of copywork, like verses from the Bible or another book, poems, haiku, etc or letters to family.

Can't help you on the geography, we aren't there yet.

I'm a newbie too. :) DD has been in ps since preschool and I decided last year (1st grade) we'd be homeschooling for 2nd grade and on so I've had a good 6-8 months of planning. It is extremely overwhelming...there's so much curriculum to choose from. I'm in the beginning stages of organizing 36 weeks using the file folder system. We are still waiting on some books to come in the mail as well. I've decided to review much of what she learned in 1st grade before moving on to 2nd grade work. We will move fairly fast during the first quarter.

I'm following WTM recommendations. I am not a 'natural' teacher so I like teacher intensive curriculum. I need all the help I can get. :)

Language Arts:

Spelling: All About Spelling

Grammar: First Language Lessons 1/2 (starting with 1)

Phonics: Ordinary Parent's Guide to Teaching Reading and Explode the Code.

Copy Work: The Complete Writer

Writing: Handwriting w/o Tears, 1st grade

Reading: Tons of good literature and history books.

Math: RightStart

Science: Still deciding...

History: Story of the World -- private school 2x's a week.

Art: Pulling lessons from internet (following dd's interest.)

PE: Swimming and gymnastics

Music: Violin lessons

Also doing Latin 2x's a week through private school.

I have a first grader now. K was our first year, too. It's really important to have the basic stuff down, so I would simply focus on phonics, math, and handwriting. It took us just over hour at the most every day, with a 2 yr old underfoot. Most days, we had time to do anything else we wanted to do. I found doing unit studies to be the easiest way to learn about everything else; I tried to keep the topics centered around science or geography. Don't worry about spelling until 2nd grade after you've done a bit more phonics.

Reading WTM really helped me, too. I recommend reading Ruth Beechick's The Three R's, and Cathy Duffy's 100 Top Picks For Homeschool Curriculum. Reading these books helped me to sort through all the info out there and not be so overwhelmed. Good luck and enjoy your first year!:)