Menu

Has Anyone Been to or Lived In Irelend and/or Scotland?

I'm busy planning my 2012 vacation (yes...I'm compulsive that way...AND I love love love trip planning. So 2010 and 2011 are fully booked and planned and I'm working on 2012. But I digress).

I will turn 40 and my oldest DD will turn 16 that year, so I'm thinking something really cool would be in order.

A few weeks ago I happened across an itinerary that I think I'd like to copy. It included 4 nights (I think) in Dublin and 4 nights (I think) in Edinburgh.

Does this sound like a reasonable amount of time in each place to you? Too much? Too little? I was thinking I'd rent cars in both places and just explore because I refuse to do the tour bus thing.

What do you think, generally speaking? Any "must see" things in either place?

I've lived in Ireland. I've never been to Scotland, but have had family that have been many times.

You will want to take into account jet lag, so your 4 days might really be 3 days.

Why Dublin? I'm just asking because it is a city and lots of Ireland's charm is in the country. What do you want to see/do? Are you renting a car - you know they drive on the other side of the road right?

Same with Edinburgh. Its a big city. Is that appealing to you versus out in nature and country?

My husband and I were married in Scotland. It was amazing!!!!! I had always wanted to go and it totally lived up to my expectations. What we did was spend the first two nights in Edinburgh, then drove up to the highlands and stayed there for 3 days, then drove back to Edinburgh for our final night. It was so wonderful. We stayed at The Channings (we got a free upgrade to that hotel, otherwise we couldn't have afforded it). It was the most amazing hotel I've ever stayed in, ever ever ever. http://www.townhousecompany.com/channings/about_us/ Edinburgh was great, but a few days is all you need I think. Of course go to the castle, but our favorite part was the ghost tour. It was freakin hysterical, and fairly educational. (a bit scary at the end, when you are in the dark they yell "boo", so if you have kids make sure to warn them. Also, depending on religious beliefs, if you are very anti ghosts and such you obviously wouldn't like it. Not sure if there is an age requirement). Oh, and eat at the Royal Macgregor!!!! Their haggis, neeps and tatties were our favorite. And the atmosphere is wonderful. http://www.royalmcgregor.co.uk/ Again, depending on your beliefs about alcohol, but I think the Whiskey Heritage Museum isn't to be missed. It's fun for kids and adults (adults get to sample the whiskey if they like), it covers some history of the country, and there is a ride!!! http://www.whisky-heritage.co.uk/

The best times were driving through the various areas in the highlands. We loved the Inverness area, and stayed outside the little town of Dingwall. We stayed at Tulloch Castle, and although the beds were not the most comfortable the atmosphere was great. There is even a dungeon. http://www.celticcastles.com/castles/tulloch/index.html

We drove to the distilleries and stopped at a tiny brewery. I wish we had taken the time to go to the winery in the Dingwall area, it supposedly makes Cherry Wine and Mead. We stopped at little tea shoppes and farm stores in the country side and ate the most amazing food. Something I hadn't realized until I got there is that the cheese is amazing! Definitely go to Eilean Donan (http://www.eileandonancastle.com/), it's totally worth paying the entrance fee to wander around inside a real castle. Plus, it's gorgeous!

We also drove out to the Isle of Sky, to have a picnic. It's surreal there. While we were parked in a field lunching on pastries from a local shoppe I found several thistles.

If you don't want to drive on the wrong side of the road you could take the trains. They go everywhere and are very scenic from what I can tell. (although you have to pay to use the bathrooms in the main stations)

Just for fun, this is the private chapel we were married in: http://www.belladrum.co.uk/pages/weddings.asp

Have fun! After traveling there my husband and I dream of someday having a vacation home there. He's traveled to many countries and likes Scotland best of all.

I agree with the person who said the countryside in spring is the best part of Scotland. We drove all over the place in a dinky car and just stopped on a whim. Loved every second of it. We don't like tour buses and I just used my own knowledge of Scottish history to map out an itinerary. If you can, I highly recommend staying at the Ardoe house in Aberdeen. It's beautiful! But be careful or you might conceive a baby there.... well I did anyway. LOL!

When I was single, some friends and I went both places.

We stayed in Dublin for a day or two, then rented a car and drove around Ireland. I can't remember how we found our B&Bs, though.:confused:

A friend rented a home on the coast of Ireland this past spring break. They rented a car also and took day trips around the country. The 7 days there was just about right, in her opinion. :)

Wish I could be more help. I'd love to take my family there someday!

I have not been to Scotland.

In Ireland, I would not spend more than a day in Dublin...it is just a city. I would go see the Burren,

http://www.bamjam.net/Ireland/Burren.html

the Bay of Galway,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Galway_Bay_from_Salthill.jpg

Have lunch in the pub in Doolin,

http://www.aranview.com/doolin.html

Go see the Cliffs of Moher....

http://www.travlang.com/blog/the-cliffs-of-moher-the-most-outstanding-coastal-features/

Wade in the ocean at Ballybunion beach (but find another town to stay the night in)

http://www.irelands-directory.com/photos.php?Image=5

Go to Kilkenny and see the castle and the Black Abbey:

http://www.kilkennycastle.ie/en/

http://ireland.archiseek.com/buildings_ireland/kilkenny/kilkenny/black_abbey.html

Plan to spend the late mornings driving for a few hours (taking time for stops) then around lunch time find a town to stay the night, book a room in a B&B, eat early because in many of the small towns there is no dinner to be had in the evening, unless you can talk a pub into making you a ham cheese and onion sandwich, see the sights....we had a 16 yo with us too, and never had any problems enjoying the pubs in the evening - even if you don't drink, they are a nice place to soak up the local character.

The big cities are okay, but the smaller towns are much more interesting, IMO.

I've been to Edinburgh and Dublin. I wouldn't spend my whole Irish/Scottish visit in those two cities. It'd be like trying to see America by going to DC or NYC for four days. Not representative of the country as a whole, too busy/touristy, etc...

When we went to England and Scotland, we spent 3 days in London (day one was "get over jet lag day," so we didn't do a lot), then drove to western England for two days to a small town where my husband's grandfather's surname probably originated. We then drove to York, in the Northeast, and spent two days there. Then we drove to Edinburgh for two days.

When we went to Ireland, we spent two days in two different cities (Kinsale, County Cork, and Kenmare, near the Ring of Kerry) before coming back to Dublin for two nights. From each smaller city, we drove out to the surrounding areas and we flew into and out of Dublin, so we saw the Ring of Kerry, Tralee, Cahir, the Rock of Cashel, several famous golf courses (dh played), as well as the Dublin sites.

On each trip, the majority of our trip was in smaller towns/cities, meeting regular people, shopping in small shops, eating in mom-and-pop restaurants.

We found the smaller cities so much more enjoyable that next time we travel internationally, we've chosen to skip the major cities altogether. :)

If you're comfortable driving, I'd suggest that you spend the majority of your time in a non-capital city, so that you can get away from the touristy stuff and see the real Ireland or Scotland.

HIH,

Lisa

Oh, man! Now I want to skip what I already have planned for 2011 and go directly to Europe!

I only picked Dublin and Edinburgh because I think they would be good jumping off points and cheaper to fly to. I'd definitely rent a car both places and drive around (and yes, I know they drive on the other side of the road, but that doesn't bother me).

Now I'm thinking I'd fly in, spend a night or two in the cities and then just hit the road and find a place to stay when we're sick of driving!

Laundrycrisis (love that name, by the way), I could spend half a day just going down the rabbit holes of the links you provided. Too bad I have a job and have to actually get some work done today!

Same thing with yours, ktgrok, for Scotland! Although I must say the haggis you bragged about holds no appeal for me whatsoever.

Ok, so...reading, planning, dreaming. Again.

Thanks for all the responses!

Hello there. I don't know much about Ireland - I spent a week in the countryside there, which was lovely, but haven't visited Dublin.

Thoughts about Edinburgh. For the city itself, don't rent a car: most of the places you will want to visit are walkable - whatever isn't can be reached by a normal local bus or taxi. Parking can be difficult and expensive and I think you will see much more if you just walk.

I would plan on a day or two in Edinburgh and then getting out of town. Edinburgh is a fair way from the Highlands, but you could drive to Glen Clova, for example, in about two hours. Think about what you want to concentrate on: scenery, history, culture.....

Think also about when you want to come: August is extremely busy in Edinburgh every year, due to the arts festival, and accommodation is expensive at that time. If you are going to the Highlands, then May is a good month, as the midges don't usually emerge until the end of May or June. Midges are not a problem if you are sticking to Edinburgh/southern Scotland.

I haven't lived here that long, but do ask if you have more specific questions.

Laura

Personally I would not want all that time in a city. The country is just gorgeous, and smaller towns are wonderfully different than America. Also, Edinburgh is really, really expensive--I think it would be cheaper, more comfortable, and much nicer in a country B&B or small town inn of some sort.

The castle in Edinburgh is really cool, and well worth a day. Down the street is a cathedral (St. Giles???) that is nifty as well.

My favorite tour in Edinburgh by far is Mary King's Close. It's totally unique and utterly fascinating.

Be warned--Scotland is a culinary wasteland. When we have been there (two times) we have had a lot of difficulty finding real food. They deep-fry everything there. Even the cutest little inns had the nastiest menus of cardboard hamburgers and pre-packaged products. We had better luck in Edinburgh, at twice the cost.

You should definitely plan to see the coast, get in some medieval ruins, and try to see the Highland Games.

I can also highly recommend the island of Arran, off the west coast. There is a site with six stone circles (it's rare for there to be such a cluster like that) and the scenery is breathtaking. I think there is also a castle there??? When I went we just did the ruins. Lots of people go overnight so they can fit everything in more comfortably.

Finally, don't rent a car within the city. It's easy to walk or take public transportation.

and then just hit the road and find a place to stay when we're sick of driving!

This was our original plan - but what we found in rural Ireland is that in the small towns, they stopped serving food around 4 PM and most of the B&Bs had filled their rooms by very early afternoon - so when we got off the road somewhere at 5 pm, we had a hard time finding a room, and an even harder time finding something to eat. That's why our daily routine became: depart area after breakfast at B&B, drive until lunchtime, then stop, find a room, eat a large lunch, then see the sights in town and secure some portable snacky stuff for evening, and spend the evening seeing whatever is still open and enjoying the local pubs.

I have to disagree about Scotland being a culinary wasteland. We though the food was amazing!!!! We had everything from Steak and Ale pie to amazing tarts made with wild mushrooms, greens, and the best cheese I'd ever had. The seafood in Scotland is world renowned. And of course there is the lamb! And we certainly didn't find it expensive. We actually would eat a big breakfast whever we were staying, of oatmeal or meusli, eggs, toast, fruit, etc, then would find a small pastry shop or tea shop for a snack late morning or noon,then have another big meal for dinner. We loved the bits of bread and cheese (and the GIANT carrots) we got at small farm shops in the highlands, loved the pastries from the places in the city, goodness, just loved the food in general. We even talked about how Edinburgh smelled good, like yummy food, instead of stinky like most cities. Oh, and dessert was generally either a small piece of shortbread and tea or Cranachan, (it's good at http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/edinburgh/pubguide/worldsend.html) which is mildly sweet dessert made with toasted oats, fresh berries, and whipped cream flavored with a tiny bit of Scotch. Oh, and one night we just had a lovely cream of turnip and parsnip soup. I had only one bad meal, and that was my own darned fault for going into a pizza place instead of a locally owned place.

Be warned--Scotland is a culinary wasteland. When we have been there (two times) we have had a lot of difficulty finding real food. They deep-fry everything there. Even the cutest little inns had the nastiest menus of cardboard hamburgers and pre-packaged products. We had better luck in Edinburgh, at twice the cost.

There is good food though. The OP might like to look at a guidebook called 'Scotland the Best'. It's mostly bought by Scottish people, rather than tourists, and it lists decent food in all areas, as well as the best attractions, walks, lochs, mountains, castles.....

Best wishes

Laura

I haven't been to either place, but my parents and grandparents did a driving b&b tour in Ireland a few years ago. That might be something to check out. I think they did 6 days/5 nights, but Iknow they offer different tours. I don't know which company they used, but it was something like this.

We visited Scotland a number of years ago. We flew into Glasgow, traveled through the borders region, then turned northward up the east coast through Edinburgh and up around the north coast and back down the west coast to fly out of Glasgow. We actually got into Edinburgh late in the day and spent the less crowded afternoon/evening doing things up on the mound. We left the next morning. It was too touristy for us and there was much, much more to see and do in Scotland out in the countryside.

We would have loved to have gone out to the Orkneys, but ferry travel is just too, too slow unless you're going to be there a very long time. We did drive out on Skye and did take a ferry to Mull and Iona while we were there.

I would try to see countryside rather than spending all my time in the most crowded cities of those countries, where all the typical tourists spend their time.....

Dh and I visited Edinburgh for a most wonderful vacation. We based in a homestay rental at the base of Calton Hill that was owned by a very nice family. Here's the link: http://www.aboutscotland.co.uk/edin/minnowhouse.html. It was a 2-story self-catering with views of the entire city at night (spectacular!). The owners even let us use their washer and dryer after getting caught in a nasty rain storm. We took the train out every day to other cities to see the sites. Scotrail was affordable and reliable as clockwork. As goofy as it sounds, the first day we took one of the open air bus tours of Edinburgh. It helped us get our bearings since we were severely jet-lagged. I second a pp who mentioned not going in August. The Edinburgh Festival and The Fringe Festival are held mid- to -late August/early September and very popular so the city is very very crowded with the lodging rates HIGH. Here's some the places we went: Dunfermline, Sterling, Queensferry, Incholm Abbey, Rosslyn Chapel, Holyrood Palace and Abbey, and of course, Edinburgh Castle. We spent 1 1/2 days wandering around Edinburgh proper, including racing through some of the museums/galleries. I am so excited for y'all! What a great trip to plan.

I have not been to Scotland.

Have lunch in the pub in Doolin,

http://www.aranview.com/doolin.html

Go see the Cliffs of Moher....

http://www.travlang.com/blog/the-cliffs-of-moher-the-most-outstanding-coastal-features/

Wade in the ocean at Ballybunion beach (but find another town to stay the night in)

http://www.irelands-directory.com/photos.php?Image=5

I second Doolin and the Cliff of Mohar. I went for 10 days with my mom and sister and a small senior tour group led by my mom's best friend when I was 26 and my sister was 19, back in 1999.

We did a musical pub tour in Dublin that was the highlight of the trip for me. A couple of musicians took us from pub to pub, played music and told stories. The "adults" in our group bowed out around 9 or 10, but my sister and I stuck with it the whole night, awesome night.

When in Dublin we actually stay in the dormitory at Trinity College (it was during the summer - school break), don't know if that's still an option, or if it's only for groups, but something to look into - it's one of the few places that actually had hot water and water pressure in the showers. (especially B&Bs - which more often then not was someone's house with an extra bedroom).

We traveled by train most of the time while we were there.

Advice - if you do happen to get to the Blarney stone - don't actually kiss it, it's a local joke to watch tourists do this and it's supposedly very disgusting and germ ridden.

Doolin was my favorite place - it's right on the west coast across from the Aran Island - that is were I would retire if I was rich. Just small, beautiful and romantic. Best to have a car there though - the walking!!

If you get to Killarney - I recommend Hotel Dunloe Castle!!!!!!!! You don't actually stay in the castle - the ruins are out back (with open access) - but it's a 5 star hotel (in my opinion) and beautiful! I woke up earlier than anyone, just to explore, take pictures and sit down and draw. The price is expensive now - but totally worth and I would go back - even just a night or two. Only other place we stayed with decent showers.

I wouldn't do both Ireland and Scotland in the same trip. You could easily spend a week in each place, and the trip will be more relaxing if you pick one or the other.

I had a trip to Ireland planned for this fall that got scrapped two months ago. :glare: We had planned to spend the entire week in Dublin and take three day trips out to Newgrange and Powerscourt and Glendalough.

In general, I agree that spending some of your time in a smaller town or village would be good.

I studied for a semester in Scotland (Stirling) and rode my bike through the Irish countryside for 5 weeks (I think!) and visited there several times. I completely agree with the other posters about city vs. countryside. If you only have a week, I'd completely skip Dublin and Edinburgh. They are both great cities, but don't even touch the beauty of the country, and I don't think you get a flavor for the people as well. Go to the more remote areas.

Scotland is the most beautiful country I've ever visited (I've been to most of western Europe) and you should go the Highlands, and if you have time - the closer Islands like Skye. It feels like another world.

In both countries it would be so cool to go to the Gaeltacht (sp?) which are the Gaelic-speaking areas. Learning Irish is on the rise in Ireland, which is pretty cool.

Congrats and have a wonderful time. I'm so jealous! Those are my two favorite countries ever! And be sure and catch local music in the pubs in a small town! Go to Doolin in Ireland.

Hello there. I don't know much about Ireland - I spent a week in the countryside there, which was lovely, but haven't visited Dublin.

Thoughts about Edinburgh. For the city itself, don't rent a car: most of the places you will want to visit are walkable - whatever isn't can be reached by a normal local bus or taxi. Parking can be difficult and expensive and I think you will see much more if you just walk.

I would plan on a day or two in Edinburgh and then getting out of town. Edinburgh is a fair way from the Highlands, but you could drive to Glen Clova, for example, in about two hours. Think about what you want to concentrate on: scenery, history, culture.....

Think also about when you want to come: August is extremely busy in Edinburgh every year, due to the arts festival, and accommodation is expensive at that time. If you are going to the Highlands, then May is a good month, as the midges don't usually emerge until the end of May or June. Midges are not a problem if you are sticking to Edinburgh/southern Scotland.

I haven't lived here that long, but do ask if you have more specific questions.

Laura

Thanks for the advice! But what in the world are "midges?"

This was our original plan - but what we found in rural Ireland is that in the small towns, they stopped serving food around 4 PM and most of the B&Bs had filled their rooms by very early afternoon - so when we got off the road somewhere at 5 pm, we had a hard time finding a room, and an even harder time finding something to eat. That's why our daily routine became: depart area after breakfast at B&B, drive until lunchtime, then stop, find a room, eat a large lunch, then see the sights in town and secure some portable snacky stuff for evening, and spend the evening seeing whatever is still open and enjoying the local pubs.

Great idea!

I started to reply to everyone individually but instead I'll just say thank you to everyone who has taken the time to respond! I've gotten some great ideas and now I'm even more excited than before.

Also, I know I said in my original post that I would spend x-days in Edinburgh and x-days Dublin, but what I meant was that I would use those cities as home bases or jumping off points and would spend the other days exploring the countries (which is why I'd rent cars).

At this point I'm thinking I should pick one country and stay there, but I don't know which one! I've always been drawn to Scotland for no particular reason at all, but I've heard such amazing things about Ireland that it might be the place to do.

So....if you were going to pick just one, would it be Scotland or Ireland?