Menu

When you do K12 Human Odyssey.....

dancer67

Do you just have your child read the book?

We just got this today from a friend, and my daughter loves it. BUT, she says "I am not interested in doing any student pages or workbook pages, I just want to read the book."

Hmmm.....

How do you do HO with your child?

(FTR, I do have student pages in my cart in case we decide to use this, but now I am not sure)

:bigear:

I'm sure my ds would love to just read it, too, but I have to make sure he's understanding what he's read; also, I think he will enjoy it even more if I add in some fun activities to go with it.

Admittedly, I bought books 1 and 2 (planning a bit for next year) with student and teacher guides but I haven't had a chance to even look at them yet. So I'm all ears to hear what others with K12 HO experience have to say! I'm hoping the student and teacher guides have some of these fun activities/ideas in them.

Pam

:bigear:

Admittedly, I bought books 1 and 2 (planning a bit for next year) with student and teacher guides but I haven't had a chance to even look at them yet.

Where did you find the student and teacher guides? I can't figure out the K12 website...I didn't see the guides there. I ended up buying the textbook (Human Odyssey Vol 2) used from Amazon.

Sorry to hijack the thread here. I'm also interested in how people use this without the guides!

:lurk5:

The book is very meaty. A child may read and understand every word, but she will get much more out of it by using the material -- answering questions, filling out maps, etc. I highly recommend the Student Pages (worktext) that K12 publishes for the history course. The questions may not always be fun, but they really make the student think and learn the material.

If you don't use the worktext, you may want to make reading assignments and then discuss the material in-depth with her.

I've been going through the HO text (we're using vol 1 this year) and the teacher guide since they arrived last week. I'm having a hard time figuring out what to do. Since this is our first year homeschooling, I need some curricular handholding :lol: I don't have the student guide where all the maps and stuff are, so I'm trying to figure out how to recreate those pages OR try to track down a student guide.

My dd is only 10. She's academically gifted but she still has a 10 year old's need to be hands on/crafty/creative. I've found a few books and resources that I can use to supplement HO in THAT way. At least I hope so! I'm waiting for requested books to get to my library!

The book is very meaty. A child may read and understand every word, but she will get much more out of it by using the material -- answering questions, filling out maps, etc. I highly recommend the Student Pages (worktext) that K12 publishes for the history course. The questions may not always be fun, but they really make the student think and learn the material.

If you don't use the worktext, you may want to make reading assignments and then discuss the material in-depth with her.

I used vol. 1 last year with DD then in 7th grade. I had her read, outline, then summarize from her outline. I previewed the reading and later discussed the reading, but thought we could have done more. :iagree: with Rebecca. Your child's learning experience would probably be better if you had the TE & Student Pages. I bought both for vol.2. Reviewing the TE and & Student Pages for vol. 2 I see how I can tailor these two resources to me our home school needs.

I've been going through the HO text (we're using vol 1 this year) and the teacher guide since they arrived last week. I'm having a hard time figuring out what to do. Since this is our first year homeschooling, I need some curricular handholding :lol: I don't have the student guide where all the maps and stuff are, so I'm trying to figure out how to recreate those pages OR try to track down a student guide.

IMO, the TE and Student Pages go together. Even with these two parts, you will be missing the third part which is online.

My dd is only 10. She's academically gifted but she still has a 10 year old's need to be hands on/crafty/creative. I've found a few books and resources that I can use to supplement HO in THAT way. At least I hope so! I'm waiting for requested books to get to my library!

You definitely, definitely need the student pages. All of the instruction for how to outline, how to write a summary, the essay questions are in the student manual. For example, in the student manual the student creates a chart comparing aspects of the four major river civilizations. Later, this chart is used to write a compare/contrast essay on the 4 major river civilizations. None of this is in the teacher's manual except to tell you which pages to find the various items required in the student manual and what pages the student should read in the text.

I think if you're not using the student pages, be sure to have the student discuss, narrate, outline, and write about what she is reading using SWB's guidelines for Logic stage history.

oh okay. Thought maybe the student pages/questions would be in color.

Do any of you add literature? Or use lapbooks or History pockets?

I read the book aloud, since my younger dd is coming along for the ride. I have the older two (12) do selected pages teacher/student guides. I also have them do lots of added reading - historical fiction, biographies, and other non-fiction. But I've been known to be a bit overzealous in our history studies. :tongue_smilie: However, I am positively allergic to things like lapbooks or history pockets. I'd think a middle schooler would be a bit past cutting and pasting activities anyway.

I do feel that it's time they had some output for history - up till this year I did just have them read, watch videos, go on field trips, etc. Now that they're middle school aged, I thought it was important I start to require some output.

AARRGH snooze you lose...... I had the K12 Intermediate Course B teacher and student pages in my cart .... now they've all been sold. AARRGHHH. Luckily I won't need them for a year, but now I'll have to check periodically for one to come up. That's the second time there has been a run on something on the used market due to chatter about it here at WTM> :lol:

I didn't do the workpages for a couple of reasons. First is that I couldn't snag any on Ebay. :( It worked out ok anyway because the girls love the text and I think adding worksheets might ruin that. I do add in videos from Unitedstreaming, unit studies, and literature.

That's what we did, except I read the book to him.

I liked reading the book aloud and having my son do supplemental reading (usually historical fiction) on his own. Instead of the student pages from K12 (I've never seen them), I had him write reports/essays on the material. I should have had him do a timeline and mapwork, but I didn't.

That's what we did, except I read the book to him.

I liked reading the book aloud and having my son do supplemental reading (usually historical fiction) on his own. Instead of the student pages from K12 (I've never seen them), I had him write reports/essays on the material. I should have had him do a timeline and mapwork, but I didn't.

I forgot to add that I'm also having them do a timeline. I'm having them decide what to put on it, and they have to research it enough to find pictures for timeline figures online, and include dates. This is also the first time we've done a timeline for history.

Don't you have to sign up for a year of K12 to get the benifit of the TM and student pages? Anyone know if the $99 price tag for the book includes the TM and student or is that just the book?

https://ecomm.k12.com/ecommerce/public/itemDetails.xhtml?cid=566167

No, there is plenty to do in the student/teacher pages without signing up for the course. It does reference some online material, but there's still plenty in the books.

I have no idea if the book directly from K12 includes the pages - I bought everything used on Amazon.

At this level, there is much less of the online component. I do believe the $99 includes the TM and student pages. I noticed that K12 no longer only sells the Human Odyssey books for $65 and $75 (Books 2 and 3) but only have the $99 version. My friend just bought both levels of the $99 version which she said includes the teacher and student guides.

Okey dokey, I'll share in a separate thread later on today or tonight :) Today I get to track down textbooks for my two highschoolers <pulling hair out>

Since you have the student pages, do you think it's "worth" spending $40ish????? I got the text and the teacher's guide for less than $20 each but there aren't many used student pages out there. Bleh. Dh would just say to buy it..... I'm getting to the point that my time is worth more than that cost!

Definitely get the student pages. That's where the meat is. There were so many of those before we all starting talking about them here lol. I started a thread about K12 HUman odyssey book and before I made my mind up to buy them, everyone else bought all the good used ones so I had to buy them new from K12. :lol: SO I was going to buy the teacher and student guides for Course B ie Vol2 and forgot to hit buy at AMazon and now all of those are gone. I think I got a vol2 student pages but there are no teacher's guides to be found. And you can't buy them from K12 w/out paying $99 to get the textbook as well. I suppose I could resell those. Luckily, I want need those for a year so hopefully someone will sell theirs off next year.

You convinced me. Just ordered the $40 teacher + student combo. Since I already have the blasted teacher guide I will have to resell it.... The other option was student only for $47.77! Yowzer!

I was going to wait but I was afraid that the student pages would disappear like your B/vol 2 books. That would be Not Good :lol:

I checked both and they all appear to be for Course A or the book is not listed as A or B. I tried emailing the seller and got the standard...once we catalogue the book, there is no way to go and find it to see any specific info on it. But hello, you have to find it to ship it????:confused:

I checked both and they all appear to be for Course A or the book is not listed as A or B. I tried emailing the seller and got the standard...once we catalogue the book, there is no way to go and find it to see any specific info on it. But hello, you have to find it to ship it????:confused:

Do they provide the ISBN (do those even *have* ISBNs)?

Okey dokey, I'll share in a separate thread later on today or tonight :)

That would be great. I had to hit an icon above because my wireless keyboard ran out of batteries and I had to scrounge some...the joys of advances in technology! I have some books and things mapped out for vol. 1, but need to get it sneakernetted (as my husband calls it---using a thumbdrive :)) from the laptop to the desktop and that will have to wait until either late tonight or tomorrow.

I think the best use of these books is as a spine: read, outline (or do another form of note taking), put info up on a timeline, discuss, and then research. The book is a fabulous springboard for further reading and research,....

I'm so glad you posted, Eliana. I really like the way the historical periods are laid out in HO within some big, underlying themes (Age of Exploration & Discovery, Scientific Revolution, Enlightenment, Age of Democratic & Industrial Revolution...) to tie things together. I was having trouble getting the big picture with straight Kingfisher Encyclopedia or even just SOTW 3. I had a bunch of facts, people, places, and dates, but nothing to weave it all together. I imagine my children would feel that they had a bunch of random people and events, too.

Human Odyssey does look like it would be a great resource to outline, as per Susan's suggestions in wtm. (I started outlining it myself to be sure.) The siren call of the TM & Student Pages with all the neatly laid out lessons was pulling me. I'm glad to hear that you think it can be done as effectively and more simply using Susan's suggestions.

Could I ask.... What is the youngest age you've used K12's Human Odyssey with?

And did you notice an increase in difficulty between Vol 1 & Vol 2?

I think my rising 5th graders will be ok, esp. with my involvement in the beginning weeks, but I was wondering how it's gone over with other 5th graders? (We'll be doing Vol. 2, just because that's where we are in the history cycle.)

There is a Yahoo group for selling and buying K12 materials - a good potential source for texts and teacher & student materials.

Unfortunately, the K12 Used Materials yahoo group just posted that they are no longer along FS posts of Teacher Manuals or Student Pages because K12 has told them that it is against K12's contract/policy. :( I still see them on ebay & amazon, though.

Thanks for any thoughts on using Vol.2 with 5th graders!

yvonne

I disagree - very strongly.

Some of the questions in the student materials are interesting and add value, but to make the pages the focus runs the risk of turning a worthwhile resource into busywork and/or surface learning.

I think the best use of these books is as a spine: read, outline (or do another form of note taking), put info up on a timeline, discuss, and then research. The book is a fabulous springboard for further reading and research, but to make it the focal point of neverending little writing assignments - most of which can be easily answered by summarizing sections of the text - would be a horrible waste.

If you can pick up the student pages cheaply, it can be worthwhile to use a few of the questions/writing assignments, but Susan's approach makes more sense to me - and our own approach, which involved more depth, and fewer, longer writing assignments has been the best fit for my kids. Your mileage may, of course, vary. (And I saw no value in the teacher's materials, for me... though now I wish I had saved them to pass on to someone else! Unfortunately they were recycled or donated to Goodwill some time ago...)

There is a Yahoo group for selling and buying K12 materials - a good potential source for texts and teacher & student materials.

:iagree:

I disagree - very strongly.

Some of the questions in the student materials are interesting and add value, but to make the pages the focus runs the risk of turning a worthwhile resource into busywork and/or surface learning.

Actually, what I meant was that since she already had the teacher book, she absolutely needed the student book. There isn't much in the teacher book from what I recall, granted it was a quick run through, besides telling you what to find where. The questions and guides were all in the student manual. I did not say or mean to imply the student pages were the focus....just that from my first glance, I don't think the teacher's manual is of any use w/out the student pages. I bought the teacher's manual first and was left scratching my head until I received the student manual and it made sense.

I stated above that I thought SWB's method would be sufficient, read, narrate, discuss. I'm using the teacher/student manuals exactly as you described....supplement to WTM-ish logic stage history.

Here's my post from above:

"You definitely, definitely need the student pages. All of the instruction for how to outline, how to write a summary, the essay questions are in the student manual. For example, in the student manual the student creates a chart comparing aspects of the four major river civilizations. Later, this chart is used to write a compare/contrast essay on the 4 major river civilizations. None of this is in the teacher's manual except to tell you which pages to find the various items required in the student manual and what pages the student should read in the text.

I think if you're not using the student pages, be sure to have the student discuss, narrate, outline, and write about what she is reading using SWB's guidelines for Logic stage history."

Today, my project is to read through the teacher and student guide to discern how much of it I am going to use but even if I use a fourth of it for the good questions only, the $15 I paid for it will have been worth it.

Edited by Capt_Uhura

SO I was going to buy the teacher and student guides for Course B ie Vol2 and forgot to hit buy at AMazon and now all of those are gone. I think I got a vol2 student pages but there are no teacher's guides to be found. And you can't buy them from K12 w/out paying $99 to get the textbook as well. I suppose I could resell those. Luckily, I want need those for a year so hopefully someone will sell theirs off next year.

When I went out to the k12 site, the description of vol. 2 doesn't say that it includes the teacher/student pages. Is there somewhere else this is indicated, do you have to ask for them, or is it a situation of buying the textbook for $99 then paying an additional fee for the teacher/student pages from them? I'm going to keep looking for used for vol. 2 (book as well as teacher/student pages) but may end up having to order them next year.

Wonder if they will make their American Odyssey available at some point? I'm not sure what course this goes with, however---must be a high school one as they still list the Hakim for middle school.

Edited by KarenNC

KarenNC - my friend ordered the $99 package for both VOl1 and Vol2. They should be delivered today. I will post back about what she received. WHen I first checked into it, the $99 included the textbook and any teacher/student materials used with it. They used to spell that out but the website has changed from 4 months ago when I was researching this.

I too prefer fewer but more meaningful writing assignments. Until now ALL of our history has been reading and oral discussion with no writing. But I feel now is the time for my 5th grader to start writing in content areas such as history. I think writing some short narrations and a few longer essays will benefit him. For more, did you read and understand that, we will continue to do it orally.

I think the HO book works well w/ WTM logic history. I just want something to fall back on for those good, thinking questions that I might not come up with myself.

KarenNC - my friend ordered the $99 package for both VOl1 and Vol2. They should be delivered today. I will post back about what she received. WHen I first checked into it, the $99 included the textbook and any teacher/student materials used with it. They used to spell that out but the website has changed from 4 months ago when I was researching this.

Thanks! Now I need to get through prehistory and hominid evolution this summer so that I can start with vol. 1:).

That's quite alright. There are so many interesting threads going right now and I'm in the midst of planning that I too am on information overload.

I'm glad I had the chance to clarify so that someone else isn't misled down the wrong path of buying something she may not need. :001_smile:

• 4 weeks later...
Hi,

Would someone who has recently purchased new materials directly from K12 mind sharing what the actual price is for the HO vol 1 text, student pages, and teacher guide?

Thanks!

Melissa

I believe it is regularly $99 and 15% off if you have a student enrolled in OLS through the end of the month.

You can only get the American Odyssey through the academy.

Edited by melmichigan

I plan on reading ahead of dd and jotting down any discussion points and maybe a few comprehension questions I want to do after she reads. She's sitting in on the SOTW activities and maps with her younger sisters, so I don't feel a need to schedule additional activities just for her. I will have her outline from the Usborne encyclopedia and put dates on her timeline, though.

You can purchase the Teacher and STudent guides for K12 Human Odyssey 1 and 2 used through AMazon Marketplace and others like Biblio.com and ebay. At one point, there were none available b/c everyone at WTM board bought them. Recently, I've seen more available. You can purchase them through K12. As per K12 instructions, you buy the course for $120 which includes online access, teacher and student guides and HO text. If you cancel w/in the first month, they refund you the $20 for the course, and for the remaining $100 you get to keep the text, teacher and student guides. If you order online through the K12 store w/out signing up for the course, they charge you $99+shipping and you only receive the Text and NOT the teacher and student guide. Clear as mud?

Capt_Uhura

That's a good question. You definitely need the student pages. The teacher pages? well, in the limited reading I did of both of them, there were a few odd pages that the student needed but were found in the teacher's manual. I hope someone else can chime in. I've packed my house and the movers are coming at 8am so I can't get to my books to give you a more definitive answer. Sorry.

Capt_Uhura

Personally, I wouldn't have wanted to grade the student pages without the teacher's guide. It would have defeated a lot of my purpose in using them, which was to make my life easier. I used the teacher's guide as an answer key.

SBP

Edited by SBP