Menu

If you could move anywhere on the EAST coast, where would be and why?

So, we live in NW AL, where the humidity is AWFUL and the mold is making J sick. We have family in W.Va and have thought about moving back "home", but honestly are not certain about it.

I LOVE the beach, DH needs the mountains.

I am a city girl, DH a "country bumpkin".

All of our family is on the East coast, so moving west is not an option.

We want a state that has minimal homeschooling laws, but will be much nicer on J's respiratory system.

Is there even such a place? :001_huh:

the further south you go, the more humidity you're going to deal with. How about Maine? We LOVE Maine. We'd never sell our house and move there, but we absolutely LOVE it. We're currently in NH. Don't ask me about heat and humidity today. NOT GOOD.

:grouphug: The heat up there is TORTURE right now! We deal with similar heat/humidity similar to this all summer. See why we want to move ;)

I have visited Maine as a child before and fell in love with it. DH has never been, be he says it is too cold in the winter. :tongue_smilie: Um, I don't think DH is remebering some of our winters in W.Va.

So, we live in NW AL, where the humidity is AWFUL and the mold is making J sick. We have family in W.Va and have thought about moving back "home", but honestly are not certain about it.

I LOVE the beach, DH needs the mountains.

I am a city girl, DH a "country bumpkin".

All of our family is on the East coast, so moving west is not an option.

We want a state that has minimal homeschooling laws, but will be much nicer on J's respiratory system.

Is there even such a place? :001_huh:

We used to live in Delaware which is very homeschool friendly. We were within a few hours drive of Rehobeth Beach, Philly, Baltimore, D.C and the Poconos. I can't say that DE is good for respiratory issues however. It would get very humid and hot there. The one year it was 105 degrees and very humid.

I'm in NJ. We have both beaches and mountains - all within a 2-3 hour drive. We also have cities and rural/farm areas (also all within a 2-3 hour drive).

Our homeschooling laws are very easy - I don't have to notify anyone that I'm homeschooling, there's no reporting, testing or portfolio.

NJ is a high COL area but the jobs also tend to pay better than a lot of other places. Normally our weather is pretty mild - normal high temperatures in the Summer are high 70's/low 80's, normal lows in Winter are high 20's to low 40's. Today is a bit exceptional in that it is hitting 90 degrees already at 10:50 am - they are calling it record highs.

I have a ton of allergies including molds, mildews, ragweed, hayfever, trees, grasses....and allergy induced asthma. I only have a problem once or twice a year where I have to use my inhaler.

The homeschooling laws here are minimal. We have very little to do and am not responsible to the public education board. We are considered a private school. As for the state we have some great beaches on wonderful mountains all within easy driving distance. I live near Fayetteville which is a military town. There are many towns that are small but close to big cities. I lived in Wilson for many years and Raleigh was only an hr away. Where I live know is pretty built up but we live 15 mins away from it so we get benefit of both. If you live in central NC the beaches would be about 2 hrs away and the mountains would be about 4 hrs away so you could do it in a day. The weather here is normally moderate. We usually don't get a lot of humidity until August or September. The winters are moderate. We might get one snow a year and not much at that. Now this year has been different but it has been for the whole east coast as you probably already know.

I'm originally from Delaware and I second it being a great place! Perfect location, nearby beach, nice state.

However, ANYWHERE you go on the east coast will bring you humidity, mold and allergies. I moved out west and LOVE it here! NO humidity unless it's pouring down rain. No ticks, no fleas....hardly any bugs at all, really, compared to what I was used to back home. We do have some seasonal allergies, but they're very managable. I hardly ever hear of anyone having mold problems in their homes. If they do, it makes the news because it's so rare, and it's usually due to some sort of construction flaw or flukey problem, like building your home to close to the water table or something like that.

So, depending on how sick your child is.....you might not want to discount the western half of our country. It might make a huge difference in his quality of life.

Diane W.

married for 22 years

homeschooling 3 kiddos for 16 years

I second Maine. You would have the Longfellow Mountains at the end of the Appalachian chain and though not dramatically tall mountains, they are very pretty and there is skiing, hiking, etc. typical Mountain Range fun and you have one of the most beautiful coastlines anywhere. When I was in elementary school, my parents took us on a tour of Maine. We were supposed to take two days getting there and two days home with only five days in the state. But, it was so unbelievably wonderful that we stayed three weeks. (Those were the days....my parents called the school and told them we'd be missing the first week and a half. The principal said fine, it was all review and we were good students, so no biggie! I never made up a single assignment.)

Our favorite place was Boothbay Harbor. At that time, it was a sleepy fishing village, very quaint, and with a hint of tourism but nothing big back then. We had just pulled in on the last day of the Tuna fishing contest and have a picture of my brother with the winning tuna and fisherman. Everyone was so welcoming...it was as if we'd always lived there. We walked the beaches, picked up shells, captured starfish and then let them go once we'd examined them, discovered that sea urchins spikes really do hurt and aren't much like grass stems at all, walked the village, sat in the park eating meals and talking to everyone, had the best seafood ever, and spent an evening at the pavilion listening to the community band play patriotic songs. My parents always said that if they decided to move, that is where they would go.

Bar Habor was bigger and there was more tourism there...not quite as friendly. But, certainly not in anyway unfriendly.

I don't think homeschooling in Maine is very difficult. You can check the HSLDA website but I don't think I've heard any complaints on this board.

If you live closer to the ocean, the winters will be more temperate than inland.

Faith

Bar Harbor, we stayed there one summer. :)

We grew up in Morgantown, W.Va-home of the WVU Mountaineers. Um, moving to NJ just would not be an option ;)

NC has been on our minds, espeically coastal living. More for me and my water baby than DH though.

DH's sister lives in Maryland, the bay area, and she is dealing with A LOT of respiratory problems.

The area in W.Va we have looked at is Martinsburg. Close to DC, the bay, and the mountains. Sounds perfect until you think about all the allergens.

DH's parents are much older, we want to be closer to them. As is, they have never traveled here. We have to travel there to see them, so this means J gets to see them *maybe* twice a year. So, if we moved out West, EEK!

We go for allergy testing tommrow, we shall see what exactly we are dealing with. We know mold is a problem, but what else is causing him to be so sick.

If I had to absolutely live on the East coast, it would Maine hands down. Lots of woods, lakes, ocean. Close to Boston and NY is possible too. I would go for north of Portland as the lower coast is a little too close to Boston for me. Lots of wildlife, northern lights, clean air, but cold. It can get stinking cold in Maine, the ocean keeps the coast warmer.

Maine is about the only other state I could live in.

I'm with your dh on the Maine winters. Of course, I thought winters in Alabama were too cold, which is why I now live in FL. :tongue_smilie:

If you wanted to live in a warmer climate and still have the lower humidity, you could go somewhere actually ON the coast. NC has some very nice coastal areas, and still near mountains. We're also big fans of Savannah, GA. It is on our short list of places to move if we ever manage to sell our house.

The area in W.Va we have looked at is Martinsburg. Close to DC, the bay, and the mountains. Sounds perfect until you think about all the allergens.

I lived in Martinsburg for a year. It's a beautiful area and convenient to DC. I was single and found it a little boring. Maybe there's more to do there now.

The schools had a terrible reputation.

I really loved Shepherdstown and think it would be a great place to live.

I lived in Martinsburg for a year. It's a beautiful area and convenient to DC. I was single and found it a little boring. Maybe there's more to do there now.

The schools had a terrible reputation.

I really loved Shepherdstown and think it would be a great place to live.

Shepardstown is really nice as well :) I agree, SO convenient to DC which is where I dream of living.

Well, you said anywhere:

I would move to the Outer Banks in North Carolina. :auto:

Oh, you say, but making a living is nice too.......then I would move to Cary, N.C.:auto:

Outerbanks is one of my favorite places to visit, would love to live there.

DH has a job that as long as there is an opening, we can go almost anywhere :)

Maine would be a good 2 day drive to family. Although it does sound perfect!

We're in the seacoast region of NH.....25 min. to the ocean (Maine/New Hampshire beaches), 25 min. to the Lakes' region and about 25-50 min. to mountains. We live in the tri-city area, and there are lots of retail/ dining options, yet lots for those who want the country feel. Most development in the outlying towns have zones new construction in lot sizes of not less than 2 acres. We *definitely* have four seasons, and each is beautiful.

New Hampshire wasn't even on our radar when we were looking to move to New England, but I'm SOO glad God planted us here.

Now, homeschooling laws....HSLDA has upgraded us to their Red Zone because of the recent attacks on our homeschooling law. This past year, however, I used a private school to report to, and they are **very** homeschool friendly, and I feel very safe from interference. There's an active core of about 200-ish people across the state who are good at mobilizing to fight for our freedom, and I think that this election cycle will prove good for homeschoolers.

I would move to or near coastal MA if I could afford to live there (cost of living, house prices, and job availability issues) AND if someone could fix that pesky problem of cold, snowy, long winters.

Reasons to move there for a city person:

1. The Red Sox are there and you don't have to pay Direct TV in order to watch the games on t.v.

2. Summer weather is wonderful. Fall is beautiful. Winter lasts, IMO as a Southerner, from Nov-April, though. I lived near Boston for 21 years and never experienced personally an earthquake, tornado, hurricane, or any life-threatening weather. As a Southerner, I rarely noticed high humidity or many hot summer days, when everyone else around me did. (PA is a lot more hot and humid than MA -- I sure notice it here, especially since we don't have a/c.)

3. Beaches *and* mountains are nearby, for day trips or longer vacations.

4. Lots to do for all ages in Boston and in towns located on or near the coastline. Plenty of cultural places to go, like museums, performances of symphonies, and so forth. Fun places to go in western Mass, Maine, Vermont, and New Hampshire are within easy driving distance.

5. Great library systems in eastern MA.

6. The population is generally healthy and well-educated. MA usually ranks at the top of the lists for these factors. (I took this for granted until I moved out of state.)

If you want to live in a rural area, there are plenty of them in New England and most places in New England will take you less than a day to drive to. There are tons of wonderful places to visit in New England.

Edited by RoughCollie

CT is beautiful with lots of farms and small-town NE charm. Depending on where you live, it's almost equidistant from NYC and Boston. Little to no homeschooling hassle and lots of groups and activities. BUT - and this is a big BUT - we have lots of seasonal allergens. My daughter really suffers. Also, it can be incredibly humid, like... right now, for instance. :tongue_smilie:

Well, there is definitely heat and humidity there but... I lived in the Maryland suburbs of DC until I moved for school. We could be at our cabin in the mountains of WVa in 3 hours or on the beach in 3 hours. There is a lot of do, being so close to DC. And if you look in the southern part of the state (Charles, St. Marys and Calvert counties) there are some places that are very affordable and "out in the country" but still close enough to larger towns/cities to be convenient.

J's allergy testing showed allergies to multiple types of grasses (BlueGrass and Johnson being the worst, followed VERY closely by Bermuda and some others) and BlackWalnut and the Cottonwood Tree. Also has allergies to five different types of molds-UGH!

So definatly, when we can move, we need to find somewhere that does *not* have those things.

I should just have DH brainwashed into thinking an apartment in the heart of DC is the best place for us. lol.

Come live up here with me. Aroostook County Maine.

Yes, it was hot and humid for a week, but it only lasted a week instead of from March to October like in Alabama. Our leaves will start to turn in 4-5 weeks. It is 75* right now.

It doesn't usually get *really* hot until July thankfully. March is still spring weather for us, but that can mean 75 degree days. March brings *lovely* weather like tornadoes :glare:

We can usually open up our windows starting in March and leave them open until the end of May. Then again starting in September and then until Novemeber. Now with J's allergies, we are not certain if we will get to have fresh air in here ever again. :(

Maine does sound perfect, but it would be a 2 day drive for us to W.Va. DH's parents do not drive long distances, they are much older than the "average" parent to a 30yr old and they have the health problems that go along with old age/being a coal miner most of FIL's early adult life.

Why can't this be easier?

• 2 weeks later...

but my adopted state of Va. is amazing. I'd move to Fredericksburg if something happened to my husband, since we live in the country now,and I'd prefer gentle city surrounding. Fredericksburg is just right!

Well, you said anywhere:

I would move to the Outer Banks in North Carolina. :auto:

Oh, you say, but making a living is nice too.......then I would move to Cary, N.C.:auto:

No - not Cary - its way too hot here! I'd rather be back on the coast of Florida where its actually cooler!