Menu

Sweet Tea...

So how much sugar do you put in a gallon of tea?

I live in the south and you must have sweet tea here. You can barely get unsweet!

I love sweet tea but, goodness mercy, I have had some tea that tastes like liquid sugar!

So...how much?

ETA:

I use 1 cup per gallon...working on getting it lower...

I live in the south and you must have sweet tea here. You can barely get unsweet!

I love sweet tea but, goodness mercy, I have had some tea that tastes like liquid sugar!

So...how much?

ETA:

Southern girl here who cannot abide by sugar in her tea. Weird I know. I would rather do without than have it tainted with sugar. Only one of my friends likes it unsweet too....at big gatherings there is tea and then there is 'Scarlett and Bob's tea.' :D

I personally love unsweet tea but I also like lightly sweet tea. I will use about 2/3 cup for a gallon when making for company. My mother, on the other hand, likes a little tea with her sugar and uses 2 cups for a gallon.

When I get tea out, I just can't do soda :ack2:, I will ask for 1/2 sweet, 1/2 unsweet. It is usually perfect.

To ksva:

You know it's funny, I like it this sweet when it's just made--but after sitting in the fridge overnight, it DOES taste like syrup.;)

I eat chocolate syrup on pancakes.:D Another southern thing I guess(maybe not southern, maybe family). My grandmother started me on that very young. Two of my kids do this now.

Um, sorry Pretty in Pink, but in South Carolina, 1 cup sugar to a gallon IS stingy!!;)

We use 2 c. sugar to a gallon of tea, brewed on the stove like Granny did.

My kids all moan when we cross the Mason-Dixon or the Mississippi. "Great. We can't even get sweet tea on vacation."

Dh and Ds like it sweet. They usually put 2 cups in a gallon. If I make it I put in 1 cup. To me they like a little tea with a lot of sugar. I grew up with parents from the midwest so we always had unsweet tea which I can't stand now. Starting drinking sweet tea when I met Dh and now can't drink anything else. Dh will drink unsweet tea if all they have and adds in several packets of sugar. I can't do that because the sugar never seems to mix with the tea so I'm drinking unsweet until I get to the bottom and then I'm drinking sugar.

So...how much?

ETA:

I like some sugar, If I'm drinking tea, but I don't want to drink syrup! I think my mom puts about 1/2 cup or so, but her tea isn't quite sweet enough. It MUST have some sugar; otherwise, I'd rather just have water.

Ya'll ain't drinking sweet tea with that little sugar.;)

I grew up in Georgia, we like our tea sweet. I use 3 to 3 1/2 cups of sugar. Only Luzianne tea. I think it depends on how strong the tea is too. I use 4 family bags with 6 cups of water in the teapot.

That's exactly what I was thinking. :001_smile:

We don't make it by the gallon. We make 2 quarts, which I suppose is a half gallon and put in 1 cup of sugar...like Kool-Aid :001_smile:

I don't like iced tea, but when I make it for my family, I use 3/4 cup of sugar for a gallon. I used to use a whole cup, but I've cut it down and they're not complaining, so...

Except for the not liking iced tea bit, this is what I did exactly. No one can tell around here.

Ya'll ain't drinking sweet tea with that little sugar.;)

I grew up in Georgia, we like our tea sweet. I use 3 to 3 1/2 cups of sugar. Only Luzianne tea. I think it depends on how strong the tea is too. I use 4 family bags with 6 cups of water in the teapot.

:eek:

I don't brew for very long, though. 4 family bags for 3-5 minutes. I've attempted sun tea (my favorite), but I always forget about it.

Lately, I've switched to iced green tea. i can use much less sugar and add a little orange to it.

about 2 cups to a gallon

I had been making it by the 1/2 gallon then went to a family function. Once there I was asked if I could make the tea. A 1/2 gallon of unsweet and a gallon of sweet.

Sure no problem. Made unsweet, fine. Got to talking while I added the sugar to the sweet. Forgot I was making a gallon. Added 1 cup sugar. My family likes it 2 cups per gallon.

No one said anything except ds.

He took a drink and said "mama I wanted the sweet tea".

me- that is sweet tea

ds- no it isn't

me after taking a drink -- :blushing: "hey everybody, I'm sorry I messed up the tea"

Guest aloysiuscarl

My wife and I drink lots of sweet tea...and realized, paying nearly $4 a jug for it is too expensive...we were surprised to find a mr. coffee tea brewer for $20.00, so we bought it. The important key is to add the sugar immediately after brewing, while the tea is still hot. Some people like it sickeningly sweet, others just like a small amount of sugar. Some people use artificial sweeteners instead of sugar.