Menu

Do you think my rec center's policy is reasonable or not?

1. 1. Do you think my rec center's policy is reasonable or not?

• Yes
    • No
    • Other

My kids participate in a track program that is 2 hours long, 3 x's a week for 2 months. 90% of the parents drop their kids off and pick them up from outside the school. The rec center has no formal way of keeping track of parents' cell numbers. I have noticed that bleeding children were not given medical care (Band-Aids or gauze), so I started bringing my own first aid kit. Today a 6 yo girl was seriously injured and I saw a teen coach walking around asking for tissues or wet wipes. I saw a woman take a tissue out of her pocket and give it to the teen coach. I came over with my kit. The teen coach was telling me that she was not legally allowed to put pressure on a bleeding wound and certainly could not put a Band-Aid on it! :confused:

I called the head coach and the director of youth sports and both told me that even though all the coaches are first aid trained they are only allowed to give CPR or apply pressure to a gushing wound due to liability.

Is this reasonable?

It may seem "reasonable" to them in light of their liability concerns. However, as a parent, I would hold them more liable for not notifying me of this policy. If all the parents are aware that their children will not be treated, even with a bandaid! if they are not present, and that their cell number may not be easy to locate, then they have covered their bases, although absurd. If not, I think they should be more worried about being sued over *not* treating an injured child, by parents who have no idea bandaids require parental consent!

No, it's not reasonable, but it's probably not their choice, due to lawsuits and liability. One reason why we ask parents to stay on site during lessons in our music program is that if a child falls and skins a knee in movement activities in group class, we can hand a parent the screaming child and a first aid kit and let THEM decide whether or not to use Neosporin.

It may seem "reasonable" to them in light of their liability concerns. However, as a parent, I would hold them more liable for not notifying me of this policy. If all the parents are aware that their children will not be treated, even with a bandaid! if they are not present, and that their cell number may not be easy to locate, then they have covered their bases, although absurd. If not, I think they should be more worried about being sued over *not* treating an injured child, by parents who have no idea bandaids require parental consent!

:iagree: I don't leave my children there unattended so I was shocked when I realized today that they don't have cell numbers. This poor girl sat there for 40 minutes, bleeding, in the sun, with a possible broken arm. :crying: I was shocked when I found out it was an actual policy to have children running around bleeding and not just because they couldn't find the first aid kit.

This is a program of over 300 kids.

I think it's ridiculous that people sue people who try to help them.

I think it's ridiculous that people are now need to be afraid to help someone who needs it.

:iagree: But I can understand why they are worried about being sued in today's sue happy society. I suggested she get latex free Band-Aids and send a note home with the children letting the parents know that the wound had not been cleaned or treated, but only covered up, but she said the chances are too high that the parents will not take off the Band-Aid and clean it and they would get sued for infection.

I work the first aid station at SCA events. We aren't allowed to touch a minor until the parent has consented on paper. That said, they should be able to have parents sign a consent form, much like they do in the public schools for the nurse's office. Of course, we aren't allowed to apply any kind of medication (including things like neosporin) to anyone--we ask them if they want it and let them put it on themselves.

I would probably send my kid to practice with a first aid kit (gloves, bandaids, clean water for rinsing wounds, etc., no medications) and tell him to feel free to share with his friends if anyone needs something.

ETA: You'd think there'd be greater liability in letting the kids bleed all over each other.

That said, they should be able to have parents sign a consent form, much like they do in the public schools for the nurse's office.

Yes, the soccer program we participate in has a form to fill out that says you agree that minor medical care can be given to your child, allergies are listed, an ambulance can be called and cell phone numbers for both spouses and an emergency contact are listed. They keep these forms on the field at all times and I have seen them use them.

Yes, the soccer program we participate in has a form to fill out that says you agree that minor medical care can be given to your child, allergies are listed, an ambulance can be called and cell phone numbers for both spouses and an emergency contact are listed. They keep these forms on the field at all times and I have seen them use them.

This sounds like the way to go.

I'd think there'd also be potential liability issues with open wounds.

I voted other.

I think the policy may be reasonable given the litigious society now. I think it's a stupid policy too.

Hope the girl's okay.

So if a child was seriously injured and the parent sued that program for not attending to them, their liability policy would give them immunity? I just don't understand the whole liability reasoning.

Yeah, people are dumb and sue sometimes when people gave them medical assistance, but wouldn't it be better to fight the battle in the court room in the off chance that someone did sue the program for saving their child than to deal with bleeding children everywhere? That also isn't sanitary if the bleeding children go into the pool...

Maybe there should be a consent form for the parents where if something happens the parent it liable and NOT the program.

So..tonight I've read about a bleeding, hurting child with no way to contact the parents and noone having the ability to help her without fear of reprisal.

A school's policy allowing them to hand out condoms to children as young as 1st graders without the parent's knowledge or consent.

4-H parents "fixing" an election for a favored kid.

A parent being told that they would have to leave their 13 year old child alone with a Dr. so the Dr. can discuss drugs, alcohol and sex with the child.

Have we as a nation lost all sense of compassion, understanding right from wrong, common sense????:sad:

That is ridiculous! That poor girl!! I would have been livid if I were her parents. It seems like that rec center needs to get some better organization. Even if they have to require parents to stay on the premises. I'm not sure why they couldn't call the girls parents.....or even an ambulance. That is horrible.

Fear of frivolous lawsuits aside, there is no reason why a parent cannot be contacted when a child is injured. It sounds like they are completely disorganized. There should be an emergency medical form on file for every child, and each adult should have a list of parents phone numbers. That is just ridiculous.

After 10 minutes the 6 yo girl did give the teen coach a phone number. They tried calling it for 10 minutes when they figured out that the number was her home phone and the mom was probably out shopping. The girl then told them that she had an 8 yo brother at track who knew her cell number. It took them about 20 minutes to locate him. The mom showed up a few minutes later.

Completely, totally, utterly ridiculous.

This will not in any way prevent future lawsuits. I could argue that such a stupid policy will actually increase the possibility of a lawsuit.

Each coach should have, ON their person (or immediately accessible), the following:

--Signed consent forms

--Health history forms for allergies and such

--Parent contact information

And any kid who has allergies or special considerations can be marked with a sticker or some such.

Completely, totally, utterly ridiculous.

This will not in any way prevent future lawsuits. I could argue that such a stupid policy will actually increase the possibility of a lawsuit.

Each coach should have, ON their person (or immediately accessible), the following:

--Signed consent forms

--Health history forms for allergies and such

--Parent contact information

And any kid who has allergies or special considerations can be marked with a sticker or some such.

:iagree:Completely agree.

There should be a first aid kit with gloves and all the other needed materials to treat an injury as well. Personally, *I* wouldn't treat an open wound without gloves. When I worked for St. John's Ambulance Brigade (volunteered, actually, but it was work, if that makes sense, just didn't get paid :lol:) we were NEVER to touch ANYONE with an open wound without gloves. One of the other volunteers contracted Hep C from treating a child without gloves, thinking that a child was 'safe'.

Because of that, I've been known to use a spray on disinfectant, then hand the materials needed to an older sib to use under my supervision to treat the wounds of a neighbourhood kiddo (little 4 yo, parents weren't home).

Gone are the days when folks will simply wade in and treat anyone when there's blood present, for good reason.

What amazes me is the number of ppl that get offended that you're wearing gloves!

Edited by Impish