Menu

I need a Tell me exactally what to teach math program

I know I've posted about having Miquion math and saying that I was going to try after all the encouragment I got from other posters...But I just can't do it...I need something that's gonna tell me exatally what to do when how and why. She's a rising first grader and I think its worth too much to try and fail at teaching her something I can't get well enough to understand to explain to her. This is sort of ranty but I really want to know what is going to give her a firm foundation first so we can them move on to some of those conceptualy (no I didn't misspell that) mind computational (again not a misspelling) type of stuff. Is there a way to use the miquion as a side deal not the whole kit and kaboodle?

I know I've posted about having Miquion math and saying that I was going to try after all the encouragment I got from other posters...But I just can't do it...I need something that's gonna tell me exatally what to do when how and why. She's a rising first grader and I think its worth too much to try and fail at teaching her something I can't get well enough to understand to explain to her. This is sort of ranty but I really want to know what is going to give her a firm foundation first so we can them move on to some of those conceptualy (no I didn't misspell that) mind computational (again not a misspelling) type of stuff. Is there a way to use the miquion as a side deal not the whole kit and kaboodle?

You absolutely can use Miquon as a side deal. The whole/parts approach that Miquon tries to teach "concretely" (using manipulativeS) with a "discovery" method is very much in sympathy with approaches like Singapore Math.

I have not used Math Mammoth. Many users report that the same basic method used in Singapore Math is used in MM, and that they find it easier to implement, which sounds like what you are looking for. So perhaps MM or Singapore Math are things to consider. Either would be fleshed out nicely with Miquon.

Bill (who is happy to be discussing math rather than evil history books :tongue_smilie:)

Edited by Spy Car

Right Start. It's scripted and pretty much open-and-go for the teacher. It walks the teacher & student through the concepts step-by-step. I :001_wub: the early levels of RS!

It is also very easy to transition from RS to a more workbooky approach like Singapore or MM later on if you want.

Right Start. It's scripted and pretty much open-and-go for the teacher. It walks the teacher & student through the concepts step-by-step. I :001_wub: the early levels of RS!

It is also very easy to transition from RS to a more workbooky approach like Singapore or MM later on if you want.

:iagree: I highly recommend RS math and then transition later into Singapore. We actually do Singapore along with RS - but RS is our main program and I'd drop Singapore if time was an issue.

Right Start. It's scripted and pretty much open-and-go for the teacher. It walks the teacher & student through the concepts step-by-step.
:iagree:

I highly recommend Math Mammoth. The instructions are written to the student, right there on the page. It was also written as a homeschool program, so you don't have to worry about trying to take a TM meant for a classroom and tweak it to fit your learning environment. It's definitely a top-notch, easy-to-use program.

:iagree:It has been the answer for my DD!:001_smile:

:iagree::iagree::iagree::iagree:

It helped my struggling daughter and gave me many ways to present the same idea and my youngest daughter in pre-school even picked up some of her math facts by sitting with us and watching!

I highly recommend Math Mammoth. The instructions are written to the student, right there on the page. It was also written as a homeschool program, so you don't have to worry about trying to take a TM meant for a classroom and tweak it to fit your learning environment. It's definitely a top-notch, easy-to-use program.

:iagree: Can I second, third and fourth this? We love Math Mammoth here!

J

I am using Math 1 and I had to go look at the link you posted. Okay, well in my te and in my student book those are not in it. Not sure why they are on the site, except to show show a separation between answers. It has nothing to do with the program. Maybe it was just their way of doing the sample. Sorry I am not much help, but it really is nothing. I read the lessons, looked over the pages, etc and nothing.

:iagree:

Another very happy MM user here. It teaches the conceptual basis of math with very clear, explicit explanations (and excellent visual illustrations); it breaks down concepts into small steps; it provides good solid word problems that make sure kids can apply the concepts (not just plug-&-chug); it's inexpensive; and since it was designed specifically for homeschoolers, it's very easy to implement.

Jackie

OP, I saw your post in the networking forum and if you are still in Pittsburgh we are neighbors of sorts.

My ds6 is going into first grade. I'm going to do MathMammoth with him as it is cheap and I liked what I have read about it. I also will be using supplemental workbooks as needed, plus tying math concepts in to the unit studies we will be doing. I also have the Saxon 1 Teacher's Guide and will use it as necessary. My dh didn't want us to buy a math curriculum for the primary grades but agreed with MM. Saxon should keep us on track but the people who have used it before the 54 level have said it is a waste of money.

Christian Light Education

I have NOT used CLE, but I read about every math thread that comes through here! It seems like people who are using CLE always LOVE it, and then all of a sudden they test or something else happens, and they realize that although they thought their child was doing great and had this great conceptual background, the child doesn't understand nearly as deeply as the parent thought.

RightStart seems loved by people who start at level A. Those who start at B are in general less satisfied. It is a real parent time-commitment - you have to sit there and teach every minute of every lesson. (Though truth be told, you should be doing that with ANY math curriculum at this age!) The love seems to drop off 1/2 way through level C.

Miquon seems to generate strong opinions - people either love it or hate it. Those who can wrap their minds around it and figure it out love it. The other half takes one look and decides it is WAAAY too funky! It seems to usually be used as a supplement rather than a main program.

Singapore and Math Mammoth seem to teach the same way, the same things. MM has everything in one book, and breaks everything down into very small steps. Singapore has a separate teacher's manual, and has bigger conceptual leaps, and seems more confusing to teach IF you aren't intuitively mathy.

Math U See has an entirely different order than other programs. It is great for less-mathy kids and gives a great base, but is less exciting to use.

People who really want to focus on math add supplements, often a second program from above, or MEP or CSMP. (Google them - they are both FREE.)

As a disclaimer, we are still using pre-math stuff in my house, so I HAVE NOT PERSONALLY USED ANY OF THESE. This is just a summary of what seems to be the main opinions I see over and over from various readers.

Edited by MeganW

I have NOT used CLE, but I read about every math thread that comes through here! It seems like people who are using CLE always LOVE it, and then all of a sudden they test or something else happens, and they realize that although they thought their child was doing great and had this great conceptual background, the child doesn't understand nearly as deeply as the parent thought.

RightStart seems loved by people who start at level A. Those who start at B are in general less satisfied. It is a real parent time-commitment - you have to sit there and teach every minute of every lesson. (Though truth be told, you should be doing that with ANY math curriculum at this age!) The love seems to drop off 1/2 way through level C.

Miquon seems to generate strong opinions - people either love it or hate it. Those who can wrap their minds around it and figure it out love it. The other half takes one look and decides it is WAAAY too funky! It seems to usually be used as a supplement rather than a main program.

Singapore and Math Mammoth seem to teach the same way, the same things. MM has everything in one book, and breaks everything down into very small steps. Singapore has a separate teacher's manual, and has bigger conceptual leaps, and seems more confusing to teach IF you aren't intuitively mathy.

Math U See has an entirely different order than other programs. It is great for less-mathy kids and gives a great base, but is less exciting to use.

People who really want to focus on math add supplements, often a second program from above, or MEP or CSMP. (Google them - they are both FREE.)

As a disclaimer, we are still using pre-math stuff in my house, so I HAVE NOT PERSONALLY USED ANY OF THESE. This is just a summary of what seems to be the main opinions I see over and over from various readers.

Thanks.

We're going to try Saxon this year. :eek: Said I wouldn't use it, but I decided that everything else I'm doing is teacher intensive and something's gotta give. We'll be using Miquon on the side with it.

RightStart seems loved by people who start at level A. Those who start at B are in general less satisfied.

Not necessarily. There are plenty of folks who started their kids at level B and love RS. Dr. Cotter originally designed the RS program to start with B and only added A later on when folks started asking her for a more gentle intro for younger kids.

I don't think one can make blanket statements since it really depends on the individual child.

As I'm looking at the samples the answers have these tally marks in front and back of the answers. Does anyone know where that is explained or can you explain it to me? Here's the link: http://www.mcruffy.com/Samples/1ColorMathLessonSamples.pdf

It says somewhere on the website that those are a glitch from transferring to pdf form. They are not in the actual tms or workbooks, only in the samples, so just pretend they're not there.

McRuffy is scripted, organized and very easy to teach. The scripted part is bolded and easy to find, the objectives and preparations are listed at the top, and each lesson is on one page of the tm. Each lesson uses exploration with games and manipulatives followed by a workbook page. It is VERY spiral, introducing new concepts each week and reviewing an older one everyday.

CLE also has the same kind of scripted, organized, easy to teach tm, but has more workbook pages (usually 3). I tried it and it was overkill for my non-workbooky boy.

McRuffy was more fun with the games, toys, and less writing involved. I thought he was distracted with the manipulatives, but after trying CLE, I realized that having fun with math toys is not distraction, but actually fun learning. CLE is a great, thorough program for workbooky spiral kids.

My ds was also very bored with MUS and it is not scripted. I tried the free samples from Rightstart and Math Mammoth, and my ds really like Rightstart, but I can't afford it now. Try printing up the free samples to see how it works for you.

It's different for every kid and every teacher. Good luck finding what works for you!

Edited by Devotional Soul