Menu

Laundry Outside Overnight - Update

Just wanted to update - one DOES get moths if one leaves laundry out overnight. It fell out of my PJs last night, into the sheets. Ugh. This after a live one flew out of dh's shirt the other day.

I will not be leaving it out overnight in the future!

It doesn't matter that they don't eat clothes. Finding moths in one's clothes is just gross!

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I love moths. They are incredibly beautiful creatures. I would be likely to pick up the moth and carry it gently outside- after showing anyone in the house. Particularly if it was a pretty moth.

I would also actually not mind at all if a moth was inside my clothes. A spider- yes, that would get me, also a cockroach- that would be "gross"- but not a moth.

It is a common misconception that all bugs are dirty, dangerous, carry germs, "gross" etc. The vast majority are cleaner than people and pets. :D

Yeah, but they have all those little legs. :willy_nilly:

Why they want to be on me, I don't know. I get these little green bugs on me when I mow the lawn. I mow a little and keep finding them all day. I'm not sure what he thought until I explained it, but just yesterday while talking to a man about doing some drywall work for us, I felt something crawling, reached up and fetched one out of my hair. :D

Just wanted to update - one DOES get moths if one leaves laundry out overnight. It fell out of my PJs last night, into the sheets. Ugh. This after a live one flew out of dh's shirt the other day.

I will not be leaving it out overnight in the future!

Try to think of them as less-flashy butterflies.

Wendi

I don't know how to multi-quote....

My DC is too small to identify the moths (3yo) so no biology opportunity there.

I understand the moths are harmless, but they still give me the willies when they are in my pajamas.

I will try to think of them as less-flashy butterflies.

I will still try not to leave the laundry out overnight. That seems to be when they take up residence.

Grin! :)

• 1 month later...

Forget moths. A couple of weeks ago when I picked up a shirt I'd brought in from outside, there was a BIG, HAIRY BROWN SPIDER in it. Little bugger unfortunately got away, it's probably still living large under our couch. Now I'm extra-cautious when I bring in clothes.

That load wasn't out at night, though, so I figure day or night doesn't matter. There are bugs and such outside, period.

I think I'm over it.

So I was having little holes in my clothes and assumed that the moths were eating them when I left them out overnight. Now am I to believe this is not true???

Here in COLO I would love to leave them out overnight b/c the weather here is soooo odd. I can be clear, then rain for 2 min then clear, then cloud up but not rain...... I have most of my clothes on hangers so I can quickly move them in and out.

Lara

I have serious moth-phobia (like actual panic if there is one in the house) so I never leave the clothes out over night. My mom used to all the time and there were always lots of moths (which I was even more scared of as a child; I've calmed down some lately - repeating "it's just a harmless moth" over and over while I yell for my 10yods to come and get the moth out of the house helps:D)

luckily, said ds LOVES moths and scoops them right up, takes them outside and then lets them hang out on his clothes or ARM:eek: for a while before they fly away. How did this child come out of me?...

Jen

I left the clothes out overnight in the rain one day, and when I went to bring then in there were those pincher bugs on them. And a spider.

I counted a total of five creepy crawlies (three of them were the pincher bugs) on the laundry before my heebie-jeebies took over and I asked DH to finish bringing in the laundry.