Menu

Dear MCT Groupies,

Aubrey

In all my years, I've never found a curric I love as much as I love MCT. It is the one thing that we are most faithful to do, because we all love it so much that somebody suggests we start w/ it most days.

My kids think grammar is fun. My dd who is always competing w/ ds to be smarter, better, faster, is *brilliant* at language. She's glowing w/ her own thing she's good at. Ds, who shuts down & turns into a drowned clam w/ language is enjoying MCT & doing...anywhere from ok to great, depending on the day. Mainly, he loves it & is really learning the stuff.

MCT has given me vision for my future curric choices: it's like doing a personality type test & realizing that while you may appreciate friendly people, you're not one of them & therefore should never do home party sales, network marketing schemes, or other "friendly" jobs. :lol:

Other curric that's working ok-ish or not at all--I can better see why. It would be hard to put in words (although I try for hours at a time on dh), but I have a better idea of what to steer clear of. MCT, for ex, has convinced me that I *must* use Miquon & that LoF was indeed a good purchase. For ex, the dc used their math blocks recently to build an arch.

Then, realizing that it was not a true arch, since the pieces merely made the shape w/out leaning on one another, they rebuilt it, incorporating this important aspect of the design & spent the next 10 minutes discussing...well, something like the force of wind flow through the stacked arch. Trying to understand its strength. This was how they "played" w/ 3yo while waiting for me to put 1yo down for a nap & get back to math.

They also ask to play "Name the parts of speech" in the car now. Which is very weird but gratifying. I don't expect that one to last.

Thank you.

:w00t: Aubrey!! I was not aware that you had jumped onto the MCT bandwagon. :svengo:

Very cool. :coolgleamA::thumbup1: I'm glad to hear how much you like it. My copy's in the mail and I can't WAIT for it to get here.

I tried to be a little incognito until I knew I liked it. I didn't want people to know how easily swayed I am by you boardies. I'd hate to have to decide whether or not to jump off the cliff. ;)

:D

Then, realizing that it was not a true arch, since the pieces merely made the shape w/out leaning on one another, they rebuilt it, incorporating this important aspect of the design & spent the next 10 minutes discussing...well, something like the force of wind flow through the stacked arch. Trying to understand its strength.

Love it!

I can tell just by your writing style that you would love MCT! Glad to have you aboard!

I'm actually looking at Latin materials that might be similar to MCT. I read there are some story based Latin materials out there. Any one have any recommendations?

Love the arch! My kids recalled building an arch out of huge blocks and the physics behind it when we had visited a children's museum. We will probably go back to that museum this summer and I hope the blocks are still there.

They also ask to play "Name the parts of speech" in the car now. Which is very weird but gratifying. I don't expect that one to last.

Welcome to the club. DD and I have added "analyze the sentence" to our repetoire of car games. She'll come up with a sentence and then analyze it herself or ask me to analyze it. Recently she started challenging me to come up with sentences based on her description: e.g. come up with a sentence with four clauses and four prepositional phrases.

So I take it that you are no longer angry with me? ;) :D

Bill ( waiting for it :tongue_smilie:)

No, Bill. I will now follow you blindly into just about any curric. Between MCT & your posts on Miquon, I've been trying to convince dh that if we sell MUS, we could purchase the parts of Miquon we're missing. Um, & that we should. :001_huh: Unfortunately, I just convinced him of the value of MUS last summer, so he's still on that bandwagon.

I am more certain than ever, though, that I am hopelessly non-electronic, & therefore MOST grateful that I didn't try PR, which I was leaning twd before you all suggested MCT.

I'd really come to the point that I thought I was never going to like any grammar program & was feeling terrible that I was having such a hard time sucking it up & teaching it anyway.

Now I'm rambling, but I have to say, the visual aspect of the program (MCT) is SO great. Even dh & I are learning things that had been vague for us before. My favorite is the chemical-looking chart of nouns & verbs & how the other words relate to them. Shoot, I feel like learning a foreign language would be *slightly* easier now. Why is there so much that is never explained?

I learned prepositional phrases in college by intuition & 6th sense. In level one MCT, I'm finding that prepositions are not nearly so mysterious. :glare:

I told you that you would like it! I said it very eloquently, too, something about how you and MCT share a love for thrilling language. Yay.

Julie

Yes, Julie. I remember. You made MCT feel less like a cliff, lol. :001_smile:

Okay, since Aubrey "came out," I will confess that we have been using MCT and loving it too! The difference in my dc's attitude convinced me to order some LoF for my 13yo dd who HATES math. I have only used Saxon and have had great success with it, so this was a biggy for me. She disappeared with the LoF books one day and when I checked on her to tell her to go on to the next subject, she asked if she could do more math! What!!! Just goes to show that an old dog (I've been homeschooling 15 years) can learn new tricks.

After every glowing report I read about MCT I go and look at the samples on their site. The samples really don't look *that* amazing to me, and not normally something I'd buy. However, after hearing so many raves about it, I may have to break down and try it. :D

The first samples I saw were printed for me at a bookstore where dh was going to get something else & asked if they had any. I read them & threw them across the room. (I was aiming for recycling, fwiw.)

Then I saw the samples online. The samples from the other level (one was Town, one was Island, I can't remember which I saw where) were a *little* better. But really? I wasn't impressed, either.

Dh ordered it so I'd stop getting so worked up over finding a LA prog. :lol: I really think there's something to a spouse knowing you better than you know yourself.

But why is it better in person than what you see online? Partly, I don't think they've chosen very good samples. Partly, the samples are out of context, & it's the way it works together that's good. Partly...well, you know how much different poetry is when it's read aloud, plays are when they're performed, etc? MCT's like that. You have to actually teach it to start seeing its beauty. Imo. And I guess Bill's the exception. ;)

I picked up Grammar Island (student text) at a thrift book store for $3.00. I don't think I would have given it another thought only seeing the samples online. BUT, after going through it with my son and seeing how appealing it was to him...I AM TOTALLY SOLD! I ordered the whole program even though we were a few months from finishing our 3rd grade year. We are planning on continuing through the summer with it and just ordering the next level when we finish this level. My son (the prepetual complainer) has not complained ONCE since we started it. He has even jumped at a few of the writing assignments. It is the best fit I could hope for, for him. I am thinking about ordering more RFWP for next year. I am watching the other thread carefully.

I'm actually looking at Latin materials that might be similar to MCT. I read there are some story based Latin materials out there. Any one have any recommendations?

For Grammar stage there is Minimus and Secundus, a story about a mouse (named Minimus) who lives with a family in Hibernia (ancient Britain). I am going to use them this summer as refresher for my older and continuation from Song School Latin for my middle son.

For Grammar stage there is Minimus and Secundus, a story about a mouse (named Minimus) who lives with a family in Hibernia (ancient Britain). I am going to use them this summer as refresher for my older and continuation from Song School Latin for my middle son.

We love Minimus and MCT here -- I had never thought about the similarities before!

So tell me how these books work? Is it one ongoing story that you read in one sitting or chapters or something else? Is there any written work for the children to do?

It's not exactly an ongoing story, & there are no chapters. We set the timer for 20 min, read, do some stuff on the board, talk. There is written work in some of th wbs, but we haven't gotten that far. There are also ws to copy, hidden at the end of the tms where a body wouldn't find them until it was too late if a body didn't have boardies.