Menu

Went a little mama bear on an x-ray tech--did I do the right thing?

My ds hurt his foot yesterday playing with his grandmother's exercise bike. The dr ordered x-rays. At the hospital, the x-ray tech was fussing over the machine, saying things like, "I really don't know if this will work." She said this a couple times while fiddling with various things. Then she shrugged her shoulders and said, "Well we'll just give it a try and see what happens I guess."

At this point I asked her if there was a problem with the machine, and she said she wasn't sure if it was working or not. I asked her if we should consider using a different machine and she said, "Oooooh, it'll be fine. If it doesn't work then we'll see."

I said that if she wasn't sure if the machine was working properly, then she couldn't be sure about what she was potentially exposing my 9yo son too. She got a little exasperated with me and said many things along the lines of x-ray radiation being harmless, that we're exposed to more radiation using the microwave or a cell phone, etc., etc. I repeated myself ("If you're not sure if the machine is working properly, then you cannot be sure about what you are potentially exposing my 9yo son to."). I then asked if we could use a different room/machine.

The tech was a little irritated with me, but did get us in another room, grumbling the whole way and telling me I should read up on x-ray.

--Please tell me I was right to insist that they use a machine they are confident is actually functioning correctly???

--I cannot fathom the laissez-faire attitude towards x-ray. If it's really so harmless, why is it done in special rooms? With a lead apron? With the tech behind a wall?

--Ds has had four x-ray exposures this year: twice for asbestos screening (that was major), a panorama on his broken teeth, and now his foot. I'm a little stressed about this.

My ds hurt his foot yesterday playing with his grandmother's exercise bike. The dr ordered x-rays. At the hospital, the x-ray tech was fussing over the machine, saying things like, "I really don't know if this will work." She said this a couple times while fiddling with various things. Then she shrugged her shoulders and said, "Well we'll just give it a try and see what happens I guess."

At this point I asked her if there was a problem with the machine, and she said she wasn't sure if it was working or not. I asked her if we should consider using a different machine and she said, "Oooooh, it'll be fine. If it doesn't work then we'll see."

I said that if she wasn't sure if the machine was working properly, then she couldn't be sure about what she was potentially exposing my 9yo son too. She got a little exasperated with me and said many things along the lines of x-ray radiation being harmless, that we're exposed to more radiation using the microwave or a cell phone, etc., etc. I repeated myself ("If you're not sure if the machine is working properly, then you cannot be sure about what you are potentially exposing my 9yo son to."). I then asked if we could use a different room/machine.

The tech was a little irritated with me, but did get us in another room, grumbling the whole way and telling me I should read up on x-ray.

--Please tell me I was right to insist that they use a machine they are confident is actually functioning correctly???

--I cannot fathom the laissez-faire attitude towards x-ray. If it's really so harmless, why is it done in special rooms? With a lead apron? With the tech behind a wall?

--Ds has had four x-ray exposures this year: twice for asbestos screening (that was major), a panorama on his broken teeth, and now his foot. I'm a little stressed about this.

ETA: I mean I'll ask my DH what could have been wrong with the machine...I think you did the right thing.

I'll ask my DH. he took regular x-rays for years.

But many of the protections are in place for the techs and docs who are exposed to it hours at a time.

Edited by unsinkable

I think you did the right thing, if only to have saved your son the pain of going through another set of xrays, and your time.

I don't know about anyone else, but it never failed that the xrays needed me to be position in a manner that always caused me the most pain!

There was no point in wasting your time with a machine that was iffy. If she wasn't sure it would work, she could have taken you to another machine.

I think you did fine. You stood up for yourself politely, and you avoided a possibly unnecessary x-ray.

You showed your ds something yesterday -- that you'll stick up for him, no matter what. He'll remember that, even if he forgets the x-ray itself.

I'd say, "WTG, Momma Bear!" :)

You did the right thing. Never feel regret for standing up for your child's health and safety!

Now as far as your worries, I personally think that many of the protections are indeed for the benefit of techs as well as to protect the facility from potential liability. CYA, KWIM? So please let your mind rest. You really have needed the diagnostics for your son this year.

How is your fella holding up? He has had a rough go lately, hasn't he?

:grouphug: for you and :grouphug: for him!

I think you did right just on the basis the machine was not functioning correctly. Even if there was no overexposure risk, there was still the question of whether the xrays would be accurate given the trouble she was having with the machine. Either way, I think changing to another machine was a good decision. Ms. Grumbling X-ray tech might also learn to act a little more professionally next time since there are people who are actually listening and watching her. :thumbup1:

:iagree: with everyone. How ridiculous! The tech's attitude of "Let's try this out on a patient, make them wait for the results, and if it doesn't work, do it again" is entirely unprofessional, particularly considering there was a reliable machine available.

True, we are probably exposed to tons of radiation daily, bla, bla, but does that mean we need to be exposed to more in order for a healthcare office to "test" their equipment? Especially when it's malfunctioning could result in an unusually high/unknown level of radiation? And on a child??!!

You definitely did the right thing. I would lodge a formal complaint.

I wouldn't let a mechanic put my car on a lift if he wasn't sure it was working... why, then, would I let an x-ray tech use a machine they weren't sure of on my child?!?

The tech was being lazy. I don't blame you the least little bit.

Really, a sketchy machine? Yeah, again, I wouldn't use a machine (especially something like that) that they weren't sure of.

I want to be clear that mom did the correct thing...

but just based on what the tech said, any number of things could be wrong the machine. It could have had nothing to do with the quality of patient care.

And these days, most x-rays are available instantly. They don't go to film anymore. So if it "didn't work" they'd know immediately.

Plus, when a machine goes "down" it messes up the whole department. If it was an issue that wasn't going to matter to the patient, I could understand why she might want to fiddle with it.

I wouldn't even call that "going mama bear." I certainly have asked things like that for myself as a patient. If you are concerned with something medical, always speak up. People make mistakes every day. Since your child is too young to speak up for himself, you must do it. You did nothing wrong.

My kids have been exposed to countless x-rays (unfortunately) but I still insist on knowing the reason why we are doing it and whether it is absolutely necessary or not. I just recently refused one because I felt it wasn't necessary. The doctor was a little miffed, but he understood my position.

One point to add what others have said: different x-ray machines have different levels of radiation exposure. I was in the radiology department having a test done with one of my dc when I had the bizarre experience of the head of the radiology department come in and try to recruit me to donate money to an x-ray machine that will have a lower exposure rate. So the fact that the professionals are still worrying about it means that I need to as well - and so do you. ;)

Honestly, I probably would have just assumed the tech was a little grumpy and possibly having a bad day and cracked a few jokes with her so she'd loosen up. I hate when any medical personnel are in a bad mood :glare:.

From what you're describing, it sounds like she wasn't sure the scans would come out OK, not that the machine was dangerous or anything.

That's just me, but I fully support your position if that's the one you want to take. She's in a service position, so she should serve you in a way that satisfies you with the appearance of a joyful attitude, genuine or not.

I'd be more offended that she tried to lecture you and the under her breath grumbling than about the machine functionality.

I wouldn't even call that "going mama bear." I certainly have asked things like that for myself as a patient. If you are concerned with something medical, always speak up. People make mistakes every day. Since your child is too young to speak up for himself, you must do it. You did nothing wrong.

Actually, now that I think of it, within the past couple years, I outright refused an x-ray at the orthopedic dr until she had actually seen me because I was pretty certain that I had a soft-tissue injury. That was not standard procedure and the assistant who brought me in got grumpy, the nurse got grumpy, and finally the ortho came in, listened to the history, examined me, and agreed I didn't need an x-ray. I was protesting because 1) I didn't want radiation exposure that I didn't need and 2) I didn't want to pay for x-rays I didn't need. This is typical of me in a medical setting... so that's why I regard your behavior as just being a "client", a "customer": you have the right to be assertive about what you want (or don't.)