Menu

Good news to share!

For those who remember that I was 'laid off' from my adjunct position at the end of the Spring semester I have good news to share. I have been offered one class for the Summer semester (beginning next week) and two for the Fall.

Yeah-we are so very happy. It means no summer vacation for me until August but I can live with that.

I have decided to ride my bike to work this summer to help with my fitness and weight loss program. DH and I rode out to the school last night. I can do it in 20 mins with no traffic.

Praises are being sung for this wonderful blessing. We can use the income and I need the stimulation.

Edited by The Dragon Academy

Awesome. I rode my bike two semesters for grad school and it really created a sense of wellbeing. I felt like I was helping myself, helping the environment, and reducing the stress of trying to find a parking place. I LOVED that 30 minute ride to campus. Where I live now I can't ride anywhere accept in the neighborhood. I really miss it. Have fun.

Wonderful!

And good for you, riding your bike. I ride mine to work, too, and love it.

Does your state have an incentives program for alternative commutes? We have a program that allows us to log our commute miles on an online calendar, which is kinda nifty, because it gives you this kind of information:

You've entered 106 trips since April 03, 2009

You eliminated 212 drive-alone miles.

You prevented the following from being emitted into the environment*:

• 172.31 pounds of carbon dioxide (contributes to global warming)

• 0.64 pounds of hydrocarbons (contributes to smog)

• 5.79 pounds of carbon monoxide (poisonous gas)

You saved 8.84 gallons of gasoline and $26.52 dollars*.

I only live a mile from work, so I don't save tons of money, but it's fun to know. Tracking my commutes also automatically enters me into drawings for things like gift cards to Target.

Good luck with your riding and your work!

ETA: Are you teaching where I think you're teaching? :)

Um. Where my son will be going to college in September...?

I wish. They don't hire anyone without the terminal degree and I am a lowly MA. I teach at the local CC.

I play tennis every week at the school your DS is going to attend. I thought of him the other day and told all of my tennis chums about him (no names; just that I knew of a homeschooler who will be attending and he appears to be one smart cookie). The profs from that school are all hoping he will be in their classes.

Adjuncts are a thing of the past around here.

Really? I was told adjunct positions are on the rise. Since we do not receive benefits and are paid much less than full time faculty we are much easier on the budget.

I am so disappointed about the lack of benefits. Children of my co-workers all get to take courses for free while I have to pay full tuition for DD. By the time we add up books, fees and tuition I have to teach one course for every two courses she takes.