Menu

Wearing Make-up... How to get started?

I'd like to start wearing a little make-up. But I have hardly any experience with it. I don't want to spend a fortune but I will pay for good advice and quality. Right now my plan is to head to the Clinique counter at the mall. Is this a good course of action? Or is there a better one?

Thanks!

I think The Body Shop is good for teaching subtly applied make-up and has reasonable quality products. They might be a little less expensive than Clinique. My hairdresser is also trained and that is where I'll take my daughter when she's ready. She will use her products or yours if you bring them.

I went to the Clinique counter. Personally, I think they used way too much make-up and it didn't look natural at all - more like a china doll. I ended up buying the foundation, a lighter foundation stick for around the eyes, blush and some kind of lip gel/lipstick. I shouldn't have bought the foundation - that's where the "unnatural" started. I have since heard of tinted moisturizer (which they didn't even mention) that I think would probably have been more of what I wanted.

I bought the mascara at CVS - but have to say it wasn't much cheaper and they did sell brands that were much more expensive that Clinique.

If you want a natural look I would look into the mineral makeups. It gives some coverage without making you look like a doll. I very rarely wear makeup and when I do I generally just use a mineral powder, blush, mascara and then some tinted lip gloss. It gives me a very natural look but covers the blotches that I want covered up.

I went to the Clinique counter. Personally, I think they used way too much make-up and it didn't look natural at all - more like a china doll. I ended up buying the foundation, a lighter foundation stick for around the eyes, blush and some kind of lip gel/lipstick. I shouldn't have bought the foundation - that's where the "unnatural" started. I have since heard of tinted moisturizer (which they didn't even mention) that I think would probably have been more of what I wanted.

I bought the mascara at CVS - but have to say it wasn't much cheaper and they did sell brands that were much more expensive that Clinique.

Did you get a liquid or cream based foundation. I find those to look very unnatural. Clinique does have a fabulous pressed powder foundation that I swear by. I have very fair blotchy skin with dark eye circles and it works wonders. I use the powder-foundation as an all over base from my eyelids and undereyes and then just gently sweep it around my face to smooth out the blotches. I highly recommend it for anyone who needs/wants coverage without looking painted.

If you don't like your products, they should take them back or credit you for more appropriate products. Good luck. I just started wearing make-up (again) a few years ago. It took some time to find the right look.

If you could find someone who sells Mary Kay, they may give you a free makeover. This would be a good way to test out some products. I think it is better than a Clinique counter because generally, in a mall, the lighting is terrible. I like Clinique products, but I prefer Estee Lauder. I switched to Mary Kay exclusively several years ago. If you know someone who sells Avon, they may have some free samples you could try.

Arbonne is crazy expensive.

Mary Kay is pretty good stuff, but they kind of push you to buy their whole system. It's hard to purchase just one thing.

Mineral makeup looks wonderful but reflects badly in photos. So you can look great in real life and not be able to get a good picture to save your life. It's really odd. So that's why I don't use it. I don't wear make up very often, but I have a jar of Lancome liquid just for those few occasions. It feels pretty light, and it evens out my skin. You do have to wear blush if you wear make up though, or you look ill. I have powder blush that is pretty subtle. I put on the make up, let it dry, and brush on the powder on my cheekbones.

I also say to find someone who sells Mary Kay. I never wore makeup, never liked the way it looked until I found Mary Kay. I sell it now on a small scale (mainly so I can get a discount. LOL). Check out their website and there is a lot of great stuff and tips.

I do agree that a lot of there consultants will push you to buy everything. Don't feel obligated! Just get what you need.

Thanks for all the great advice!

I am definitely going for a "natural" look.

I didn't even think of going to the Body Shop. That is a definite possibility.

I know I can get mineral make up online, but is it sold at the mall by someone who could help me with it?

I do know someone who has sold Mary Kay. Maybe I'll get in touch with her. But please, if anyone else has advice, I'm :bigear:!

I'd check out a Sephora if you can -- they have so many brands available, and their salespeople are usually pretty helpful and friendly. You could compare makeup brands. I like Clinique and used it in the past...now I've just simplified a ton and use a Philosophy pallette that has everything in one little book thing.

For foundation-type make-up, I like the pressed powder/foundation combinations that you apply with a sponge. It is super easy and quick to use and gives enough coverage without looking "made-up". I usually just use Covergirl, but many companies make the same kind of thing. I like it much better than the loose powder type, which I find to be more messy and less effective.

Physicians formula makes a tinted moisturizer that is mineral and non-toxic and all that good stuff. It is light (as in weight) and a great place to start. They sell it at walmart, target, pharmacies etc. You can wear it alone or top with a powder and bronzer for a more finished look. I also purchase mineral make up online from everyday minerals. You can get free samples to try.

I have very sensitive skin and switched to Bare Minerals a few years ago. It is a miracle worker. Before going to it I could only wear Makeup a day or two a week without having red skin. I first tried it at Ulta (they even have workers that will give you a makeover to show you how it works). I have never had issues with it looking odd in pictures. If you just use it lightly it is great and feels so light on the skin. I never even notice I am wearing it. It also lasts a long time for me.

I think Bare Minerals is a good suggestion is you're sensitive. I can't wear it because I'm too dry. I'm a big fan of Chanel Pro Lumiere foundation but it's at a higher price point - but lasts a while. I have deep love for MAC with just about everything else. I walk into Dillard's and the girls at the MAC counter wave. :001_smile: FWIW, I'm a Kandee fan, she's had a number of tutorials and fav products on her website.

Just a thought: Once you have your products you like, you may find youtube videos to brush up on application technique. My oldest daughter had always done a fine job applying her makeup, but one day I saw that it had changed somewhat, and she just looked extra fresh-faced and tastefully made up. She said she learned it from a youtube video. :)

Bare Minerals is wonderful! I don't use a lot of make-up, and I don't like to look made-up, and I've been very pleased with this line. As for reflecting badly in photos, I haven't found that to be the case. I just received professional theatre pics from the last play I was in (wearing my own Bare Minerals - just applied much more generously than usual and included eye and lip color which I normally don't wear), and the pics turned out great. I've never had a problem with the make-up in our candid, digital pics, either.

They have an application video included in their starter kits that might prove helpful to you.

Have not read the thread replies.

I would avoid for definite, going to some "make up counter" and trusting the sales person to make me "look good". They are clueless, and want only to sell something -- many "somethings", in fact. What looks good on me is immaterial to these people, no matter how much vocal honey drips from the coos of "Oh, you look maaahvelous, dear !" Same thing for individual vendors (Avon, Mary Kay, etc.), although these sales people probably have a greater vested interest in trying to do the right thing, because they want your return business. Even so, they are imposing their conception of what "looks good" onto you.

Do-it-yourself experimentation is what I trust.

I also would invest the time to read around at this website: http://www.safecosmetics.org/

Edited by Orthodox6

I do know someone who has sold Mary Kay. Maybe I'll get in touch with her. But please, if anyone else has advice, I'm :bigear:!

Find a GOOD Mary Kay consultant! Not all of them are good BUT the products are VERY good. PLUS, you are helping a woman and her family/business. :001_smile:

I have always really like Clinique makeup but have always gone back to L'oreal Voluminous mascara. My younger sis (fashion merchandising major) loves Sephora. I recently purchased from them some skin care products b/c I was having issues with pimples and wrinkles - go figure!!:D

I must say that I love the stuff I got from Sephora (www.sephora.com) and it makes me want to try more! I love to wear mascara b/c my eyelashes are so light and need a little something to help them out. If you want to go natural, I would definitely try the mineral makeup b/c it is the foundation and powder in one (and many have SPF, which is a +). When I have to go somewhere, I still like my Clinique Superbalanced makeup - at least on my T-zone (under-eyes, nose and chin).

My mom also share with me some wonderful lip balm from Burt's Bees ~ Lip Shimmer (I really like the Raisin shade), it is very moisturizing and yet adds a little color. What is funny is when I started wearing it, my boys all just stared at me so funny ~ I realized that they weren't used to me wearing any color on my lips!! LOL! But my dh really liked it!:D

HTH

If you like a natural look, I would recommend going to the library and picking up Bobbi Brown's books. You don't have to buy her cosmetics (I don't) but I found her style and technique very helpful when starting out.

I'd start by getting a makeup magazine or book, too, and go from there.

How much makeup do you want to wear? Maybe you only need eyeliner and mascara.

Do the drug stores (CVS, RiteAid, WalMart) still have that deal where if you hate the makeup you bought, they'll take it back (with a receipt) even if you've used it? If so, buy your stuff there.

I use Mary Kay and Sephora. Mary Kay has the benefit of trying in your own home or at a friend's. The BEST way to learn is when a Mary Kay consultant invites you to an event that features a professional makeup artist. Sometimes you might have to pay. This was the way I learned although I did it as a consultant. It cost $25.

Sephora women are friendly and helpful but they wear a lot of makeup. Still, it would be fun and it's easier to walk out the store without purchasing than it is to go to a MK party and not purchase.

Since we're on the topic of faces, what are eyelash extensions and how are they applied and removed, how easy, etc.

I thought it was just a fancy name for false eyelashes.

I'm glad to hear some of us are wearing bare minerals, I wanted to know because I look yucky with foundation too, probably wrong tint but still, it looks ... yucky and wrong.

ALSO: what do you use for exfoliator?

Just a thought: Once you have your products you like, you may find youtube videos to brush up on application technique. My oldest daughter had always done a fine job applying her makeup, but one day I saw that it had changed somewhat, and she just looked extra fresh-faced and tastefully made up. She said she learned it from a youtube video. :)

Any links?

Since we're on the topic of faces, what are eyelash extensions and how are they applied and removed, how easy, etc.

I thought it was just a fancy name for false eyelashes.

I'm glad to hear some of us are wearing bare minerals, I wanted to know because I look yucky with foundation too, probably wrong tint but still, it looks ... yucky and wrong.

ALSO: what do you use for exfoliator?

for exfoliating and conditioning I use these two products:

Loreal go 360 Clean for exfoliating

and

Garnier Skin Renew Brusher for cleansing and exfoliating

The Garnier product will leave you face softer than a baby's bottom, I kid you not! I used to have sandpaper skin before I started using this. Its amazing.

Any links?

No links, yet. I haven't seen the youtubes myself, but just got off the phone with the daughter who used them. I am going to go double check them myself.

My exfoliator: Aveeno Active Naturals Skin Brightening Daily Scrub. Very gentle. Does the job for me without the flaming red reactions I've gotten from everything else I've tried.

Edit:

Here's what my daughter said: "Look for Michelle Phan's youtube channel, especially her Natural Looking Makeup Tutorial. Other channels to look for are Kandee Johnson (a professional make-up artist) and JuicyStar07. Juicy is homeschooled, and moderates her channel carefully, so you don't have to worry about the comments."

Note: I sat through the Michelle Phan video ONLY. There was some good, basic information on there, and nice music. I can't vouch for the other names.

Edited by BridgeTea
added info on videos

No

Edit:

Here's what my daughter said: "Look for Michelle Phan's youtube channel, especially her Natural Looking Makeup Tutorial. Other channels to look for are Kandee Johnson (a professional make-up artist) and JuicyStar07. Juicy is homeschooled, and moderates her channel carefully, so you don't have to worry about the comments."

Note: I sat through the Michelle Phan video ONLY. There was some good, basic information on there, and nice music. I can't vouch for the other names.

I linked to KAndee in my post. Love Kandee. www.kandeethemakeupartist.blogspot.com