Menu

Where would you visit if you could for medieval year....

I'd go to England and Scotland. In fact, I have already put a bug in dh's ear about how I want to go to Italy & Greece after Ancients the next time around and England & Scotland after Middle Ages next time around. We are on our second loop of Ancients right now, so that gives me 4 years to convince him!:)

If I had my choice, I'd go to the UK and France--plenty of castles. And Japan, to Kyoto!

Within the UK, it would be really hard to choose. Wales has a zillion great castles, there's London, Oxford, Bath, Hastings/southern coast, Canterbury in southern England, there's Scotland with other castles and Hadrian's Wall, Ireland is good at any time...I think I need to plan a year in the UK. My husband can get a job there, right? :p

I'd go to England and Scotland. In fact, I have already put a bug in dh's ear about how I want to go to Italy & Greece after Ancients the next time around and England & Scotland after Middle Ages next time around. We are on our second loop of Ancients right now, so that gives me 4 years to convince him!:)

Oh yes, go for it! We went to Italy after studying Ancients, and it really brought history alive for all of us. All the ruins in Rome were incredible, and we had a great time visiting Pompeii, too. We spent a month in Florence, and while we hadn't yet studied the Renaissance, it was still great for all the art and they remembered it well when we studied it the following year.

We're starting ancients again in April, and I'd sure love to go back!

Same with me and I AM going to France in one week!!! I'm really excited!!:D

ArwenA,

I share your excitement! Please let us know where you went and what you'd recommend. I've been to France a few times, but not with the kids, and we're taking them in September. My kids are 10 (will be close to 11 by then), and any particularly kid-fun things to do would be appreciated!

We plan on doing all the Paris tourist things, and also we just finished Year 4 so we want to go to Normandy. If you get up that way, please let me know what you think. Thanks, and have a GREAT time! :)

There is a castle in England called Warwick. It's amazing. They have it set up so that you get the full medieval experience. During the summer there are jousting tournaments, falconry, and they have the largest trebuchet in the world! It's fabulous when you are studying that time period. Scotland is also great, though. As you drive, there are just ruins of castles along the road by the sea. It's also great when you are studying the ancients. There are so many bronze age sites in Scotland.

--Dawn

We have had the opportunity to visit many Medieval destinations in Britain and France in the past few years.

Our favourites so far have been Kenilworth Castle, with links to some major historical figures – including ‘Bad’ King John, Henry V, and Henry VIII; however, Kenilworth is most famously associated with Robert Dudley and Queen Elizabeth I. They happened to be hosting a medieval reinactment village whilst we were there. Experts on Medieval shoe making, yew bow making, pottery and tiler, and even an apothecary were all there from museums all around Europe. Dd read 'Kenilworth' by Sir Walter Scott and so all in all it was a wonderful visit.

We also loved Stokesay Castle in Shropshire. Stokesay Castle is the finest and best preserved 13th century fortified manor house in England. It is set in the isolated countryside near the Welsh Border and stiil has its gatehouse and patish church. Because of this context it is really easy to imagine oneself in the 13th century.

I know I have missed so much in Britain. Many small medieval towns are worth a visit too. Edinburgh still retains much of it's medieval atmosphere in the Old Town and you can walk into the Georgian Era like a time traveller by simply walking down the mound to the New Town. We love Warwick and York.

In France Château-Gaillard captured our imaginations (we visited this because we had made a cut out model of it from Bellephon Books!). Richard I of England who was also the Duke of Normandy, ordered that the castle be built in little more than 12 months, between 1197 and 1198 to protect Rouen and the rest of his duchy from the French kings, but Richard died due to an infected arrow wound on his shoulder before the fortress was complete. It dramatically overlooks the town on Les Andelys on the River Seine and you are so high you can see the river snaking it's way through the valley. It is so peaceful and one can hear sheep with bells across the countryside.

Another unforgetable place was Mont St Michel in Normandy. You can read all about our day there in today's blog entry (although we visited in September). Please click on the link below in my signature.

Regards,

Lorna

In France:

Mont St. Michel, and the medieval scriptorium in Avranches

Tapestry de Bayeux (very well done museum, very informative)

Jumiege--the abbey ruins

Notre Dame de Chartres

Avignon--the papal palace

Catacombs of Paris

Oh, there's just so much!! And I've forgotten half the things we did, and there's so much more that we never got to!

The Metropolitan Museum of Art is wonderful! Lots and lots of medieval art, a huge hall with arms and armor... also, the Cloisters (related to the Met, but different location) specifically focuses on the middle ages- lots of workshops and related special events.

And I'm seconding Trivium's mention of the Higgins Armory in Worchester, MA. My son loved that museum- especially when they would do arms demonstrations.

But if budget is no consideration- I'm going to Germany, Austria, or anywhere else in western Europe! :)

Oh, yes, the Higgins was great! We did a homeschool tour - $5/ per student and well worth it. They even have Japanese samurai armour! They let the kids try on some of the pieces and did a very thorough job of explaining in practical terms the evolution and demise of full body armour and the rise of "party" armour. My little guys loved it, too. After the tour they deposited us in a great hands on room with life sized chess board, lots of armour head gear to try on, dress ups for girls and boys, books and lots more. It was hard to drag everyone out of there at the end of the day.

Up for a trip to Europe? I'm not sure if that's possible, but if you want to see Medieval . . . ;)

If so, I'd go to the Kaltenburger Ritterturnier in Germany (Bavaria, not too far from Munich). It's held every Summer and is simply amazing. It's "supposedly" the biggest Medieval tournament in the world. http://www.ritterturnier.de/

In English:

Kaltenburger Knight's Tournament

startbild2007-3.jpg

We took the kids in July 2006 and they were mesmerized. Mine were a bit young, but we hope to go again someday!!

And there is always a side trip to Rothenburg ob der Tauber: http://www.romanticroad.com/rothenburg/sights.htm

Or Dinkelsbühl, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dinkelsbühl

ArwenA,

I share your excitement! Please let us know where you went and what you'd recommend. I've been to France a few times, but not with the kids, and we're taking them in September. My kids are 10 (will be close to 11 by then), and any particularly kid-fun things to do would be appreciated!

We plan on doing all the Paris tourist things, and also we just finished Year 4 so we want to go to Normandy. If you get up that way, please let me know what you think. Thanks, and have a GREAT time! :)

We will spend the first week in Paris and then go to Normandy ( we were doing modern times so this seems a dream field trip) and visit some places on the way there and back, not quite sure what. My kids would be really upset if we didn't see any castles so that's a must.:)

I will tell you more when I come back and I'll try to blog a little there too.

In France:

Mont St. Michel, and the medieval scriptorium in Avranches

Tapestry de Bayeux (very well done museum, very informative)

Jumiege--the abbey ruins

Notre Dame de Chartres

Avignon--the papal palace

Catacombs of Paris

Oh, there's just so much!! And I've forgotten half the things we did, and there's so much more that we never got to!

Thank you for the ideas!:)

I love Italy and the Roman Empire! We took our children there last month. They had a great time--the more tactile the experience, the richer the memory. My most vivid memory of living in England was going to an abandoned castle--and playing house for a day. A dark, damp day in a stone structure really gave me respect for how strong our ancestors must have been to survive and thrive.

Anyhow, visit England first for the castle experience. Visit Rome if you want the feeling of a lasting empire :)

Why would anyone want to visit that time period. A fairy tale world of the medieval period sure, but to actually step back in time to that time period would not be my cuppa tea.

Then I click on the thread to see what nuts would go back in time and find field trip destinations. My vote would be to visit Europe. Boring, how boring. No time machine involved!:p

overlooking the Rhine. They try to be totally authentic. In fact, if you want ice cream you have to go outside the gates and eat it before you return. But they do offer a reconstructed, hand-operated "ferris wheel" for the kids to ride. Yes, there were ferris wheels and carrosels at the time. It's great, but the other German festivals I've been too were also good.

See the midieval villages also. I've always enjoyed Rothenburg, but there are many others that I think can give an even better feel for the small, tight streets and overhanging upper floors.

Don't forget monastaries and churches!

• 4 weeks later...

There are also some great castles in the former east that rarely make it onto top 10 lists.

Wartburg is the sight where Luther was in hiding while the emperor and the pope wanted him killed. It was revered in the romantic period as the ideal German castle. Constructed by Ludwig der Springer (Ludwig the Jumper), it is also a major site for St. Elizabeth.

KriebsteinNeuenburg

Festung Konigstein (actually this is a bit later than middle ages, more of a fortress with cannon. But wow, is it ever impressive.)

There is also the cathedral at Naumberg and the Jagdschloss in the Grunewald in Berlin. Lots and lots of great sites in Thuringen and Saxony-Anhalt. And the lovely thing is that there is rarely a crowd unless there is some big festival.

Clarification: The Wartburg is very popular, especially since it was restricted in East Germany for so many years. It is literally a shining castle on a hill that can be seen for miles around. But the castles in other parts of the former east were very underappreciated.

Renaissance fairs give a good feel for the era (even though it's late medieval).

Museum exhibits featuring medieval objects, clothing, furniture and art. Keep in mind that the Middle East/North Africa was flourishing as Europe fell into decline. Look for those exhibits, and those of South America as well.

Viking exhibits - especially in Canada.

Online tours of castles and churches.

It may be a bit obvious, perhaps often visited with only the thought of a tourist destination but...it must be said:

The Tower of London-it has it all from crowns, execution sites, armour and great tour guides. Plus, it is in London and just a short trip from lots of other great sites. Westminster Abbey and their copy of the Magna Charta come to mind quickly.