Menu

So how do you think Ellen's doing on American Idol?

I'm waiting for my potatoes to cook and have an itch for absolutely meaningless conversation -

How do you rate Ellen on AI? I think she's doing great and I've always loved her, but

I think her comment last night after the second duet was annoying and out of place:confused: They just finished singing "When you really love a woman" (or something like that), and her constructive feedback? "Well I've loved a woman".

What was the point? An attempt at humor? Probably. Certainly her quirky sense of humor is part of what I like about her, but that was her only comment before they awkwardly jumped to the next person.

I have NO problem with her being gay - could care less. But think that comment lacked judgment on a "family" show.

That's it. Back to potatoes,

Lisa

I like her, I think she's funny......but, her comments on American Idol just make her seem uneducated about the music industry. Which, maybe that's what they were going for. Maybe they wanted someone that wasn't familiar with the industry to share their opinion. But she looks sort of silly when the other three judges say someone was totally off pitch and she says that she loved their performance.

And yes, the comment last night was totally and completely uncalled for.

The first show or two that she did I liked her OK. Then I found her annoying and inept. She constantly starts one sentence, gets halfway through, and ends with another sentence entirely! She gives very little constructive criticism (even on performance aspects, which she, presumably, knows something about). And I thought that comment was in poor taste, but so are other things the other judges have done in the past (remember Simon and Paula's skits in the past?)

i think she's a less drugged version of Paula. She doesn't do constructive criticism well - she tries too hard to be nice. AND she tries to take the attention off the performers and put it back on herself, which is kind of obnoxious (and transparent) after a while.

I think she's getting better. I really appreciated the fact that she was the "nice" one early on. Now, she's starting to get more constructive, I think.

I actually thought her comment last night was funny!!! It was the kind of comment that would go over most kids' heads. My two youngest didn't catch it. My two oldest did, but they're old enough that we've had lots of discussions about these things.

Just added humor. Other than that... useless in my opinion. I wish they would get someone who knows what they're talking about and I'm still upset that they didn't want to pay Paula but decided to pay Ellen. I wonder how much. Anyone know?

Just added humor. Other than that... useless in my opinion. I wish they would get someone who knows what they're talking about and I'm still upset that they didn't want to pay Paula but decided to pay Ellen. I wonder how much. Anyone know?

Don't know, but I like the other female judge much better than Paula - very constructive and articulate in her opinions. I couldn't quite figure out why they would put Ellen on the panel other than for comic relief, but I figured they wanted a layman's opinion from someone who just loved music and, to that extent, I suppose she fit the bill. Probably because my expectations were so low that I thought she's doing pretty good, getting a bit more constructive in her feedback. But, yes, sometimes I cringe with the "It was great!" comments.

I generally really like Ellen but not on AI. I do miss Paula. I wish they would go back to the original three judges. I do not like Kara at all.

:iagree:This exactly. I'm a huge fan of Ellen's, but this isn't the place for her. I found her comment last night funny though.

i think she's a less drugged version of Paula. She doesn't do constructive criticism well - she tries too hard to be nice.

I agree. Ellen seems like a genuinely nice person and I think she tries hard to balance Simon, much as Paula did. She really doesn't know anything about music, but adds levity. I honestly find Randy inarticulate much of the time.

I thought her comment last night was funny! :D

Overall, dh and I think "Eh" about Ellen. Not great, not terrible. Sometimes she's funny, sometimes she stammers all over herself and can't get out a coherent sentence.

The comment last night made me roll my eyes. Not because I was offended, just because...that's the best she could come up with? Too easy, too obvious. Which would've been fine, I guess, if it was just a little throwaway before a comment on the performance.

I wish they'd made the "Mrs. Robinson" joke with Kara a quick throwaway, though. Cute the first time...dead horse after that.

Cat

Given her genius for timing and delivery, that comment was hilarious. I didn't see it the first time around. It's American Idol, for goodness sake! It's American Idol, not Shakespeare. Not to mention, William was far more risque that that.

According to my teen ds, she is not as musically insightful as the music professionals, and is less quirky that Paula. She is very likeable and funny, and she gets a thumbs up.

Edited by LibraryLover

Ummm... to say that that comment doesn't belong on a family show is pretty shocking. Her and Portia got married when it was legal in California. It's unfair to say that you like someone and say they're great and then say the kind of family they have is unacceptable.

I am disappointed that my family missed that last night. I think it would have been a wonderful opportunity to speak with my children about tolerance and God's love for all people and conversely the bigotry that our country is slowly, but surely overcoming.

I'm waiting for my potatoes to cook and have an itch for absolutely meaningless conversation -

How do you rate Ellen on AI? I think she's doing great and I've always loved her, but

I think her comment last night after the second duet was annoying and out of place:confused: They just finished singing "When you really love a woman" (or something like that), and her constructive feedback? "Well I've loved a woman".

What was the point? An attempt at humor? Probably. Certainly her quirky sense of humor is part of what I like about her, but that was her only comment before they awkwardly jumped to the next person.

I have NO problem with her being gay - could care less. But think that comment lacked judgment on a "family" show.

Lisa

I am in 100% agreement. I do not have a problem with her being gay. I do feel like her comment was inappropriate and ridiculous given the nature of the show. I feel 100% the way you described and so do others that I have discussed this with today (friends and family).

I am in 100% agreement. I do not have a problem with her being gay. I do feel like her comment was inappropriate and ridiculous given the nature of the show. I feel 100% the way you described and so do others that I have discussed this with today (friends and family).

:lol: And what, pray tell, is the 'nature' of American Idol? :lol:

Overall, dh and I think "Eh" about Ellen. Not great, not terrible. Sometimes she's funny, sometimes she stammers all over herself and can't get out a coherent sentence.

The comment last night made me roll my eyes. Not because I was offended, just because...that's the best she could come up with? Too easy, too obvious. Which would've been fine, I guess, if it was just a little throwaway before a comment on the performance.

I wish they'd made the "Mrs. Robinson" joke with Kara a quick throwaway, though. Cute the first time...dead horse after that.

Cat

:iagree:

I am bored with her.

I generally really like Ellen but not on AI. I do miss Paula. I wish they would go back to the original three judges. I do not like Kara at all.

My thoughts exactly.

I never thought I'd miss Paula - but with the new judges table line-up, I do! Ellen's contributions are limited to comic relief and Kara's cougar routine is getting REALLY old...

I've been a fan since Season 1 but I may stop watching next season when they replace Simon...

Lisa

I wouldn't consider AI a "family" show, at least not for my family. The only way I let the kids watch is when it has been recorded and I can completely fast forward through the judges talking. Learned the hard way when Kara called someone (herself, perhaps) a b****.

I haven't found time to watch much this season, but did see the end of the show last night and was disappointed to see Casey is still there. I knew Lee and Crystal would make it this far, though.

As for Ellen, I think she can definitely be funny, but don't feel she's been very constructive. She offers some of the same Paula type comments, about how nice people look, etc.

Casey is my girls' favorite! But he learned to completely ignore the judges - he'd never been in the bottom 2, until the one week that they raved about how "this is what we've been looking for!"

We don't like Crystal too much, although I did really enjoy Lee and Crystal's version of "Falling Slowly." She totally screwed up Shania's song.

Lee has gotten better as the weeks have gone by, and I do like him more now. A Lee and Casey finale would be fine with me.

I thought Casey or Mike would be the one to leave. I would have preferred Casey to leave. I like Mike better. The finale, at this point, looks like Crystal vs Lee with Crystal winning. I see Casey leaving next week unless he blows the doors off something spectacular.

ON-topic, I don't like Ellen or Kara all that much. I think Paula was a better "performer" type reviewer. We have executive and producer aspects from Simon and Randy. The contestants need a performance aspect on the critiquing panel. I assume that's what Ellen is for since Kara is another producer-type. I know Kara sings but she's not a big star who has sold out stadiums and tours like Paula has. Ellen, obviously, knows about performing for a live audience and stage presence, etc. She just needs to convey something useful to the contestants.

Edited by dansamy