Menu

Did you call your MIL on Mother's Day?

Guest Cindie2dds

I would leave it to dh, and I do. I also leave presents for his side of the family to him too. I's one of the benefits of marrying an older man- he was quite well trained by the time I got him :) Does his own washing, keeps his things tidy and talks to his own mother :)

We went and visited her. She lives locally..my mother doesnt.

Guest Katia

No, I didn't. She isn't my mother.

I would call my mom if I could....she is no longer living. But, I called her every Mother's Day, sent cards and flowers, etc. while she was still alive.

Dh worships his mother. She is like God to him. He uses her as illustrations in his sermons; he publicly credits her for him being who he is; etc. etc. She is perfect and sinless in his sight. I didn't even get to celebrate Mother's Day last year, as it was all a big shing-ding that he planned for her. I didn't even get to go to my mom's grave. sigh.

Anyhow, this year I made an off-hand remark that maybe *this year, I would actually get to celebrate Mother's Day for *me....and after a year I think he realized that he had totally swept me under the carpet last year......so he was extra nice to me this year, told me "Happy Mother's Day" several times, and even got Chinese take-out for supper for me! It was nice, but very unusual.

And, I don't think he called his mom today now that you mention it. At least, not that I am aware of.

I still didn't get any cards. My son didn't call me or send a card; my dd that we just picked up from college stayed in her room all day and I didn't hear "Happy Mother's Day" pass her lips. Youngest dd, however, drew me a funny card and bought me a cute stuffed animal. I'm glad that at least one out of three kids thought about me today.

I slept through the afternoon, past supper. That's my usual time for calling, so my Mom called here x2 when I was sleeping, and my MIL called this eve.

Wolf talked to his Mom. Despite being beside him, I was 'sleeping' according to him...Another Mother's Day gift!

Dh and the kids called his mom, not me.

She took that time to complain about not getting a visit. She lives nearly 2 hours away, and knows I can't be in their house due to allergies. In other words, my husband and kids should have ditched ME on Mother's Day. :001_rolleyes:

No, I went to visit her. Dh wanted to stay home and spoil me all day, and I get car sick on the hilly almost three hour drive, but I insisted I didn't mind going to visit mil. :001_smile: She dislikes me, and she probably would have preferred I didn't come.

Edited by angela in ohio

My dad took mom out for dinner, so I said Happy Mother's Day to her at church but I didn't have the card with me, so I'll have to actually get that to her today...late but, well, I guess better than never. The children made up a planter of daisies for her, a couple of days ago, and then forgot to bring it in at night. We had a frost, grrr...., Saturday night. The daisies don't look too perky so I guess she may not be getting those either.

Dh cooked steaks, mushrooms, green beans, hashbrowns, and made rolls for lunch for his mother and I. She loves to wash dishes, WISH SHE'D COME TO MY HOUSE ONCE IN A WHILE, and so she washed dishes with dh and the kids. I sat on the couch and read. It was very nice. However, no cards from the boys or him. DD, the nearly 19 year old and totally sweet, hugged me, told me she loved me very much, and made me a card! This is the same kid who is known to bring a bouquet of spring flowers for me just to brighten my day.

Oh, I got a rose at church. The pastor had vases full of very nice roses placed at the front of the church and each mom was given one.

Faith

I see a recurring theme ~ wife buys card, wife tells DH to sign, wife addresses, mails and reminds DH to call. I wonder if the MILs know this?

Thanks Denise. I have tried everything I know too. For years I called with weekly updates, then after kids were born, I called twice a week. After Christmas, 21 years later, I got tired and stopped calling. She has never called; even about the girls. I send pictures via email, no response. I guess I'm just done. I wish I had a MIL like some of you described, but I don't. I will encourage my girls to go see her whenever they want, though. She's their grandma and that's important.

Similar situation, I went and bought MIL rose bush and wrapped base really pretty and sent my DH and boys to see her yesterday.

She has ignored me and my kids for so long. I just don't even try anymore. But I do encourage the boys to see her even though she never comes and sees them. We live 35 min away. Its so sad

I went last weekend, while dh was out of town for a conference, and took my MIL out to dinner and gave her a gift. We live two hours away, and gong this weekend was not an option.

Then, on Mother's Day, while I napped my dh called his mom. I then made the visit to my mom's last night - she and I aren't close at all, so I enjoyed my dinner with my MIL much more.

I am just getting to where I enjoy Mother's Day at all...I've always felt like I missed out on something that others had...

(Quoting myself here...)

My MIL passed away four weeks ago. Dh, the boys, and I visited her grave today. Worst Mother's Day ever.

I just realized that we DID call my mil. Dh dialed her cell phone, which went to voice mail, and we got to hear her say her name. (FIL has not so much as removed her robe from the bathroom; I suspect her cell phone voice mail will be active for quite some time.)