Menu

anybody still wear pantyhose?

I was so happy when I heard about 2 years ago that they were out of style. I only wear them now to very dressy things like funerals. I saw a woman at the store today wearing dk brown hose with white backless sandals. She had to be burning up it was over 80 degrees today.

I'm so glad that I don't wear those things often. I think a man invented them :)

Edited by fairfarmhand

Some businesses still require their female employees to wear hose when wearing dresses/skirts. I'm sure it also varies by area. I knew someone from Puerta Rico who indicated that they stopped wearing hose years before we did in the US mainly because of the heat.

Guest janainaz

Heck no! They were going out-of-style 10 years ago when I quit working. I hated them then, I hate them now and I can't imagine ever wearing them again.

I do admit to wearing them occasionally in the winter when I am pasty white...or in the summer occasionally to hide the chigger bites on my ankles.

But this is one big reason I've begun to use sunless tanner in the summer when my skirts are shorter. ( I don't worry about it in the winter cause I usually wear knee boots with a skirt)

Probably. I heard they were invented during WWII when you couldn't get silk stocking because they needed the silk for parachutes. Silk would have been much cooler.

Does anyone still make silk hose? I think I'd like to try them just once. I bet it would be cooler.

Guest Cindie2dds

I don't wear pantyhose, but some of my fellow flight attendants do. I wear black tights with my skirt or dress, which is much more common than regular pantyhose, even in the summer.

Does anyone still make silk hose? I think I'd like to try them just once. I bet it would be cooler.

Yes they do. I saw them in a very expensive catalog once. I have no idea which catalog, but I'm sure you can google them. I think they were something like $25+ a pair.

I think I've worn them about three times in my whole life. Apparently, I was way ahead of the times ;)

They never made any sense to me. Why? I still don't understand. Tights, I get. Tights are one of the reasons I sometimes wish I had a girl.

Pantyhose always look odd to me because inevitably they don't match a woman's skin tone...so her arms are different than her legs. It seems like women whose face and necks don't match with foundation...kwim?

Tights that are meant to look like tights I like in most cases.

I wore them the last time I dressed up; husband's company's Christmas party in 2006.

I would wear them if I went to a church, a funeral, a wedding, a formal party or if I still had my pre-Mom job. And if you want to be technical, I prefer stockings to pantyhose, but at the moment appreciate the benefits of control-top pantyhose.

This stay at home mom gig is pretty cool except for the dress code. I wouldn't mind getting to dress up more often.

I wore them the last time I dressed up; husband's company's Christmas party in 2006.

I would wear them if I went to a church, a funeral, a wedding, a formal party or if I still had my pre-Mom job. And if you want to be technical, I prefer stockings to pantyhose, but at the moment appreciate the benefits of control-top pantyhose.

This stay at home mom gig is pretty cool except for the dress code. I wouldn't mind getting to dress up more often.

I'm the opposite. I'm grateful for the complete freedom in my wardrobe. Too many suits and too many hot days suffering through pantyhose back in the day. Now, I only wear pantyhose for extremely formal events. However, when I see a woman in a business suit w/o hose, it still looks odd to me, esp. in the toe cleavage area.

Laura

I stopped wearing panty hose when putting them on became an athletic event.

Ha! Sometimes I feel that way about jeans, too. :001_smile:

I avoid hose as much as possible, but I sure would like to have an easier time finding a slip every now and then. I looked at about 10 different stores before finding one for dd before Easter. And then, I had to choose between itchy, itchier, and itchiest for her. Slips must be going out of style, too.