Menu

s/o up-to-date literature thread...what do you consider to be modern classics?

Definition of a modern classic for THIS thread being 1985 or so and newer. Obviously "modern" could go back much further. Have you read any children's or teens novels that you felt were worthy of, say, assigned reading and maybe a study guide for discussion? (Not that it HAS a study guide, but you feel it merits one because it's rich enough to take the time on?)

I really enjoyed Nation by Terry Pratchett and am writing a discussion guide for it so that my teens and I can go through it for school.

Edited by 6packofun
/..

Guest Dulcimeramy
Out of the Dust by Karen Hesse (1997).

An incredibly poignant short-novel written in verse. A contemporary classic than can be enjoyed by both juveniles and adults. Superlative work!

Bill

I agree that it is an incredibly poignant short-novel written in verse, but it made me want to drive off a bridge. Maybe its the family history of depression talking here, but I will never offer my kids this book.

ETA:

:o:o

Hai! I'm hornblower and I can't read!

I totally missed the children & teens bit of the question.

These were my suggestions but they're only suitable for mature teens & up.

Margaret Atwood - Handmaid's Tale

Rohinton Mistry - A Fine Balance

Michael Ondaatje - The English Patient

Alice Munro - all short stories

Carol Shields - Stone Diaries

I think the Kite Runner will stand the test of time.

Not sure about Life of Pi.

Edited by hornblower

Definition of a modern classic for THIS thread being 1985 or so and newer. Obviously "modern" could go back much further. Have you read any children's or teens novels that you felt were worthy of, say, assigned reading and maybe a study guide for discussion? (Not that it HAS a study guide, but you feel it merits one because it's rich enough to take the time on?)

I really enjoyed Nation by Terry Pratchett and am writing a discussion guide for it so that my teens and I can go through it for school.

One that dd and I discovered last year is Chains by Laurie Halse Anderson. I highly recommend this one when studying the American Revolution as it's equal to or perhaps even better than Johnny Tremain.

I have assigned many of the newer Newbery books. Maybe there are guides to some of them already??

A Single Shard

Pictures of Hollis Woods

Number the Stars

Shiloh

The Giver

Catherine, Called Birdy

Yolonda's Genius

A View From Saturday

The Watsons go to Birmingham

Out of the Dust

Everything on a Waffle

A Long Way from Chicago

Good Masters, Sweet Ladies

Holes

Bud, Not Buddy

Hope Was Here

etc....

Other modern books, like the Harry Potter books or the Percy Jackson books are books I give my children for free reading. Though....I think the The Deathly Hallows could be worth studying. I was recently going over Teaching the Classics and I could see using Deathly Hallows with it. I think my 11yo would really *get it*!

Doomsday Book by Connie Willis was very powerful and I assigned it to my teens. The Ramsay Scallop by Frances Temple was also fabulous.

Well, my definition of a classic is a book that's worth reading more than once. Whether or not I would also define it as great literature is iffier. ;)

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a favorite of mine. I laugh every time I see Mrs. Mungo's siggy. I think there are some choice bits of philosophy in there. I love the passage about how the only man capable of getting himself elected president should on no account be allowed to do the job. :tongue_smilie:

Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card opens up a discussion about whether or not there's room for compassion/mercy in war.

Harry Potter (as a whole) tells great story of redemption. :)

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a favorite of mine. I laugh every time I see Mrs. Mungo's siggy. I think there are some choice bits of philosophy in there. I love the passage about how the only man capable of getting himself elected president should on no account be allowed to do the job. :tongue_smilie:

Have you seen Zaphod's campaign video?

We watch it at least once during any election campaign & then look for the throw away words in candidate speeches: "peace, democracy and stuff like that" :lol:

Zaphod Beeblebrox has the longest hair of any candidate!

And his teeth are white as snow!

Yeah, I'd put Hitchhiker as a classic. It's very witty social and political commentary.

Have you seen Zaphod's campaign video?

We watch it at least once during any election campaign & then look for the throw away words in candidate speeches: "peace, democracy and stuff like that" :lol:

Zaphod Beeblebrox has the longest hair of any candidate!

And his teeth are white as snow!

Yeah, I'd put Hitchhiker as a classic. It's very witty social and political commentary.

That's awesome, thanks! :)

Geared toward the younger crowd:

Lugalbanda - the story of Gilgamesh's father. Only published a few years ago, but thought to be one of the oldest known written stories.

The Librarian Who Measured the Earth - Another living history book. I just love these kind of books about real people and events, but in engaging story book form.

The Scrambled States of America - Amazingly silly little book that has taught my son a lot about the geography of the states.

The Tale of Despereaux - our very favorite read aloud so far. The themes of devotion and chivalry and perfidy all really resonated with me and my boys.

Of course, Harry Potter.

And right now, we are on the fourth of the Percy Jackson books. I wouldn't say that they are particularly elegantly written, but for fun reading, I am pleased by how much they have sparked my 8-year-old's interest in Greek mythology.

His Dark Materials trilogy, by Phillip Pullman. Probably the best-written YA books in the last decade or more.
I read the first Harry Potter book just after finishing the His Dark Materials trilogy, and never made it to the second book.

Frindle, The Landry News (however, these would be for middle school or early teens)

The Dark is Rising (this is probably a decade too early too)

Hmm, I'm going to have to read my shelves to see if there is anything that I think that highly of.

I could maybe see Redwall as an example of a heroic epic. But you can only read so many of these before they are rather repetitive.

I think a lot of the Newbery and other ALSC award winners would qualify (many of those already mentioned are Newbery winners).

My son read me 2 "Poppleton" books last night. Poppleton in Spring and Poppleton in Fall.
:D

We like Poppleton (who wouldn't?), but it's Mr. Putter and Tabby we still talk about months and years later. We joke about one of our cats having a "frog problem" (we have African dwarf frogs) and my littlest draws pictures of her with frogs in her eyes.

We like Poppleton (who wouldn't?), but it's Mr. Putter and Tabby we still talk about months and years later. We joke about one of our cats having a "frog problem" (we have African dwarf frogs) and my littlest draws pictures of her with frogs in her eyes.

Mr. Putter and Tabby goes on "the list."

Bill

We love Poppleton, Mr Putter & Tabby and Henry & Mudge. They are such sweet books. I love how gently Mr. Putter and the question of aging is covered.

But Poppleton has infiltrated our speech. The Lions' Club Pancake Breakfast story from Poppleton in Fall has to be one of my favorite stories ever.