Menu

s/o Are you Marianne or Elinor?

Who are you in life, or secretly :)  

1. 1. Who are you in life, or secretly :)

• Marianne Dashwood
    • Elinor Dashwood
    • A combo of the two

The "popular movies that bug you" thread has been fun. Someone commented that they are "a Marianne" and another said they are "an Elinor".

I am Marianne in my heart, but an Elinor in practice. Meaning, I'm very romantic in my heart and mind, but I don't act on those feelings. Perhaps that's why it took me so long to get my first date! I didn't go out once until I was a junior in college! I got married at 26. I swoon over romantic movies, but at the same time, think the Marianne-type character is acting foolishly.

So who are you?

ETA: I just realized that the definition of an Elinor IS what I just said I am! She WAS a romantic on the inside, but pushed it down deep... right???

Edited by BikeBookBread

I'd like to think I'm Elinor, but truth be told, I'm probably Marianne more often than not.

Funny - I'm a complete Elinor, but I always wanted to be able to be completely swept away by emotions a la Marianne :tongue_smilie:. Not all the time, mind you, but I've always thought it would be nice to feel something so strongly that it turned off my brain for a bit. Alas, my brain just never. stops. thinking. Eh, there are worse things ;).

ETA: I am an INTJ, too.

I am musical and artsy and sensitive like Marianne. I am very practical and reliable and logical like Elinor. I do not get completely wrapped up in emotions and the feeling of romantic stuff like Marianne. I don't completely stuff my emotions and I am not as quiet (I talk a lot) as Elinor.

I am both!

I voted combo, as I'm not as straight-laced and mature as Elinor, but I'm not as foolish and immature as Marianne either. I'm me, and not even close to either two.. perhaps smack dab in the middle would be the correct term. My mom always described me as an odd bird.

Not a romantic either. When I was 17 and out with my boyfriend, he pointed out a gigantic full moon against a backdrop of glittering stars and outlines of cacti. I promptly howled.

As I stated in the other thread, I am Marianne :D

All of you Elinor's don't be so hard on us Marianne's. We keep your life interesting. ;) Though we exasperate you more oft than not, we love you deeply and steadfastly.

My life is filled with well-meaning Elinor's. I attract them like a magnet. I think their practical minds are trying to figure out how in the world we get through life:lol:

I love Kate Winslet, in both "Sense and Sensibility" and "Titanic."

For those of you who are not sure, you can take the Which Jane Austen Character Are You? quiz.

Fun thread!

I think Elinor is INTJ. (Me!)

Marianne - IFSP - drama queen

Oh! Willoughby!

Let me get pneumonia and almost die!

I always wondered whether Colonel Brandon ever regrets marrying her.

What is INTJ and IFSP?? Can't figure that one out!

Of course he doesn't regret it! Once Marianne decides to give herself, she would do it whole-heartedly;) LOL!

All of you Elinor's don't be so hard on us Marianne's. We keep your life interesting. ;) Though we exasperate you more oft than not, we love you deeply and steadfastly.

My life is filled with well-meaning Elinor's. I attract them like a magnet. I think their practical minds are trying to figure out how in the world we get through life:lol:

LOL - Oh I know! We do adore you! And you give us lots to talk about :D

The world would be very boring if we were all Elinor.

I voted Elinor, and I'm an ENTJ. :001_smile:

hornblower, I am sure there were moments when that "oh, geez, get a grip," but I doubt he regreted it. He loved her passion and sensitive heart.

I am more on the Elinor side because I am not so easily overcome by emotions than I am analytical in most cases, anyway.

:lol: Colonel Brandon probably needed a little fresh wind like Marianne in his life. I forever love the actor for his role in this film. He portrayed the essence of maturity, gentlemanly behavior and unselfish love.

I am clueless....

...as to where to categorize yourself or clueless as to what we are talking about? If it is the latter, rent the DVD or read the book "Sense & Sensibility" by Jane Austen. If you like the Austen-style, you'll enjoy it.

Then come back here and vote!

I am Marianne in my heart, but an Elinor in practice. Meaning, I'm very romantic in my heart and mind, but I don't act on those feelings. Perhaps that's why it took me so long to get my first date! I didn't go out once until I was a junior in college! I got married at 26. I swoon over romantic movies, but at the same time, think the Marianne-type character is acting foolishly.

ETA: I just realized that the definition of an Elinor IS what I just said I am! She WAS a romantic on the inside, but pushed it down deep... right???

The "ETA..." part is exactly what I was thinking as I read the previous paragraph. I always felt so sorry for her while she was being so noble and stoic, having everyone misunderstand her and think that she had no feelings, when the truth was that her sense of propriety made her master her feelings. I think she is one of the most admirable characters that I've ever seen in a book.

I love Kate Winslet, in both "Sense and Sensibility" and "Titanic."

I love her too, not least because she refuses to let Hollywood tell her she needs to be no bigger around than a pencil.

As for Marianne, I think the end of the book implied that she grew up. She always loved Colonel Brandon, and learned to be the lady of an estate, which Austen always makes sound like a serious management job, if it's done right anyway. She would have made me nuts at 17, but I agree that you'll not find a more loyal friend than someone like Marianne.

Supposedly, I am Anne Elliot, but I've never read Persuasion.

In Myers-Briggs terms, I used to be an INTP, and I have turned into an INFP. Last time I took a test, I had zero T answers, only F answers, and I used to be almost that far over on the other side. Weird.

I love her too, not least because she refuses to let Hollywood tell her she needs to be no bigger around than a pencil.

As for Marianne, I think the end of the book implied that she grew up. She always loved Colonel Brandon, and learned to be the lady of an estate, which Austen always makes sound like a serious management job, if it's done right anyway. She would have made me nuts at 17, but I agree that you'll not find a more loyal friend than someone like Marianne.

:iagree:

I wanted to say that about Kate Winslet but I couldn't find the right words. You said it perfectly. She wants people to know that she's a real person. Sometimes I think that the English movie stars are much more grounded than anything our Hollywood produces.

Hmm. According to the quiz i AM more Elinor than Marianne!

I just ordered the collected works of Jane Austen, so I can't wait to reread the book and remember what that actually means! :lol: Everytime I read Jane Austen, I read through ALL her books in a very short period of time (I take the anthology out of the library and devour it), but it seems that the end result is that I muddle all the stories together and can't remember which character (and plot!) is which.

Edited by SproutMamaK

Well, I intentionally answered in a way that would net me Captain Wentworth, so... :blushing:

From the book or one of the films? I think my favourite hero is Mr Knightley played by Jeremy Northam. His only weakness seems to be that he likes Emma; she's a very silly young woman! I dislike the story so much that I can't even watch the movie again. Such a shame, *sigh*...

Rosie

What I love is that Emma Thompson (Elinor in the film) is very happily married to Greg Wise (Willoughby in the film). She was very funny on the radio recently about how pleasant it was to wake up next to physical beauty.

They met during the shooting of the film and have one biological daughter and one son, a former child soldier from Rwanda whom they adopted when he was a teenage refugee in London. That's an adoption that most of us could not even imagine undertaking. Last I heard he was doing well at university.

Laura