Menu

Failed induction, is there a way to avoid a c-section?

So, I was induced and it failed. I'm 3 cm dilated but the baby is too high and my cervix isn't thinning. I'm back home waiting to see if the baby will drop down. I've been taking walks and doing some deep squats to see if gravity can help me out. Is there anything else that I can do? I really, really don't want to have to go through a c-section. Any advice?

BTW: this is my 4th pregnancy. My first two labors went fast once the dr broke my water. My third was a miscarriage, needed a d&c. Could this have anything to do with my current situation?

You don't have a history of c-sections. You list no other reason to think you might have one this time. It sounds like your body simply isn't ready to be in labor yet.

While there are things one can suggest, they're not likely to work if your body really isn't ready yet.

Can you just drink lots of water and get some rest?

Are you "past dates" at this point? Is there any other reason they're pushing for induction?

The D&C shouldn't have effected you in this way.

I had emergency c-sections for both of my girls, sometimes a natural birth just isn't in the cards :(

But the good news is that C-sections aren't as bad as they sound. Instead of being up and walking around after ~4 days comfortably it'll be more like a little over a full week.

You husband will have to readjust his expectations accordingly, the more responsibility he's able to take the faster you'll heal and the sooner you'll be back on your feet going full throttle. Most importantly try not to push yourself into doing what you were able to do after your natural births.

I hope that you don't have to have one, but if you do -- they're really not so bad!! :)

As long as they didn't break your water and there are no other reasons the baby needs to come out soon (health problems or the like), I would just stay home and wait. I had an elective induction with my first daughter that ended in a c-section for no reason other than I was going to slowly. I would avoid the c-section if at all possible and just wait if you can. If not, a c-section is not the end of the world, but do try to avoid it if you can. I hope everything works out for you. Good luck!

For me, inductions are nightmarish. My last labour, I kept telling them to break my water, and the baby would be there in 2 hrs. "Give me an epidural and break my water" is what I kept repeating.

But I'm the mom, and couldn't know what I was talking about. My body stalls out at 3 cm. Both with my 3rd and 4th babies this happened. With Tazzie (my 3rd) I'd been in labour for 20 some odd hours when they broke gave me the epidural and broke my water. I went from 3 cm (where I'd been sitting for HOURS) 10 10 cm in 90 minutes. They called the Dr, and at first he was ticked, saying that I wasn't near delivery, the baby was too high. The nurse asked me to push again...Drs eyes widened, and he started scrambling to get gloved and gowned up.

With Princess, I'd been in labour for 2 days without change (2.5-3) They induced me...and it took about 8 hrs to get to a full 3 cm. I'd been begging for an epidural and water to be broken from the start. Sure enough, when they finally DID do what I asked, baby was in arms about 2 hrs later. She had been in serious distress from my being in labour for so long...Nothing ticks me off more than when they don't listen to Mom.

As for helping, try sitting on an excercise ball. Rocking back and forth, making circles with your hips can help babe to come down. Also raspberry leaf tea is often recommended by midwives.

Just to counter-balance, all three of babies were induced, and all went very well, especially the last two. My last two deliveries were literally painless (I did, of course, have an epidural.) My middle child came out about 3-4 after they began inducing me!

I was one of those people that thought a C-section was worth than death, and I never needed one, but I haven't the slightest idea if anything I did affected that. I did do a lot of kegels and squats, and exerised throughout the first two pregnancies.

Good luck!

So, I was induced and it failed. I'm 3 cm dilated but the baby is too high and my cervix isn't thinning. I'm back home waiting to see if the baby will drop down. I've been taking walks and doing some deep squats to see if gravity can help me out. Is there anything else that I can do? I really, really don't want to have to go through a c-section. Any advice?

BTW: this is my 4th pregnancy. My first two labors went fast once the dr broke my water. My third was a miscarriage, needed a d&c. Could this have anything to do with my current situation?

Unless there's other information, I don't understand why c-sections are on your mind. Especially when it was determined safe to send you home.

Yes, c-sections are often used when labor is unusually long, but you're not in labor! Hope it comes soon though! :)

Here is a few things that may help:

Drinking ginger tea

Squeese between thumb and second fingerfinger

massaee ankles do frequently until you know baby is on the way

excrete small amount of breastmilk every 2 hours (I would do it more often)

rub belly with essential oils (diluted with carrier oil) lemon, clary sage, and fennel

evening primrose oil rubbed on cervix

If you don't feel like tea with hubby try walk.

Your cervix not thinning isn't proof of anything. The day I went into labor with my middle dd I had an OB appointment. He said my cervix was not soft, not effaced, I was not dilated and it would probably be two weeks before I went into labor. When I got to the hospital early the next morning I was dilated 2cm. I was at 10 cm in an hour and a half. Not every labor and not every woman's body is the same. My cervix is such a procrastinator!

eta: I agree with trying to wait it out. Induction, using medications or natural remedies, does not tend to work unless your body is ready.

Edited by Mrs Mungo

My only C section was after an induction that didn't work. Now that I look back I wish I would have left, gone home and rested until my body was ready. Unless there is a true medical reason for induction I suggest waiting. Drink lots of water, walk if you feel up to it and let nature take its course. Every single one of my kids were 9-14+ days over due.

Here is a few things that may help:

<snip>

evening primrose oil rubbed on cervix

<snip>

If you carry Group B Strep, it often lives at the entrance of the vagina, away from the cervix. If you leave the cervix alone, the risk of infection (from any pathogen) is low. As soon as you start messing with the cervix, the chance of infection increases.

Even "natural" things like EPO can increase infection risk. Paraphrasing the Texas motto: "Don't mess with the cervix!" ;-)

Lisa

P.S. The reason I'm so adamant about this is that I was a former Group B Strep Assn. board member.

I agree with leaving your cervix alone. May I ask why you were induced anyway? Was there a medical reason? Induction is very rarely necessary. Better let nature take its course.

If you had no reason to induce, I would just leave it be. Relax, conserve energy, enjoy the last few days/weeks of your pregnancy. When you start having contractions that are increasingly longer, stronger, and closer together, and coming within five minutes, go to your hospital (if you live within 20 min of a hospital).

BTW, I'm a Certified Childbirth Educator ;)

So, I was induced and it failed. I'm 3 cm dilated but the baby is too high and my cervix isn't thinning.

When were you due? When you say induced......pitocin? cervadil? broke your water?

Fwiw, there is no connection between the D&C and the current situation.

Castor oil, while icky, will likely be very effective - it may not start labor on the first try, but it will help your cervix out significantly.

Be sure you're getting optimal amounts of vitamin d, calcium, magnesium and zinc. All have significant actions on muscle - especially D.

in multips, it's common to have a baby that's 'high and floating' *until labor starts*. whereas in primips, it's really really helpful to have a baby that's engage to help that cervix get started.

K

How late are you?

I was induced 2x; once on the due date...that failed, and about 15 hours later, they sent me home. The second was two weeks later...two days into that, I was still only dilated 3cm. I did have an er c-sect by the 3rd day, though.

If you are not all that late (the original due date could have ultimately been wrong), and you can do it, I would think waiting it out would be the best option.

I feel very sorry for you. Some of us may say do this and others disagree, and then others disagree with all of them.

Someone recommended castor oil but didn't say how much to use. I have a friend who used it and it put her baby in fetal distress.

Another friend was induced and it failed. She just waited, that was her 5th.

I would drink red raspberry leaf tea, steep it covered for a half hour, big ol' spoonful of honey.

Where are the midwives of the forum?

There is no mechanism by which castor oil could cause fetal distress.

What is true:

1)castor oil doesn't absorb through the intestines at all

2)castor oils action is soley via 'irritation' of the intestines....the resulting irritation causes contractions

3)castor oil is more likely to to be used by women who are post dates

4)babies who are post dates are more likely experience fetal distress for a variety of reasons

5)some babies who are post dates are post dates because cord issues and positional issues are effectively preventing descent - in those issues, descent would be harmful to the fetus by pinching the cord between the fetal skull or other bone and mom's pelvis.

6)stimulating contractions (via castor oil, pitocin, ROM) can all result in fetal distress *contractions* cause the baby distress.

It's not the castor oil. The castor oil is simply simply the 'red herring'.

RRL tea will not - will not in any way stimulate contractions. RRL tea provides some trace minerals that can support what will happen naturally but it will not cause or encourage contractions. Women can take RRL tea at any time during pregnancy and not risk contractions.

Best,

Katherine

The only way to force a baby out that is not ready to be born is to cut them out... no induction method will work if baby really isn't ready. I am another vote for wait unless there is a pressing reason. My first was 16 days late... castor oil and all the other ideas didn't do a THING. I vote against castor oil... NASTY stuff and a waste of my time since it didn't help and won't unless you are ready to go into labor anyway!

There is no mechanism by which castor oil could cause fetal distress.

What is true:

1)castor oil doesn't absorb through the intestines at all

2)castor oils action is soley via 'irritation' of the intestines....the resulting irritation causes contractions

3)castor oil is more likely to to be used by women who are post dates

4)babies who are post dates are more likely experience fetal distress for a variety of reasons

5)some babies who are post dates are post dates because cord issues and positional issues are effectively preventing descent - in those issues, descent would be harmful to the fetus by pinching the cord between the fetal skull or other bone and mom's pelvis.

6)stimulating contractions (via castor oil, pitocin, ROM) can all result in fetal distress *contractions* cause the baby distress.

It's not the castor oil. The castor oil is simply simply the 'red herring'.

RRL tea will not - will not in any way stimulate contractions. RRL tea provides some trace minerals that can support what will happen naturally but it will not cause or encourage contractions. Women can take RRL tea at any time during pregnancy and not risk contractions.

Best,

Katherine

Like I said, we all have differing opinions, experience, knowledge. Thank you, Katherine, for explaining everything. However, I didn't say RRL tea would stimulate, cause or encourage contractions. :001_smile:

I had a similar situation, this solution worked for me, but I suspect your doctors may not try it due to your litigious medical environment.

I had been induced with that stuff they stick on your cervix. I had contractions, but due to lots of amniotic fluid, baby was high up and not engaged. The doctors stuck a lure in my hand (for urgent general anaesthesia should it be needed) and had a theatre empty in case of cord prolapse. I had the midwife pushing M down into my pelvis from the top, and the doctor with both hands up there stopping the fluid coming out too quick, then they broke my water, midwife pushed DD into pelvis, OB kept hands up to stop rush of fluid. All went well (though excruciating) and DD was born 40 mins later, no drugs and no extra help needed. The only other option was c-section and I was very willing to try this before we went for that.

I guess the difference though was that the induction had worked in that I was in labour, just it wasn't moving DD down and I was 15 days overdue, and they wouldn't let me go further.