Menu

Poll: What worked for you regarding dieting and weight loss?

What worked for you regarding dieting and weight loss?  

1. 1. What worked for you regarding dieting and weight loss?

• Increased exercise alone worked for me
    • Following a specific diet plan worked for me
    • Increased exercise coupled with eating less (no diet plan) did the trick
    • Increased exercise coupled with a specific diet plan was my solution
    • Nothing I've ever tried has been successful long term
    • I've never needed to diet
    • I need (not a high school delusion) to diet but never have
    • None of the above

ETA: This isn't really about dieting. (Wish I could edit the visible subject line). It's about what works or worked for YOU with regard to WEIGHT and SHAPE maintenance. I'm hoping even people who aren't really dieting/dieters, etc. will respond. There's a poll option for everyone (pretty much :)).

There are SO many angles to this topic that I'm sure to get just the tip of the Twinkie here. But, for the first time in my entire life (Well, save a bizarre few months during high school when I started eating copious amounts of popcorn and *gasp* jogging in an attempt to lose weight. I had zero reason to do that, but high school can have that effect on young girls.), I am considering dieting. It's all the fault of JennifersLost. :D That and turning 40...ahem!...a whole five years ago.

So I'm trying to figure out how to go about this thing. I am very fortunate that I don't need to lose a lot (10 -15 lbs would be dandy). Even if I lost no weight but simply solidified what I've got, I'd be pretty satisfied. I already eat well. Not a lot of junk in my life. I plan to increase and "systematize" my exercise program. But, that's about the extent of my plan. So, based on your experiences, what works best. If you care to share more details about your dieting experiences, please do.

Doran

I lost 30lbs last year getting my butt in gear and out the door every day for 1 hr I did a walk to run program. I also drank more water cut back on bread, sugars, etc. I stopped eating after dinner or after 6P if I was very hungry. I did this all on my own. It was just time to get this weight off once and for all NO EXCUSES!!!!

There are SO many angles to this topic that I'm sure to get just the tip of the Twinkie here. But, for the first time in my entire life (Well, save a bizarre few months during high school when I started eating copious amounts of popcorn and *gasp* jogging in an attempt to lose weight. I had zero reason to do that, but high school can have that effect on young girls.), I am considering dieting. It's all the fault of JennifersLost. :D That and turning 40...ahem!...a whole five years ago.

So I'm trying to figure out how to go about this thing. I am very fortunate that I don't need to lose a lot (10 -15 lbs would be dandy). Even if I lost no weight but simply solidified what I've got, I'd be pretty satisfied. I already eat well. Not a lot of junk in my life. I plan to increase and "systematize" my exercise program. But, that's about the extent of my plan. So, based on your experiences, what works best. If you care to share more details about your dieting experiences, please do.

Doran

Eat less, move more. It's that easy.

Ok, so it's not easy, but it's worth it.

I started moving, and started eating less and lost somewhere over 80 pounds. I'm still not skinny, by any means, but I'm happy. I wouldn't mind losing another 20, but I am content right now. I lost it all in 2006, and have kept it off so far.

As far as firming up--Judo has firmed up my upper body, and I'm-pretty-sure-you-don't-want-to-hear-this, but running is toning up my legs like they haven't been toned since I was a Freshman in highschool. Walking the same distance, doing walk-at-home videos, and doing Judo didn't tone them like they are now.

eat better and exercise more

I've been blessed with great genetics, but there were times in my life (postpartum) that I needed to lose a few extra pounds. Forcing myself to walk around the block and choosing fruit instead of ice cream really worked. I also implemented a work out video regime. I really wanted to nap but felt much better if I "worked out". My children laughed at me but eventually they joined me. I'm sure there are better options than Kathy Lee's Fit and Fabulous :willy_nilly:but I was too cheep to buy a new one.

I chose 'None of the above' because I'm a believer in Weight Watchers, but it is not a diet program. It's more of a healthy body plan. They teach portion control, good food choices, and exercising. I exercise very little, maybe once a week and have lost 18 lbs. in 13 weeks. I don't deprive myself of anything I want including my favorites, i.e. sweet treats and breads. Portion control and better choices have been great for me.

I chose 'None of the above' because I'm a believer in Weight Watchers, but it is not a diet program. It's more of a healthy body plan. They teach portion control, good food choices, and exercising. I exercise very little, maybe once a week and have lost 18 lbs. in 13 weeks. I don't deprive myself of anything I want including my favorites, i.e. sweet treats and breads. Portion control and better choices have been great for me.

Because you are working with a teaching program, I would still have called that a specific diet program. I'm not sure I understand the difference, really. IOW, following the guidelines of WW is a program, albeit one that gives you a lot of control over your choices. Is that incorrect?

Doran

I voted "specific diet plan", but would have liked to choose both that and "exercise alone" (because they weren't coupled). I initially lost almost as much weight as I wanted to by dieting. I exercised moderately too, but that didn't seem to help at all in the weight loss. Then, after I lost that amount of weight (leaving me about 10 pounds heavier than I really wanted to be), I maintained that weight for several years (pretty much by diet alone -- again, moderate exercise didn't seem to help there). Then, I took a job that had me on my feet for 8 hours a day. I immediately lost those 10 extra pounds.

Moderate exercise just doesn't help me lose weight. I'm pretty sure that if I stopped working, or switched to a desk job, I'd put those 10 pounds back on. I just wouldn't have time in my day to do enough exercise for it to really affect my weight.

I, too, struggle with 10-15 lbs. that creep up over the winter months. I've found that increased exercise in the spring helps (getting out for walks, digging the garden, bike rides, dancing more), but I lose weight more quickly if I also limit dairy products for awhile. Portion control is hard for me, so I just don't buy it. It's easier to use the self-control at the grocery store than it is once it's already in my fridge!

that worked for me was to quit dieting. Seriously. I'd been heavy for so long yo-yo-ing all over the place with diet after diet. I finally quit dieting.

I did change two things about my habits, though. First, I would look up what was supposed to be a "normal" sized portion and I only put that much on my plate. After a while, I got used to what normal portions look like. I didn't eliminate any foods, and I didn't eschews seconds, but it was surprising to me how I was almost always perfectly sated by normal portions.

The second thing was to engage in physical activity every day. I've never had a set exercise routine, but I did make room in my day to MOVE for an hour total (broken up into 3x a day). Since most of the work I do is at a computer or desk, it is easy to become a lump. I just made sure to commit to movement daily. I started by going outside to play with ds. I still can't keep up with the kid, but I certainly have more energy than before. I also came to enjoy hiking (something I loathed before) and I even enjoyed mucking out the barn when we still had livestock.

FWIW, it took me over 3 years but I lost more than 100 pounds and have kept in off for over 6 years now. I'm still a very curvy gal, but that's the way I'm made and I adore my body for all it is and all it does for me.

since homeschooling I find I don't get much exercise at all. so I have put a little on, so this is what I do.

I try not to eat between meals, have a smaller dinner plate, so it looks full etc. I am not overweight, just have that look of having had lots of children, that flabby stomach look. so the latest thing I am trying is wearing a corset to pull the flab in and I feel marvelous, all my clothes fit better, I feel better about how I look, and one other benefit is I feel full. not hungry at all,

MelissaL

So I'm trying to figure out how to go about this thing. I am very fortunate that I don't need to lose a lot (10 -15 lbs would be dandy). Even if I lost no weight but simply solidified what I've got, I'd be pretty satisfied. Doran

Based on what you wrote, it sounds like there are 2 different issues, which in my experience, requires different methods.

To answer your poll question, I chose "exercise more and eat less" because that is what worked for me - I lost about 45 lbs after my ds was born and went from a size 12 to a 4/6. After I got a severe case of mono, I couldn't work out at the gym anymore for about 2 years because of lack of energy, so I simply continued to eat less, typically with calories less than 1000 a day. That may seem really low, but I wasn't exercising, so there was no reason to eat more than that. And in fact, that brought me up to a solid size 6, making 4's very difficult to fit into, LOL.

However, you have another aspect which is toning or firming (solidifying I believe is what you said). This requires something all together different. I don't know what it is though, I only know it has to be something other than exercise and a decrease in calories because those things didn't help tone me, LOL.

I'm sure that exercise is what will tone, but it's probably area-specific exercises, whereas I usually limit myself to cardio (the elliptical) and arm weights. This pregnancy so far, while I haven't put on as much weight as I did with my other 2, has given me cellulite issues like no other and I have NO CLUE how to deal with it after he's born, LOL. SO if you figure out how to tone, let me know asap! :001_smile:

However, you have another aspect which is toning or firming (solidifying I believe is what you said). This requires something all together different. I don't know what it is though, I only know it has to be something other than exercise and a decrease in calories because those things didn't help tone me, LOL.

I think it can work, but it might have to be varied and targeted. Last summer, when I was walking/running like a trooper but not changing my eating habits at all, I didn't see any change. I'd like to say I felt more energetic, but even that wasn't particularly true. I just felt about the same, to be honest. I don't feel bad on a regular basis, so feeling the same wasn't terrible. Just kind of a let down, kwim?

I've done some reading and some asking around, and what I believe now is that you've got to do a bit of everything. Yes, you'll lose weight if you cut down on certain types of foods, or reduce quantities. But, you won't tone. You'll tone if you exercise in certain ways. That's why I'm hoping to add in some kind of weight program alongside the changes in eating. I'm not able to join the YMCA right now, so I'm planning on just hand and ankle weights in an every other day routine. That's my goal, anyhow. From what I've learned, a weight program is better than anything else for really regaining muscle tone (not to mention bone mass).

How are you and bambino these days, anyway? When's your due date?:tongue_smilie:

Doran

Yes, I agree, which is why I said it would probably have to be area specific, which I don't usually do - doing mainly cardio and some arm weights. However, where my cellulite is from this pregnancy is in the butt and to be area specific with that would require me to go to the gym, lay flat on my belly on one of those leg lift machines and lift my legs to my butt, which usually means my butt also lifts in the air. This is not a pretty picture, nor one I'd like to put on display at the gym, kwim, LOL?

It sounds like you already know the answer to your questions!

Summer is coming and an excellent time to put them into practice what with all the wonderful fresh fruits and veggies and summertime walks! That's what I'm counting on (and I'll just squeeeeeze as I walk and no one will have to be put off by my butt flyin' high!)

Bambino is doing great - very active, very strong. Likes to make me contract, LOL. And I'm due in 6 weeks. But I prefer to think it'll be in 4 weeks, because that is when I am technically considered "full term". I'm sure you join me in wishing for that, don't you? DON'T YOU?

Bambino is doing great - very active, very strong. Likes to make me contract, LOL. And I'm due in 6 weeks. But I prefer to think it'll be in 4 weeks, because that is when I am technically considered "full term". I'm sure you join me in wishing for that, don't you? DON'T YOU?

Wishwishwishwishwishwish. HUNH! Wishwishwishwishwishwish. HUNH! Those are wishing butt lifts I'm doing there. I hear they're great for cellulite. :lol:

Doran

About 5 years ago I did WW and lost 55 pounds. Soon after that, I got pg with my third dc. After having gestational diabetes during pg, I gained over 100 pounds. It was awful! I never did re-join WW but have gotten to within 20 pounds of where I was. At the weight I was when I got pg, I was having to focus all my energy on myself, all day long to maintain that. I feel very comfortable where I'm at now. I've maintained this weight for a year now.

It truly depends on your body, what will work. My dear friend who joined WW with me worked ten times as hard as I did but would only lose a pound a week as opposed to my easy-peasy time at it, losing 3-7 pounds a week. I could eat extra after exercising and still lose w/o problems. Each body works so differently.

The biggest help though in most people I've seen is to cut out sugar. It's in everything. If you think you eat healthy, check again. Most packaged foods have some sugar in them. If you've tried and tried to cut out junk but are still finding you're on a plateau, check those sugar/carb grams.

Because you are working with a teaching program, I would still have called that a specific diet program. I'm not sure I understand the difference, really. IOW, following the guidelines of WW is a program, albeit one that gives you a lot of control over your choices. Is that incorrect?

Doran

The way most people use the word diet (which is the word you used in the poll and in your post) implies it's a temporary thing that has an end goal. It's very common for people to go on a diet, lose weight, return to the same way they were eating before the diet, and regain the weight back, if not more. Weight Watchers is very clear that their program is not temporary and if used in that way, will not work in the long term. So while some people might use WW like a diet, I do not personally look at it that way. I honestly am not dieting, not in the sense that I see other people diet. I am not following a diet plan.

I don't exercise because I don't enjoy it. I understand that if I exercise more, I'll lose more weight, but to me that's still a temporary thing. I know I won't always exercise and when I stop I'll likely put on weight again. When I was doing TaeKwonDo, I was in the best shape I had ever been in. I did that for 2 years and then quit. I gained 15 pounds in the first year and 20 pounds in the next year. I think it would be silly of me to exercise for the sole purpose of losing weight if I don't intend to exercise the rest of my life. For me, that's as nonsensical as dieting.

...but since you kindly allowed for a full spectrum of answers, I'll chime in. I voted for "I've never needed to diet". That is to say, I've never had issues with bein overweight. Good health of course goes beyond appearances, and cutting back on sweets would only be to my benefit. And there were times, post-partum, when I was more conscientious about increased activity and decreased consumption. I have no doubt that as I get older, I will need to exert more concerted effort if I want to stay somewhat "toned". I don't advocate following specific "diet plans". I realize it's easy for me to say that, given this isn't a trouble area for me. But America's love affair with diet plans does not impress me.

Edited to add...I was just reading a reply below in which someone mentions not eating in the evening/at night. This is another one of those oft-cited American diet "rules", imo. I would never go in for flat-out not eating at night. I'm not saying following that habit isn't beneficial for some people, but I don't consider it of utmost import.

I think a more accurate description is "increased exercise working the entire body by alternating strength/weight training and med-high intensity aerobic workouts AND eating more wisely." The latter may mean eating less, but that's kind of misleading...I don't count calories, but try to eat balanced meals, wiser foods and portion sizes and I cut out late night snacking. That's the key combination for me!

I don't "diet", though, and feel that the increased exercise is the more important factor in my weight loss! :)

My weight has been slowly increasing since I started having kids. Last year it hit an all-time high, so I decided to do something it about it. After trying a couple of things that didn't work, I finally found a combination that did the trick last fall. I stopped eating after 7pm (that's when I do most of my emotional eating) and walked for 30 minutes at least 4-5 times a week. I dropped 10 pounds in about 6 weeks. To maintain this I still walk 4 days a week, and I don't eat after 9pm now, but I really try to limit the sweets past 7pm. Of course, this doesn't always work; I did a little PMS eating the night before last that involved many forms of sweets, but I'll compensate for that with an extra walk this week.

Doing a 20 minute walk/run daily on the treadmill helped, but what really put it over the top for me was when I stopped eating at night. I used to have a glass of wine in the evening, and of course I had to have a bit of cheese, and maybe a few chips with it... :) I cut that out, and dropped about ten pounds with no other changes.

I lost 20 lbs. 5 years ago with Slim in 6 before I got pg with my dd. It isn't a gimmick, it is a great work out! It did it all. Good cardio, strength, and toning. I haven't gotten myself back into the groove yet to do it again, but I want to because I know it worked. I liked Slim in 6 because it had everything in it and I didn't have to do seperate workouts for cardio and toning and I did it without leaving my house. The way I did it was watch my calories, choose better/healthier food, and do the videos/dvds 6 days a week. The plan isn't this wacky, hard to follow eating plan. It's just normal foods, but they encourage to make better food choices. I plan on doing it again, but not go at it so intense like before. I followed the program to a T and I lost 20 lbs. in 6 weeks and was toned. I was intense. This time, I'll not be so intense and just do it because I need to do better for myself and not worry about a time frame. I felt great after the work out! Yes, I was very sore for a few days once I started, but after the first 2-3 weeks, you can tell your body is stronger and more toned. I could climb up my stairs easier and I didn't even know it was diffcult before. I could just tell my body was healthier. So, that's what worked for me and now I've got to do it again.

This has been very helpful. It's interesting that the "increased exercise and eating less - no diet plan" is the lead answer, if only by a smidge over "increased exercise and eating less with a diet plan" That gives me a confidence boost, because that is precisely what I'm planning here. I have to admit that it feels like I'm making a big deal out of nothing. But, this is a new adventure for me, to go at this with so much intention. I appreciate the input.

Let the party begin! eatdrink033.gif

Doran

Guest Virginia Dawn

I don't get much exercise. What works best for me is an eating routine and limiting snacking to only a few acceptable items. However, even though I know what works for me, I don't always do it.

Anyway, to keep the pounds I don't want off I would have to eat this way:

Breakfast: a bowl of Branflakes or oatmeal or other whole grain cereal that is not full of fat or sugar, with raisins or a piece of fruit, and milk. No sugar added.

Lunch: Vegetable soup; whole grain crackers with cheese, or tortilla chips with melted cheese, or half a sandwich on whole wheat bread with lean meat and/or cheese- no butter or mayo.

Midday snack: pretzels, popcorn made in the whirly pop with very little oil, yogurt, or fruit. Sometimes if I'm feeling like I just must have chocolate, I make homemade chocolate pudding.

Dinner: I eat whatever I make for the family, but I eat off a smaller plate than everyone else. I make sure my veggies portions are larger than my meat and starches, and I am only allowed to take seconds of veggies.

After dinner: It is really best if I don't have anything else for the day, but if that doesn't work I allow myself to have the same thing that I would have for a midday snack. After 8 o'clock eating is dangerous to the waistline.

So then what do I do when dh brings home a bag of chunky chips-ahoy? Don't ask.

After dinner: It is really best if I don't have anything else for the day, but if that doesn't work I allow myself to have the same thing that I would have for a midday snack. After 8 o'clock eating is dangerous to the waistline.

This I think is a big pitfall for me. I don't eat mountains of snacks after dinner, or dessert even so much. But, during my farming years, I got in the habit of working really late (mostly because I wasn't self disciplined enough to start my day really early). That meant dinner was late. Not to mention that dh often doesn't get home until after 7:00. So, we eat late dinners around here. That's no good.

So then what do I do when dh brings home a bag of chunky chips-ahoy? Don't ask.

Please refer to Exhibit A

:D

Doran

I did Body For Life with the meal plan and exercising and got to almost my ideal weight but I was hungry all the time.

Now, I am doing Weight Watchers and not exercising yet. I've lost quite a bit and I am not hungry. I get enough to eat without giving up my favorite snacks. :001_smile:

In the past I've done low carb and lost 40 lbs. Now I've gained most of it back. :confused:. I've started keeping track of steps while wearing a pedometer, my goal is 10k a day. I've also cut out pork, breads and wheat and cut back on sugar.

I eat more smaller meals throughout the day that way I'm never starving. I also never skip breakfast.

Last spring I was determined to get into better shape and like you I began with just exercise, although I added drinking water and some nutritional supplements. I noticed toning after several weeks, but no actual weight loss for about two months. I did eventually cut back the dinner glass of wine to weekends only and tried to further cut sugar and white flour. I almost reached my goal, but then "frigid fall" followed by "where's my blanket" winter rolled in and now I have to begin again. The wind here can be fierce and I have great difficulty with my asthma when it is. :mellow:

I avoid: white flour, red meat and poultry, all dairy products, sugar, trans fats, artificial colors and flavors, corn syrup, artificial sweeteners such as Splenda, and as many things processed as I possibly can.

My husband teases me about my feelings about corn syrup being the root of all evil.

I run at least 5 miles a day, 6 x a week, most of the time. I have practiced yoga in the past but am not doing it now. I miss it and my body was never in as good a shape as it was when I was practicing regularly, I think it is the best thing a person can do. I have started weight training again. I don't enjoy it but I find that I need it at my age to keep any sort of shape whatsoever. ;)

I don't: count calories, worry about fat intake, limit carbs except for after 5 pm.

I drink a lot of tea with fresh lemon, a ton of water, and about a pot of coffee in the morning. I do drink dark beer once a week or so with my husband after our long run. :D