Menu

A little grossed out by library books (germ related :-)...

I've never had a problem with germs on my library books, but I'm one of those people who likes germs because they build healthy immune systems in the long run. What does gross me out is when you turn the page of a library book, and find something stuck there that you just KNOW is a booger. *shudder* Yuck. I've had that happen more times than I care to think about.

I thought I was the only one!

ETA that I forgot to say that I love the smell of libraries and old books too :lol: DH will occasionally find me sniffing the centers of old books and shake his head at me :D It's like eau de knowledge or something...

:iagree:

Hm. I'm not a germophobe. Therefore, I have done many, many, many things in life that were FAR more germy than checking out library books. Truly, the least of my worries.

Youngest once crouched in the middle of the sidewalk outside the library. I got a little closer and heard him saying a prayer :001_huh: Then he reached down, grabbed something and popped it into his mouth :blink: Older ds says, "It's okay Mom, he blessed it first." It was gum :ack2:

I do not worry about library books.

Not about to be scared of germs on library books. I don't think they survive.

Now, hotel bedspreads gross me out, big-time. And the carpets, too.

:iagree:completely.

I am on immunosuppressants and I never thought about this at all. But now considering this, I think it is a silly fear. MOst bacteria and viruses need proper climates to survive. The reason there is a concern about doorknobs, kitchens, and faucet handles is because they are used very shortly after the offending bacteria or virus gets on them. When the AIDS epidemic first arose, there was lots of talk of how you get it. COncerns were about bathrooms, doorknobs, etc. It turns out that the AIDS virus is very fragile but Hepatitis is not. IT can survive for a few hours on a surface. THat was the strong virus that was in contrast to the weak virus. A library book is not handled by a sick child than immediately coming in contact with you unless you are the parent. I would wager that there are probably days apart and the offending germs do not survive in your unhospitable environment for that long.

I also can't understand why fixate on library books rather than on places where people have just been to the bathroom than come back and touch things- museums, amusement parks, stores, etc.

I really didn't realize that there were so many people obsessed with germs. I thought it was fairly rare since I have only met one or two in my life.

Really? I love that smell. Happy memories, I guess. But then, I like the smell of moldy basements, too, for some demented reason. I think I have a few wires crossed or something. :tongue_smilie:

:iagree: It is some childhood, comfort memory or maybe some wires crossed...but ...me too. Library books mmmmmmmmmmmm!

~~Faithe

:D You know, it wasn't until I got to this board that I ever found anyone else who purposely smelled the insides of books. I was so glad to find out I wasn't alone. I was teased mercilessly in high school because someone caught me doing it one day in class. I ALWAYS KNEW I COULDN'T BE THE ONLY ONE, DARN IT!!! :lol:

i do that too lol

Well, I guess the Kindle has a whole demographic I never even considered.

Definitely true for me. I think my DH got way more than he bargained for when he surprised me with a kindle at Christmas. Getting them from the library was faster than shipping from Amazon, but now the Kindle beats that since I can get a book immediately without taking a step beyond my Kindle. :)

SOOO....what IS that smell???? Does anyone know?

I sure wish I could smell the same odor that other people here are saying smells good. I have old books and there is an old musty bookish odor about them that is quite pleasant. It's similar to my fondness for pipe smoke because my dad smoked pipes when I was a little girl. But no, the smell in the library books I get now is a different odor altogether. Not all the books in the library have that odor. When I encounter one though, I put it back on the shelf. It literally makes me gag.

I'm afraid of germs, true, but not to the point that it debilitates my life. I hold onto a grocery cart and pull items off the shelves without even thinking about it. But I wash my hands as soon as I get home because they just feel dirty. Library books are gross. Park equipment is gross. Grocery carts are gross. Public bathrooms are gross. When I can avoid those things, I will do so. I don't think it makes any sense to purposefully stick my skin where those things are just to make sure I keep up a healthy immune system. Now, people who stay home all the time just to avoid germs are a different story. It's just not the same.

Now here would be a great, real-life science experiment. Take a culture of your doornobs, refrigerator door handle, your phone, your keyboard, even your hands and compare that to a culture from a library book. I can almost guarantee that most surfaces in your home have more bacteria than a library book. We did this earlier this year as part of our science club. It was very enlightening. We come in contact with far more germs in our everyday environment than we would in a library book. A book is just not a good medium for keeping germs alive.

Okay, if germs freak you out, maybe you shouldn't do this:).

Wow ladies! I didn't think this post would get much response :-)! I feel better now :001_smile:! I have to say I was not a germaphobe until I had children. I kept us somewhat isolated the first year and a half and then started exposing them more and more. They are in private preschool and play with other kids so they do get exposed. For some reason, the library books and the thought of where they've been (i.e. the bathroom) just gross me out. Also, opening a page and seeing dried whatever is gross. Of course the boys either touch it or try to touch it before I can stop them and ask "What's that mommy?" YUCK!!!

I have been collecting books for them (from the Sonlight reading list) at the used book store and they are in good shape. I'm still wiping down the covers :D. I will also buy some new books for them -- espcially the classics that I want to have around anyway. These are my only two though so I won't have books to pass down to other kids so it makes sense for me to use the library. I have access to two different counties library systems so can get most any book I need.

I never gave germs on books a second thought until a couple of years ago and it became known to me that it's quite popular for people I know who have sick kids to borrow books from the library while their children are sick.

Now, I'm not talking colds. I'm talking, "my child is vomiting violently and is so sick I don't want them touching our books so I sent my dh to the library to get some for them." :001_huh: What?? :svengo: I know *many* people who do this.

This is just plain gross! People are so inconsiderate!!!

I don't know how to double quote yet, but I am also grossed out by hotel bedspreads and carpets -- and remote controls! I don't think I want to know about the Bibles in the hotels.

I didn't think the post would take this turn, but I also love the smell of the library and the books -- just prefer not to touch them :lol:.

Special thanks to those germaphobes that came forward in this post!!!

Mendy

I sure wish I could smell the same odor that other people here are saying smells good. I have old books and there is an old musty bookish odor about them that is quite pleasant. It's similar to my fondness for pipe smoke because my dad smoked pipes when I was a little girl. But no, the smell in the library books I get now is a different odor altogether. Not all the books in the library have that odor. When I encounter one though, I put it back on the shelf. It literally makes me gag.

You have a very discerning sniffer:D

I expect children's books to be germy, but what really grosses me out is when I'm reading along in an adult book, turn a page and find... er, something nasty. Like someone needed a tissue, but didn't want to be bothered getting up. REVOLTING.