Menu

The beauty of homeschooling rediscovered

Sometimes we get bogged down just trying to get through another day of work, school and keeping house. Little things start to get to us, we are easily frustrated and nothing looks better than bedtime.

Then we get a little glimpse of the beauty of this lifestyle and it feels so refreshing.

This weekend I was reminded that our work and school schedules are flexible enough that our sons are able to participate in our business and they are beginning to love what we do.

Hunter asked to use Dad's camera and 'big lens' to photograph Dad umpiring a Little League game on Sunday afternoon. He enjoyed every minute of it, and made some excellent images, too.

Hunter.jpg

Have you had any such reminders lately?

Yes...i wish I knew how to upload some pix....like my ds's pulling and repairing our well pump....learned how from Dad and di an awesome job...and today they were at my oldest ds's friends house installing a handicapped accessible toilet for ds's friend who had a horrific accident that left him paralyzed from the neck down....If they weren't home and able to leanr those skills from their dad, they would not be able to be such a blessing to us and their friends. Sometimes that gets lost in the piles of books.

My little boys are busy outside, now that spring is here...and jsut being boys. There is plenty of time to learn facts and figures...but they will never be little again. Now is the time for frogs and snails and puppy dog tails...and freedom to run and play and swing and enjoy themselves.

~~Faithe

OOH!!! I did it...I uploaded an image...YAY!

post-219-13535083468283_thumb.jpg

post-219-13535083468283_thumb.jpg

I am daily reminded now that my daughter had a traumatic experience in private school last fall; she was attending school for the first time and was so overwhelmed with a combination of both boredom and stress from the amount of homework, plus having mono on top of that, that she had a breakdown. Ever since I am grateful for the fact that bringing her back home has allowed her to regain her enthusiasm for learning. Last night she was telling me about the current book she's reading and was literally jumping up and down in excitement as she told me (and she's fourteen!). Today she's working at the stables where she rides, which in contrast gives her this deep, Zen-like calm. I am so grateful for both -- neither of which was accessible to her at school.

I have reverse tale. When my dds were in PS, my uncle was in town and my mother wanted to do stuff all together. Over a period of 3 weeks, we went to the natural history museum, which has a great childrens section where we disected owl poop, a space section where we played with sand and water and watched it "errode", we went to the butterfly museum, we went to the wildlife museum, we took my uncle in for his chemo treatments and read pamphlets on cancer and chemo.

I got a strongly worded letter about how much school my child had missed and how she may not be able to move forward if she missed any more that year.

Lara

Thanks for this thread. I have a cold, and I just want to sleep curled up in a ball. Every sound coming from the kids is like a stab in my head. So I've been sitting here wishing the kids were in school.

Then I realized that I'd have no one home to entertain and play with the toddler while I suffer on the couch. *That* would be horrible!

So they have had a day of play and survival skills without mom.

I have reverse tale. When my dds were in PS, my uncle was in town and my mother wanted to do stuff all together. Over a period of 3 weeks, we went to the natural history museum, which has a great childrens section where we disected owl poop, a space section where we played with sand and water and watched it "errode", we went to the butterfly museum, we went to the wildlife museum, we took my uncle in for his chemo treatments and read pamphlets on cancer and chemo.

I got a strongly worded letter about how much school my child had missed and how she may not be able to move forward if she missed any more that year.

Lara

My dad would frequently take us out of school to do things like take the dog to the vet and such. He says, "Don't let school get in the way of an education."

We are having a great day that reminded me again of why I homeschool. Teaching dd math concepts and watching the light go on. Adding a harder element to dictation and seeing her accomplish it without hardship. Watching another dd devour books. Laughing at silly mistakes. Struggling through some tougher things but learning it in the end. It's all adding up to what we hoped for in the beginning 6 years ago. Nothing fancy, no major field trips or special activities. Just feeling good about daily life and doing that daily lfe together.

We had one of those moments this morning. I fulfilled my role as "human traffic cone" during ds#2's riding lesson and again for ds#3. They were learning so much and thoroughly enjoying themselves. I thought about how hard it would be to fit this in if they were in PS and how wonderful it was that we didn't have to do any school work when we got home. The sky was bright blue, the sun was shining, the horses were happy, and except for the fact that boys could not move their hips without practically dislocating their shoulders, everything was right with the world!

Seriously, I made the boys come home and attempt to hoola-hoop on the Wii! Oh my goodness, totally hysterical! So much for steering a horse from the hips! I guess their trainer will have to give up on that!

If I hadn't haaaaaaaaddddddddd to mail the state taxes in, the day would have been perfect.

Faith

After our spelling lesson today, ds7 took the pink marker and the whiteboard and drew a scene party--complete with presents, balloons, and a big cake. The stick figure had a balloon over him that said, "Happy I Love Mom Day!"

That is SO sweet.

For us it was November when my fil was dying. Ds was able to take the time out of schoolwork and spend time with his grandfather. He didn't have to make up schoolwork or worry about what he was missing. Grandpa was the important thing.

He also spent a day helping my dh make his father's casket The night fil died, ds spent hours with my dad (dh was with his mom) and no one had to worry about getting up for school in the morning.

Those were the truly important things.

Oh, gosh. What a beautiful experience.

For us it was November when my fil was dying. Ds was able to take the time out of schoolwork and spend time with his grandfather. He didn't have to make up schoolwork or worry about what he was missing. Grandpa was the important thing.

He also spent a day helping my dh make his father's casket The night fil died, ds spent hours with my dad (dh was with his mom) and no one had to worry about getting up for school in the morning.

I am moved to tears by this.

I am so sorry for your family's loss, but what a beautiful memory.

Thank you for this reminder. I have really not been feeling the joy lately. Now that you mention it , though, this morning we read Little Town on the Prairie. Afterward, ds asked if we could please do a spelling bee like they did in the story. How many schooled kids beg to do spelling? The kids had fun, learned something, and we ended with tickles and giggles. Sweet.

Woolybear

While dd is reading her current chapter book, she keeps running into the kitchen laughing, telling me every detail of the book with great fervor.

Today, twice, she spontaneoulsy hugged me and said, "Mommy, I'm so thankful we homeschool." DH chimed in with, "Yeah, isn't she the best teacher in the world." This was a happy dance moment for me! :D

Thank you for this thread! Despite the pollen that continuously announces its presence by arguing with my eyes, I've been thinking that the weather here in the Sonoran desert is just TOO beautiful to be spent INSIDE and yet, I've been worrying about the schoolwork that 'has to be done'. Maybe, just maybe the rest of this week and next will be spent on read-alouds and readers. Then, as the weather gets way to warm to be outside, THEN we can concentrate on the 'have-to-do'.

Yes! Yesterday it was beautifully sunny here. We took our sons fishing at a pond and middle son caught his first bass.

:001_smile:

They had a wonderful time hanging out, exploring around the pond, learning the 4 types of fish they caught, practicing casting, and enjoying the lovely weather. I sat back on the grass in the sun, and was thankful to be able to be with them.

:hurray:

:grouphug: :grouphug:

I see these moments frequently. I am so thankful that we get to be together on a daily basis. Eldest dd went to ps K, and it was so difficult to have our family split up like that. I love experiencing life and growing together, as a family.

I think I was most thankful to homeschool, though, when my mom was terminally ill last fall. She actually passed away in December. During her illness, my dds were able to help Grandma so much. They helped with her meals while she was at home (she lived with us), and they always enjoyed visiting her at the hospital when she was there. My favorite memory, though, was the way that they helped Grandma at her doctor's appointments. I would pull the car up to the office building, and my 7 & 5 year old would go in and bring a wheelchair out for my mom. We would help Grandma get in the chair, and then my girls would wheel her up to the doctor's office while I parked the car. They truly were a huge help to me during the most difficult period of my life, but what was most amazing to see was the look on the other patients' faces. The patients would smile and comment, and I knew that the scene of 2 little girls helping their grandma during the "school day" brought those folks joy. This is the way life should be -- generations helping each other and spending time together. It made me sad that the other patients had no children with them during the day. I am so thankful that we homeschool so that my dds and my mother could enjoy each other during her last weeks.

I was reminded a few weeks back when my nephew returned to school after having a serious bout of pneumonia. So far this year, he has (1) sprained his ankle (spent a few weeks on crutches); (2) sat on a school bleacher and got a 2-inch splinter in his rear end :lol:; (3) had the swine flu; and (4) then pneumonia. This is a young man with allergies, eczema, and asthma all. the. time. He lives with it. He's tough and yet my heart goes out to him. He goes back to school (9th grade) completely EXHAUSTED, and the school tells him he has THREE DAYS to make up all this missed work, or get no credit, plus keep up with his current assignments. THREE DAYS!

When I was in high school years ago, I had pneumonia one year. I went back to school in February (after missing nearly a month), and the teachers were very kind and patient. I turned in my last make-up work in May -- not three days after coming back from pneumonia.

Sorry for the sour rant, it just feels like my poor nephew is getting kicked when he's down, KWIM? Perhaps one of the beauties of HSing is that our children can heal and grow strong before we push them.

Thanks for this thread. I have a cold, and I just want to sleep curled up in a ball. Every sound coming from the kids is like a stab in my head. So I've been sitting here wishing the kids were in school.

Then I realized that I'd have no one home to entertain and play with the toddler while I suffer on the couch. *That* would be horrible!

So they have had a day of play and survival skills without mom.

:grouphug: Feel better soon! :grouphug:

:crying: I am crying. That casket was beautiful.