Menu

Comments for DD please!

I gave my 10 year old an assignment to write a poem using apostrophe. DH and I love it. She doesn't think it is good. What says the hive?

O, Cardboard Box

O, cardboard box, how glorious thou be,

With thy open-up sides all brown and dusty.

O, thou gave me space for storage and decor.

But now, cardboard box, I must sadly say,

That thou is not large enough to hold all my stuff.

I throw thee out the door for that poor recycling truck.

Edited by joannqn

I think it is great. If she doesn't like it heaping praise on won't help unless that is what she is why she says she doesn't like it. ;) Maybe if you offer her the opportunity to make changes she will feel better about it? Either way I think it is ok for kids not to like something they have done. I make sure my dd knows I love it, but I think it is ok if she doesn't.

I think it is great. If she doesn't like it heaping praise on won't help unless that is what she is why she says she doesn't like it. ;) Maybe if you offer her the opportunity to make changes she will feel better about it? Either way I think it is ok for kids not to like something they have done. I make sure my dd knows I love it, but I think it is ok if she doesn't.

Hmmm...I would have never thought to respond like this. You sound like a good friend of mine, the one I always go to for advice for handling people situations. Wanna be good friend number 2?

Hmmm...I would have never thought to respond like this. You sound like a good friend of mine, the one I always go to for advice for handling people situations. Wanna be good friend number 2?

LOL! I certainly don't consider myself an expert in handling people situations. I'm actually a little awkward in person, much better in print! :D

Apostrophe: A figure of speech in which some absent or nonexistent person or thing is addressed as if present and capable of understanding.

Wow, I've always known it as prosopopeia. I has no idea there was another meaning for apostrophe! I'm not surprised that there are two meanings for one word, but I AM surprised that they're both literary.

It's a great poem, you should be proud. You should be even prouder that she thinks she can do better and wants to live up to what she feels she can accomplish!

Wow, I've always known it as prosopopeia. I has no idea there was another meaning for apostrophe! I'm not surprised that there are two meanings for one word, but I AM surprised that they're both literary.

In prosopopeia the absent thing is doing the speaking. In apostrophe, you are speaking to the absent person or thing.

I gave my 10 year old an assignment to write a poem using apostrophe. DH and I love it. She doesn't think it is good. What says the hive?

O, Cardboard Box

O, cardboard box, how glorious thou be,

With thy open-up sides all brown and dusty.

O, thou gave me space for storage and decor.

But now, cardboard box, I must sadly say,

That thou is not large enough to hold all my stuff.

I love it!! My kids liked it too. My eldest particularly liked it, she loves organizing...and boxes! :D

I'd let her tweak ... it is her poem, after all, no matter how great everyone else likes it. (I like it, and I was also glad to learn the other meaning of apostrophe.)

I do see that in the next to last line, after 'thou' the verb should be something like 'art', not 'is'. Maybe her inner poet's ear is giving her clues like that, that she just can't pinpoint, so she thinks the whole thing is bad.

you can throw around! No wonder the girl can write poetry! :lol:

Blessings,

Julie

Well, that's just an illusion. I know apostrophe because we just covered it in our MTC poetry book. I know the other because I looked it up.

I'd let her tweak ... it is her poem, after all, no matter how great everyone else likes it. (I like it, and I was also glad to learn the other meaning of apostrophe.)

I do see that in the next to last line, after 'thou' the verb should be something like 'art', not 'is'. Maybe her inner poet's ear is giving her clues like that, that she just can't pinpoint, so she thinks the whole thing is bad.

Thanks, she was having trouble (and I was having trouble helping her) with the old English.

I think her biggest problem with it is that it doesn't rhyme. I just discovered rhyme dictionaries online so she's going to edit it with the help of one of them.

I almost started singing it to the tune of

"Oh Christmas tree"

:lol: Ok, you got singing and then my daughter did this :leaving:

You all have renewed her interest in the poem. She wants to work on it some more and get it to rhyme. Thanks!

Thanks to your suggestions, she's corrected the old english grammar and edited more to her liking...which is rhyming.

Here's the new version:

O, cardboard box, how glorious thou art,

With thy sides all dusty and falling apart.

O thou gave me space for storage and décor.

But now, cardboard box, thou can help me no more,

For thou art not large enough, oh, tough luck!

Edited by joannqn

With thou sides all dusty and falling apart.

But now, cardboard box, you can help me no more,

LOVE IT!

Even better! Cool!

(If she WANTS feedback, she can change the 'you' to a 'thou' for consistency, and then it would be 'thou canst', and 'thy sides' rather than 'thou sides'. Possibly 'gavest' rather than 'gave'.

Not that she has to change it. Just if she wants to.

The rhyming certainly adds another layer of charm to it. She's definitely got a knack for this sort of thing.

Even better! Cool!

(If she WANTS feedback, she can change the 'you' to a 'thou' for consistency, and then it would be 'thou canst', and 'thy sides' rather than 'thou sides'. Possibly 'gavest' rather than 'gave'.

Not that she has to change it. Just if she wants to.

The rhyming certainly adds another layer of charm to it. She's definitely got a knack for this sort of thing.

What she said! :iagree:on both the old english conjugations and on the knack for poetry! :iagree: Have you taught her the word "wordsmith" yet? :)

Thanks to your suggestions, she's corrected the old english grammar and edited more to her liking...which is rhyming.

Here's the new version:

With thy sides all dusty and falling apart.

But now, cardboard box, thou can help me no more,

I love it! Well done.