Menu

Indigo Girls?

I love love love their music. I have loved their music for almost 20 years (yikes ! am I that old :svengo:). When DH and I had been dating for about 6 months or so, we went to an REM concert. The Indigo Girls opened for them. Shortly thereafter, they were on the radio and we got the tape. I have loved them since then.

So tonight, the most relaxing thing: messing around on the computer while drinking a Mike's (or 2, I confess) with the Indigo Girls on.

Anyone share a love their music?

Fun! Dh got tickets to the Indigo Girls for me last year. We went to a smaller older theater for the venue. It was so awesome. I must have had the biggest stupidest grin on my face the whole night. I kept pinching myself because I couldn't believe we were actually there!

I'll have a camera, with batteries and zoom :) and the biggest grin you've ever seen.. I'm ready.. haha I cannot wait.

I love love love their music. I have loved their music for almost 20 years (yikes ! am I that old :svengo:). When DH and I had been dating for about 6 months or so, we went to an REM concert. The Indigo Girls opened for them.

Dh and I went to a Sting concert, somewhere after The Island of the Blue Turtles (?) cd, and Melissa Etheridge opened for him. This was just at the edge of when she was getting out on her own. It's cool to be in on the beginning of the wave like that.

Also love love love the Indigo Girls!:D

Amy and Emily played in tiny bars and delis in Chapel Hill and Durham when I was in grad school. My husband and I saw them (and chatted with them) in many of these intimate venues. While we were happy that they achieved their success, we were a bit sad when they became less accessible to us.

We even own their first records from the mid-80's!

Jane

Dh and I went to a Sting concert, somewhere after The Island of the Blue Turtles (?) cd, and Melissa Etheridge opened for him. This was just at the edge of when she was getting out on her own. It's cool to be in on the beginning of the wave like that.

Also love love love the Indigo Girls!:D

WOW! I love Melissa Etheridge too. It is neat to find someone at the beginning and watch them grow and still love their stuff!

Yes - I remember them. It was 1992 and I was at FSU when someone introduced me to them. Galileo was a mind trip for me! I love the Indigo Girls - very relaxing and beautiful.

Their voices are so beautiful. And the words to a number of their songs really speak to me and have deep meaning. Very therapeutic for me to listen to.

My other favorite singer during college was Tori Amos. Anybody ever heard of her, listened to her?

She's one of my step-daughter's favorite musical artists. I have listened to a little of her work, but just haven't been able to get into it. Do you have a suggestion for any particular songs I should check out?

Amy and Emily played in tiny bars and delis in Chapel Hill and Durham when I was in grad school. My husband and I saw them (and chatted with them) in many of these intimate venues. While we were happy that they achieved their success, we were a bit sad when they became less accessible to us.

We even own their first records from the mid-80's!

Jane

Very jealous of that! They have a restaurant in Atlanta area too.

Our church had an intern from the Candler School of Theology in Atlanta with us last year. Dr. Saliers, Emily's dad, is his advisor there at Emory! He told me he was going to be having dinner with him and Emily and others at their restaurant. I was so jealous of that! But then he got sick and couldn't go. Pretty neat though.

Back in 1989, I think, at Virginia Tech. It was so cool. Of course, being huge REM fans, we were all hoping Michael Stipe would show up to do his part in Kid Fears. He didn't, but a really cute guy did... I love "Closer to Fine" and "Galileo" and, well, I could just go on. And the one from the Philadelphia soundtrack...

Back in 1989, I think, at Virginia Tech. It was so cool. Of course, being huge REM fans, we were all hoping Michael Stipe would show up to do his part in Kid Fears. He didn't, but a really cute guy did... I love "Closer to Fine" and "Galileo" and, well, I could just go on. And the one from the Philadelphia soundtrack...

When they did Kid Fears as the openers for REM, Stipe did come out and do his part. The crowd went wild. It was great!

The album with Closer to Fine is my very favorite. I also adore Swamp Ophelia and their newest one too. Galileo is a great song, isn't it.

Yep!!

Love love love them too. (And REM and Tori Amos and, of course, Duran Duran... ;))

I missed seeing Indigo Girls by just a few weeks- I think they played at Davis right before I moved there to start school. :crying:

Heh, that other thread a while ago gave me the kick I needed and I just transfered my millions of Cocteau Twins cds to mp3.

Did anyone else also love the Pixies and the Breeders? Lush? Red Hot Chili Peppers?

...the less I seek my source for some definitive, the closer I am to fine...

My favorite? I think it was called "Chicken Man". Liked Galileo, too. My other favorite singer during college was Tori Amos. Anybody ever heard of her, listened to her?

Hey just gotta add....LOVE Tori Amos..still do..my accomplishment this winter was learning to play "Winter" on the piano...I'm no Tori, but it was fun!

I love love love their music. I have loved their music for almost 20 years (yikes ! am I that old :svengo:). When DH and I had been dating for about 6 months or so, we went to an REM concert. The Indigo Girls opened for them. Shortly thereafter, they were on the radio and we got the tape. I have loved them since then.

So tonight, the most relaxing thing: messing around on the computer while drinking a Mike's (or 2, I confess) with the Indigo Girls on.

Oooh, me :) I don't much care for their newer albums, but when they first came out DH and I were huge fans, and saw them several times live. They do such a FABULOUS live show! Favorites are "Closer to Fine," "Love's Recovery," "Galileo," "Three Hits," their cover of "Romeo and Juliet," "Ghost," "Strange Fire," "Crazy Game," "Land of Caanan," and, gosh, I could go on and on and on. Absolutely loved them. My best friend in college and I knew the first album by heart. She'd sing all the melodies, and I'd sing the harmonies :)

We also love Tori, and I have a couple of Pixies albums. Love REM too, but just missed them play my college campus, before they got too big to play college campuses.

I've seen them in concert twice. Once at Red Rocks Amphitheater in Denver, which is a beautiful outdoor arena carved from natural red rock in the foothills. It's got these neat natural acoustics or something, and in summer you can watch the lights of Denver start to glow as the sun sets behind you. It's an amazing place to see a concert. (We saw Dream Theater and Yes there, too.)

I also got to see the Indigo Girls in the last Lillith Fair event that Sarah MacLachlan did. (At least I think it was the last one....has she done anymore since 1999?) I got to see Sarah MacLachlan, the Indigo Girls, Sheryl Crow, and the Dixie Chicks...all in the same night.

I had seats in the 8th row.

It was the best concert I ever went to.

My sister and I went to see them about 6 years ago in New Jersey. They were awesome!

Their concerts tend to attract lesbians and a girl sitting next to us asked my sister how long we had been together.:lol: My sister told her that we were not lovers and that we were each married, to men. The girl was funny, she told us that that was OK and we could still stay for the concert.:D

What a fun night that was!

I love the Indigo Girls as well! At my old church I led a modern worship service and we used some of their songs--Hammer and A Nail comes to mind. Also a Tori Amos fan, though I haven't listened to her for a while.

I saw the Indigo Girls perform back in college (around 1990 or so) in Baltimore. Don't remember the venue--it was kind of a small club.

Fun memories!

Yes, Yes it will. :)

And here I thought I was the only one on these boards who heard of, let alone listened to, the Cocteau Twins or Ani DeFranco (of course, I'm listening to Bowie right now)...

Nope, I have most all Ani's cds and all the CT. More great women with a "Y" music, Erykah Badu, Imogen Heap, India Arie, Kate Bush, Lhasa, Be Good Tanyas, Siouxsie & the Banchees, Martina Topley-Bird (and with Tricky).... I could go on and on.

I have more music that I have sense. Good music, that is. The girls and I are currently into Feist; she's great.

:D

When I was in college, there was a rumor that 10,000 Maniacs were (was) playing Fancy Dress at Washington and Lee. I called my friend at W&L and got dates for 8 girls. But then Carli told me it wasn't true, so we bailed. It was ok because Carli had not spoken to his frat brothers. ( I wouldn't want you all to think I was that kind of girl...)

Hey Kay! Where did you go to college? I grew up near Baltimore.

When I was in college, there was a rumor that 10,000 Maniacs were (was) playing Fancy Dress at Washington and Lee. I called my friend at W&L and got dates for 8 girls. But then Carli told me it wasn't true, so we bailed. It was ok because Carli had not spoken to his frat brothers. ( I wouldn't want you all to think I was that kind of girl...)

Hey Kay! Where did you go to college? I grew up near Baltimore.

I saw Natalie and crew at GSU before they were... well known. I never loved their stuff but I have really enjoyed her solo albums. I was lucky to be in Atl during the time when REM, B52's, Nightporters, and a slew of other small local groups, were coming up. It was an exciting time in the music scene here. I was able to see New Order, the Clash, Billy Idol, all in tiny venues. Now, even the smaller clubs cost a small fortune. We just don't get out to see the new artists as much as I would love to.

Saw them in concert at the Hershey Arena in PA while in college (or was that hs?). Gosh, this thread is bringing back memories! Along the folk music lines...anybody ever listen to Christine Lavin? I'm so sad now that I gave away all my Indigo Girls, Tori Amos, Christine Lavin, 10,000 Maniacs, etc.

Yes, Yes it will. :)

And here I thought I was the only one on these boards who heard of, let alone listened to, the Cocteau Twins or Ani DeFranco (of course, I'm listening to Bowie right now)...

You are in for a treat - but you know that ;-)

I love to see the musical diversity here. I rarely ever meet people, especially homeschoolers, IRL who share my musical interests - any of them. Bowie is certainly high on my list.

Nope, I have most all Ani's cds and all the CT. More great women with a "Y" music, Erykah Badu, Imogen Heap, India Arie, Kate Bush, Lhasa, Be Good Tanyas, Siouxsie & the Banchees, Martina Topley-Bird (and with Tricky).... I could go on and on.

Ohmy...we are listening to a lot of Imogen Heap right now, Kate Bush and Siouxsie and the Banshees?! I thought I was the only one in the world...we have every KB album/video etc..our courtship albums, really....and siouxsie reminds me of a HUGE unrequited 80's crush! Freak Show was my favorite song...ah, the memories...

We already know my favorite.. and of course, 20 some years later, I'm getting to see them in concert-scored front row seats, right in front of John!! :)

I have to share with you that I saw Duran Duran at KROQ's acoustic Christmas YEARS ago, maybe 92'. Every year they had an "older" band or a band making a comeback in the lineup (one year it was Billy Idol!). Anyway we were sitting down in "the pit" in the 3rd row of fold out chairs and it was amazing. I acted like a teenager again and stood up on my seat and Simon pointed to me while he was singer "Rio". I saw them another time at an ampitheater a few years after and I sprained my ankle on the way and got carried to my seat! Have a great time! I keep looking for them to come closer to where I am now...:lol:

:iagree:I love the old Indigo Girls stuff too!! I also was huge Tori Amos fan, wonderful songwriter and singer.