Menu

I'm supposed to go gluten-free, and I don't wanna.

My doctor, whom I adore, tested me to see what I was allergic to. He discovered I was a 4 out of 6 on a gluten test (I have no idea what its real name is), and told me that I couldn't have gluten anymore. This was last summer, and I'm still eating wheat.

I've read that this is the "undiagnosed epidemic" and 40% of the population is celiac or gluten sensitive. I have had no symptoms. No IBS, no pain, no gas, no nothing. I have no motivation to go gluten-free. I'm not the kind of person that can willingly give up food. I just don't wanna.

So, give me some motivation. Please.

Maybe you could look at it as an experiment--just do it for maybe 2 months and see how you feel. If you notice a big diff, then maybe that will motivate you. If not, then you could add it back in.

OO, maybe I should ask first:

What are the risks involved in continuing to eat gluten, if you are gluten intolerant?

My doctor, whom I adore, tested me to see what I was allergic to. He discovered I was a 4 out of 6 on a gluten test (I have no idea what its real name is), and told me that I couldn't have gluten anymore. This was last summer, and I'm still eating wheat.

I've read that this is the "undiagnosed epidemic" and 40% of the population is celiac or gluten sensitive. I have had no symptoms. No IBS, no pain, no gas, no nothing. I have no motivation to go gluten-free. I'm not the kind of person that can willingly give up food. I just don't wanna.

what symptoms were you having that prompted the test? Did the doc indicate that these symptoms could be caused by the gluten allergy, or were you allergic to a number of other things as well that could be causing the symptoms?

I can give you some personal anecdotal information.

I was diagnosed gluten intolerant 8 years ago. I hated going gluten free. It was hard. I missed a lot of things. However, symptoms I didn't know I had went away. I had no idea that most people didn't have gastro symptoms after eating a lot of bread. In fact, I didn't really know I had any gastro symptoms until they were gone. After a while, I found that if I cheated, I got incredibly moody and depressed.

At one point, I decided to go back to eating gluten. This was a couple of years ago. Most of the gastro issues didn't come back. The moodiness was better. I developed Raynaud's syndrome, which is an auto-immune disease. I got pregnant and went gf at 20 weeks for the baby. I'm still gf for the baby, but I've picked up another auto-immune disease. It's hypothyroidism, and many people find that being gluten free helps this condition.

I'm not going back to eating gluten. I found a bread I like - Udi's. I make better food than I ever thought I could do to the many other food intolerance we've had to deal with over the years. I don't like feeling foggy headed, due to gluten. I don't like being moody, due to gluten. I don't want full blown celiac disease, and I'm convinced that gluten sensitivity leads to full blown celiac.

you know....if you weren't having any problems I can see why you wouldn't see the need to change. I had been told I had IBS over the years but last year I was in the bathroom 3 hours a day. I couldn't get school done, I couldn't do chores without stopping, couldn't cook a meal without bathroom breaks.....long breaks! At that point when my DR said it could be a celiac/gluten issue I jumped on the chance to have a normal day without living in the bathroom!!!!!

It's been a year for me. I have had some moments that frustrate me to the point of tears. But overall I am happy with my choice to go without. My body is happier. My mind isn't so cloudy. I have more energy. But I was miserable when I stopped eating gluten.

I think in your case I wouldn't stop now. But keep it in mind in the future when you find yourself miserable.

Sorry about hijacking here....

I have IBS and Gastro issues. Once I went Low Carb I have felt SO MUCH better and are more regular with bathrooms. I had embarrassing issues with gastro stuff such as being in the store and then my intestines would growl outloud. So humuliating and embarrassing to go through this. So I am not sure why Low Carb works for me and a lot of others with IBS.

So my question is if you have IBS is this considered a pre-celiac disease? Not enough info about IBS. Milk also irritates my intestines as well so it is not really grains only but also milk. I can only eat homemade ice cream made with eggs and heavy whipping cream. No milk though.

Just wondering!!

Holly

Sorry about hijacking here....

I have IBS and Gastro issues. Once I went Low Carb I have felt SO MUCH better and are more regular with bathrooms. I had embarrassing issues with gastro stuff such as being in the store and then my intestines would growl outloud. So humuliating and embarrassing to go through this. So I am not sure why Low Carb works for me and a lot of others with IBS.

So my question is if you have IBS is this considered a pre-celiac disease? Not enough info about IBS. Milk also irritates my intestines as well so it is not really grains only but also milk. I can only eat homemade ice cream made with eggs and heavy whipping cream. No milk though.

Just wondering!!

Holly

Celiac disease destroys the villi in the small intestine. The lactose that breaks down milk is in the tips of the villi. Trouble with milk is a lot of times associated with Celiac. (though you can still have a milk allergy) IBS is not a dx from my understanding just a list of symptoms with no known cause as of yet. Low carb works because you have problems with gluten whether that is celiac or pre celiac or gluten intolerant or whatever label it gets stuck with.

Susie - I agreed that this leads to celiac. My doctor told me that, too. I'm not sure that I'm not already, because even though he didn't say outright that I was, he wrote "celiac-sprue" on my file. I have wondered, even though I feel alright and don't have bad issues (except for fatigue which has greatly improved due to antidepressant and supplements), how I would feel after being off gluten for a while.

Tess - I know it's probably the proverbial ticking time bomb, which is what my doctor said.

Holly - From what I have read on celiac, IBS, Crohn's, and other gastro issues are probably the results of having undiagnosed celiac/gluten issues.

I have been dragging my feet over going gluten and dairy free. I've tried several times, but give up after just a few days, or when dh bakes cookies (whichever comes first). :D I do have a variety of symptoms that I would love to have go away.

Last week, the pediatrician suggested both of my dds give up gluten, dairy, eggs, and a few more foods. I guess I care more about their health than mine since we are on day 2 of the diet!

My advice would be to find someone experienced with the diet to be your support and cheerleader. I have several friends on a gluten free diet, and they've really stepped up to offer advice and encouragement.

One trick to making such a difficult change to our diets was to find a couple of good foods that I could eat that I really liked... I found these delicious veggie patties at a local health store and went up and down the aisles looking for things I'd like to eat. It helped to have some things that I really liked when I missed the old stand bys...

Celiac sprue is celiac disease. You have it already.

You may think you feel OK, but I'd put money that when you go gluten free, you will have symptoms clear up that you didn't know you had, including the fatigue (which is caused by low iron which can't be absorbed)

Celiac disease is an auto immune disease, when it is not being controlled it can cause serious other issues. I don't know exactly what they are, perhaps a conversation with your doctor is in order to find out what you could be in for if you continue to ignore the damage that gluten is doing to your body.

Why not make one change at a time. Start with cutting out bread (you need a break before trying GF bread as it tastes different),

Use rice crumbs instead of bread crumbs for crumbing things (my family can't tell the difference)

Get yourself a GF flour blend (ask around for a good one) and experiment with substitution in things you like

Then look for or make GF tortillas

Find a good GF pasta.

Stop eating pastry (short pastry is very easy to make GF)

Each time you need to replace a condiment, search for one that is GF to replace it with.

The only symptom I thought I had was bloating, all sorts of other stuff stopped happening when I went GF. I feel so much better now that there is no way I'd go back to eating gluten.

Continuing to eat gluten if you have an allergy could damage your digestive system so that you have a hard time absorbing nutrients from other foods. You may not have abdominal pain or digestive issues. Gluten allergy can also cause generalized issues - body aches, joint pain, fatigue, "foggy-head," insomnia, etc.

It does take a while to get used to eating gluten-free. My saving grace has been Pamela's mix - this mix makes great pancakes, cookies, biscuits, etc. that my whole family will eat. I have served goodies made with this to guests and they would have never known it was gluten-free. It does have almond flour in it so if you have a nut allergy it wouldn't work for you. But it's the best tasting mix I've found. Gluten-free bread isn't that appetizing and I've pretty much given that up. It's easy now to find quinoa or rice pasta. I use corn tortillas. I eat gluten-free oatmeal. We eat a lot of whole foods and that helps.

I would slowly change out some of your pantry staples with gluten-free versions. You can always try to add it back in a year and get another test done - sometimes the allergy goes away on its own with time.

I didn't know I had brain fog until I stopped eating gluten. It's worth a try to see what (if any) symptoms that don't even register on your radar now, will disappear.

I like the list above of how sick are you willing to be just to eat gluten. I work in the health food industry and I cannot tell you the enormous amount of people who tell me they feel so much better once they eat what their body wants.

This post is very timely for me. We just found out that our 5.5 year old DD is alergic to Eggs, Milk, and Wheat. (as well as a few other things) I am just in the information gathering stage of how to eliminate these foods from our diets. I figure if she has to go without then so do I.

I am wondering what people do when they live 45 miles from the closest big city (and by big I mean 100K). There really isn't a lot of choices for us. Does anyone know of any blogs or books that help with eleminating ALL 3 of these things from our diets?

I don't want to hijack your thread, I'm guessing you could use the information as well. I wish you luck, it seems like it's going to be a difficult road (at least for us)

Thanks,

Dawn

Celiac sprue is celiac disease. You have it already.

But that's not what she said, is it? Her doctor tested her for a wheat *allergy*, not celiac. One does not necessarily indicate the other (though it's possible for people to have both).

As to the OP, if you're not noticing symptoms, it's possible that you aren't having any. It's possible that you do have symptoms, but only when *other* allergens are bothering you as well, 'causing your body to be overwhelmed, but that when environmental conditions are right, you can tolerate the allergen. It may be causing symptoms that you've had for so long that you honestly have no idea that they *are* symptoms, thinking that's just the way life is. ;)

I agree with the others who say, "Do this as an experiment for two-to-three months." See if you feel better. See if anything changes. After two to three months, set up a three-day wheat and gluten splurge. Eat everything you want. Pizza, bagels, pasta, whatever. See how you feel.

You may feel *fabulous* without gluten in your life. Your skin may look healthier than it ever has, you may notice more energy, fewer little aches and pains, you may gain or lose weight that puts you closer to your ideal (if you aren't there now)... All sorts of things.

Or not.

But you'll know.

And when you try a big ol' dose of wheat and gluten again after your 2-3 months, it either won't bother you at all, or it will *really* cement your resolve to stick to this diet long term.

As for making the switch, when ds was going through so many allergies and our whole family had to make major changes... Each time, it took me about 3 weeks to get a real handle on the changes. That three weeks was tough. ... But after that, things were much easier. I'm not going to tell you that eliminating gluten will be easy or you'll never miss it or some nonsense like that. :) It's hard. But it will get easier.

This post is very timely for me. We just found out that our 5.5 year old DD is alergic to Eggs, Milk, and Wheat. (as well as a few other things) I am just in the information gathering stage of how to eliminate these foods from our diets. I figure if she has to go without then so do I.

I am wondering what people do when they live 45 miles from the closest big city (and by big I mean 100K). There really isn't a lot of choices for us. Does anyone know of any blogs or books that help with eleminating ALL 3 of these things from our diets?

I don't want to hijack your thread, I'm guessing you could use the information as well. I wish you luck, it seems like it's going to be a difficult road (at least for us)

Thanks,

Dawn

I don't know any specific resources, but I would start with google and amazon searches for gluten-free vegan. Here is a list to start you off!

Thanks,

Dawn

Dawn,

We live over an hour away from any place that carries gluten free staples. While you wait to figure things out just think naturally gluten free (baked chicken, side of potato or rice, side of veggie, fruit). My son developed some nut allergies that preclude even stuff available an hour away (or more). So we order basically everything online now. I wish I had discovered that years ago! No travel/hassle and it's almost always cheaper too.

Gluten free Goddess website has a lot of free information including recipes and baking hints. Many are also egg and dairy free. If you google gfcf you'll find a lot of information too often geared toward the autism community (so kid friendly). We've been egg free as well all along. I'm sure it changes the taste but unless a recipe is founded on egg most times you can easily do an egg sub if a recipe calls for egg.

Tinkyada rice pasta is fabulous. Most stores that carry gluten free carry it but you can easily purchase it directly (we do that now). It's wonderful and would be safe for your daughter's allergies.

Your biggest struggle with her is going to be adequate protein likely as most kids get it from dairy and/or egg. Will she eat meat? I'd be weary of soy unless she's regularly consuming it already as many with other allergies (you've got three top eight) are also going to be at risk of developing a soy allergy. Be cautious. Most gluten free stuff has heavy nut or sesame cross contamination. That's not an issue for celiac types usually but for kids who are on wheat free diets for allergy issues may be at risk with those nuts (it's how my son developed nut allergies).

I have been on a gluten free diet for about 3 months now. I feel amazing. It is like food is nourishment to me for the first time ever. My biggest problems were fatigue and stomach distress. I have more energy now than at any time in the past. I would not go back to my old diet. I have also lost 16 lbs without even trying. We had a great dinner tonight, brown rice pasta with chicken in a red sauce and a salad with gluten free dressing. I really don't feel like I am depriving myself at all.

http://www.glutenfreegoddess.com and http://www.glutenfreegirl.com have all kinds of inspiration, along with beautiful photography. As others have said, a google search will yield lots. I use Roben Ryberg's 'You Won't believe It's Gluten Free!' for lots of basic baking. She often has a separate rice-based, potatato-based and corn-based recipe for each item. She also has some dairy- and egg-free variations.

I order my brown rice flour from Amazon, and since I always have plenty to get there, the shipping is free :001_smile:

I had no diagnosis beyond IBS, but when I decided to try going off gluten 7years ago, my scientist husband told me after two weeks that he could tell the difference. I think it mainly helped with depression.

It's worth a try. The biggest danger long-term in not going GF is malabsorption. Many people only discover they can't tolerate gluten after they have an osteoporosis diagnosis, or catastrophic fractures because of mineral depletion.

Sorry it sounds scary, but it might be better to be fore-warned.

But that's not what she said, is it? Her doctor tested her for a wheat *allergy*, not celiac. One does not necessarily indicate the other (though it's possible for people to have both).

Second post said the dr wrote down celiac sprue. I'm guessing it was the celiac blood test (which is not completely accurate and often, but not always followed by biopsy) Obviously the result was pretty strong.

Also if the doctor tested to see what you are allergic to, surely there were some signs of things not right?

Second post said the dr wrote down celiac sprue. I'm guessing it was the celiac blood test (which is not completely accurate and often, but not always followed by biopsy) Obviously the result was pretty strong.

Also if the doctor tested to see what you are allergic to, surely there were some signs of things not right?

Rachel, I think you need to find out what test was run. An allergy test will not indicate celiac. Did he test for celiac or for allergies?

Thanks,

Dawn

There is a cookbook that might help you get started. I used it for myself when I eliminated the top 8 allergens while I was BF dd. It's not specifically gluten free, but has simple recipes without the top 8 allergens. I bought a fancier allergen-free cookbook but never got around to using it. From this simple cookbook, there are a couple recipes I still use, even though I don't need to at the moment (I'm hanging on to it for when dd is eating more table food - she's 9 mo and still apparently allergic to dairy). http://www.sophiesafecooking.com/ The recipes seem relatively kid-friendly to me. As I said, it's an easy way to get started. When you're more comfortable with this new way of running your kitchen, you can expand the menu :)

ETA: I played around with a couple of the recipes, and the one good idea that my other, fancier allergen-free cookbook gave me was fake eggs for baking (I think it's called EnerG or something like that; I bought it at our local supermarket, which admittedly has a really nice selection). I think the primary ingredient in the fake eggs is cornstarch, and I've probably even seen a "recipe" for egg substitution with only cornstarch and water. Anyway, I had trouble with the fudge cookie recipe from sophie safe and it was much better with the fake eggs added.

Edited by wapiti

has some great recipes - some corn-free, gluten-free, egg-free, milk-free. Ds is GFCF in addition to no eggs, nuts, soy. He is very allergic and has asthma. I supplement with choline (since he is soy and egg-free - these are the major sources of choline).

I've found that buckwheat is the only grain that will stick together (without eggs) to make pancakes. So I do a combo/variation of Sue Gregg's blender pancake and the recipe from the Allergy Self-Help Cookbook. He eats a lot of rice, some millet, corn and buckwheat. Combined with potatoes and sweet potatoes, it's enough carbs. I do feed him grass-fed/pasture-raised beef, chicken and pork with the occasional fish (salmon, sardines). His major supplement is calcium as his diet has almost no calcium in it (other than sardine bones, broccoli). He gets lots of fruits and vegetables.

If you're only going GFCF, there's great stuff out there eg. coconut milk ice-cream, quinoa pastas, etc.

HTH,

Sandra

Holly - From what I have read on celiac, IBS, Crohn's, and other gastro issues are probably the results of having undiagnosed celiac/gluten issues.

I had precancerous Ulcerative Colitis. No gluten issues. I am allergic to chocolate, alcohol and yeast. I do need digestive enzymes to handle certain fats. I have been on a program from my Natural Doctor and my condition is much better, I am currently symptom free.

I did have to eat gluten free for a few months while breastfeeding my daughter. Bob's Red Mill has great products and recipes. My favorite gluten free grain is Milo (also called Sorghum). It tastes like white flour! I hate things made out of white rice flour, yuck! I made my own egg noodles with brown rice flour.

Edited by Lovedtodeath

There is a cookbook that might help you get started. I used it for myself when I eliminated the top 8 allergens while I was BF dd. It's not specifically gluten free, but has simple recipes without the top 8 allergens. I bought a fancier allergen-free cookbook but never got around to using it. From this simple cookbook, there are a couple recipes I still use, even though I don't need to at the moment (I'm hanging on to it for when dd is eating more table food - she's 9 mo and still apparently allergic to dairy). http://www.sophiesafecooking.com/ The recipes seem relatively kid-friendly to me. As I said, it's an easy way to get started. When you're more comfortable with this new way of running your kitchen, you can expand the menu :)

ETA: I played around with a couple of the recipes, and the one good idea that my other, fancier allergen-free cookbook gave me was fake eggs for baking (I think it's called EnerG or something like that; I bought it at our local supermarket, which admittedly has a really nice selection). I think the primary ingredient in the fake eggs is cornstarch, and I've probably even seen a "recipe" for egg substitution with only cornstarch and water. Anyway, I had trouble with the fudge cookie recipe from sophie safe and it was much better with the fake eggs added.

THANK YOU!!!! I will definately be checking this one out!

Dawn

If this doesn't make you quit the gluten, nothing will:

Neurological Complications of Celiac Disease

Source: Tietge, et al, American Journal of Gastroenterology, 92:40, 1997.

Lifeline, Winter 1998, Vol XVI, No 1, pp 1-2

Cooke and Smith first described the association of neurological symptoms and celiac sprue in 1966. Neurological complications can exhibit features including peripheral neuropathy, myelopathy, optic myopathy, epilepsy and dementia. Malabsorption of vitamins has been implicated and reaction to toxic or antigenic material because of increased mucosal permeability has been speculated in celiac disease. Onset of neurological complications can occur even when vitamin levels are normal and without coexisting villous atrophy. Thus, supplementation is contraindicated.

Because celiac disease is an autoimmune disorder, neurological symptoms were thought to be of autoimmune origin. However, immunosuppressive therapy did not show benefit. It appears that the onset of neurological complications may follow or precede symptoms and diagnosis of celiac disease. A recently reported study showed antigliadin antibodies in 30 of 53 patients with neurological disease of an unknown cause.

Our conclusions are that severe neurological complications of celiac disease may arise, even when the jejunal biopsy reveals normal results and the patient is asymptomatic. Therefore, we feel that celiac patients should be evaluated for neurological symptoms even in the clinically stable long-term course. In addition, celiac disease needs to be considered when making a differential diagnosis for patients presenting with neurological symptoms of unknown primary cause even in the absence of gastrointestinal symptoms.

Hadjivassiliou, et al proposed [Lancet, 347:369-71, 1996] that antigliadin antibodies may be directly or indirectly neurotoxic or a marker of neurotoxic autoimmune process. Neurological complications of celiac disease presenting to gastroenterologists have been considered rare, but the findings of high incidence of celiac disease in patients with neurological disease of unknown cause, emphasizes that clinicians need to be vigilant for the atypical presentation and complications of celiac disease.

Frisoni, et al conclude that the immune changes in celiac disease are unlikely to play a role in Alzheimer's disease. In control groups none was positive for anti-endomysium antibodies.

Patients with a family history of neurological problems or who are presenting questions related to neurological complications should be proactive in discussing concerns with their physicians. Patients with interests in genetic counselors, physicians and geneticists with expertise in counseling about familial risk may be interested in the directory of genetic counselors available through the cancer society in most states.

On of the concerns arising from the increasing availability of genetic tests is whether people who contemplate such tests understand their appropriate appropriateness and their implications. That base knowledge, the particular need, what information would be obtained and the probable use or value to the self-managed celiac patient becomes primary and important before taking on both the time and financial obligations involved.

REFERENCES:

Cooke, WT and Smith, WT,"Neurological disorders associated with adult coeliac disease." [brain, December 1966]

Hadjivassiliou, M et al, "Neuromuscular disorder as a presenting feature of coeliac disease." [J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry. December 1997];

Hadjivassiliou, M et al, "Does cryptic gluten sensitivity play a part in neurological illness?." [Lancet, 347:369-71, February 1996]

Frisoni, GV et al, "Is celiac disease associated with Alzheimer's disease?" [Acta Neurol Scand., 95(3):147-51,March 1997]

There is a more extensive version of the article here: Neurological complications of coeliac disease.

Sadly, many people remain in denial about this very important aspect of celiac. My own SIL has chosen not to make her OWN SON follow a gluten free diet because "it's too hard" - even though BIL has celiac, and she is cooking gluten free for him anyway. It's just sad.

asta

Edited by asta

I will ask another question. I have a daughter with osteoporosis. SHe was tested for celiac with a blood test. She does not have any gastro problems at all. SHe does have low Vitamin d for unknown reasons. (SHe takes big doses of Vit D and will have a retest of it soon). The endocrinologist who is a bone specialist thinks she likely has the very rare idiopathic osteoporosis that should be disappearing as soon as she reaches puberty. She does have some other issues, mainly her body shape changed dramatically since the time of her problems. SHe used to be a taller, skinny girl and now she is a shorter, chubby child though her diet hasn't changed. Any thoughts?

I will ask another question. I have a daughter with osteoporosis. SHe was tested for celiac with a blood test. She does not have any gastro problems at all. SHe does have low Vitamin d for unknown reasons. (SHe takes big doses of Vit D and will have a retest of it soon). The endocrinologist who is a bone specialist thinks she likely has the very rare idiopathic osteoporosis that should be disappearing as soon as she reaches puberty. She does have some other issues, mainly her body shape changed dramatically since the time of her problems. SHe used to be a taller, skinny girl and now she is a shorter, chubby child though her diet hasn't changed. Any thoughts?

Has her doc checked her for secondary Addison's?

a

I'm doing a diet with my 10 yodd that's recommended by her nutritionist. I'm doing it with her to support her. I just realized today that we've cut out gluten. In fact, other than having to cook for lunch (and I cook yams, potatoes and different types of squash in bulk to have ready for the week) I love the way we're eating. I do not miss a THING. I have NO sugar cravings, and I do NOT miss breads of any kind. We are getting our carbs from whole grains: cooked brown rice, millet, rye, etc. It's yummy.

I'd say give it a try. Introduce new foods to replace those you can't have. Don't dream of your wheat every day :001_smile: because then you'll fail. Focus on the reason why you're doing this, and that's for your health.

What I've learned is that after you've adapted to a new way of eating (I've done this three times before: vegan for 1.5 years, low glycemic diet for over a year, body ecology diet for several months and this was VERY restrictive) is that you'll find new favorites and won't miss the other stuff anymore.

Rye has gluten. ;)

But yes, I cut out gluten for a while and I really got good at making everything from scratch very easily and it was really yummy. After a few months my diet was basically what it was before. I had learned how to make things with different flours, and not use prepackaged items. Really, our diets of eating mostly wheat and pre-packaged things are bad for most people anyway.:D

Going gluten free (GF) is MUCH better than it used to be. I think that in the beginning it is easiest to switch to foods that are naturally GF - meats, veggies, fruits etc... Be careful with sauces because gluten is often used as a filler.

It took me two weeks to start feeling way better, but it takes 6 mos to fully benefit from a GF diet.

Being GF clears up all kinds of issues for me - some that I had no idea had to do with gluten. Example, the rash in my ear. Who would have known that ear rash = gluten???

Anyway, I am Celiac and have been GF (in various levels of seriousness) for 10 years. Now I am completely GF, mostly grain free, and my kiddos are also GF.

Seriously I think MOST people would feel better on a GF, reduced grains diet.

Once you start experimenting with GF baking don't get discourage by all of the GF flours and weird tastes. Check out The Gluten Free Almond Flour Cookbook by Elana Amsterdam. Almond Flour is fabulous and easy to use, and can be bought online. Seriously this is the best GF cookbook I've found for really yummy cookies, scones, etc. (I sub butter and sugar for oil and agave in her recipes without problems. 1:1)

Good luck! Feel free to PM me with any questions. :001_smile:

Rye has gluten. ;)

But yes, I cut out gluten for a while and I really got good at making everything from scratch very easily and it was really yummy. After a few months my diet was basically what it was before. I had learned how to make things with different flours, and not use prepackaged items. Really, our diets of eating mostly wheat and pre-packaged things are bad for most people anyway.:D

hhhmmmm...... do you think 6 oz of rye per week would be harmful???

I do know I'm feeling so much better. I can cut out the rye but the nutritionist has dd on a specific diet and she's detoxing her body. I'm doing it, too.

I so need to do this also, but have been afraid to even start since my brain is so foggy.......but you girls have encouraged me and those are some great links and maybe I can do it after all. I am sure it would help me and my daughter, and probably wouldn't hurt ds and the hubs either. now........where to begin? ugh...first I need to finish de-cluttering the house, which is so overwhelming that I don't know where to start!!!But I have decided to not save stuff for a garage sale, but to just donate it all......which is huge. Spring brings hope for new, and at least I am not depressed (as much).....grrrr.....I need a food fairy and a house elf to help me. If my kids weren't so busy with school work they could help.....but at least they are home with me!!!

I so need to do this also, but have been afraid to even start since my brain is so foggy.......!

That fog may start to go away once you are gluten free. You *can* do this. One step at a time, one day at a time, one meal at a time. If you screw up, and you will, just move forward. Everyone does it, even those of us who have been gf for a long time.:grouphug:

I do know I'm feeling so much better. I can cut out the rye but the nutritionist has dd on a specific diet and she's detoxing her body. I'm doing it, too.

Because going gluten-free may help your adopted dd with her RAD-like behaviors. DS from India is gluten- and dairy-free. It reduced his RAD-like symptoms by 90%. If you're already having to do this for one dd, why not do it for both, to see if it helps? :)

Lisa

I do not believe that everyone needs to cut out gluten. :)It turned out that while DD was allergic to wheat and oatmeal, we could all eat rye and barley with no problems. Gluten was not her problem, specific grain allergies were. If your family is sensitive to gluten then you would want to cut out the rye of course.