Menu

Petitioning school districts to allow homeschoolers to play sports

Has anyone ever been involved in petitioning a school district to allow homeschoolers to play high school sports? Texas law says it is up to the individual school districts to decide if they want homeschoolers playing on their school teams. Academically our school district sucks eggs. They really aren't great at sports either, in terms of winning big anyway. There are a few homeschoolers I have spoken to in our community that want to talk to the district about them changing their policy. It has always been hands down NO we don't want homeschoolers involved - period. The district is very unfriendly with homeschoolers.

My son plays baseball and is in his last year of playing with the local league. There are select teams, but that involves a lot more money and time that dh and I are willing to provide. We do pay over $5000 in property taxes each year that go to these schools and feel that our son should at least have the opportunity to try out for the high school baseball team next year. We don't know where to start. Do we ask other property tax payers to sign a petition saying they approve? Do we attend the school district board meetings and beg? What do we do?

One homeschool father says that it is going to take a Tim Tebow type kid to change their mind, but I say bully to that. Not every kid is going to be a Tim Tebow and just because they aren't doesn't mean they should be denied the opportunity to play sports. Technically I guess they aren't denied because we could choose to send our son to their inferior academic institution, but they take our money every year so shouldn't that make my son eligible? I know this is a very touchy subject at times among homeschoolers so I hope this doesn't start an argument. I just really want to know what the steps are to being heard by the district.

Edited by TXMary2
Changed "able"

My understanding of the TX homeschool regulations is that, while a local school board could allow a homeschooled student to participate in a sport, it would be useless since they are not allowed to compete in a UIL sponsored competition. In other words, it is not the school district keeping kids from sports, but the statewide regulations.

We're facing the same problem with football. I was wondering if any Christian schools let homeschoolers play? Anyone have any experience there?:bigear:

My understanding of the TX homeschool regulations is that, while a local school board could allow a homeschooled student to participate in a sport, it would be useless since they are not allowed to compete in a UIL sponsored competition. In other words, it is not the school district keeping kids from sports, but the statewide regulations.

We're facing the same problem with football. I was wondering if any Christian schools let homeschoolers play? Anyone have any experience there?:bigear:

Hmmm....I have not heard that about the UIL. I am surprised this one HS Father doesn't know anything about that. You know I don't know abou the Christian Schools either. The private schools in my area are super tiny and don't even have sports teams.

Dc are still young, but we are moving and wanted to look into sports option for when they outgrow local leagues. We found a local Christian school with very good teams who was willing to allow our kids to play if they were enrolled "part-time" for half tuition. This pretty much means taking elective classes, maybe a language, maybe a science lab, but no more than 3 classes.

They encourage it here. Our school district is awesome and my superintendent is really cool about stuff. He told me and others if there is anything they can do to help just ask. I have yet to ask, but I think once we get higher up I will ask about electives and such.

They encourage it here. Our school district is awesome and my superintendent is really cool about stuff. He told me and others if there is anything they can do to help just ask. I have yet to ask, but I think once we get higher up I will ask about electives and such.

That's great. Our school district is horrible and so is the Superintendent. Maybe we should move to Wyoming.:tongue_smilie:

Hi Mary,

I'm another Texas mom. Give it up. It won't happen. A couple of years ago the Texas homeschool association tried to pass a law allowing homeschoolers to participate in extra-curricular. However, the HSLDA and a lot of Texas homeschoolers were against it. You see if we participated in extra-curricular then you have to prove that you pass because of "no pass no play" So, do homeschoolers get a pass on that?? Would you have to bring your report card each six weeks?? Then how could they prove your grades might be legitimate?? Many people saw this as a frightening way to get regulation. Right now we have NO requirements other than to "say" we are teaching a basic curriculum. No one checks with us or anything. We Texans are pretty independent. I really wish my children could do band or drama, but I guess I can understand the fear of regulation. so we are stuck.

Christine

Hi Mary,

I'm another Texas mom. Give it up. It won't happen. A couple of years ago the Texas homeschool association tried to pass a law allowing homeschoolers to participate in extra-curricular. However, the HSLDA and a lot of Texas homeschoolers were against it. You see if we participated in extra-curricular then you have to prove that you pass because of "no pass no play" So, do homeschoolers get a pass on that?? Would you have to bring your report card each six weeks?? Then how could they prove your grades might be legitimate?? Many people saw this as a frightening way to get regulation. Right now we have NO requirements other than to "say" we are teaching a basic curriculum. No one checks with us or anything. We Texans are pretty independent. I really wish my children could do band or drama, but I guess I can understand the fear of regulation. so we are stuck.

Christine

That did cross my mind. Part of me thinks it stinks that my kids can't play sports once they grow out of little league- unless I want to pay through the nose and spend all my time driving all over Texas so they can play. The other part of me thinks being in the system could possibly endanger my right to homeschool. My ds6 is already in the system for his speech therapy that is a *free* service to homeschoolers. I can't wait until he is done with that!

Mary,

I know a family that petitioned their district here in NY and the district allowed children to play on the school club teams that DID NOT play other schools.

I mean this in the kindest way possible: Even if the school district would allow it, your son would still have to make the team. Depending on the school size and the popularity of the sport, it can be very difficult. Add politics & you being "outsiders" I think it'd be close to impossible.

I know it is easy for me to say, but you'd have a better chance of somehow raising the money for the travel baseball team.

:grouphug:

Good luck!

Just recently in the past few years here in PA homeschoolers have been allowed to participate in extracurricular activities as long as they are not graded classes( IE music,band etc.) So they can participate in sports such as soccer, baseball, basketball, football etc.

We have one small private school but they don't really have sports except track. They go through the local school district and share their gym with them.

We pretty much look to local rec teams. Our community has a spring and summer soccer. Our local YMCA has the Y swim league, as well as Tball for younger kids. OUr community also has baseball, wrestling, and football. Of course it costs money and you don't get back from the local school districts. It is a shame that we have to pay taxes and are so limited.

I also know here in PA , not sure if its happening elsewhere yet that the schools are beginning to start thier own cyberschools. If you participate in those you have access to school activities.

I think it would depend on how UIL is set up for sports. Is every game a UIL event? If so, there is very little chance that your child would get to participate. However, some extra-curricular activities only have a few UIL events each year. For example, band UIL events would be marching at football games (I believe), a concert competition, and solo and ensemble competition. There is a Texas mom here (can't remember who) whose daughter participates in her PS high school band. She cannot participate in any of the UIL events, but does practice with them and performs in any general concerts and such.

Texas has such strict "no-pass-no-play" and UIL rules that it makes it very, very difficult. I have no idea how others states do it.

Mary,

I know a family that petitioned their district here in NY and the district allowed children to play on the school club teams that DID NOT play other schools.

I mean this in the kindest way possible: Even if the school district would allow it, your son would still have to make the team. Depending on the school size and the popularity of the sport, it can be very difficult. Add politics & you being "outsiders" I think it'd be close to impossible.

I know it is easy for me to say, but you'd have a better chance of somehow raising the money for the travel baseball team.

:grouphug:

Good luck!

I understand he would have to try out and actually that is really what I want is for the homeschool kids to at least be able to try out. We know the coach of the high school baseball team who also happens to be the coach of a local travel team. My son has played for him on and off over the years and he regularly calls my husband asking when my son can play for him again so I am confident he would make the team if the district allowed the hs kids to tryout and play.

We could arrange the financial part for a travel team, but really my biggest objection is the time involved and how every time we have done travel ball it takes over our life. I just don't want to do that again.

I understand he would have to try out and actually that is really what I want is for the homeschool kids to at least be able to try out. We know the coach of the high school baseball team who also happens to be the coach of a local travel team. My son has played for him on and off over the years and he regularly calls my husband asking when my son can play for him again so I am confident he would make the team if the district allowed the hs kids to tryout and play.

We could arrange the financial part for a travel team, but really my biggest objection is the time involved and how every time we have done travel ball it takes over our life. I just don't want to do that again.

I know the feeling of travel (hockey) taking over our lives. You have my sympathy!

Good luck with whatever you do. There are hard choices and sacrifices in all our decisions -- but I am not telling you anything you don't know. ;)

Sports are such a huge part of my ds's life. He is happiest when he is on the rink, field, links, etc... It was definitely part of the decision when we sent him to a Catholic boys school for high school. While the academics turned out to be everything & more that we wanted, ds had some major disappointments in the sports department. I wrote about them in other threads so I won't drag it all up again. :D

You should look into Colorado law. I'm not sure exactly how it's set up, but homeschoolers and private schoolers can compete for the public high school they would otherwise attend. Also, it your high school doesn't have the sport you want to play, you can go to another school for that sport.

I don't think the "I pay property taxes" argument will work in your case- senior citizens and people with no children pay property taxes also.

I.

To be honest, to play high school level sports, it does take over your life. If you were in ps, it would, believe me!!! The spend times of time traveling and practicing. This is why we don't do sports past junior high.

Where are you in Texas?? Here in East Texas there are some private schools that will allow you to participate in sports and music in junior high. They cannot let us in high school because of UIL. There is a youth symphony orchestra and preperatory strings that lets homeschoolers participate. This past fall, our area started a high school basketball team and they played teams all over several times a week. They are starting practices next week for 6 man football. In my town, the community college has a high school homeschool choir. (The professor was homeschooled, so he does the college choir and so he knew the need and started a homeschool high school group a couple of years ago.) So I think it is getting better. Oh, yeah, there is a children ARts Academy that does classes occasionally for homeschoolers, but everything they do is open to all children.

That said, once you get into high school, whatever your specialty is, it just takes more time to get good at it. I spent hours after school doing choir and drama. If you don't spend the time, you won't get cast or won't get to play. That is just the way life is. I think the time to play at sports for fun in elementary ages and somewhat junior high, after they they make it really serious.

Christine

It really isn't the school district, it's the governing board of athletics for your state. In CA it's called the CIF and they strictly prohibit any homeschooler from playing sports that are governed by them, which is pretty much all of them. And yes, you could petition the school and they could let him play, but his school would be disqualified if anybody wanted to make a stink about it.

There are ways around it though, albeit very, very, very narrow, sell -your-soul-kinds of ways, but they are there. Not sure in TX or other states, but we got around it by homeschooling through a charter that is run by our school district. (Which if there are any readers from my dd/high school/homeschool/softball dilemma, this is how I solved it) This particular charter covers 5 counties, but only the kids in the base district can play for their high school of residence. We had to get permission from the district, the Athletic Director of the school, the coaches and the high school counselor for our charter. That's how they solved the 'no pass, no play' issue. Our curriculum is approved and monitored, and I have to submit grades monthly. It's actually not that bad, and I know some of you are cringing, but it's working for now.

DD plays softball, which like baseball pretty much competitively ends in middle school unless you do the traveling teams. Some families can afford the money and the time, but we can't, so I know where your coming from. It's something that I struggled with for a very long time and I can only say that if your son is seriously considering continuing baseball in any kind of upper level, if he can't play high school then you might want to bite the bullet and commit to a traveling team. We waited one year too long with dd-we kept her in rec ball a year after her friends had gone on to the traveling teams and I can really see it in the level of refinement between her and her peers. Now she is working twice as hard to get to that level in half as little time because there are 14 girls on the team an only 9 can play...sorry to ramble.

So if you want to petition somebody, take on the NCAA and all the subsequent governing boards.

It really isn't the school district, it's the governing board of athletics for your state. In CA it's called the CIF and they strictly prohibit any homeschooler from playing sports that are governed by them, which is pretty much all of them. And yes, you could petition the school and they could let him play, but his school would be disqualified if anybody wanted to make a stink about it.

There are ways around it though, albeit very, very, very narrow, sell -your-soul-kinds of ways, but they are there. Not sure in TX or other states, but we got around it by homeschooling through a charter that is run by our school district. (Which if there are any readers from my dd/high school/homeschool/softball dilemma, this is how I solved it) This particular charter covers 5 counties, but only the kids in the base district can play for their high school of residence. We had to get permission from the district, the Athletic Director of the school, the coaches and the high school counselor for our charter. That's how they solved the 'no pass, no play' issue. Our curriculum is approved and monitored, and I have to submit grades monthly. It's actually not that bad, and I know some of you are cringing, but it's working for now.

DD plays softball, which like baseball pretty much competitively ends in middle school unless you do the traveling teams. Some families can afford the money and the time, but we can't, so I know where your coming from. It's something that I struggled with for a very long time and I can only say that if your son is seriously considering continuing baseball in any kind of upper level, if he can't play high school then you might want to bite the bullet and commit to a traveling team. We waited one year too long with dd-we kept her in rec ball a year after her friends had gone on to the traveling teams and I can really see it in the level of refinement between her and her peers. Now she is working twice as hard to get to that level in half as little time because there are 14 girls on the team an only 9 can play...sorry to ramble.

So if you want to petition somebody, take on the NCAA and all the subsequent governing boards.

This is so true. And it is the reason that once my DS didn't make the freshman baseball team at school he knew his chances of ever playing high school ball are now close to zero. All the freshman on the team this year are going to be practicing for hours with the coaches and DS won't have that.

Good luck with your dd! Those softball girls are tough cookies!

You see if we participated in extra-curricular then you have to prove that you pass because of "no pass no play" So, do homeschoolers get a pass on that?? Would you have to bring your report card each six weeks?? Then how could they prove your grades might be legitimate?? Many people saw this as a frightening way to get regulation.

In Florida, we also have to turn in grades for extracurricular. It's really no big deal. I've turned in my mom grades without problems.

Our homeschool lobbyist in Florida is excellent. She began pushing for a statute allowing homeschoolers to participate in extracurriculars way before Tim Tebow -- actually b/c her own son wanted to play. Tim Tebow made Florida's law famous. :001_smile: Here's a link to the Florida statute.

Best wishes in your pursuit,

Lisa

Our state homeschoolers organizations here in Va, have been trying to get this law to allow homeschoolers to participated in high school sports for years now. From what I've been told, it's best to try and have homeschooling families in rural areas talk to the school board and the sports coaches. There are not as many outside school opportunities for sports in those areas and it would make the school board a little more sympathetic.

Our state homeschoolers organizations here in Va, have been trying to get this law to allow homeschoolers to participated in high school sports for years now. From what I've been told, it's best to try and have homeschooling families in rural areas talk to the school board and the sports coaches. There are not as many outside school opportunities for sports in those areas and it would make the school board a little more sympathetic.

I am in Texas and sports are big everywhere-especially the small towns like mine. It's just that on the rec level it stops at 8th grade and all that is available is high school sports. There are several sports groups in Austin, but I have no desire to drive there several times a week for practice.

I think my son will just have to make a decision. He is very involved in Boy Scouts and loves it. He enjoys baseball and is a great pitcher - he loves the accolades he gets for that. I don't think we can do both and I don't see him wanting to leave scouts. I also don't have it in me to fight the school board, which from all the responses here it seems clear it would be a fight. It also sounds like with the UIL thing something would have to change at the State level and I have even less desire to be involved in that.

I would start with your state legislature if you're serious. Find a legislator who is willing to sponsor a bill and draft it.

We live in Utah and our state law says that homeschoolers are allowed to play sports and participate in any other extra-curricular activities public school kids do. There is no requirement that we enroll in the school or that we "prove" that our kids have passing grades.

My daughter was just accepted on our local high school's drill team. Thirteen other public school girls were turned down. No problem whatsoever. And, our homeschooling laws are fabulous in Utah. Just send in a letter of intent every year. That's it. It sounds like you might need to work on changing your state laws.

Diane

You also may want to check with local private schools. My DD's principal told me that the Parochial schools league here allows homeschooled students to participate on school teams/events, although I assume it would still be up to the individual school to decide if they wanted a student participating on their team or not.

If your state has a governing body for public high school sports then you're not going to be able to lobby your local school board--they have absolutely no incentive to be out of compliance with the state body as it could put their school in jeopardy.

Get familiar with the state rules--there may be a way around them like attending a public virtual school. Like a few other posters mentioned, you may also be able to participate with a local private school who is not a member of the state-wide governing body. In my area, even the local Christian high school is a WIAA school.

I really think this is an area where both sides--the governing bodies and the homeschoolers should come together and compromise. I really don't understand the arguments of homeschoolers who don't want to show compliance to a governing body in exchange for being able to participate. If you're following the laws of your state anyway, what's the harm in proving that you are so your child can play high school football?

If my state allowed my son to play football and not be enrolled in the public high school, I would gladly comply with all their requirements.

. I. I really don't understand the arguments of homeschoolers who don't want to show compliance to a governing body in exchange for being able to participate. If you're following the laws of your state anyway, what's the harm in proving that you are so your child can play high school football?

The problems is we don't really have any requirements to homeschool. They are VERY general.. to be honest, I don't even remember what they are it is like general subjects and good citizenship or something. WE have no testing requirements, etc. The requirements to be involved in UIL if you are in ps are VERY tough. They have to have a certain grade point average and they can only miss so many school hours. So, how would a homeschooler show that they have the grade point averages when we aren't even required to keep grades by the state????? How could we show that they aren't missing too many classes when we don't have to keep track of hours or anything. Do you see the difference???

Christine

I wonder if you can look into the local homeschooling organization. Where I am we having something called FEAST and they participating in sports against other private schools.

FEAST is San Antonio isn't it? That is quite a distance from me going the other direction.:tongue_smilie: I love the FEAST bookstore though!

. I. I really don't understand the arguments of homeschoolers who don't want to show compliance to a governing body in exchange for being able to participate. If you're following the laws of your state anyway, what's the harm in proving that you are so your child can play high school football?

The problems is we don't really have any requirements to homeschool. They are VERY general.. to be honest, I don't even remember what they are it is like general subjects and good citizenship or something. WE have no testing requirements, etc. The requirements to be involved in UIL if you are in ps are VERY tough. They have to have a certain grade point average and they can only miss so many school hours. So, how would a homeschooler show that they have the grade point averages when we aren't even required to keep grades by the state????? How could we show that they aren't missing too many classes when we don't have to keep track of hours or anything. Do you see the difference???

Christine

I see the difference, of course. What I'm saying is that it would be worth it to our family to be allowed to participate in high school sports without being enrolled at the public school. I would be willing to provide extra information, comply with gpa requirements, etc. for the opportunity for my children to play. I'm not saying that homeschoolers should have to do this if their children are not playing sports, I'm saying that for the opportunity to play, I would be willing to do this. It would be preferable to the other options which are: don't play; or enroll full-time at the public school.

Once my children are in high school I'm keeping track of their coursework and grades for transcript purposes anyway even though I'm not required to do this by law. It just doesn't seem like a burden to me if the trade-off is I get to keep educating at home. I wish it were an option for us.

Utah just signed an "equal access" law into effect for homeschoolers and extracurriculars. It took five years of repeated lobbying to get it to happen. I was only involved in this last year, and it was only through letter writing.

I wish I could offer more advice/help than that...but it was the work of others, over an extended period of time, that got it passed.

It can happen!

FEAST is San Antonio isn't it? That is quite a distance from me going the other direction.:tongue_smilie: I love the FEAST bookstore though!

Did you say you were in Austin?

I know Austin has competitive homeschool basketball (the Austin Royals) - they may have baseball too. We have several homeschool baseball teams in the Houston Metro area. My kids play homeschool basketball (just got back from the national tournament - fun!) and my son is going to start football this year.

I see the difference, of course. What I'm saying is that it would be worth it to our family to be allowed to participate in high school sports without being enrolled at the public school. I would be willing to provide extra information, comply with gpa requirements, etc. for the opportunity for my children to play. I'm not saying that homeschoolers should have to do this if their children are not playing sports, I'm saying that for the opportunity to play, I would be willing to do this. It would be preferable to the other options which are: don't play; or enroll full-time at the public school.

Once my children are in high school I'm keeping track of their coursework and grades for transcript purposes anyway even though I'm not required to do this by law. It just doesn't seem like a burden to me if the trade-off is I get to keep educating at home. I wish it were an option for us.

Yes, I do as well and it wouldn't be a big deal to me. The problem is the UIL is totally against it and the homeschoolers are as well because they fear that would open up the door for regulations for ALL homeschoolers not just the ones that play sports. We Texans are extremely independent.

Hi Mary,

Christine

Hmmm... I hadn't thought of that.