Menu

Fiction book about cats?

Stacey in NY

The Last Little Cat by Meindert DeJong

My 8yo suggested the Bunnicula series. Not exactly fine literature, but it does feature a cat as a main character.

James Herriot's Cat Stories. We used this as a read aloud a year or 2 ago. Warning! Sometimes the cat(s) in the stories die! If you're prone to ending up a weeping mess in these situations you'll need to skim ahead. In Moses the Christmas Kitten the mother cat dies; in the story about the brother and sister feral cats one (or both) of them die.

picture books

- The Klondike Cat (Lawson)

- Dick Whittington and His Cat (Brown)

- Millions of Cats (Gag)

"stepped" reader books

- The Fire Cat (Averril)

- Mr. Putter and Tabby series (Rylant)

- The Bravest Cat: The True Story of Scartlett (Driscoll)

short chapter books

- The Cat Who Went to Heaven (Coatsworth)

- The Last Little Cat (deJong)

long chapter books

- The Incredible Journey (Burnford)

other books in the Cricket in Times Square series by Seldon, featuring cats:

- Harry Kitten and Tucker Mouse

- Harry Cat's Pet Puppy

- The Fire Cat (Averril)

All Esther Averril's books are wonderful!

• Jenny and the Cat Club
  • Captains of the City Streets
  • The Hotel Cat
  • The School for Cats
  • Jenny's Moonlight Adventure
  • Jenny's Birthday Book

A couple of these are simple picture books, but they are all very charming and well-written. :)

James Herriot's Cat Stories. We used this as a read aloud a year or 2 ago. Warning! Sometimes the cat(s) in the stories die! If you're prone to ending up a weeping mess in these situations you'll need to skim ahead. In Moses the Christmas Kitten the mother cat dies; in the story about the brother and sister feral cats one (or both) of them die.

There are James Herriot cat stories?!?! We've been on a James Herriot stories blitz here. Thanks for telling me!

Papa Piccolo is a picture book set in Venice - it is great.

Also my dd and dh read Time Cat - it is a magical time-traveling cat owned by a little boy. It goes to different periods in history (with the boy) and gives a nice perspective on how cat were treated differently by different civilizations. Each chapter is a different trip trough time.

"Joey Goes To Sea" is a fictionalized story about a real cat and real events aboard the author's tall ship in the 1930's. The cat is portrayed a bit like Winnie the Pooh and the animals talk to each other. The ink illustrations are in the style of Alice in Wonderland. There are five short chapters in the book and I read it aloud to my kids in two evenings. It is perfect for K,1,2 grades.

Don't forget Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats by TS Eliot!

and, if you can, see if you can get a video or audio of Cats (the musical by Andrew Lloyd Webber)! It's lots of fun.

And another recommendation for Catwings by Ursula K. Le Guin.

Regards,

Kareni

My boys and I are doing a unit study about cats. I am looking for a good chapter book (fiction) with a cat as a main character. Ages are 6 & 9. We have read Cricket in Time Square, I can't think of any others. Suggestions please?

We LOVED Miranda by Eleanor Estes...perfect for this age and it is set in Ancient Rome....

WONDERFUL!

Faithe

The Nine Lives of Aristotle by Dick King-Smith is hilarious. It's more a short chapter book but my 7 yo and I just read it and he laughed a ton. Warning: Aristotle's owner is a witch, although quite sweet, but it can't be edited out if that's a problem as there are drawings throughout (and she's always in the big black pointed hat, etc.).

We enjoyed Catwings, by Ursula K. Le Guin. There is a whole series of three or four books, be we so far have only read the first. Funny, I just requested the second from the library a couple of days ago. They are short chapter books, with a few color illustrations, and a few line drawings. Have fun with your unit!

The Nine Lives of Aristotle by Dick King-Smith is hilarious.

I'd forgotten about this wonderful book. Warning though: there is a mean dog that dies from old age near the end of the book. IIRC the death is noted only by his absence and is sentimental without being over-the-top, but this might not be a good choice for very sensitive children.