Menu

Is it safe for a small newborn to ride in a carseat for 10+ hours?

My sister had her baby on Friday morning (after a very short labor I might add.:D) This is her first baby and she is young (16 last month.) Her mom came when she went into labor (she lives in NC.)

My sister is in a school for pregnant teens here in FL (she lives with our brother) and gets two weeks off after having the baby. Then, it is Spring Break. She wants to take her home to NC for 3 weeks and then have someone drive her back (or fly back.) She plans to leave in the next day or two.

My concern is that it wouldn't be safe for a newborn to ride in a carseat that long due to the slumped over/balled up position that most newborns are in. I traveled with a month old baby when my MIL died (and we went 18 hours) but this really isn't a necessary trip (my SIL stays home and has a baby herself, plus there is a lot of other help here in FL.)

I understand that her mom wants to be with her, but I would hate for the baby to have problems. Should I say something to my brother? He would be the one to stand up to their mom and say this is a bad idea (and she would listen to him.) I don't want to be alarmist, though, so I thought I would ask here first.

The baby will be less than a week old and weighs less than 7 pounds.

I had to do this. My oldest was 6 lbs. 8 ounces. We had to use towels or blankets to prop him up. We had to go since we had orders to move to Ohio from California. Now we didn't travel 10 hours a day. Much less. FOr the first part, in the military, you only need to travel 350 miles a day and that doesn't take 10 hours. But we took frequent breaks and just took him with us. He saw the Grand Canyon at slightly over a week old.

When my son was born he was choking a lot on the fluids that were in his lungs. The pediatricians advised me to let him sleep in an inclined position so that the fluids wouldn't choke him. The specifically recommended the car seat since it had one of those wire stands that can keep it stationary and from rocking. He turned out fine. :)

I'd be more inclined to worry that your sister would tire and have an accident. At 16 she isn't an experienced driver and is still in the invincible stage. No one should be in the driver's seat for that long so soon after giving birth, least of all a teenager.

I may be misunderstanding your post though. Did you mean your sister's mom wants to drive her back to NC? In that case, I wouldn't worry. She could even sit next to her in the back seat to make sure the baby continues to maintain proper posture and breathing.

Barb

I'd be more inclined to worry that your sister would tire and have an accident. At 16 she isn't an experienced driver and is still in the invincible stage. No one should be in the driver's seat for that long so soon after giving birth, least of all a teenager.

I may be misunderstanding your post though. Did you mean your sister's mom wants to drive her back to NC? In that case, I wouldn't worry. She could even sit next to her in the back seat to make sure the baby continues to maintain proper posture and breathing.

Barb

Yes, her mom would be driving and she would sit in the back next to the baby. My sister hasn't even taken Drivers' Ed!:D

I think a better solution would be for her mom to fly, or drive, down to FL to spend time with her daughter and her baby.

If she's planning on driving herself, how could she possibly check on her baby and attend to the baby's needs while she's driving? Doesn't sound like a good plan to me. But if someone else would be driving her to NC and she'd be getting a ride back, then that certainly could work. Especially if the driver is willing to make frequent stops as needed. Just my thought.

It's safe if the baby is properly strapped in during the entire time the car is in motion. She'll need to plan on the trip taking twice as long as she will need to stop for every diaper change and every feeding. At that age, I would plan on stopping every two hours, if not more often. I read somewhere that children in car seats should also be let out of the car

seat every couple of hours.

In addition to that, traveling WILL tire mom out a lot. She is likely to feel miserable....tired enough to possibly make her feel nauseous. (I rode 25 minutes to church a week after my first was born. Halfway through the service, I felt so bad I really regretted going. And all I did was ride in the passenger seat and walk to my seat in the sanctuary.) Her bleeding will still be quite heavy and traveling will likely increase the bleeding. If she goes, she'll need to be extra careful to rest more than usual to recover from the traveling. Remember you can put yourself back into the hospital from overdoing it after birth.

Honestly, I would be more concerned about mom than baby.

Edited by joannqn

I think a better solution would be for her mom to fly' date=' or drive, down to FL to spend time with her daughter and her baby.

If she's planning on driving herself, how could she possibly check on her baby and attend to the baby's needs while she's driving? Doesn't sound like a good plan to me. But if someone else would be driving her to NC and she'd be getting a ride back, then that certainly could work. Especially if the driver is willing to make frequent stops as needed. Just my thought.[/quote']

I wasn't clear. Her mother is here in FL, but cannot stay because she has to get back to work. She wants my sister and the baby to come back to NC with her so she can see them when she isn't working. Then someone would bring them back (or she could fly back with the baby.)

Oops - just saw above post - I was typing the other when it came though. :)

Why not? Grandma will be sure to make her grandchild's needs a priority during the drive. :001_smile: Might be a nice break for your sister, and a great chance for Grandma to pass along some good helpful advice too. I would think driving is much better than flying, but the pediatrician would know better about that. Maybe even airlines have regulations on a minimum age.

Yes, her mom would be driving and she would sit in the back next to the baby. My sister hasn't even taken Drivers' Ed!:D

LOL, okay. Whew! Then in all honesty, it seems like a perfectly safe situation to me. Congratulations on your new niece (nephew?)! Have you had a chance to snuggle the baby? Mine is 1.5 now and I really wish someone I knew would have a baby!

Barb

It's safe if the baby is properly strapped in during the entire time the car is in motion. She'll need to plan on the trip taking twice as long as she will need to stop for every diaper change and every feeding. At that age, I would plan on stopping every two hours, if not more often. I read somewhere that children in car seats should also be let out of the car

In addition to that, traveling WILL tire mom out a lot. She is likely to feel miserable....tired enough to possibly make her feel nauseous. (I rode 25 minutes to church a week after my first was born. Halfway through the service, I felt so bad I really regretted going. And all I did was ride in the passenger seat and walk to my seat in the sanctuary.) Her bleeding will still be quite heavy and traveling will likely increase the bleeding. If she goes, she'll need to be extra careful to rest more than usual to recover from the traveling. Remember you can put yourself back into the hospital from overdoing it after birth.

:iagree:

LOL, okay. Whew! Then in all honesty, it seems like a perfectly safe situation to me. Congratulations on your new niece (nephew?)! Have you had a chance to snuggle the baby? Mine is 1.5 now and I really wish someone I knew would have a baby!

Barb

No, I haven't yet, but I am going up Tuesday. My SIL is due in September, so there are plenty of babies to snuggle (she has a 9mo as well.) It's a niece!:D

I guess I won't say anything then. I wouldn't do it, but if it is safe it isn't any of my business.;)

I actually was with my dad when he drove my daughter, me and of course himself from MI to CA with my 4 month old. We didn't stop to feed.... and diapers were fine... I actually nursed her while she remained in her carseat... Not a bottle the whole ride... but we didn't stop each time she wanted to eat. :)

When my son was 3 weeks we traveled from OR to MI.... in his carseat for most of it.... And I picked the wrong airlines... it was 11 hrs in the airline...

:)

I actually was with my dad when he drove my daughter, me and of course himself from MI to CA with my 4 month old. We didn't stop to feed.... and diapers were fine... I actually nursed her while she remained in her carseat... Not a bottle the whole ride... but we didn't stop each time she wanted to eat. :)

When my son was 3 weeks we traveled from OR to MI.... in his carseat for most of it.... And I picked the wrong airlines... it was 11 hrs in the airline...

:)

I wouldn't have any problems or concerns if the baby were 4 months old. She'll be more like 4 *days* old.

I figure they will stop every two hours so she can feed the baby (there is no way my sister could lean over the seat and feed her newborn - not physically possible.)

You mentioned baby was a little small. Was the baby born prematurely? The reason I ask is that I am a postpartum mother-baby nurse, and we have to do a car seat test on ALL infants less than 37 weeks gestation. We strap the babe in their car seat and test their oxygen level for one hour. If they maintain a good level, they "pass". But they still have to be taken out of the car seat every hour for "rest". Of course, this doesn't apply to full term babies.

You mentioned baby was a little small. Was the baby born prematurely? The reason I ask is that I am a postpartum mother-baby nurse, and we have to do a car seat test on ALL infants less than 37 weeks gestation. We strap the babe in their car seat and test their oxygen level for one hour. If they maintain a good level, they "pass". But they still have to be taken out of the car seat every hour for "rest". Of course, this doesn't apply to full term babies.

No, she was full-term, but only 6 lbs, 13 oz. I said small because that is very small to me, but maybe that isn't really all that small!:D I thought my last baby was tiny and more fragile and he was a pound heavier.

ETA: My concern also was that I have never been able to get a newborn (less than a month) to fit into a carseat and be restrained properly.

No, she was full-term, but only 6 lbs, 13 oz. I said small because that is very small to me, but maybe that isn't really all that small!:D I thought my last baby was tiny and more fragile and he was a pound heavier.

ETA: My concern also was that I have never been able to get a newborn (less than a month) to fit into a carseat and be restrained properly.

I know what you mean! After constantly seeing babies 9lbs and up, little 7 lb babies are tiny! :D

I don't think it would hurt for her to check with her pediatrician. Also we have a group called SafeKids here that specializes in car seat safety. They are the ones who trained us on the car seat tests, and they do the follow up. They are a great resource. Maybe your brother could put a call in to somewhere similar.

ETA: Here is the website http://www.safekids.org

Here in BC Canada when I had my little ds 2 years ago, they were warning us not to let our newborns be in carseats too long as it causes breathing difficulties because they scrunch up. I tried to find an article but only found this clip and at the bottom says to only let your baby be in a car seat for an hour at a time. We were told that some newborns had stopped breathing. Just thought I would mention this. :)

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20090205/car_seats_090205?s_name=&no_ads=

I don't think think that I'd be comfortable with that. At the very least they would have to do it on the baby's schedule, and I'd drive while the baby sleeps, but stop each time the baby wakes to give it time out of the seat, feeding etc. I would imagine a 10 hour drive could take a long time with a baby that age.

When my 3rd baby was born we lived in NC, and traveled to FL for Christmas when he was just 10 days old. We stopped every 2 hours so I could nurse him and change his diaper and walk around for a few minutes. The trip ended up taking at least 14 hours instead of 10, but he did great. He was a large newborn though- 10 lb 12 oz! So, we weren't dealing with a teeny-tiny slumped-over newborn; not sure how that would go. But if your sister can sit in the back next to the baby then I'd say it's probably okay.

:iagree: I think the trip will be more exhausting for the mom. All of the feedings, diaper changes, restroom breaks (if she had an episiotomy?), and her energy level... oh my stars!! That would be horrible trapped in a car for hours at a time. Plus she needs to be drinking LOTS of water to avoid dehydration (and eating for calories) and sleeping when baby is asleep. I cannot see the car ride as being a pleasant experience. :confused:

I think she needs to ask her pediatrician. That way the information is coming from what is hopefully a respected professional that the new mom may be more willing to listen to. My son was just over 6 pounds as a newborn and he was fine in a car seat. but I did have to watch his head and neck. My daughter wasn't supposed to be in a car seat for more than 1 hour for a very long time - but she had been a preemie. I agree that the new mom may be more tired than she realizes. I was beyond exhausted at the newborn stage - and I adopted both of mine. I had gyno surgery the morning after my son was born I thought I would never feel better between the surgery and the lack of sleep. OTOH, my cousin had her first at 16, a c-section no less, and she bounced back like it was all no big deal. She carted her new baby all over the state and he did just fine within a couple of weeks. And yes, we thought she was a bit crazy.

I would not feel comfortable with that if it were my baby. My kids all had the 'falling head thing' when they were little. Our pedi did not know of any issue with that when our dd was a baby, but by the time our 4 yr old was born he warned me not to put the baby in a carseat unless it was necessary until he could hold his head up on his own. It can cause death due to breathing difficulty. If the mom was instructed on how to hold baby's head up to make sure she is breathing, then maybe, but even then I would be nervous about it. Even with a properly installed seat my kids did not keep their heads up while sleeping.

Ds was 3 weeks old when we took him on a 14 hour car trip. I sat in the back with him and took a manual breast pump along. He did fine with stopping every couple of hours. We had one of those car seat inserts (forget what they are called) that was like a padded rolled towel around his head that kept him in a better position.

I would definitely have her in back with him at all times.

We adopted our baby from a city 16 hours away from us. We drove home with her on day 10 and did the trip all in one day with no problems. Obviously we had her out of her seat to feed her and change her. I have fond memories of that trip. Traveling 16 hours with a new baby. We were so nervous.