Menu

Wanting a drastic change in our education... (CC)

Dianne-TX

I'll keep this short and simple. What curriculums are out there that are just full of the Lord and Christ in each subject? We are wanting to do an entire overhaul on the education of our children. Sadly, we just don't include the Bible and God enough in each subject, it's more of a seperate thing we do with our family worship, etc. We are in the reformed camp and counter-cultural to what the present day church is promoting. No debate please, just examples of what curriculums/resources are out there that fit what we are wanting. BTW, dc are 9 and 7 and one on the way. I would also love to know what great books are out there from past generations and great men of the faith that we must read. Thanks.

Well, Classical Conversations... the one a week group that meets....(weekly during the school year) has this philosophy. The Practicums are held once a week. Go to the event calendar at classicalconversations.com to see where the one closest to you is.... You might go to a free Practicum (seminar) just because they are good. (regardless of whether you want to weekly get together) The Noah Plan....(is that what it's called?) is also striving to do this, I believe.

We've used the following curricula, all with a Biblical worldview:

*Greenleaf History Guides

*Veritas Press History and cards (love the cards)

*Truthquest (I don't care for the format, but it is thoroughly Christian based)

*Apologia science, elementary through high school

*Rod and Staff Grammar

*Traditional Logic, I and II

*Thinking Toolbox and Fallacy Detective

*Communicators for Christ speech materials

*our handwriting is Bible verses, but I can't recall the name!

Just as important as curricula choice has been all of the independent reading and read alouds from a Biblical worldview that we have done over the years. There are sooooo many excellent books from classics (Heidi and Hinds Feet on High Places for example) to reprints (Lamplighter, GA Henty) to missionary biographies (YWAM) and more.

HTH,

Lisa

You might search Happy Grace's threads, as she is one who has brought this up several times with her thinking through the issue. Here's my quandry or two cents or whatever you take it as. There are christian curriculum providers that are entertainingly christian (for want of a better word) in the early years and tack on a Bible verse here or there for good measure. So the math will be seals and circuses and fun stuff with a few Bible word problems thrown in or a Sunday school scenario. However as you get older, say into Junior High, suddenly those curricula get really profound and tackle issues. So the BJU earth science has incredibly profound chapters on evolution, their junior high history tackles things in the discussion in the tm, etc. But there's not that real personalization and depth you're talking about, not at the lower levels where you are.

Jeanie Fulbright's elementary science series (Apologia) is the only thing I've seen that really scratched my itch in that respect, giving me that real spiritual touch even in a science course. The Susan Hunt books for kids are very profound. But the question is WHY are curriculum providers, even christian ones, not doing this? You could go with a unit study approach (the names slip me, but I've seen ones that try really hard to be religion-centered). You could avoid every topic that doesn't lend itself easily to teaching the Bible (latin, etc.). At some point you have to define what it is you're looking for and what is missing in your day. Perhaps if you rescheduled and had 30-40 minutes a day for Bible reading, singing, etc. you would feel back on track and more happy with your regular stuff? Perhaps it's that you're so busy just trying to GET DONE the basics that you AREN'T getting done the things you really want to do?

I also think there's something developmental there. The depth you want to see, the thought, the discussion, honestly seems to be more typical to junior high (7th gr +). Some kids do it sooner, but many don't. Those spiritual seeds bloom and grow at different ages in different kids. I think when you foist something on them and require answers it actually sort of backfires. I think you have to keep watering and be patient till you see the spark of growth. I didn't get saved till I was in 6th grade, despite being in a christian home, taught by my mother, etc., so why should I feel like a failure if my (oh so wonderfully, haha) dc doesn't have that spark till later? Do I think that my efforts bring all this about?

Well that's off on a tangent now. What I'm really saying is not to go crazy. Have you thought of having a theme week and doing something different, something much more spiritually focused, just for that week? We do it every May, taking the entire month off for a theme. You get spring fever and want to do something different anyway. Have you read Pilgrim's Progress with your kids? They're a GREAT age for the retelling by (her name slips me, sorry). You could finish your regular history and stuff and then take time to do this. AIG has a curriculum for it, but for your ages it might be just as fun to read it, make a map, dress up, watch the movie, sing the hymn (He Who Would Valiant Be...), etc. I've been thinking lately I wanted to go through Pilgrim's Progress with her again.

Maybe you'd like to do daily Sword Drills with them? You could get a little competition going, hehe. I don't have that dynamic with only one student. There's a book to that title too that is good. Try to add something like that to your day with intention, some work that brings back your balance. I don't think you have to toss EVERYTHING to get there.

I'll keep this short and simple. What curriculums are out there that are just full of the Lord and Christ in each subject? We are wanting to do an entire overhaul on the education of our children. Sadly, we just don't include the Bible and God enough in each subject, it's more of a seperate thing we do with our family worship, etc. We are in the reformed camp and counter-cultural to what the present day church is promoting. No debate please, just examples of what curriculums/resources are out there that fit what we are wanting. BTW, dc are 9 and 7 and one on the way. I would also love to know what great books are out there from past generations and great men of the faith that we must read. Thanks.

A Beka Academy. We used it for years with good success.

We love CLE.

DD10 and I are reading the 5th grade Science text and everyday is about thanking God for His creations while learning how they work.

However, you may want to consider your children's learning styles. Rod & Staff would be a better choice for mastery (staying on 1 topic) and CLE is excellent for spiral (continual review). I have 1 of each child so I'm learning the hard way with my younger one.

The best one that I have found is Heart of Dakota. I didn't think the bible elements were tacked on at all, just really woven throughout the study to show God's providential hand in history, science, etc. That's the best one that I've found that's a COMPLETE curriculum. I did Bigger Hearts last year (Am History for 4th grade with a biographical bent) and am doing Preparing Hearts this year (overview of world history). I am dropping HOD for next year because we've decided to join a local Classical Conversations campus and I just can't do HoD (it's just too full and rich on it's own) and I'm going to miss it SO much. There are lots of samples online, and a nice forum for answers to questions you might have on how to combine kids, etc.

Good luck!:D

You've gotten some great ideas here, so I won't repeat too much. We love CLE. Mystory of History may be along the lines of what you want for History.

One thing I would suggest is to download and listen to Curriculum Advice volumes 1 and 2 from Victoria Botkin. They're AMAZING. Not so much what to buy - but how they took a biblical approach to homeschooling. I've really enjoyed them and listen to them a few times a year to help me refocus my efforst. You can buy it here on mp3. [The first 15 minutes of Vol 1 is for Dads and skeptics to homeschooling - which you may not need - but the rest is worth the $ if you have kids 2nd/3rd grade and down.]

• 4 weeks later...

I've never seen anything more Christ-filled than Heart of Dakota. We are also reformed Christians and find HOD to be a perfect fit for us. It has a focus on the child's character and heart, helping them see themselves in great need of a Savior, so that they might be witnesses to others by their daily example in all things. You can't show others their need for Him, until you see your own-- that's kinda like pointing out the stick in someone's eye while you have a log in yours. While it's not mission minded like I originally sought, it's focus causes my dc to know Him in ways I never thought they would at their tender ages. And what good missionaries they will be! Whether across the world, in their own country, town, or even their own homes!History, science, everything is comes from or points to God and His Word.

Apologia Science is hands down the best! It has creation confirmations through out and is VERY well written! They also have a bible series, writing and geography. Mystery Of History is very good for Christian worldview and it follows the 4 cycle history as WTM and the exploring the world of series is AWESOME and I cant wait to get that myself! And for math, I have a link to some in Answers in Genesis and Bob Jones math! I hope this helps! That is how we are trying to turn our homeschool so if you have any questions feel free to PM me!!!!

science

http://www.apologia.com/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1

the answers for kids books (I believe they are up to 4 now) are awesome to help solidify science and the Bible and their is also the New Answers Book (4 also) for middle school/ high school aged kids

bible, writing & geography

https://apologia.securesites.net/prodap01.php

Mystery of History

http://www.themysteryofhistory.com/

Rod and Staff is good for english

http://www.rodandstaffbooks.com/list/Building_Christian_English_Series/

there is a math book by Answers in Genesis that is great a supplementing a math program, but im not sure how it would be for the program itself

http://www.answersingenesis.org/PublicStore/product/Beyond-Numbers,5528,224.aspx

http://www.answersingenesis.org/PublicStore/product/Exploring-the-World-of-Mathematics,4395,283.aspx

Exploring the world of series

http://www.answersingenesis.org/PublicStore/product/Exploring-Series-The,4992,263.aspx

Bob Jones Math

http://www.bjupress.com/category/Math?path=5

And for when your kids get to middle school english Christian Liberty Press has a VERY good middle/high school english program!

When my older two where younger I read a lot of missionary books. We also used Sonlight's pre-k & K packages. My dc loved New Toes for Tia, Stories from Africa, The God's Must Be Angry and from Core 1 Missionary with the Millers, George Mueller and the list goes on.

My MIL purchased a set of Heroes for Young Readers my older dc enjoy Christian Heroes Then and Now

We used lots of R&S books as read aloud. My dc used their reading program. Sometimes we did the workbooks orally when it seemed like a lot.

I used CLE Grade 3 Social Studies as a read aloud. My two older dc are using CLE Social Studies and they want to reread their textbooks.

My dc also read R&S Science as readers.

Others have mentioned Mystery of History & MFW.

Many times we have mini Bible studies because of the curriculum we use.

I'm thankful that my dc save money for missionaries, we sponsor children and they have a heart of the lost. When disasters happen around the world they donate their allowance, their good toys and pray for them. They have done these things at an early age. My now 11yr. old would find ways to earn money when he was 5yrs. old to help others in need all on his own. I know some of it is because of all those read alouds ;)

Edited by Homeschooling6

I haven't read the other posts but here are my thoughts. The following would fit well with your reformed beliefs. I've used each of them at one point or another.

Tapestry of Grace

Veritas Press

Apologia science at all levels (My favorite curriculum)

A Reason for Handwriting (Another favorite)

Next year I'll be using Sonlight. It's a very good curriculum but not as saturated in Scripture as Tapestry and Veritas. I'm also going to try Christian Light for English and Math. They look good but I don't know if they would be considered reformed.

Hope you can find exactly what you're looking for!

I took my daughters out of a Christian elementary school and we started with CC three years ago. My then-first-grader lamented after the first several weeks that she missed hearing about Jesus and the Bible. She learned a lot of facts (putting the Bible stories in historical context) with the timeline cards, but it's up to each individual tutor as to whether or not the Word of God was peppered in to the classroom.

Today we were relaxing a little (it was our last day) and my students spontaneously started talking about their favorite Bible verses. I nearly cried, because we never have time for talking about Christ in class. There is ONE Bible memory verse for the whole year, but that's it.

I know Moms who use books like "Big Truths for Little Kids" and other resources from Great Commission Publications, which is reformed. http://www.gcp.org/

I will be on a quest, like you, for adding more Christ to our day, and I appreciate all the suggestions here that have been offered. We do use CLE Science and Math and it's refreshing. We also enjoy A Beka.

The best one that I have found is Heart of Dakota. I didn't think the bible elements were tacked on at all, just really woven throughout the study to show God's providential hand in history, science, etc. That's the best one that I've found that's a COMPLETE curriculum. I did Bigger Hearts last year (Am History for 4th grade with a biographical bent) and am doing Preparing Hearts this year (overview of world history). I am dropping HOD for next year because we've decided to join a local Classical Conversations campus and I just can't do HoD (it's just too full and rich on it's own) and I'm going to miss it SO much. There are lots of samples online, and a nice forum for answers to questions you might have on how to combine kids, etc.

:iagree:

• 2 weeks later...

My family is considering a similarly drastic change . . . and from your original post, we sound in a similar camp. ;)

Currently, Tapestry is top on our list. If you visit their website and read their statement of faith, I think you'll like what you read.

Let me know what you decide. Perhaps we could begin the Tapestry journey together. :)

We use (and enjoy) the following programs:

Heart of Dakota (has Bible verses to memorize, CD's to listen to, devotionals to read; plus ties Bible, history, science, etc together)

Apologia elementary science

Rod & Staff phonics and English

CLE Math

A Reason for Handwriting (we've only used K so far, but starting in book A there are Bible verses)

If you are wanting something that is completely Bible based I would recommend SOW. Student Of The Word. Everything is taught straight from the Bible.

I agree!

Nothing is going to compare with it for being focused on the Bible.

The Bible is at the heart of your homeschool.

There is an email list on Yahoo that is helpful also.

The best one that I have found is Heart of Dakota. I didn't think the bible elements were tacked on at all, just really woven throughout the study to show God's providential hand in history, science, etc. That's the best one that I've found that's a COMPLETE curriculum.

:iagree: We've done Little Hearts for His Glory and are about halfway through Beyond with our youngest. I LOVE this curriculum and am so glad I found it almost two years ago on this board. It sounds like this could be just what you are looking for.

Quite a few of the materials recommended so far would not fit with a Reformed viewpoint. ;)

Reformed publishers to look at:

Veritas Press (books and curriculum)

Logos Press/ Canon Press (books and curriculum)

Reformation Heritage Books (great Christian classics)

Christian Liberty Press (curriculum)

Tapestry of Grace is probably exactly what you are looking for. It is an integrated history and Bible program.

Everything FloridaLisa recommended would be good, too. :001_smile:

Quite a few of the materials recommended so far would not fit with a Reformed viewpoint. ;)

Reformed publishers to look at:

Veritas Press (books and curriculum)

Logos Press/ Canon Press (books and curriculum)

Reformation Heritage Books (great Christian classics)

Christian Liberty Press (curriculum)

Tapestry of Grace is probably exactly what you are looking for. It is an integrated history and Bible program.

Everything FloridaLisa recommended would be good, too. :001_smile:

I agree, just to note that Heart of Dakota uses several books from CLP as you listed above. :)

HOD is incredible!! I think I already replied here though about it...I would gush some more, but I'm sure I've said enough already!

We are reformed, too. One year I chose Covenant Home Curriculum. You might want to check their site. They are more rigorous than I could have been, so I only did it one year with two kids; it was too much for me in terms of work load, but I'd call myself a lower achiever than most on these boards.

What I liked about CHC:

**they have written their own teacher materials for the courses they use, with very good discussion questions, and their philosophy comes out in every subject. I tend to be on the same page theologically with them, for the most part, so all that was fine with me.

**their Bible courses are EXCELLENT!

**their Day-By-Day planner has all the course work divided up into the 36 weeks for you.

What I didn't like: too much to do. They say you don't have to do everything, but I couldn't figure out how not to.

We've also done CLE Reading for the past 3 years w/my youngest, and even though we differ theologically on some points with them, I have found CLE to be very God-centered. Many times I will hear a Bible verse and be reminded of the story we read in our CLE book which centered around that verse. One beef with CLE is that they use King James, so I just substitute my ESV translation for Bible memory.

I feel your struggle, and I share it to some extent, regarding my own home school.

Many blessings to you as you explore what God would have for you next.