Menu

I need recipes utilizing canned tuna.

When my dh got notice that he would loose his job (which he did in February) I went a little crazy stockpiling. One item I purchased was a case (24 cans) of tuna. It was on sale and I figured a good storing food. We never eat tuna. Not that we don't like it but we prefer salmon.

Anyhow, we are the proud owner of a couple of dozen cans of tuna and are on a tight budget so I'm looking for recipes that accommodate both criteria.

Any suggestions?

A couple of ideas:

You can mix the canned tuna with mashed potatoes, diced celery and onion, and an egg, and shape into croquettes or patties to bake or fry.

You can drain it and serve over ww pasta topped with olive oil, grated parmesan, and veggies.

You can mix it with olive oil and freshly ground black pepper and some lemon juice and serve over salad greens or as a dip for crudites.

I love tuna prepared as tuna salad with a bit of mayo, a bit of dijon mustard, diced red onion, and fresh dill. Yummy in cold sandwiches, tuna melts, stuffed in tomatoes, or on top of rye crackers.

Dh's Grandmother's Tuna Salad

Of course the lady does not measure so all amounts are approximate

2 cans tuna, drained

1 apple, peeled and chopped

2 stalks celery, chopped

1/4-1/3 cup pecans, chopped

the juice of one lemon

2 Tbls. sweet pickle relish

1 hard boiled egg, chopped

Chopped onion to taste. I prefer not to use it so I have no amount to suggest

Mix everything together and chill for about 30 minutes

My Mom's Tuna Casserole

1 can tuna

1 box mac & cheese

1 can green peas

Make mac & cheese according to package directions. Add tuna and peas, stir. Pour into greased casserole dish and bake at 350* for 20 minutes or until bubbly.

CHEESE TUNA MELTS

Printed from COOKS.COM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

□ 6 slices French bread or as desired

□ 1 (6 1/2 oz.) can tuna, drained

□ 3 oz. cream cheese, softened

□ 2 tbsp. mayonnaise

□ 2 tsp. lemon juice

□ 1 c. shredded American cheese

Brown both sides lightly in broiler and remove. Heat oven to 350 degrees. Combine. Combine all ingredients except American cheese. Divide evenly on each slice of bread. Top with American cheese and bake 10 minutes or until cheese is melted.

Cheesy Tuna & Rice Muffins

2 c. cooked rice

1 c. shredded cheddar cheese

2 6 1/2 oz. cans tuna, drained

1 T. dried onion flakes or chopped onion

1 T. parsley flakes or chopped fresh parsley

1 t. seasoned salt

2 eggs, beaten

2 T. milk

Tangy Butter Sauce:

1/4 c. melted butter or margarine

1-2 T. lemon juice

1/2 t. seasoned salt

1/2 t. chopped fresh parsley or parsley flakes

Preheat oven to 375º. Combine rice, cheese, tuna, onion, parsley and salt. Stir in eggs and milk and mix well. Spoon into 12 greased muffin cups and bake for 15 minutes or until light golden brown. Meanwhile mix the melted butter, lemon juice, salt and parsley. Drizzle over tuna muffins.

This recipe is easily doubled and can also be baked in a greased baking dish for approximately 20-25 minutes.

D

My Mom's Tuna Casserole

1 can tuna

1 box mac & cheese

1 can green peas

Make mac & cheese according to package directions. Add tuna and peas, stir. Pour into greased casserole dish and bake at 350* for 20 minutes or until bubbly.

My mom made something similiar except that she also added a can of cream of mushroom soup and skipped the baking. Since I don't like tuna, i used canned chicken and I use a pound of frozen veggies (usually mixed) instead of canned.

One favorite recipe in our family is Tuna Melts.

I mix a can or two (or 3) with mayo and pickle relish....use proportions you like..... load them up on English muffins and sprinkle with mozzerella chees (could be cheddar too) and put under the broiler for a few minutes Keep an eye on them so the cheese doesn't burn.

They used to make these weekly at the dining hall of our college....we've liked them since then......many years, let me assure you.

Cheesy Tuna & Rice Muffins

2 c. cooked rice

1 c. shredded cheddar cheese

2 6 1/2 oz. cans tuna, drained

1 T. dried onion flakes or chopped onion

1 T. parsley flakes or chopped fresh parsley

1 t. seasoned salt

2 eggs, beaten

2 T. milk

Tangy Butter Sauce:

1/4 c. melted butter or margarine

1-2 T. lemon juice

1/2 t. seasoned salt

1/2 t. chopped fresh parsley or parsley flakes

Preheat oven to 375º. Combine rice, cheese, tuna, onion, parsley and salt. Stir in eggs and milk and mix well. Spoon into 12 greased muffin cups and bake for 15 minutes or until light golden brown. Meanwhile mix the melted butter, lemon juice, salt and parsley. Drizzle over tuna muffins.

This recipe is easily doubled and can also be baked in a greased baking dish for approximately 20-25 minutes.

Oh, YUM! This sounds so good.

a boxed pasta with sauce called Pasta Roni Shells and White Cheddar....one box with one can of drained tuna, put the tuna in when boiling the shells, then prepare as the box says. Then put swiss cheese on top and melt....on a platter or pan....really good.

LBS

Great Tuna Salad:

Take one can of tuna, and rinse and drain it in a sieve.

Put in a medium mixing bowl

Take two sticks of celery and chop them up to 1/4 inch dice, adding this to the bowl. Sprinkle heavily with dried minced onion (from the jar. You can buy big economy size jars of this at Costco.). Add about 1/4 cup of full fat Best Foods/Hellman's Mayonnaise. Mix this all up with a fork. If it doesn't seem very moist, add more Mayo--1/4 is less than I use, but it is a good starting point. Voila, you have great tuna salad!

This is good stuffed into big, hollowed out tomatoes for a light meal, complete it with bread or rolls, or a cup of soup on the side. Or it is also great on toasted whole wheat bread.

The other one:

In a 2 quart casserole, layer:

1 can of mac and cheese (does it still come in cans? I hope so. This is a kind of normal sized can, like the size of a normal can of peas. Not a little can, like a normal can of tomato sauce.)

1 can of tuna

1 more can of mac and cheese

1 more can of tuna

2/3 cup of coarsely grated sharp cheddar cheese

Bake at 350 for 40 minutes.

This is a good fallback casserole for when you don't have much kitchen time, especially if you just keep these items on hand all the time.

I haven't made this in ages (DH does all the cooking these days), and I don't have an exact recipe I can look at right now, but . . .

Mix tuna with some chopped onion, a bit of shredded cheese, and some chopped parsley.

Make a biscuity dough (I think my recipe used Bisquick) and roll it out in a rectangle.

Spread tuna mixture on dough, and then roll the dough into a tube around the tuna.

Put the tube on a cookie sheet, cut partially through the crust every inch or so, brush with egg yolk, and bake at 350 for 25 minutes or so. (Keep an eye on it.)

Make a cheese sauce to pour over the top.

Tuna Cakes

1/2 c. Grape Nuts

1/2 c. milk

1 c. chopped onion, cooked till tender

2 cans tuna

2 eggs beaten

1/2 t. salt

1/8 t. pepper

1 t. lemon join

Let milk and cereal sit for 20 min. Add rest of the ingredients. Brown on both sides until warmed through. Serve with lemon and tartar sauce.

CHEESE TUNA MELTS

Printed from COOKS.COM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

□ 6 slices French bread or as desired

□ 1 (6 1/2 oz.) can tuna, drained

□ 3 oz. cream cheese, softened

□ 2 tbsp. mayonnaise

□ 2 tsp. lemon juice

□ 1 c. shredded American cheese

Brown both sides lightly in broiler and remove. Heat oven to 350 degrees. Combine. Combine all ingredients except American cheese. Divide evenly on each slice of bread. Top with American cheese and bake 10 minutes or until cheese is melted.

You forgot the tomato on top :D

I haven't made this in ages (DH does all the cooking these days), and I don't have an exact recipe I can look at right now, but . . .

Mix tuna with some chopped onion, a bit of shredded cheese, and some chopped parsley.

Make a biscuity dough (I think my recipe used Bisquick) and roll it out in a rectangle.

Spread tuna mixture on dough, and then roll the dough into a tube around the tuna.

Put the tube on a cookie sheet, cut partially through the crust every inch or so, brush with egg yolk, and bake at 350 for 25 minutes or so. (Keep an eye on it.)

Make a cheese sauce to pour over the top.

You can do this with crescent rolls, too. Yum!! and I don't even like Tuna!

Personally, I like to just open, drain and eat on a Pringles chip. If your not big on Pringles then on a saltine, mixed with mayo or not. A six once can is a perfect size for a lunch this way. If you eat it on bread you can make two sandwiches which for some reason is too much. I guess bread is filling so if you want to stretch it tuna fish sandwiches. It is also good mixed with a box of mac & cheese and a can of condensed whatever. Can you tell I don't cook? :001_smile:

I watched a Duggar episode once where the dad (forgot his name---) was left to fix lunch for the kiddoes. Apparently cooking or meal preparation is not his strong suit; he didn't exactly look at home in the kitchen. Anyway, he drained a few cans of tuna and mixed in a bottle of barbecue sauce.

Didn't appeal to me, but some of those kids really like it.

astrid

I watched a Duggar episode once where the dad (forgot his name---) was left to fix lunch for the kiddoes. Apparently cooking or meal preparation is not his strong suit; he didn't exactly look at home in the kitchen. Anyway, he drained a few cans of tuna and mixed in a bottle of barbecue sauce.

Didn't appeal to me, but some of those kids really like it.

astrid

Oh my. That's all I can say.

Well today I opened four cans from tuna stash, chopped some celery, gr onion and pickles. Mixed some mayo, salt and pepper and made tuna sandwiches for our potluck lunch.

I was surprised how yummy they were.

Thanks for all your suggestions. I wonder how many days in a row I can make something using tuna before the gang revolts! :001_smile:

Today I decided for the first time to replicate one of my childhood favorites from Spain, empanadillas de atún or tuna patties. I didn't make the dough rounds, I just bought from the store -Goya brand, look for the word Empanada.

You need sauteed chopped onion, a couple of chopped hard boiled eggs, mix with one drained tuna can and some tomato sauce. Put mix on the dough rounds, fold in half, press sides with a fork and deep fry in olive oil preferably, but any vegetable oil will do. My kids loved it!