Menu

What subjects would you not take a long break from?

I am winding down our school year and planning for a new baby. We will likely start up again mid June. We have finished most of our curriculum and would like to spend the month of April on the art/ music we've neglected and doing extras, read alouds, etc. We will continue math during this time because I just can't get comfortable with taking a long break from math.

Besides math, are there any subjects I should be wary of taking 3 month break from? My kids are 2nd and 4th grade. We've used IEW this year for writing. Am I going to regret setting that aside for so long? We don't do a foreign language, or I would probably not want to set that aside for so long, either.

We've always schooled year round and this is the longest break we've taken. I am just nervous about it, I guess. I think we're all in need of a break, though. I want to be able to take it with a clear conscience.

Thanks,

Marie

Math

I would also continue with some copy work and probably IEW to a degree -- just to keep it fresh.

You might try using Abeka's Oral Language Exercises to reinforce grammar/sentence structure (takes less than 10 minutes and can be done across multiple grades).

Pretty much everything else can be handled through read-alouds, independent reading. Enjoy the new baby and your break!

My dh taught in ps and said that math was THE subject that needed the most review come September. Dc lose so much ground after a 3 mo. break. Other than that, I am making my dc read every day for 30 min. to an hour (depending on age). Summer reading program at our library helps w/ that. Writing will be covered through the continuation of our family newspaper/newsletter. Each dc writes an article every 2 weeks for the paper. It's not "structured" writing like IEW, but it is writing. You could do IEW over the summer...just not as much. Perhaps 2x wk. I don't know the ages of your dc, but you could do grammar informally through oral reviews ("dc, show me the nouns in this sentence or show me all the adjectives, etc.). If they are diagramming already...I would certainly have them practice that on a white board at least once a week. My dd11 forgets the upper level diagramming from week to week. Keep it fresh. Other than that...enjoy your break and your new baby!

Math facts

Greek Flashcards and Write out alphabet every day

And a summer bridge book which covers the basics in every subject.

Oh- and read for 20 minutes every day.

Also here I must do handwriting every day because my son has a LOT of letter reversals and problems with writing. He forgets how to write 30% of the alphabet in 2 days. I shudder to think what would happen after two months.:001_huh:

Around here that would be math, reading and a little writing- either copywork or writing something about a composer or artist (I'd tie that in with your art/music studies).

Enjoy the relaxed pace- I can't wait until summer so that we can have it, too :-).

The dc are going to keep reading on their own, or *you* are going to read to them; no need to do anything formal there. History and science...you don't really get "behind" on these. Not grammar, either, really; it only takes a little review, or reminders.

But math...yeah, ya gotta keep that going in some form.

I know that I should probably include writing, but as my writing leader always said, "a good reader makes a good writer." So, always have them read. Reading covers a multitude of areas. Also, when my father was very sick with the cancer and I was going to my parents house a lot. That's all I could do was have the children read every day and do math facts. You would be surprised how much they learned last year and I did not know it.

Blessings,

Karen

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/testimony

That gives me something to think about. I should have mentioned that dc are very good readers and read hours per day without prompting so I wasn't worried about their reading. I couldn't stop them from that if I tried.

I will also be sure to keep them writing- though it will probably be more informal than our usual studies.

Thanks for all the responses. They were very helpful. I am looking forward to a break.

Marie