Menu

Knock, knock--who's there? And what info do they want?

You're right, COUNT--not demand personal information.

I never said there should not be a census.

We might as well tell Big Brother he can retire. We're turning into a nation of Chatty Cathy's and tattlers.[/quote

Someone hit the nail on the head when they said the grocery store knows more about you. The truth is that Big Brother *is* watching you and controlling you. But, unlike the Big Brother of 1984 (who was a totalitarian state), our Big Brother is Corporate America. I get sent a catalog every time I go to jcrew.com Coincidence? I go to Kroger and it spits out a bunch of coupons that are exactly the items I have bought in my past visits. I go to the apply for insurance and they run a credit check using my social security number.

I will gladly give my information to the government. It's my civic duty. You guys are getting so worked up over nothing. I realize it's the topic du jour on am radio, but really, aren't there more important things to worry about? Like banks making record breaking amounts of money by charging insane overdraft fines? In many cases by purposefully witholding deposits?

http://clarkhoward.com/liveweb/shownotes/2009/09/30/16762/

Margaret

They aren't selling. THey are allowing these groups to add their own questions to the ACS.

I did my research. It's all there for you to find. :)

This cloak and dagger stuff kills me.

I just looked on the ACS website and see now what you mean. They provide the statistical data (as a group, not per individual household) to anyone who asks, basically.

Call me Chatty Cathy, I guess, because I don't really care if people know I live in a 30 year old trailer on less than an acre that I rent for $700 a month. Or that none of us attended an institution of education last year. Or that my dh travels 10.2 miles to work each way and it takes him about 20 minutes most days. Or anything else that the survey wants to know.

I can look at the survey and see where all the statistics come from. What's the median income for my area? How many people live in poverty? How many people don't have air conditioning? What percentage of people have college degrees?

If the Census was selling our details with names and addresses attached, then I would have a major problem with it. They aren't doing that, though - just providing statistical data for geographical areas.

Renee. Now the government is going to do ....*something* with that information. OMG!

My tinfoil hat is at the cleaners.

This cloak and dagger stuff kills me.

I just looked on the ACS website and see now what you mean. They provide the statistical data (as a group, not per individual household) to anyone who asks, basically.

Call me Chatty Cathy, I guess, because I don't really care if people know I live in a 30 year old trailer on less than an acre that I rent for $700 a month. Or that none of us attended an institution of education last year. Or that my dh travels 10.2 miles to work each way and it takes him about 20 minutes most days. Or anything else that the survey wants to know.

I can look at the survey and see where all the statistics come from. What's the median income for my area? How many people live in poverty? How many people don't have air conditioning? What percentage of people have college degrees?

If the Census was selling our details with names and addresses attached, then I would have a major problem with it. They aren't doing that, though - just providing statistical data for geographical areas.

Hi

I just wanted to say, there was no cloak and dagger intended. I have a houseful of sick kids and got interrupted while trying to reply, so cut it short. :) Also, I have no agenda, so I'm not going to spend the time to dig it all up again to *prove* anything, because...I believe you are free to have your *own* opinion on this. :) My posts have been with the intention of *tossing info out there*. It doesn't bother me one iota if you don't agree with it. :)

I *sense* there are assumptions being made about me by my position on this one case and I find it humorous. :) I don't listen to am radio and I can't stand the talking heads that I am suspecting are being implied here. ;)

I think for myself thank you. :) I made my decision based on what I believe the constitution to provide for me, you make yours. (and no, I am not a libertarian OR constitution party member LOL! Shocking isn't it?) Isn't that what our great country is all about?

Peace

Yes, the grocery stores will get that info from you - if you give it to them. You have a choice. You want the coupons and the cheaper price, you give them the info.

People are free to give whatever extra info they want. If you want to tell the world your private info, go for it. Some people are upset b/c the gov't is gathering more info that req'd by the Constitution. If the census were voluntary, I don't think people would have a problem with it. Once you use to power of the gov't to compel someone to give info, you're going to have some people upset.

That's the truth right there! ;)

My grocery store knows all there is to know about me anyway. Probably more than my mother does. lol What did you need to pick up at 2am? What's that newest prescription? ;)

Right! And how about the IRS? They know how many dependents you have, what all of your SS#s are, how much you make each year, where you live and where you work, how much you are putting in your IRA, whether you are writing off educational expenses, whether you own your house or rent, and on and on.

I would feel a bit uncomfortable talking to a census worker that showed up at my door (because of potential scams, etc.) but filling out the form and mailing it to a specified government address doesn't bother me in the least.

Hi

I think for myself thank you. :) I made my decision based on what I believe the constitution to provide for me, you make yours. (and no, I am not a libertarian OR constitution party member LOL! Shocking isn't it?) Isn't that what our great country is all about?

Peace

I think so. I'll go one step more and say that I even support the right for you and/or others to include mocking references to the Holy Bible in your signature lines on forums!

I think so. I'll go one step more and say that I even support the right for you and/or others to include mocking references to the Holy Bible in your signature lines on forums!

:) Thank you, that would be *or* for me. :) I am a Believer and would never mock what I believe to be the Word of God.

I don't fit anyone's pigeon hole. ;)

I'll answer any question. I don't understand why someone would be so opposed to sharing information with the government, but have no qualms about sharing their lives to the world wide web (which once that information is made digital it is perpetual and archiveable, and one day I'm sure easily indexed). We toss our our information every where. I bet at least one person uses the same username and password for this forum than s/he does in a handful of places(including ebay, paypal, and online banking). But suddenly when the big bad government wants info, it's a huge deal. Take a trip to your local gov docs repository (great field trip) and you'll see how this information is used. It has value.

I too comb census records, and recently found my great grandmother as a 9 year old girl in the 1900 census. She didn't go to school, but her older siblings did. Her father couldn't read, but owned a farm that employed 20 farm hands. Her mother had a total of 9 children, all of which were living.

My census form was hand delivered by two very nervous looking women. They lightened up when I was nice to them. They only asked me to verify my address and asked if I had an additional living space on the property (not unusual for our area).

I had a census worker come by the house about a year ago. He went through a bunch of privacy act information and then asked "what is your actual address?" In newish neighborhoods they don't always have all of the addresses correct.

So, Mrs. Mungo, where would you draw the line on giving out info? Now that I think about it, when I look over the ACS survey there is really no need to draw a line (IMO) because they ask just about everything except how many times a day I eat a snack!

I was referring to the census itself. Several people (including yourself, I believe) said they would only answer the first question. There are 10 questions on the actual census, none of them particularly invasive, imo.

I read the questions carefully. I live in Hawaii. It's extremely ethnically diverse. There are often multiple generations of families living in one household because it is so expensive to live here. There are a lot of retired types here and there are state services that address that such as the "Handi-van" that drives people around who would otherwise be homebound. I help with our church's foodbank and see the needs there. Traffic here is horrid and Hawaii has been trying to get federal funding for a train system (very, very needed imo). It asks about rent and insurance-this does affect me personally because it's the way that housing allowances and cost of living allowances are determined for military members. I see the questions as very pertinent to my community, even when they do not have a direct impact on me (although some of them do).

I think the Founders of this nation would be rolling around if they knew about this ACS "information gathering". Like the guy in the video points out, it's just not in the Constitution. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Some of the questions have been asked since the 1700s. So, assuming the founders would be entirely against any/all questions on the ACS is wrong. I think the founders would be so completely flabbergasted by the changes in society in the last 234 years that it would be impossible to determine what they might think.

Here's an idea :001_smile: How about just leaving the money in my pay check and I'll help my community fix its problems? I really would!

So, you're going to let the military know how much BAH its members should get if they move to the area based on your personal survey of rents in the area? There are reasons for this.

Question #21 "How many times has this person been married?" :001_huh: Just wow.

This question is very pertinent when it comes to things like social security and other government programs. I agree with the other poster who pointed out the importance of such questions for genealogy purposes. My great-grandmother was married 5 times. If we didn't know that, it might be hard to track her through databases.

Actually, considering that I fill out a form every year that includes the full names and social security numbers of all our family members and that I got those social security numbers by providing the birth certificate of all children to the SS Administration, *why* would I be concerned about the Census?

Ah, see, here is a problem. When the government collects information for *one* purpose, it may not use it for another. This comes up A LOT in the military.

:iagree:

A general note about stores collecting personal data. When I was driving 4 hours to get to an IKEA from NC I made *darn sure* to give them my information. That's one way stores determine where to build a new store. They now have an IKEA in NC. You are welcome, NC! :lol:

A general note about stores collecting personal data. When I was driving 4 hours to get to an IKEA from NC I made *darn sure* to give them my information. That's one way stores determine where to build a new store. They now have an IKEA in NC. You are welcome, NC! :lol:

*applaud*

Hi

I just wanted to say, there was no cloak and dagger intended. I have a houseful of sick kids and got interrupted while trying to reply, so cut it short. :) Also, I have no agenda, so I'm not going to spend the time to dig it all up again to *prove* anything, because...I believe you are free to have your *own* opinion on this. :) My posts have been with the intention of *tossing info out there*. It doesn't bother me one iota if you don't agree with it. :)

I *sense* there are assumptions being made about me by my position on this one case and I find it humorous. :) I don't listen to am radio and I can't stand the talking heads that I am suspecting are being implied here. ;)

Peace

In that case, I apologize - I took it differently than you intended. It seemed like you were telling me that if I would just look I would agree with you.:D

Ah, see, here is a problem. When the government collects information for *one* purpose, it may not use it for another. This comes up A LOT in the military.

I realize they can't take the info from one source for another. This is why they ask you how many beds/baths you have instead of just asking the tax and/or building dept. to give them the data for an area. Or they ask about school attendance instead of just getting every school to forward their attendance data.

The info they ask for is not really private - there is a gov't agency somewhere that already knows, but this is the only way legally they can collect the data for the statistics.

I realize they can't take the info from one source for another. This is why they ask you how many beds/baths you have instead of just asking the tax and/or building dept. to give them the data for an area. Or they ask about school attendance instead of just getting every school to forward their attendance data.

The info they ask for is not really private - there is a gov't agency somewhere that already knows, but this is the only way legally they can collect the data for the statistics.

Right, I agree.

This is my exact take on it. (Not written by me.)

I will be answering the first question only. As far as the rest, the Constitution guarantees my right to privacy. I will gladly stand up against intrusion. The census originated so that we would have correct and fair representation based on population. Everything else is to aid and abet a bloated system of intrusive government programs and it is not in the Constitution that I have to answer them.

The $100 fine is pure crap. It is a scare tactic and I will not be cowed. Bring it on.

This!!! :iagree:

I'm not going to answer a bunch of personal questions asked by a complete stranger. I don't even answer the door to strangers. Good luck to any Census taker that tries to interview me. As far as the $100 fine...again..good luck with that.

The 10 questions on the basic form that most people will get:

How many people were living or staying in this house, apartment, or mobile home on April 1, 2010?

We ask this question to help get an accurate count of the number of people in the household on Census Day, April 1, 2010. The answer should be based on the guidelines in the 'Start here' section. We use the information to ensure response accuracy and completeness and to contact respondents whose forms have incomplete or missing information.

Were there any additional people staying here April 1, 2010 that you did not include in Question 1?

Asked since 1880. We ask this question to help identify people who may have been excluded in the count provided in Question 1. We use the information to ensure response accuracy and completeness and to contact respondents whose forms have incomplete or missing information.

Is this house, apartment, or mobile home: owned with mortgage, owned without mortgage, rented, occupied without rent?

Asked since 1890. Homeownership rates serve as an indicator of the nation's economy. The data are also used to administer housing programs and to inform planning decisions.

What is your telephone number?

We ask for a phone number in case we need to contact a respondent when a form is returned with incomplete or missing information.

Please provide information for each person living here. Start with a person here who owns or rents this house, apartment, or mobile home. If the owner or renter lives somewhere else, start with any adult living here. This will be Person 1. What is Person 1's name?

Listing the name of each person in the household helps the respondent to include all members, particularly in large households where a respondent may forget who was counted and who was not. Also, names are needed if additional information about an individual must be obtained to complete the census form. Federal law protects the confidentiality of personal information, including names.

What is Person 1's sex?

Asked since 1790. Census data about sex are important because many federal programs must differentiate between males and females for funding, implementing and evaluating their programs. For instance, laws promoting equal employment opportunity for women require census data on sex. Also, sociologists, economists, and other researchers who analyze social and economic trends use the data.

What is Person 1's age and Date of Birth?

Asked since 1800. Federal, state, and local governments need data about age to interpret most social and economic characteristics, such as forecasting the number of people eligible for Social Security or Medicare benefits. The data are widely used in planning and evaluating government programs and policies that provide funds or services for children, working-age adults, women of childbearing age, or the older population.

Is Person 1 of Hispanic, Latino or Spanish origin?

Asked since 1970. The data collected in this question are needed by federal agencies to monitor compliance with anti-discrimination provisions, such as under the Voting Rights Act and the Civil Rights Act. State and local governments may use the data to help plan and administer bilingual programs for people of Hispanic origin.

What is Person 1's race?

Asked since 1790. Race is key to implementing many federal laws and is needed to monitor compliance with the Voting Rights Act and the Civil Rights Act. State governments use the data to determine congressional, state and local voting districts. Race data are also used to assess fairness of employment practices, to monitor racial disparities in characteristics such as health and education and to plan and obtain funds for public services.

Does Person 1 sometimes live or stay somewhere else?

This is another question we ask in order to ensure response accuracy and completeness and to contact respondents whose forms have incomplete or missing information.

Edited by Mrs Mungo
trying to fix quote box(es)

What's with the government wasting money (and my time) on these dumb census commercials???????? Somebody tell me that!

The commercials are completely foolish. More of our money down the drain that could be used for fixing potholes!

I may be really off base here... i do understand everyone's concerns.. but i am in the midst of a lot of family ancestry research and without the census information, i would be no where... i have been able to learn so much because of it. *shrug* i guess it's not a real concern to most people... just throwing it out there. (They don't release census information to the public for 70 or 80? years after, the most current one available is 1930).

:iagree: For this reason and this reason only. I will fill out the complete form.

• 2 weeks later...

Blatant racism!!! From the 10 question census:

NOTE: Please answer BOTH Question 8 about Hispanic origin and Question 9 about race. For this census, Hispanic origins are not races.

8. Is Person 1 of Hispanic, Latino, or Spanish origin?

-No, not of Hispanic, Latino, or Spanish origin

-Yes, Mexican, Mexican Am., Chicano

-Yes, puerto Rican

-Yes, Cuban

-Yes, another Hispanic, Latino, or Spanish origin - Print origin, for example, Argentinean, Colombian, Dominican, Nicaraguan, Salvadoran, Spaniard, and so on.

9. What is Person 1's race? Mark one or more boxes.

-White

-Black, African Am., or Negro

-American indian or Alaska Native - Print name of enrolled or principal tribe.

-Asian Indian

-Chinese

-Filipino

-Japanese

-Korean

-Vietnamese

-Other Asian - Print race, for example, Hmong, Lautian, Thai, Pakistani, Cambodian, and so on.

- Native Hawaiian

-Guamanian or Chamorro

-Samoan

-Other Pacific Islander - Print race, for example, Fijian, Tongan, and so on.

-Some other race - Print race.

Do you think I'd get fined if I filled in 'Human' as my race? Only Question #1 for me.

http://censusfacts.info/

Edited by Devotional Soul

What's with the government wasting money (and my time) on these dumb census commercials???????? Somebody tell me that!

And what's with the letter I got from the census today telling me that I should be receiving my census form in the mail in the next several weeks?

Can we say double the paper, envelopes and postage cost. Umm, I think when the real form gets here I'll notice it just like I noticed your reminder. Duh.

haven't decided if we will fill it out completely or not, though I am inclined to skip questions that are too intrusive.

about the grocery store having more info on us, our doesn't. Bugs me to no end and gives me the creeps, so I ask for the application, take the card they give me with the application and use the card, never turn in the application. The only downside is that I can't use my phone number if I forget the card.

If a census taker shows up at my door, my answer will be six people live here, have a nice day. Should they give me any grief, I already have my handy, dandy constitution out and highlighted. I will also gladly point out my Gadsden, you know, in case they can't see the bright, screaming yellow flag they would have to walk right by to get to my door. :glare:

:iagree::cheers2:

Blatant racism!!! From the 10 question census:

They already asked in another question if you are Hispanic, Latino or Spanish. As it explains, they ask for the purpose of determining what areas might need bilingual voting materials.

Is Person 1 of Hispanic, Latino or Spanish origin?

Asked since 1970. The data collected in this question are needed by federal agencies to monitor compliance with anti-discrimination provisions, such as under the Voting Rights Act and the Civil Rights Act. State and local governments may use the data to help plan and administer bilingual programs for people of Hispanic origin.

Do you think I'd get fined if I filled in 'Human' as my race? Only Question #1 for me.

Don't you miss the good old days of 1780 when the government didn't ask such intrusive questions?

What is Person 1's race?

Asked since 1790. Race is key to implementing many federal laws and is needed to monitor compliance with the Voting Rights Act and the Civil Rights Act. State governments use the data to determine congressional, state and local voting districts. Race data are also used to assess fairness of employment practices, to monitor racial disparities in characteristics such as health and education and to plan and obtain funds for public services.

Edited by Mrs Mungo
trying to fix quote box

haven't decided if we will fill it out completely or not, though I am inclined to skip questions that are too intrusive.

about the grocery store having more info on us, our doesn't. Bugs me to no end and gives me the creeps, so I ask for the application, take the card they give me with the application and use the card, never turn in the application. The only downside is that I can't use my phone number if I forget the card.

I thought I was the only "bad" person to do this, lol. If you ever forget your card....just ask for another application to not fill out.

They already asked in another question if you are Hispanic, Latino or Spanish. As it explains, they ask for the purpose of determining what areas might need bilingual voting materials.

Don't you miss the good old days of 1780 when the government didn't ask such intrusive questions?

What is Person 1's race?

My dad used to have to fill out "equal opportunity" forms at his office once a year to be sure that they weren't discriminating or something (how you can tell that by the racial makeup of an office I haven't quite figured out but I digress). Every year he used to fill it out with the words "Not allowed to look". Every year the uppy-ups in main office would call and give him grief and he'd calmly remind them that in hiring he is not supposed to look at whether they are white, black or purple, so how is he supposed to know it later to count for their form". Every year they send someone else out to count how many purple people there are in his office.

Just because someone is of Hispanic, Latin or Spanish descent doesn't mean they need bilingual ballots.

You'd better believe we'll tell how long it takes for dh to get to work! Our roads are horrid. If it helps get us federal funding for roads, fabulous.

You can be fined for refusing to answer. I realize there are certain politicians and pundits telling people not to answer but this is against the law.

I also hope that people remember that census workers are just fellow Americans trying to do a good job.

I have a loved one working for the census and I pray that this loved one does not meet any rude or worse yet abusive, violent behavior as happened to a poor census worker several months ago who is now deceased as a result:(

Edited by priscilla

What happened???!!!

They found a census worker dead and tied to tree with a reference to the federal government on his body from what I understand:(. I will try and find a link.

Update: I am sorry. Apparently that guy staged his murder for life insurance purposes:(

I still worry though with some of the over the top and vicious talking points by some in the media and politics against the federal government:( Geesh, I tend to believe that there are oodles of corruption in local government compared to federally. I still see government workers though as our fellow citizens, brothers and sisters, mothers and fathers, friends and what not though.

Edited by priscilla

I don't know. It just bugs me about favored "Spanish" status. What about the Chinese Americans, the Canadian French-speaking Americans, the Americans originally from Burma, the Italian Americans and on and on?????? What's with the bilingual (Spanish) offerings everywhere? I mean, if you can't read the ballot to vote maybe you should learn the national language first! Please tell me if you think I'm wrong. I'd like to hear why one language gets special standing over all others. Is it something that started with the Louisiana Purchase!

I speak Spanish, so I have no gripe about hearing it in stores, theaters, post offices, etc.

And as far as the letter sent out to let me know there is another letter coming . . . . just plain wasteful. Fix the potholes people!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll answer any question. I don't understand why someone would be so opposed to sharing information with the government, but have no qualms about sharing their lives to the world wide web (which once that information is made digital it is perpetual and archiveable, and one day I'm sure easily indexed). We toss our our information every where. I bet at least one person uses the same username and password for this forum than s/he does in a handful of places(including ebay, paypal, and online banking). But suddenly when the big bad government wants info, it's a huge deal. Take a trip to your local gov docs repository (great field trip) and you'll see how this information is used. It has value.

I too comb census records, and recently found my great grandmother as a 9 year old girl in the 1900 census. She didn't go to school, but her older siblings did. Her father couldn't read, but owned a farm that employed 20 farm hands. Her mother had a total of 9 children, all of which were living.

The difference is that no one here is twisting my arm or threatening me with a fine if I don't answer personal information. I have NEVER said the names of my children online because I can GUARANTEE you they are very unique and beautiful names. There is no one with my dd's name and only one family I have ever known who uses my son's name (I got it from them).

So - I think there is a HUGE difference between Census Authority and voluntary web info.

And that is MY CONTROL.

I limit the amount of info I put out to the world wide web.

The census is not limited and no government agency is secure from hackers or bribery.

I think big brother is getting a little too big and powerful for their britches.

All of this was predicted over in over again in many languages, in many different times in history. It's even in the Christian Bible!

Who was it who said that if we value anything over freedom we will lose our freedom?

I believe if you want to fill out the census - feel free.

But if you do not - you should feel free to decline.

We do not have the freedom to decline to answer their invasive questions without fear of penalization.

So - what exactly are we valuing more than our freedom here?!?!?!?!?!?!?

That someone down the line can research us?

Sorry, but I write in journals for myself and each of my children have one in which I write letters to them about their lives and what we're doing and how I feel and what's going on in the world.

I do believe my descendants will know all about my family in a very personal intimate way - all they need to do is read the MANY books I am writing about our lives. I don't think the government can tell my story better than I can!!!!!!!!!!

Ben Franklin said we shouldn't sacrifice Liberty for security because we will loose both and deserve neither. I think that applies here.

The reason for Spanish? Here's a paragraph from wiki..

Spanish is the second most common language in the country, and is spoken by over 12% of the population.[6] The United States holds the world's fifth largest Spanish-speaking population, outnumbered only by Mexico, Spain, Argentina, and Colombia. Throughout the Southwestern United States, long-established Spanish-speaking communities coexist with large numbers of more recent Spanish-speaking immigrants. Although many new Latin American immigrants are less than fluent in English, nearly all second-generation Hispanic Americans speak English fluently, while only about half still speak Spanish.[7]

Thank you.

I still feel it is wasteful to spend so much $$$$ making bilingual signs, forms, ballots, etc. Although English is one of the hardest languages to learn (as a second language), it is easy to master if you are immersed in it.

This is my exact take on it. (Not written by me.)

I will be answering the first question only. As far as the rest, the Constitution guarantees my right to privacy. I will gladly stand up against intrusion. The census originated so that we would have correct and fair representation based on population. Everything else is to aid and abet a bloated system of intrusive government programs and it is not in the Constitution that I have to answer them.

The $100 fine is pure crap. It is a scare tactic and I will not be cowed. Bring it on.

I like you!