Menu

s/o: What do you do if you just want to veg without a t.v.?

This is an honest question. We have supper, we take a family walk and then - I'm brain dead. I'm not up for all the wonderful ideas that people have been mentioning on the unplugged threads because I'm brain dead! And for that - the t.v. seems ideal. So what do you do if you just want to veg and not invest any physical or brain power?

We often just sit and talk, or sit together reading our own books, sometimes speaking up to share a passage with all. Listen to books on tape, or dh reads. In the summer, we sit outside in plastic chairs and dream about the garden or watch the sun set. Sometimes dh will take us for a drive (he likes to drive).

We do give in and watch movies, but try to make them meaningful. I have a literature-movie curriculum we still use to talk about what we watch sometimes.

They don't necessarily involve reading aloud. Everyone gets his own book, and you sit quietly together. Each reads his own book. When someone gets drowsy he goes to bed.

I do have one more idea for the no TV time--I used to read to DD AND DH while they built with Kapla blocks. They love those, and I don't like sitting on the floor enough to want to build with them myself. I think my DH likes to be read to as much as DD ever did.

We spend lots of time throwing a ball for the dogs in the back yard and letting them jump over poles we set up. Then we read: in bed, on the couch, at the table, in the bathtub... If we have enough energy we play board games, but usually it's just books.

Come on WTM of course! :) I personally don't watch t.v. much. I am trying to keep up with the Olympics, but even that I'm missing almost everything. Usually I don't have any down time until after 10pm at night so I usually just surf the net, check emails and do work on the computer in my downtime. :) youtube is nice too for watching old music videos and stuff. They have a lot of educational videos on there too so it's nice. :)

Why, come here, of course. Although, sometimes even that requires entirely too much thought. Sometimes, I try to read but if I am too tired then I just end up reading the same paragraph 15 times until I figure out that I am just not going to process that thought tonight. I am also perfectly capable of sitting still and thinking absolutely nothing for up to well, who really knows because I always get disturbed, but I am quite sure I could do it for a really long time. :tongue_smilie:

Why, I come HERE! LOL. I guess that isn't family bonding though.

That's what I was going to say- I come here !!

My computer is in the same room as the kids' computers and the TV, so I can blob out while in the same room as them whiel they watch TV or play ion their computers. It sorta counts as family bonding.:) We still communicate a bit. :)

Other than that I curl up in bed with a good book.

Audiobooks or audio podcasts. Before the kids were born Hubby and I would spend hours just lying in bed listening to a good book together (audible.com rocks!). I miss those days sometimes, lol. If you don't want to spend money on audio books libravox has free recordings of classic books. Relisten to a favorite classic. You don't have to pay too much attention if you already know the story. If you do it while lying in bed you can just fall asleep. :)