Menu

Timelines with WTM

Daisy

For grammar stage, we don't do timelines. For logic stage, we are on our second year of a homemade timeline. We have about 6-7 feet of available space on one wall of our school area. We taped together large sheets of heavy white paper (12x18 in size, I think), drew a line down the middle with a yardstick, and counted up the number of centuries we needed to cover. Then we divided the available line space by the number of centuries, so we'd know where to make the marks. It's worked well!

Last year, ancients, was harder, because there are so many more centuries to include, so there's a lot of blank space and many entries get jammed in at the end. This year, middle ages, looks much neater, things are spaced out more evenly.

At the end of last year, we took down the timeline, folded it up and put it in her notebook. I would have loved to have an entire timeline on the wall, but it's not possible b/c of space...especially b/c next year my ds will have a timeline too--not sure where that is going to go!

Starting in about third grade I print off a Book of the Centuries, each kid has their own. It's still going strong for my logic stage kid, who also uses KHE. He has a history binder set up like the WTM suggests, with that timeline in the back of it (big binder). I intend it to last him for the rest of his schooling.

I bought one spool of ribbon about 1/4 inch think. I tacked it down in several places across our timeline wall and now we do events on 3X5 cards. There's a picture (printed from computer, copied from text or drawn by hand) with a date on one side (all the stuff from Africa is yellow, Asia is pink, Mesopotamia is green, etc). Then on the back of the cards I have the kids write 2-3 sentences about the significance of that event (bascially short narrations). Not every entry has a narration on the back, that would be too overwhelming and time-consuming. But, I had each dc choose 5 events from each civilization and they were responsible for narrating/decorating those cards.

Then, I punch a small hole in the top left of the 3X5 card and stick a paper clip through it. We then hang it by the paperclip to the right spot on the ribbon on the wall. The dates are written big enough to be clearly seen. So, there are no dates on the wall itself but all the events are in order. When we finish a new civilization it's easy to put those events in the right chronological order, too. And, the color coding helps the kids to clearly place the right events from one civilization in context with what was happening in another civilization at the same time.

Okay, I just read through this, if it's too confusing just ask and I can post a photo or something. I really like it, it's working really well for both my logic stage students (5th and 7th grades). Even my grammar age kid likes it.

Hope this helps, I've found it to be so much easier than the paper ones we've made in past years.:001_smile:

Can you share with me what type of timeline you use with your

Logic stage child (who will be using Kingfisher for outlining)?

and

Grammar stage child (SOTW)?

We are using the Book of Time (from SL) and stickers from Homeshcool in the Woods. Even my four year old can understand that the stuff in the front of the book happened first (and so on). My grammar stage boys color the stickers and put them in the book, but an older child would not be insulted by these stickers--they are classy and not at all babyish. The same book can be easily shared by more than one child for more than one year.

I'm not a "crafty" person, so I appreciate that our timeline easily fits on the shelf next to our other history stuff.

I use History through the Ages time line figures. Last year we did one big timeline for ancients, but this year I cut large tag board pieces into quarters and taped them together into a book for each child. It folds up nice and we'll just add pages as we need to. I plan on a new time line for each of the 4 segments of history. Under the figures the younger children place their narration pictures from the week and my older two place their written narrations. I kind of combine the notebook and time line into one.

We are using a spiral notebook with 10 years per page. She writes events from the Kingfisher book in a vertical format. She decided on her own to list on the right the location of the event.

I am contemplating doing some kind of special timeline next year because we are doing American history in one year. I hope to find some good ideas here.

Easy Timeline Creator--but it's software.

I got it a couple years ago and it's pretty easy to use. I can add images from anywhere and it makes them the right size. Only problem is not being able to print unless you constantly want to toss and replace parts of it as more events get added.

We weren't doing a timeline at all and this one gets done though. I consider it a vast improvement over nothing--and it's way cheaper than the Homeschool in the Woods figures.

I bought one spool of ribbon about 1/4 inch think. I tacked it down in several places across our timeline wall and now we do events on 3X5 cards. There's a picture (printed from computer, copied from text or drawn by hand) with a date on one side (all the stuff from Africa is yellow, Asia is pink, Mesopotamia is green, etc). Then on the back of the cards I have the kids write 2-3 sentences about the significance of that event (bascially short narrations). Not every entry has a narration on the back, that would be too overwhelming and time-consuming. But, I had each dc choose 5 events from each civilization and they were responsible for narrating/decorating those cards.

Then, I punch a small hole in the top left of the 3X5 card and stick a paper clip through it. We then hang it by the paperclip to the right spot on the ribbon on the wall. The dates are written big enough to be clearly seen. So, there are no dates on the wall itself but all the events are in order. When we finish a new civilization it's easy to put those events in the right chronological order, too. And, the color coding helps the kids to clearly place the right events from one civilization in context with what was happening in another civilization at the same time.

Okay, I just read through this, if it's too confusing just ask and I can post a photo or something. I really like it, it's working really well for both my logic stage students (5th and 7th grades). Even my grammar age kid likes it.

Hope this helps, I've found it to be so much easier than the paper ones we've made in past years.:001_smile:

This is a great idea! We do cards so that we can review them, but I never thought about hanging them. Sometimes we line them up on the piano, but this is a much better idea. Thanks!

I just ordered the Add-a-Century timeline (which I found out about here, of course :)). It looks fantastic - you can add pages in at any time (or take them out and replace them if your toddler scribbles on them), you can put it in a binder, or hang it on the wall, or take pieces out and hang it on the wall and then return it to the binder and put a different piece up. Another great feature is that if you run out of space in a crowded century, they have "flip-ups" that triple your space without crowding.

I haven't used it yet, as I just pushed the "order" button, but I'm very excited to receive it. :D

Edited by matroyshka
Added link

I didn't end up doing a timeline with my elementary stage child. In fifth grade, I bought this timeline from Peace Hill Press at convention and we've been using the SOTW review cards, thumbnail prints printed off from the web, stickers, his own drawings, etc. to create a timeline book:

http://www.amazon.com/Wonders-Old-Blank-Timeline-History/dp/1932786104

Has anyone used card stock and made an "accordion" type book for a timeline? I don't have wall space, but was thinking this might work as we could unfold it to see a bigger picture, only unfold a section, or just flip through it like a book. I'm thinking if the pages are taped together with packing tape or something durable only on the backside, it should fold either direction. Just curious if anyone has btdt; my desire to buy office supplies is itching to go buy a pack of card stock at Staples! ;)

Has anyone used card stock and made an "accordion" type book for a timeline? I don't have wall space, but was thinking this might work as we could unfold it to see a bigger picture, only unfold a section, or just flip through it like a book. I'm thinking if the pages are taped together with packing tape or something durable only on the backside, it should fold either direction. Just curious if anyone has btdt; my desire to buy office supplies is itching to go buy a pack of card stock at Staples! ;)

I think taping it together might be a problem for me (I'm just never that coordinated:tongue_smilie:). But, you might try hole punching the cards in the corner or side or top corners (whatever works) and using those little (or big) metal rings. You'd get something comparable to a rollodex (sp)?? You could still add to or change (something cards give you that a wall timeline doesn't) or change up your colors or add tabs to certain cards to seperate time frames (ancient/medieval, etc)......Just thinking out loud.;)

I just started doing what Jen+4dc has posted. Only I use 4 x 6 cards and I haven't hung any up yet. I do plan on hanging them up on picture hanger wire strung up like a clothes line on the wall and attach the cards to the wire with clothes pins. I already have one of these strung on our wall for the kids' artwork and I really like it. I just need to find a place for our timeline. :001_huh:

I think taping it together might be a problem for me (I'm just never that coordinated:tongue_smilie:). But, you might try hole punching the cards in the corner or side or top corners (whatever works) and using those little (or big) metal rings. You'd get something comparable to a rollodex (sp)?? You could still add to or change (something cards give you that a wall timeline doesn't) or change up your colors or add tabs to certain cards to seperate time frames (ancient/medieval, etc)......Just thinking out loud.;)

Thanks for the idea and possible concerns with taping (I could see getting rather frustrated if I were taping completed pages together and messed it up!). I think I might just start on cardstock and then decide what to do with it - tape or 3-ring binder ... It does make me want to do history every day to get started (we do history on Mondays).

• 2 weeks later...

(I just blogged about this yesterday, so I'm copying down what I wrote.)

I like to try everything, so we have quite a few timelines on hand. We started with simple handmade ones that ran up the staircase. My favorites are:

I just started using the timeline software, and am finding myself using these all the time! So much fun. I do plan to post a detailed comparison of these timelines one day.

I did this... it wasn't too bad. I used large tagboard pieces. Cut them into quarters and taped them together with clear packing tape on one side. Nice big space. We put our timeline pieces on it as well as the kids' narration/pictures.

I have some picts (not the greatest, but gives you somewhat of an idea)

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_bhDiRcvuF18/S3XQyNkuEzI/AAAAAAAAARQ/1GVs7Zjabvo/s1600-h/DSC_5154blog.jpg

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_bhDiRcvuF18/S3XQz8agVlI/AAAAAAAAARY/45GtM6bgjh0/s1600-h/DSC_5156blog.jpg

I did this... it wasn't too bad. I used large tagboard pieces. Cut them into quarters and taped them together with clear packing tape on one side. Nice big space. We put our timeline pieces on it as well as the kids' narration/pictures.

I have some picts (not the greatest, but gives you somewhat of an idea)

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_bhDiRcvuF18/S3XQyNkuEzI/AAAAAAAAARQ/1GVs7Zjabvo/s1600-h/DSC_5154blog.jpg

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_bhDiRcvuF18/S3XQz8agVlI/AAAAAAAAARY/45GtM6bgjh0/s1600-h/DSC_5156blog.jpg

Thanks for the pictures. :D We just started ours; I bought letter sized cardstock and am hoping it'll be a good size. Now I'm struggling with what to put on the time line. :o I have two reference books of time lines, so that is where I'm going each week when I'm planning our history lesson. So far I am just using Google images; I'm still debating buying a time line image book/CD/program.