Menu

Walker VS Talker

Is there anything to that theory? My youngest seems to be the only child that hasn't had at least a 10-20 word vocab at the age of 15 months but he also walked at 9 months. Is it b/c he didn't really ever crawl? This kid literally went from sitting there to standing up and walking! Couldn't the 6th one just have been a little easier for me!!??

Totally anecdotal...

My 3 walked at 9 months, 9 months & 10 months.

They were all super delayed in speech but were caught up by 3 years.

But they also had almost constant ear infections, despite having been br3astfed only, no daycare, no one around them smoking babies.

I was told I did not talk until I was almost 3 but when I did, it was in complete sentences. I guess I woke up one morning after going to a b-day party with bunches of little kids.

Four of my six walked at 9 months. They were early talkers as well.

My oldest dd talked very early and a LOT, but didn't walk until she was 17 months old and never crawled at all.

My youngest dd walked at 8 months, but was delayed in her speech. I think it is because her brother, who was 9 months older, talked for her.

I had three early talkers and late walkers. My oldest was a very early talker. She was saying actual words by 8 months and a least a few hundred words by 1 on the other hand she didn't walk until 13 months. My other two were talking by (not quite as much) and they both didn't walk until 14 months.

My nephew on the other hand was walking by 10 months but didn't talk until 2.

It's opposite in my house. *shrug* My kidlets who walked early also talked and did nearly everything else early. The one who was walking before 9 months old will be two later this month. I couldn't begin to count all the words in her vocabulary at this point. She can say actual sentences, understands two part commands, knows a few colors, knows that letters are to be read and pretends to read her favorite books.

My more average walkers had more average development across the board.

All six of my children follow that theory, I guess. We had *one* early talker and she didn't walk until about 15 months. All the rest were walking well between 10 and 12 months and were pretty slow to become intelligible speakers. LOL

(Btw, that early talker was also our earliest potty trained; the most frustrating part of potty training was waiting for our others--and current 3 1/2 yo!--to be able to convey their readiness with words!)

My oldest walked and was talking quite plainly just after turning 1. (She was 7 weeks premature, so this might be considered walking and talking "early" for her.)

My youngest didn't walk till 17 months and didn't say more than about 3 words till he was 2.5yo. He doesn't do anything in life until he can do it RIGHT. I swear that I heard him whisper a few complete sentences long before he actually talked...as though he was trying them out. He also went from "cruising" by holding onto furniture to walking and running w/o falling down. I'm not sure when he would have practiced walking w/o my seeing him, but he never went through that wobbly landing on the butt phase most kids experience as they learn to walk.

It seems to be independent v talkers in my experience.

My daughter is still not using two word sentences (despite using her first word for meaning at 7 1/2 months) and she'll be three in April, but she is a very independent person and can climb things that leave 8 year olds sooking down the bottom. My cousin is 4 and will talk all day, but can't play on play equipment without an adult. Not because he's too sooky, but because he can't figure out what to do without having someone to narrate to while he does it!

Rosie

It really is pretty unusual for a 15 month old to have 10-15 words. Most have 1-5, which INCLUDES meaningful gestures or signs. So if a kid says, "Ma," shakes head no, signs milk and waves bye bye, that is a pretty good vocabulary at 15 months.

Certainly kids concentrate on one thing or another, focusing on developing motor skills, for instance, instead of speech. But honestly, 15 month olds aren't known for being gregarious.