Menu

Ballet moms - we are disappointed again...

I have posted here before about our ballet disappointments. My daughter is 10yo (turns 11yo in May) and has been in a level 2 ballet class at a classical ballet conservatory. This year they added a prepointe strengthening class wearing canvas slippers for level 2 students. The teachers and AD evaluated the students this month to decide who would be ready for prepointe or pointe shoes. The email came today stating the requirements for strength and coordination in great detail, and that if you were chosen you would receive an individual email. My daughter did not receive an individual email. We aren't sure how many students were chosen. They said they would reevaluate in May. She will wear her canvas slippers to prepointe class and the others students will begin to wear the shoes they were chosen to wear.

She now wonders if she will not make it into the level 3 beginning pointe class again next year when her spring evaluations come out.

She is so sad and disappointed. And discouraged.

I have encouraged her that she has many years of dance ahead of her. If she dances through high school and starts pointe at 12/13 yo she will have many years on pointe - and beautiful perfomances ahead of her. Any encouragement? Has anyone else been in this place?

UPDATE from page 4:

She went to ballet last night and only the 12-15 year olds in her class received pointe shoes. So, 5 out of 11 girls in the prepointe class (she also dances 3x week in ballet technique). The only girls who have prepointe shoes are the 2 whose moms went and bought them bc they signed up for the "prepointe" class and were excited and confused. They told the students that to begin in pointe younger than 12 is an extremely rare exception...

Apparently, this mid-winter evaluation was instigated by the students who noticed the 2 girls had prepointe shoes and badgered the teachers and AD if they could buy/wear them also. So, she will keep focusing on strengthening in class and they will reevaluate every spring. She is encouraged!

Edited by LNC

The only thing I can say is that it is good that they are evaluating the students individually. I was put on pointe before I really was ready and did suffer technique-wise because of it. I know how disappointing it is to not take that next step and to see others moving ahead that are your peers, but really it is GOOD to be certain you are physically prepared for it.

Hi, another ballet mom here. I'm sorry for her disappointment. My daughter was struggling with this the last few years as she's two years younger than the class of girls she dances with. Honestly what helped her the most was seeing how tough making the transition was on her classmates! Even with good fitting shoes and an excellent teacher, most of the girls complained about pain until they got over the initial hurdle. My daughter isn't the least bit fond of pain so that did more to convince her she wasn't ready than anything I could have said.

Because of my daughter's age in contrast to her ballet classmates, I've always had to stress that no matter where she is in terms of age and/or ballet skills, there will always be girls at different places. They can control things like how well they pay attention to the instructor and how hard they work, but physical strength and bone maturation is critical for girls to be successful on pointe, and those are things that only time can make happen.

My dd dances, but it a little younger. She will be 10 in May. Our studio rarely lets anyone on pointe before 12. Most of girls are closer to 13 before they are allowed on pointe.

I have talked to several moms that danced and all of them said it was a mistake to start pointe at 11. Two of the moms I talked to that started at 11 regretted the decision. My dd seems to be a little later on physical development and I am leaning towards not letting her start pointe until 13. I want to be safe and make sure her body can handle the difficulty of the work. This probably doesn't help, but at least she knows that she is not the only one who is going to have to wait.

Jan

Often, while girls may have their technique down their own physical structure, including their bones, are not ready for the onslaught of physical demand brought on by being "en pointe." It's okay to be disappointed. It's not okay to make your body do something that it's really not ready to do.

My dd's studio has most of the girls go on pointe when they're around 11. My dd missed the spring pointe test because she was out of the country, and she just took the mid-year one - and now she's the *only* kid in her class that's not on pointe. She's crushed.

The teacher did give her good feedback and told her the only thing she had to work on was foot flexibility (how straight she can point the foot), and that she was very close - so now we're doing foot stretching exercises every day. The teacher was hopeful it would be before the end of the year... we'll see...

Another thing to recognize is that, not only is the "young pointe" phenomenon a recent one (last 20 years or so) it is an American one.

Girls simply did NOT used to be allowed on pointe until they were 13/14/15 due to physiology. It was around then that, for most of them anyway, their feet had stopped growing, and they had (or hadn't) gotten boobs. Additionally, teachers could assess what their "general" body type was going to be. If it was obvious that a girl was going to be short and curvy (or much taller than the average male dancer), well, sad as it sounds, she was never going to advance to the higher levels of ballet - so there was no reason for her to put in the hours and pain (!) of pointe.

I used to know the prima ballerina of the SF ballet. She was about 5'8", all muscle, and weighed about 140 pounds because of it. To look at her, you would think she weighed about 120 - she had that "long, lean" look. She also had the most mangled feet I had ever seen. It comes with the territory.

We here in America have a very egalitarian view of most things. If a person wants to do something and, more or less "can" do something, they "should" be able to do it. The rest of the world doesn't necessarily think that way. Internationally, ballet is viewed quite strictly. Women in the chorus meet height and shape guidelines. Primas are always in a class of their own. People go to the "big" companies to see an illusion, and that illusion is a certain archetype.

There is certainly no reason your daughter cannot dance ballet her entire life, no matter when she starts (or does not start) on pointe. I have a sister who has a body type that is completely inconsistent with ballet (short legs, large bosom, hippy), yet she has always adored it - it frees her. She has made it a point to take classes her entire life. She will never be in a troop or on stage - even an "alternative" production - even though she is very good - but that doesn't mean she has to love it any less or that it brings her any less joy.

a

Our understanding here is they typically do not consider girls until they are 12 or 13 because they need 4 years of INTENSIVE training prior to point, meaning 4 or 5 classes per week, and usually girls aren't ready for that time commitment until they are at least 8. In addition, sometimes the best dancers take longer to physiologically mature.

I guess what we are all saying is, let her know that anything worth having is worth waiting and working for. It's not about being first!!!

10 or 11 is too young to be on pointe....her foot is not developed enough and it's doubtful that her strength would be on par either. The bone tissue in the feet MUST be finished growing or permanent damage can occur. While obviously some girls may complete this earlier than others, short of a doctor examining each girl, they typically use age as a determination. I'm sure that there are exceptions, but most dancers aren't on pointe that young, because it's considered dangerous to do so even in "prodigy" type students. (By the way, if you want to look up more information about foot development, the term you want to start your research is ossification).

Perhaps you could privately talk to the AD and/or teacher and find out specifically what your daughter should be doing in addition to the classes and practice at home to prepare for pointe so that once she reaches the correct age she will have also reached the other prep requirements.

Perhaps if she were to know that it was her age not her skills she would not feel so discouraged. You also need to warn her about the very serious and very real consequences if she decides to try to dance en pointe without the proper shoes (which commonly is tried at home practice because most teachers would mete out serious punishment if they see it in class). I know it's hard not to want to 'try' but she needs to realize that it only takes a moment for a break or other injury to occur and her ballet career would be ended forever.

This conservatory goes by skill and not ages. Her little best friend who is a tiny 9yo went on pointe last year after 1 year of ballet.

My daughter's class has an 8yo, lots of 10yo-12yo and some teens. It seems most "good" girls go to level 3 at age 10/11 which has beginning pointe work. But no one dances in a pointe performance until their teens in level 4-6. Those are always teens. Does that make sense?

So, if she goes to ballet 3 at age 12 and begins pointe there, she wouldn't expect to move to level 4 for two more years. Then, she wouldn't dance on pointe until 15 ish. Which is fine right??? She will still have two years of pointe performances while she is in high school.

Her friend was 9yo in beginning pointe. She doesn't dance or perform on pointe yet. I explained above. There are 1-2 girls per year like this.

My daughter hears about pointe/advanced classes constantly constantly from her friend...

Edited by LNC

Her friend was 9yo in beginning pointe. She doesn't dance or perform on pointe yet. I explained above.

Physiologically it doesn't much matter whether you are working on pointe in a classroom or on stage. You talked about your daughter beginning pointe at 12 but not performing till 14 or 15 -- that's still being on pointe from age 12.

I too would be leery of a 9yo beginning *any* pointe work. In this case, I think your daughter is the better off of the two girls, even if it means some transitory disappointment on her part.

Also please let your daughter know that the more technique and strength she has when she begins (any) pointe work, the more quickly she will progress once she does. Putting in 5-8 hours a week now working on her technique and strength will pay off when her body is ready to begin some pointe work.

Physiologically it doesn't much matter whether you are working on pointe in a classroom or on stage. You talked about your daughter beginning pointe at 12 but not performing till 14 or 15 -- that's still being on pointe from age 12.

I too would be leery of a 9yo beginning *any* pointe work. In this case, I think your daughter is the better off of the two girls, even if it means some transitory disappointment on her part.

Also please let your daughter know that the more technique and strength she has when she begins (any) pointe work, the more quickly she will progress once she does. Putting in 5-8 hours a week now working on her technique and strength will pay off when her body is ready to begin some pointe work.

Thanks, we are starting to feel better... Comparison in any arena stinks doesn't it? Ballet is a solitary pursuit, like a lot of things!

My dd has been dancing for years... she didn't start point until almost twelve. The girls that start younger usually do not have the strength to do much and the ones that wait catch up quickly. It is a horrible idea to put a girl in pointe shoes before she is ready... it can cause all sorts of problems. You need to think long term in ballet; it is a marathon not a horse race!

I know, it is wierd about a 9yo on pointe.

The school receives permission to stage Balanchine choreography every year from the Balanchine trust for a community performance. They have several full length performances (w/an orchestra) that are almost entirely student artists with professionals brought in. Although one young lady from our church danced as a the Snow Queen at 15yo this year and everyone thought she was the professional! She is AMAZING! Her dad didn't let her start point until age 12 bc he is an orthopedist.

They really are the finest school in the state, with the most opportunities for student artists.

It just happened that my daughter's homeschooled and best friend from our church is some kind of prodigy I suppose. :tongue_smilie: I've been reading her all the posts that say later is better for pointe and she is smiling lots! She does improve year to year so much. She LOVES ballet: the discipline, the stretching, the barrework, the story ballets, and especially the Balanchine stuff like Serenade.

Edited by LNC

I researched this last year when my girls wanted to start pointe. Here is an article that I found very helpful.

Some excerpts...

When Can I Start Pointe Work?

Guidelines for Initiating Pointe Training

(Reprinted from the Journal of Dance Medicine & Science,

Volume 13, Number 3, 2009, pages 90-92.)

Abstract

The initiation of pointe training for dance students should be determined after careful evaluation of a number of factors. These include: the dance student’s stage of physical development; the quality of her (or his) trunk, abdominal and pelvic control ("core" stability); the alignment of her legs (hip-knee-ankle-foot); the strength and flexibility of her feet and ankles; and the duration and frequency of her dance training. For students who meet the requirements related to all of these factors, began ballet training at age eight or later, and who are taking ballet class at least twice per week, pointe work should be initiated in the fourth year of training. Students with poor core stability or hypermobility of the feet and ankles may require additional strengthening to allow them to safely begin pointe training. For those who are only taking ballet classes once per week, or who are not truly pre-professional, pointe training should be discouraged. No student with insufficient ankle and foot plantar flexion range of motion or with poor lower extremity alignment should be allowed to do pointe work.

Growth and Development

Can any one age be the correct answer for all students? Are all girls at the same stage of development at age 12? The answer to both questions is "No." There may be significant differences in girls' physiologic development, depending on the onset and tempo of puberty.

If bone growth in the foot is not complete at age 12, and if this is a common age at which girls begin pointe work, is there medical evidence for damage to the bones of the growing foot resulting from training on pointe? Not to our knowledge: not from studies, anecdotes, or the authors' collective personal experiences. This is not to suggest that initiation of pointe work before age 12 is harmless; indeed, by way of analogy, studies involving gymnasts have established the potential harm of repetitive microtrauma to growing bones. [11]

If neither chronological age nor bone maturation alone determines when to begin pointe work, what other factors must be considered? In the fifth (and final) edition of her seminal book Anatomy and Ballet: A Handbook for Teachers of Ballet, Celia Sparger writes: "It cannot be too strongly stressed that pointe work is the end result of slow and gradual training of the whole body, back, hips, thighs, legs, feet, co-ordination of movement and the 'placing' of the body, so that the weight is lifted upwards off the feet, with straight knees, perfect balance, with a perfect demi-pointe, and without any tendency on the part of the feet to sickle either in or out or the toes to curl or clutch. This moment will arrive at different times in different children, not only by virtue of previous training but according to their physical type, and in this may be included the growth of the bones." [12]

Risks Associated with Starting Pointe Too Early

As Ms. Sparger's statement suggests, the potential dangers to the child from being placed on pointe before she is ready have less to do with actual bone or joint damage (although these are real) than with inadequate range of motion, strength and stability. These factors may cause undue stress on the leg, pelvic girdle, and trunk.

The child with hypermobile feet and ankles is particularly at risk if placed on pointe too early. This condition, commonly described as the "over-arched" or "over-pointed" foot, can be deceptive. These students have the suppleness to achieve, or even exceed, the required pointe position, and thus they are more likely to be selected for ballet in general and pointe work in particular. However, they often lack the required strength and postural control to work safely on pointe. Prior to beginning pointe work in these students all the muscles of the leg must be strengthened, and adequate proprioceptive control developed, to facilitate correct alignment.

At the opposite end of the spectrum, the child with an inflexible foot and ankle, resulting in insufficient plantar flexion range of motion, is also at risk. To ensure proper alignment on pointe the line of the metatarsals (represented by the top surface of the forefoot) should be parallel to the line of the tibia (front of the shin) when the foot is pointed (combined ankle and foot plantar flexion). Attempting to perform pointe work without such anatomic facility will place excessive stresses not only on the foot and ankle, but also on the leg, pelvic girdle, and trunk. If there is hyperextension ("sway-back") of the knees, even more ankle and foot range of motion (plantar flexion) is needed to assure proper alignment on pointe. Unfortunately, insufficient range of motion may not improve with time, and children with these restrictions may never obtain sufficient flexibility for pointe work.

Assessing the Pre-Pointe Student

One of the factors affecting the development of muscular strength and proprioceptive ability is the age at which the child has begun studying ballet. Although movement classes beginning at age four may be beneficial for other purposes, no proper ballet training can be accomplished before age eight (both Cecchetti and Balanchine agreed on this). Another factor is the frequency with which the child takes ballet class. In general students taking ballet class once a week will progress more slowly than those taking twice a week. Those taking four ballet classes a week will progress fastest, but this frequency is usually found only in professional schools or academies.

Within any given class of 13-year-olds there will be girls in different stages of pointe work, just as there will be a variety of physiques and abilities. This places a heavy responsibility on the dance teacher. The growth and development of each student needs to be considered when determining readiness to begin pointe work. Teachers should perform their own pre-pointe assessment to ascertain whether the student has proper postural control (with good abdominal and trunk support), sufficient lower leg strength, and appropriate leg (hip-knee-ankle-foot) alignment to begin or continue working on pointe. Communication with parents is essential to explain the reasons behind every decision, thereby preventing misunderstandings.

Finally, we offer two observations that emphasize the importance of making a proper assessment of when to start pointe work. First, the dancer who is struggling to work on pointe may have difficulty developing other aspects of her ballet technique; second, due to inability to execute the movements required to dance properly on pointe, she may be prone to psychological problems, including decreased confidence and poor self-esteem. Hence, we suggest that it is wise to be conservative in choosing when to begin pointe work. As Howse notes: "There are certainly well-known dancers who were not strong enough to start their pointe work until they were over the age of sixteen and this has proved no handicap in their career." [8]

Guidelines

To summarize the above discussion we offer the following guidelines for when to begin pointe training:

1. Not before age 12.
  2. If the student is not anatomically sound (e.g., insufficient ankle and foot plantar flexion range of motion; poor lower extremity alignment), do not allow pointe work.
  3. If she is not truly pre-professional, discourage pointe training.
  4. If she has weak trunk and pelvic ("core") muscles or weak legs, delay pointe work (and consider implementing a strengthening program).
  5. If the student is hypermobile in the feet and ankles, delay pointe work (and consider implementing a strengthening program).
  6. If ballet classes are only once a week, discourage pointe training.
  7. If ballet classes are twice a week, and none of the above applies, begin in the fourth year of training.

About the authors:

David S. Weiss, M.D., is at the Harkness Center for Dance Injuries of NYU Hospital for Joint Diseases, NYU Langone Medical Center and in the Department of Orthopaedic Surgery at New York University School of Medicine, New York, New York, USA.

Rachel Anne Rist, M.A., is Director of Dance at Tring Park School for Performing Arts, Tring Park, Hertfordshire, United Kingdom.

Gayanne Grossman, P.T., Ed.M., is at Temple University, Department of Dance, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA, and Muhlenberg College, Department of Theatre and Dance, Allentown, Pennsylvania, USA.

Thanks for that, Perry - I'm going to show that to my dd.

The weird thing about this school she's at is that she's now in the beginning pointe level (even though she's not on pointe - last year was pre-pointe). Pointe work is about 1/2 hour of their 3 hours of classes weekly. My dd just does strengthening and stretches while they do pointe, and sometimes the same work on releve.

But if she doesn't pass the pointe test by the end of the year, she'll get shunted off into "intermediate ballet", which is a holding class for kids who don't get on pointe. I'm not sure if she can get back on the "track". The next level up is 3x a week and everyone's on pointe.

In some ways, from a physiological standpoint, I think it's been good she's delayed. She's a young 6th grader (summer birthday), and so with this delay, even if she gets on before the end of the year, by that time she'll be almost 12 (most of the class is already 12, I think). She's already got more than enough foot strength. She's already 5'2" and wears a size 8 1/2 ladies shoe - of course she could grow lots more - but I'd hope the feet would be slowing down soon.

What gives me pause after reading that article is that there was another girl who just started this year that passed this latest pointe test because she was very flexible, but even the teacher acknowledged she didn't have the strength yet, and the teacher just said she'd have to "work on" her strength.

This conservatory goes by skill and not ages. Her little best friend who is a tiny 9yo went on pointe last year after 1 year of ballet.

My 15 yo dd has been dancing for almost 11 years and went on pointe at age 12. She also did not get her pointe shoes when the rest of her class did. A year after going on pointe she moved to nationally/internationally recognized school. Just sharing that to say I have seen schools of different caliber and I have NEVER seen a 9 yo on pointe!! I would want to run from a school like that!

I know you have mentioned how great this school is and how great the dancers are, but I would advise you to check-up on the school from ballet sources outside your region. A good place to get information online is Ballet Talk for Dancers. (Google it) You have to join the site to have access to all the information, but they have info about preprofessional schools by region, a section for parents of dancers, info on Summer Intensive programs for when the time comes, and so much more. It is moderated by professionals, so they make sure the advice is accurate and safe. The more you know, the better decisions you can make for your daughter!

I would like to say something and really don't want it to sound condescending :) Because we learned this the hard way I would like to share. I was not a dancer and knew nothing when my dd started dance. (If you are/were a dancer ignore the rest:)) We thought she was at a great school and their productions always looked beautiful! We loved them and we always "heard" how they had always been the best in the area. All the students thought they were receiving the best training possible. Well through some unhappy personal, non-dancing circumstances we started to look elsewhere. And because my dd was now old enough to recognize good training and technique, she could see she was NOT getting the best or correct training. She changed schools and had to work very hard to correct things in her techniqe. She has improved dramatically, but still has to struggle in some areas. All this to say, educate yourself about ballet and your dd's school. Preferrably from outside, unbiased sources. Because sometimes schools are coasting on a reputation from years-gone-by and personnel who are long since dead or gone. Also, what kind of dancers is the school turning out consistently. Every once in a while a school can have a great dancer, but do most of them have good techniqe that enables them to be accepted by reputable summer intensive programs? Schools don't have to be turning out professionals every year to be good, because honestly the VAST majority of dancers won't take that route. But what are their graduating dancers doing?

But back to your original post . . . Give your daughter a hug and tell her the time will pass quickly. Dancers have to be strong to go on pointe, in addition to having the proper technique. Maybe your dd can ask her teacher for exercises she can do to help. My dd has been on pointe for 3 years now and somedays she wishes she wasn't (although I know talking about pain won't encourage your dd :001_smile:.)

We've really enjoyed the exeriences ballet has brought to our family! Hope you do too!

Mary

P.S. To be ready to go on pointe most authorities say a dancer should be taking at least 3 technique classes a week of at least one and one-half hours duration. That is before they move up to pointe, not after. They have to have the strength for pointe which they can't get a couple of time per week.

Edited by Mary in VA

There are no 10 yr olds on pointe at our ballet school. My dd (10) was just evaluated and it was a great eval, but no pointe yet! I think occass girls can be 12, but in our recent production I only saw girls who were clearly teens. The Sugar Plum Fairy and other 'plum' roles were all 17 +. Even Clara was a bit older. She was nearly as tall as the male dancer playing the Dad. :)

Edited by LibraryLover

I am pretty new to ballet, but our school has repeatedly stressed that little girl bodies, no matter how talented, are not ready for that sort of stress. Some of the excersizes and dances the younger girls do in their canvas pinks are lovely--and demanding --enough.

ETA: Thats for the above article. I know it helped me. My dd is small for her age, around 55 lbs and slight (the women in my dh's family are petite). I can't imgaine her on pointe. If she were at her full growth, I suppose it would be easier to imagine it and she might be dissapointed if all of her friends could move on and she couldn't. Yet, I think the offical recommendation of 12 makes a lot of sense.

Edited by LibraryLover

My 15 yo dd has been dancing for almost 11 years and went on pointe at age 12. She also did not get her pointe shoes when the rest of her class did. A year after going on pointe she moved to nationally/internationally recognized school. Just sharing that to say I have seen schools of different caliber and I have NEVER seen a 9 yo on pointe!! I would want to run from a school like that!

I know you have mentioned how great this school is and how great the dancers are, but I would advise you to check-up on the school from ballet sources outside your region. A good place to get information online is Ballet Talk for Dancers. (Google it) You have to join the site to have access to all the information, but they have info about preprofessional schools by region, a section for parents of dancers, info on Summer Intensive programs for when the time comes, and so much more. It is moderated by professionals, so they make sure the advice is accurate and safe. The more you know, the better decisions you can make for your daughter!

I would like to say something and really don't want it to sound condescending :) Because we learned this the hard way I would like to share. I was not a dancer and knew nothing when my dd started dance. (If you are/were a dancer ignore the rest:)) We thought she was at a great school and their productions always looked beautiful! We loved them and we always "heard" how they had always been the best in the area. All the students thought they were receiving the best training possible. Well through some unhappy personal, non-dancing circumstances we started to look elsewhere. And because my dd was now old enough to recognize good training and technique, she could see she was NOT getting the best or correct training. She changed schools and had to work very hard to correct things in her techniqe. She has improved dramatically, but still has to struggle in some areas. All this to say, educate yourself about ballet and your dd's school. Preferrably from outside, unbiased sources. Because sometimes schools are coasting on a reputation from years-gone-by and personnel who are long since dead or gone. Also, what kind of dancers is the school turning out consistently. Every once in a while a school can have a great dancer, but do most of them have good techniqe that enables them to be accepted by reputable summer intensive programs? Schools don't have to be turning out professionals every year to be good, because honestly the VAST majority of dancers won't take that route. But what are their graduating dancers doing?

But back to your original post . . . Give your daughter a hug and tell her the time will pass quickly. Dancers have to be strong to go on pointe, in addition to having the proper technique. Maybe your dd can ask her teacher for exercises she can do to help. My dd has been on pointe for 3 years now and somedays she wishes she wasn't (although I know talking about pain won't encourage your dd :001_smile:.)

We've really enjoyed the exeriences ballet has brought to our family! Hope you do too!

Mary

P.S. To be ready to go on pointe most authorities say a dancer should be taking at least 3 technique classes a week of at least one and one-half hours duration. That is before they move up to pointe, not after. They have to have the strength for pointe which they can't get a couple of time per week.[/quote

I understand what you are saying. I actually posted on Ballet Talk mom under 13, almost exactly the same post from here. You all were more reassuring and quick to post though. Love this board!

I mentioned the 9yo friend on pointe bc it affects my daughter to compare w/her, and I'm glad to know it is so unusual. This is a really good school. There are several articles about them in Pointe and Dance magazine. Many articles in our city papers. I know nothing about ballet - hence my posts! But, I do know this is the best place to dance here. Their pre-pro dancers go to very good companies and schools: Tisch/NYU, Fordham/Alvin Ailey, Boston Conservatory and companies. 6 out of 6 graduating senior last year.

Edited by LNC

I have posted here before about our ballet disappointments. My daughter is 10yo (turns 11yo in May) and has been in a level 2 ballet class at a classical ballet conservatory. This year they added a prepointe strengthening class wearing canvas slippers for level 2 students. The teachers and AD evaluated the students this month to decide who would be ready for prepointe or pointe shoes. The email came today stating the requirements for strength and coordination in great detail, and that if you were chosen you would receive an individual email. My daughter did not receive an individual email. We aren't sure how many students were chosen. They said they would reevaluate in May. She will wear her canvas slippers to prepointe class and the others students will begin to wear the shoes they were chosen to wear.

She now wonders if she will not make it into the level 3 beginning pointe class again next year when her spring evaluations come out.

She is so sad and disappointed. And discouraged.

I have encouraged her that she has many years of dance ahead of her. If she dances through high school and starts pointe at 12/13 yo she will have many years on pointe - and beautiful perfomances ahead of her. Any encouragement? Has anyone else been in this place?

:grouphug:

When I was dancing, you did not get evaluated for pointe until 12/13. However, I was told no and to pick a different style. It's hard, but that's the reality of ballet. Or any sport for that matter. I would encourage her that most ballerinas don't go to pointe until 12/13, but I would also think about what happens if they don't accept her.

Blessings!

Dorinda

Even if I wasn't shocked by the age, I think only 1 year of ballet is REALLY irresponsible. Even ABT wouldn't allow that!!! :glare:

:iagree:

I answered before I read all the other posts. This frightens me! I would interview some other studios. When we decided to move my dd, I called and visited studios all over town. I avoided studios like yours. First, because not everyone will go to pointe. The studio she's at has professionals, but they make every dancer feel important, pointe or not. Second, because they care about the whole picture. You will not see little girls on pointe or in the adult classes. Little girls are in with other little girls. Adults are with adults. And the adults are all shapes and sizes, but not all are on pointe.

I would take her and interview other studios, but don't make her think the other studios will put her on pointe. If you move her, let her know it's because the other studio was putting girls on pointe too young.

HTH!

Dorinda

I just had a random thought -- and I'm not saying it applies to you, OP -- but I know it is a trap that happens to many people, so I thought I would relay it.

In one of the places I lived, a mom I knew placed her daughter in a ballet school in a "chi-chi" part of town. It was one of those studios - the kind everyone wanted to be able to say their child attended. Now, I never investigated whether or not it was actually worth a darn, as my kid didn't want to take ballet, LOL, but I did get to listen to this mom say over and over and over how expensive was. After a while, I started to realize that she seemed to be equating "expensive" to "good". Still, I kept my mouth shut - her daughter seemed to be happy.

Then, one day, after a year or so of bi-weekly lessons, the mom announced that the instructor had "chosen" her daughter to start training for pointe - and it was a big honor, because only her daughter had been chosen. The kicker being that they needed to (obviously) attend more classes and pay more than double the fees.

Hmm.

I took ballet (not en pointe). More than this tiny little girl. So I said to her "this is so exciting! Let me see your positions, your pointe!"

OP - asta, who has not danced in forty years, had (still has) better form than this little girl.

I was speechless.

Her mom kept going on and on about how talented her kid was, and how the school was going to make her into the next Anna Pavlova... the thing was, the kid DID have natural talent, but she wasn't at the level this BS school was feeding this mom. And whatever they were teaching her wasn't good enough for the fire she had in her belly for dance. She couldn't even spot!

I think we have to be so, so careful with instructors for our children. Many "big names" turn out to be a farce, and there just seem to be so many places out there that are in it only for $$$. It's not that we won't pay for quality instruction, but it can't be ONLY about the money, KWIM?

I've rambled enough.

a

She went to ballet last night and only the 12-15 year olds in her class received pointe shoes. So, 5 out of 11 girls in the prepointe class (she also dances 3x week in ballet technique). The only girls who have prepointe shoes are the 2 whose moms went and bought them bc they signed up for the "prepointe" class and were excited and confused. They told the students that to begin in pointe younger than 12 is an extremely rare exception...

Apparently, this mid-winter evaluation was instigated by the students who noticed the 2 girls had prepointe shoes and badgered the teachers and AD if they could buy/wear them also. So, she will keep focusing on strengthening in class and they will reevaluate every spring. She is encouraged!

Edited by LNC

She went to ballet last night and only the 12-15 year olds received pointe shoes. The only girls who have prepointe shoes are the 2 whose moms went and bought them bc they signed up for the "prepointe" class and were excited and confused. They told the students that to begin in pointe younger than 12 is an extremely rare exception...

I'm glad to read that your daughter is encouraged! And frankly, even more relieved to read that they were being much more responsible than it had originally sounded. I agree with the posters above who spoke of some (stress some, obviously they aren't all this way) schools who were in it for the money more than for the safety of the children or the love of the dance. I really feared your daughter's school was one of "those".

Now your daughter will have these older girls to watch and look up to and I hope that they are a source of encouragement for your daughter to continue to work hard so that she too can earn her shoes!

I hear what you are saying. We have some personality issues with our studio.

Our studio will not allow a child to be evaluated for pointe prior to age 12. No matter how many years of training or how strong the dc might be, it is a developmental concern. We have an orthopedic surgeon on our board. If there is any question, the dc is referred to him for further eval. If the child is deemed ready, then they take at least 3 classes a week. One of those classes is pre-pointe and they get their appropriate slippers/shoes. They are reevaluated constantly. Many do not go forward that year, but must repeat the class until they are stronger. Some are removed from that class for another year. It is a safety concern.

Now, if you are having personality issues with teachers, and you think your dd is being held back unnecessarily, then that is another problem. I'm not sure how to address that except to leave and find another studio. Or drive to another studio and have her evaluated there by someone different.

The only thing I can say is that it is good that they are evaluating the students individually. I was put on pointe before I really was ready and did suffer technique-wise because of it. I know how disappointing it is to not take that next step and to see others moving ahead that are your peers, but really it is GOOD to be certain you are physically prepared for it.

:iagree:I had the same experience...I know it's hard to wait, but in this case earlier isn't always better. Sorry she's going through that disappointment!